closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replica Pelagos on eBay

Apprentice

Replica Pelagos on eBay

Don’t normally post but I’ve been looking for a pelagos and came across this fake on eBay, I’d reported this item but two days later it’s still up. If anyone’s got a minute if you could report it too it might save someone getting burnt

Cheers!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223424799345

Why is it fake, apart from the ‘I inherited it’ description?

Master
    “... I am guessing it is genuine Tudor but cannot be sure so please bid on this understanding...”. That’s not likely to fill a potential buyer with confidence.

Apprentice
    I guess I can’t say 100% it’s fake but it’s more than suspect, the owner had also refused to send more detailed pictures, which is a reasonable request when the provided pictures are low res and in bad lighting. Compounded by no box or papers and the need to specify that the watch ‘might’ be fake, I’d put money on it being fake.

Master
    Finishing looks ok, although i haven’t compared against photos of a real one. May be real but possibly stolen...?

Apprentice
    Replicas are astonishingly well finished these days if you pay enough. Looks like the fakes ship with a spare rubber strap that’s only 2 parts where the genuine has 3, not helping the case. I also struggle with the fact for £10 car parts he manages higher res photos with decent lighting but won’t do the same for a 3k watch?
    Last edited by rizza; 3rd March 2019 at 09:02.

Master
    Having just done a bit of research, this is a model I would be really cautious about buying without provenance...this seems scarily close!!

https://www.dealerclocks.cn/products...00tb-blue-dial

Craftsman
    Whether it is fake or not, the seller is being pretty upfront and not trying to pass it off as definitely 100% genuine either. They might genuinely know absolutely nothing about watches and they are also willing to meet face to face.

I wouldn't buy it but see nothing wrong with the advert really.

Also, would anybody really bother to go to the trouble of trying to replicate something as boring as a Tudor?

Apprentice
    If you’re not sure get it checked by a professional rather than adding a lame disclosure that it ‘might’ be fake? If this watch was going for a couple hundred, whatever the buyer is probably happy buying a fake for that, but it’s close to a grand now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Having just done a bit of research, this is a model I would be really cautious about buying without provenance...this seems scarily close!!

https://www.dealerclocks.cn/products...00tb-blue-dial
    Note that a lot of sites purporting to sell replica watches are scammers, and use photos of the genuine item to draw people in. I don't know whether this particular site falls into that category, but in general I wouldn't trust an image on an unknown replica dealer site.

It's either been seriously abused, looking at the bracelet screws and clasp or it's not genuine Tudor. The clasp does look suspicious. I certainly wouldn't buy anything described the way it is. And I don't buy the inherited story... strange the watch, strap and extra links are together but no box, papers etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Note that a lot of sites purporting to sell replica watches are scammers, and use photos of the genuine item to draw people in. I don't know whether this particular site falls into that category, but in general I wouldn't trust an image on an unknown replica dealer site.
    Hadn’t considered that! So it may be a fake fake 😄

That is unquestionably a fake.
    You'll notice the seller's photos conveniently have the dial text obscured by the hands in the photos but there are other issues with it.

Craftsman
    It's a valuable watch, the seller is tentatively suggesting it might be a fake as he thinks it absolves him of any wrong doing. Obviously, it's a fake, and they know it's a fake. You don't need to know anything about the particular watch, it could be any valuable watch. The seller is TELLING everyone it is a fake!

Master
    Love the crown shot, looks like the crown guards have just been constructed out of chemical metal. Total trash.

Seller’s a lying swine!

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    It's a valuable watch, the seller is tentatively suggesting it might be a fake as he thinks it absolves him of any wrong doing. Obviously, it's a fake, and they know it's a fake. You don't need to know anything about the particular watch, it could be any valuable watch. The seller is TELLING everyone it is a fake!
    This ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    Well - he’s carefully wording it, so as not to scare off everyone - sufficient numbers of people will see the plausibility in his story, and think it is a bargain.

Craftsman
    Checked it against my LHD, adjustable bracelet wrong and as pointed out the crown guards are really bad. There is also no divers extension on the bracelet, doubt it would have been removed (but could have).
    Last edited by Andrew S; 4th March 2019 at 09:49.

eBay threads annoy me (apologies to OP).

Who ‘inherits’ a watch and sticks it on eBay for £950 without taking it to an AD for authentication...

I’m getting worked up even typing this response. I’m getting old and grumpy !!!

Craftsman
    Do You think He has His mates bidding on it?If no one else bites He can then cancel the sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    eBay threads annoy me (apologies to OP).

Who ‘inherits’ a watch and sticks it on eBay for £950 …*
    They don't. They start at £0 and idiots bid on it. Still annoying though

Master
    As soon as you read the “inherited” story on an eBay listing you know it’s a fake.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    As soon as you read the “inherited” story on an eBay listing you know it’s a fake.
    That, or my uncle gave it to me 😆

Master

Report it chaps (if you haven’t) it’s easy to do, the ‘report’ link is on the advert page.

Craftsman
    Reported. That's a pretty poor fake tho, i gotta say.

Sent me this today.

Master

Thumbs up

You pick up the rest of the C when you collect the warranty card with these.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    The “I”s are rather inconsistent too.

Going back to his original eBay photos - the hands are carefully aligned to obscure most of the writing..........
    Last edited by blackal; 4th March 2019 at 11:11.

Master
    Presumably believes that the claim to not know whether it is authentic gives some protection when it is proved not to be. Where the law stands on that, I don’t know but if buying from eBay wasn’t risky enough, failing to heed the obvious warnings is plain daft.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    The “I”s are rather inconsistent too.

Going back to his original eBay photos - the hands are carefully aligned to obscure most of the writing..........
    It's a terrible picture though. The dial looks a whole lot better in the pics on the eBay listing. Despite the hand placement, the 'C' is clearly visible in 'Chronometer'.

The helium escape looks wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post

Sent me this today.
    Unless you resized it to post, it looks a little Photoshopped on my iPad Mini. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Unless you resized it to post, it looks a little Photoshopped on my iPad Mini. :-\
    No resizing

Yuk.

Is it Howdy?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

There are too many sellers on eBay selling high end fakes with the caveat that they cannot prove authenticity. It doesn't matter if it a watch or designer bags and clothes. These people know they are selling fakes

No resizing
    i haven't looked in Photoshop, but on my 15" Chromebook, there's a odd pixelation around the lower lettering. Either it's pasted in, or it's a flat label applied to the dial that showed up in the light. Highly suspicious to my eye.

BTW, reporting to eBay now includes the reasoning "item description includes disclaimer about authenticity of item." Apparently it's now a policy violation to simply claim that the item may not be genuine? SWEET. [Tried to upload screenshot, but forum upload restrictions wouldn't allow even a small PNG.]
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 4th March 2019 at 21:05.

Master
    BTW, reporting to eBay now includes the reasoning "item description includes disclaimer about authenticity of item." Apparently it's now a policy violation to simply claim that the item may not be genuine? SWEET.
    There’s no good reason to disclaim authenticity. No-one who thought they had a genuine expensive brand watch would list it without asking a jeweller for an opinion.

Journeyman

Sent me this today.

Looks like my 6yo boy has drawn a picture of a Pelagos, that's simply not a £3k watch you're looking at.

Master
    [QUOTE=henk;5040042]Anyone buying a watch on eBay is asking for trouble!!!

Nonsense! As is so much of what you say here.

Craftsman
    Sadly some unsuspecting bargain hunters is likely to get stung.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

If I died my mrs would put my watches on Ebay not knowing what they're worth but saying 'I'm sure they're real but can't prove it's because she couldn't. All boxes and papers are at the back of a cupboard somewhere and they'd probably just get binned because they're just old packaging aren't they?

To me the fakes on the bay are quite obvious but I'm sure the real deal slips through occasionally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    If I died my mrs would put my watches on Ebay not knowing what they're worth but saying 'I'm sure they're real but can't prove it's because she couldn't. All boxes and papers are at the back of a cupboard somewhere and they'd probably just get binned because they're just old packaging aren't they?

To me the fakes on the bay are quite obvious but I'm sure the real deal slips through occasionally.
    Very, very rarely these days. There’s many people who will regularly check eBay for poorly listed adverts looking for that type of thing. I’ve done it for a few years and even on really bad ads with poor pics stuff goes for decent money. I actually think sometimes it fires people up more thinking they’ll get a bargain and holding their interest.

The best one in recent years was the guy that bought all the old Submariner bezels for a song. That slipped under the radar for sure.

Master
    Loads of them!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-s-Rol...h/183716275007

Not even using the model name but a very touching description:

"Men's Rolex Oyster Perpetual watch. Only worn a couple of times and left to me by Father who recently passed away. Wanting to sell so I can put the money towards a good send off for him."

I wonder if Rolex etc. owners with money-grabbing, poorly educated offspring have a higher mortality rate than the general population.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Anyone buying a watch on eBay is asking for trouble!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have bought a few watches from eBay and I was never disappointed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Loads of them!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-s-Rol...h/183716275007

Not even using the model name but a very touching description:

"Men's Rolex Oyster Perpetual watch. Only worn a couple of times and left to me by Father who recently passed away. Wanting to sell so I can put the money towards a good send off for him."

Must have been very recently if the funeral's not yet happened?! Listing seems to have disappeared.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Must have been very recently if the funeral's not yet happened?! Listing seems to have disappeared.
    I suspect that it's the 1 in 10 times eBay removes a fake!

This is an alternative approach. Presumably not even a fake watch, just images nicked from others listings/sites:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rolex-sub...l/352609530226

"Hi I have my fathers rolex submariner, black face, stainless steel, in great condition selling as this was from my dads collection no longer required."

Another eBay account created today with, surprise surprise, no feedback.

This is an alternative approach. Presumably not even a fake watch, just images nicked from others listings/sites:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rolex-sub...l/352609530226

"Hi I have my fathers rolex submariner, black face, stainless steel, in great condition selling as this was from my dads collection no longer required."

Another eBay account created today with, surprise surprise, no feedback.
    LMAO at that opening bid. "Not sure what it's worth, here let's start the bidding at the cost of a low thread count set of sheets, pre-owned, may need laundering."

Craftsman
    Well. The Pelagos is still on eBay with two days to run.
    No idea how many people have reported it.

Are eBay listening!

Master
    What’s interesting is the seller is probably viewing this thread too. Thinking about it, they’re obviously full of xxxx with the “inherited” line so they know exactly what they have. No doubt a member of many online forums to find a replica of that level.

In fact given the detective levels of some on here I’m surprised nobody has matched up the location and some previously sold shoes (that cross over to SC) or something haha

I have noticed with eBay that they’ll happily remove Rolex fakes when reported but I often see other brands going ignored.

Report it, it’s easy. They may need a certain amount of strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Well. The Pelagos is still on eBay with two days to run.
    No idea how many people have reported it.

Are eBay listening!
    Doubt it. They're unlikely to kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs, sadly!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.