closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Robot lawnmower

So annoying. I asked my wife to order one of those Flymo robots with her Amazon Prime account. She didn’t. Now they are full price again.

I’m sure it won’t annoy me every minute I’m mowing the lawn at the weekend. Erm.

Blog Entries
    That's annoying, maybe it's the wife's turn to get the mower out at the weekend now?

Do any of these mowers have GPS enabled boundary restriction ability? Seems you can restrict where a robot hoover goes without boundary wires/tape so seems strange not to have this functionality on a mower, or maybe there is?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    That's annoying, maybe it's the wife's turn to get the mower out at the weekend now?

Do any of these mowers have GPS enabled boundary restriction ability? Seems you can restrict where a robot hoover goes without boundary wires/tape so seems strange not to have this functionality on a mower, or maybe there is?
    GPS not accurate enough
    https://myrobotmower.com/is-there-a-...erimeter-wire/

Master

they are generations behind the vacuums for some reason in terms of tech.

my neato has laser mapping and virtual no go lines

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why not compost it or don't bother collecting it (a robot mower doesn't)?
    The Mrs doesn’t want a compost keep and moans like **** about grass cuttings in the house.

Am hoping this thing clips very fine once into its stride so the latter won’t be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    The Mrs doesn’t want a compost keep and moans like **** about grass cuttings in the house.

Am hoping this thing clips very fine once into its stride so the latter won’t be an issue.
    My Mrs used to moan about the same thing every time i mowed the lawn. Robot mower does cut it very fine, you won't get bits in the house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    My Mrs used to moan about the same thing every time i mowed the lawn. Robot mower does cut it very fine, you won't get bits in the house.
    There is a god.

If anyone has ordered two by mistake you know where I am!

Master
    Installing the Flymo 1200r on Sunday. Any advice on boundary wires? I have on area that adjoins a patio (same level) and other sections are into privet.

Installing the Flymo 1200r on Sunday. Any advice on boundary wires? I have on area that adjoins a patio (same level) and other sections are into privet.
    If the patio is level with the grass and the mower can drive onto it, you can put the wire close to the patio so the mower will go onto it and cut right up to the edge. For the edges near the privet, if there is a drop off into a border, use the recommended distance in the instructions, if the mower could travel slightly under the privet, you can go a bit closer to get better coverage. You can always move the wire if you think it could go closer once you get an idea of how near the edge its cutting and if it could get in closer to the privet.
    In each corner, leave a little loop of spare wire, it will enable you to pull a bit of slack through if you ever get a break that needs joining

Master
    Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    In each corner, leave a little loop of spare wire, it will enable you to pull a bit of slack through if you ever get a break that needs joining
    This is the best advice you can get!

Also, if your lawn is very mossy, watch out over time as the robot cuts it down in height. I started at height = 5 on my mossfest... then after each week.. 4, 3, 2. The robot coped SO well, but as the moss height reduces, your guide wires start to sit up proud with slack in them. I must have had half a dozen breaks over a month, particularly on the return to home guide wire.

One year in... it's all good now though. Not a wire in sight.

Master
    I read that these robo mowers are causing problems for hedgehogs, as in running over them as all the hedgehog does is curl up in a ball. This causes immense damage to these endangered creatures, I hope the manufacturers sort this out pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I read that these robo mowers are causing problems for hedgehogs, as in running over them as all the hedgehog does is curl up in a ball. This causes immense damage to these endangered creatures, I hope the manufacturers sort this out pronto.
    I've read this too. I have two Husqvarna robotic mowers and live in a very rural area with regular sightings of hedgehogs. I also have a couple of hedgehog houses around the garden. A reasonably local rescue centre uses my property to release hedgehogs several times a year and not once have I ever seen evidence of a hedgehog, or any other animal for that matter, being killed or injured by the mowers. I tend not to use the mowers through the night but one does operate until 11pm in the Summer months. One of the design features that Husqvarna implements to minimise the risk is to use pivoting blades that flick into the disc when they hit anything much harder than the grass.
    Last edited by Skier; 20th July 2019 at 16:21.

Can only be baby ones getting chopped, can't see how a grown one could get run over, there's only a 50mm clearance under the front bumper so it should just push them out the way. If it did ride up and over one, it would detect a front lift and cut the motor. Just read a report that said numbers are very low and far more are killed by cars.

Master
    Did the install on the Flymo 1200r today. After finding the measuring tape and working out all the portions of the garden it turns out we’ve got 260sqm and programmed accordingly.

Luckily it pissed it down on Friday so the ground was nice and soft to bury the boundary and control wires. Used an edging tool as it was easier than a spade.

‘Percy (Mower)’ as he is now named did a few test runs and is now going up shaving the grass.

Probably wouldn’t have bothered with this but for the positive comments from folk on here, so thank you everyone, you’ve saved a me a weekly chore!

Did the install on the Flymo 1200r today. After finding the measuring tape and working out all the portions of the garden it turns out we’ve got 260sqm and programmed accordingly.

Luckily it pissed it down on Friday so the ground was nice and soft to bury the boundary and control wires. Used an edging tool as it was easier than a spade.

‘Percy (Mower)’ as he is now named did a few test runs and is now going up shaving the grass.

Probably wouldn’t have bothered with this but for the positive comments from folk on here, so thank you everyone, you’ve saved a me a weekly chore!
    Nice, enjoy
    I see you've given him a name already, Percy Mower, excellent. Mine is Mowin' Ali, anyone else given there's a name?

Nice, enjoy
    I see you've given him a name already, Percy Mower, excellent. Mine is Mowin' Ali, anyone else given there's a name?
    Yep, my first was named Patrick (Mower), the second, to keep the genders equal, is called Lorna.

Mobot-not that original but apt.

Master
    Nice, enjoy
    I grew up watching Blue Peter, and Percy Thrower = gardening.

Mowin’ Ali is hilariously brilliant!

"Robo Chop" is what ours gets called!

Blog Entries
    Seems that they’ve become part of the family?

I’ve seen one in Aldi in France reduced 250 Euros…. Would.be tempted if I didn't have the house on the market!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Seems that they’ve become part of the family?

I’ve seen one in Aldi in France reduced 250 Euros…. Would.be tempted if I didn't have the house on the market!
    I might be renting our gaff. An installed lawnmower solution is a real USP!

Chomper after the robot in Star Wars rebels

Craftsman
    I actually enjoyed cutting grass while walking behind a powerful 4 stroke lawn mover with driven back wheels.
    But what sold me on the robots is the quality of the lawn, so lush and nice to walk on bare feet.

Master

Robot lawnmower

I asked my Dad to make a house for my Flymo 1200r.

Couldn’t stop laughing when this turned up!

almost 5 months now since I've cut my grass. Best purchase of 2019 easily.

When do you put yours away- as the grass doesn't grow beyond a certain height its not so easy to guess when to stop mowing.

About now is probably right. You can always get it back out again if we get a warm spell.
    I leave mine out all year (though not turned on or mowing) as i have nowhere to store it, both the garage and shed are infested with rats&mice that like to chew and nest in everything, so i think it would come to more harm getting chewed in there than left out on the lawn. Didn't seem to do it any harm last winter

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    they are generations behind the vacuums for some reason in terms of tech.

my neato has laser mapping and virtual no go lines
    The future is coming
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMTf4ecOvKE

Blog Entries
    But, a mast?!!

But, a mast?!!
    I'm assuming it's a differential GPS tranmitter. If that's the case you wouldn't necessarily need a mast/pole; it could be mounted on a garage wall etc. Husqvarna call it EPOS but there's no technical info on the website.
    Last edited by Skier; 22nd October 2019 at 18:13.

I don’t know why i need this in my life but I do.

About now is probably right. You can always get it back out again if we get a warm spell.
    I leave mine out all year (though not turned on or mowing) as i have nowhere to store it, both the garage and shed are infested with rats&mice that like to chew and nest in everything, so i think it would come to more harm getting chewed in there than left out on the lawn. Didn't seem to do it any harm last winter
    I have a dog kennel style shed for it so may just leave in that over winter. will turn off this weekend.

Master
    Thanks to this thread I purchased a Worx Landroid in the sale as an impulse purchase, its been brilliant, manufacturers say its ok to leave them out all year round and mine is still going out once a week but im keen to know what others do at this time of year

PS loving the dog kennel idea

Mine still go out every other day as the grass is still growing and will continue to do so until the temperature drops below 7C. I only bring mine into the garage when the temperature is forecast to be close to or below 0C. In the depths of Winter I take them to the local dealer for a service, thorough clean and software updates.

Mine is still out and about, while the grass still grows slowly. Hours reduced heavily though and its tending to slip and get stuck a bit more than when the ground is dry.

Mine's done 2 seasons now. Whats the service recommendations for these (Husqvarna 105). I give it a good clean down and it's been flawless so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Mine is still out and about, while the grass still grows slowly. Hours reduced heavily though and its tending to slip and get stuck a bit more than when the ground is dry.

Mine's done 2 seasons now. Whats the service recommendations for these (Husqvarna 105). I give it a good clean down and it's been flawless so far.
    When I purchased mine (one 2.5 years ago, the other 1.5 years ago) the warranty was extended from 2 to 3 years if you had them serviced once a year. Aside from a good clean, the dealer performs any software updates though what else is done I'm not certain. Given that it's a couple of circuit boards and three motors I'm not sure what other real mainatenace there is to do.
    Last edited by Skier; 24th October 2019 at 14:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    When I purchased mine (one 2.5 years ago, the other 1.5 years ago) the warranty was extended from 2 to 3 years if you had them serviced once a year. Aside from a good clean, the dealer performs any software updates though what else is done I'm not certain. Given that it's a couple of circuit boards and two motors I'm not sure what other real mainatenace there is to do.
    A good clean down is about the height of it. There's a few videos on youtube of services being done. I bought a water damaged 105 that had only been used for a day before it went for a river swim! Couldn't get it working in the end, but it was interesting to strip down for spares for my main mower. As you say, its a plastic tub, 3 motors and a main board. Not much to it physically.

Craftsman
    In case anyone has, like me, been inspired to get a robot mower because of this thread but been sitting on the fence because of the cost, the Flymo 1200R is now on sale at Argos for £400

Mine is now sitting in the garage on charge and will set a new record for the longest delay before being able to use a new toy.

This looks like an interesting development: https://www.volta.ai/mora/

No boundary wires. Drop and mow.

The boundary wires really aren’t much work to put down, even less so if you peg them down. I buried mine using an edging tool and didn’t take me long .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    The boundary wires really aren’t much work to put down, even less so if you peg them down. I buried mine using an edging tool and didn’t take me long .
    This x2

My robot mower has been a revelation!

True enough - and my boundary has been fault free after 2 years now.

I was more interested in the fact that this one SEES where its going and stops when it needs to. They're touting it as the "uber" of mowers... imagine if a contractor had a fleet of them - he could pop one or two on lawns whilst working at bedding.

For myself. it'd be SO handy for dropping onto my elderly in law's garden every Sunday we visit!

Seems to work rather well:

Top tip for the husqvarna and possibly the flymo owners too: press and hold 7 and 9 on your keypad.

Enter expert mode! Some great stats menus in there and diagnostics.

When’s everyone restarting the mowers? Or have you left it running over winter?

I usually wait till March, but if it stays mild, I might send mine out late Feb. My gardens are riddled with moss so they're too damp and slippy right now.

I must treat them with something this year to combat the moss.

Journeyman
    I’ll give it till mid late March weather dependent!

Master

Robot lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I usually wait till March, but if it stays mild, I might send mine out late Feb. My gardens are riddled with moss so they're too damp and slippy right now.

I must treat them with something this year to combat the moss.
    At the end of last summer I bought a scarifier off from Amazon for £60. It got about 3 of those one tonne aggregate bags filled with thatch. I then overseeded and fertilised the lawn and it seems to trick with regards to the moss and many of the weeds.

From memory it’s recommended to do do early spring and early autumn. Not for the faint hearted as the grass looks awful for a a while!

1st September

5th October

Last edited by Chalet; 24th January 2020 at 19:00.

Apprentice

New Husqvarna today

Good day all,

Received a Husqvarna automower 310 model today....Would anyone know how to check for date of manufacture?

Thank you in advance,
    Tamtoot

Pop the hatch open and look at the label on the underside. I think it's on there.