closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newbie question - removing links from watch bracelet

Apprentice

Newbie question - removing links from watch bracelet

Hi everyone

I've made the plunge to purchase my first 'proper' watch and I've got a Tudor Black Bay (79220R). It will need some links removing from the bracelet since my wrists are quite small but I'm not sure where to get this done. Should I use somewhere generic like a watch repair stand in a shopping centre or go to a Tudor AD?

Is it the 'done thing' to take your watch to a jeweller that you didn't make the original purchase from?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I really am clueless!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stansmith View Post
    Hi everyone

I've made the plunge to purchase my first 'proper' watch and I've got a Tudor Black Bay (79220R). It will need some links removing from the bracelet since my wrists are quite small but I'm not sure where to get this done. Should I use somewhere generic like a watch repair stand in a shopping centre or go to a Tudor AD?

Is it the 'done thing' to take your watch to a jeweller that you didn't make the original purchase from?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I really am clueless!

Thanks
    Tudor AD will do it for nowt…. They’ll probably even poor you a coffee

Master
    Should I use somewhere generic like a watch repair stand in a shopping centre
    Do not let someone like that anywhere near a watch costing more than £10!

go to a Tudor AD?
    Yes, if you aren’t comfortable doing it youself, definitely go somewhere where they are familiar with the watch. Maybe ring round a see how much they charge if you didn’t buy from an AD who you would expect to do it for nothing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yes, if you aren’t comfortable doing it youself, definitely go somewhere where they are familiar with the watch. Maybe ring round a see how much they charge if you didn’t buy from an AD who you would expect to do it for nothing.
    I agree with this.

But best in the longer run to learn how to do it oneself and to get the right tools.

Apprentice
    OK thanks for the advice, I'll ask in the jewelers instead.

Is it hard to change the bracelet for a strap? I want to wear it with a NATO on the weekend.

Blog Entries
    Is it hard to change the bracelet for a strap? I want to wear it with a NATO on the weekend.
    Depends on exactly how it is attached to the watch head (spring bars are the usual method) but usually not too difficult. It's a knack. Practice and experience help a lot.

It's well worth buying the best tools from Bergeon. I forget the model numbers you need for standard spring bars -- I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with them.

They come with a pointy tool and either a fine fork or a 'wide' fork. You'll need both. The fine fork works best when removing bracelets and the wider fork when removing straps. These parts can be bought separately.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post

They come with a pointy tool and either a fine fork or a 'wide' fork. You'll need both. The fine fork works best when removing bracelets and the wider fork when removing straps. These parts can be bought separately.
    I've found myself doing just that - I ordered the 6767S (pin and 3mm fork) which worked a treat when removing a canvas strap from one watch, I've just ponied up a couple of quid to get the replacement fine end (1mm fork) for getting the metal bracelet off of another watch. I suspect the 6767F (which has the pin and 1mm fork) might've been Good Enough from the start, but time will tell.

Master
    Google or youtube 'adjusting Tudor black bay bracelet' and you'll get a decent selection of tips and hints plus the tools you'll need. I'm pretty sure they're screwed links.

A basic watch tool kit can be had for a tenner. Add in a decent set of precision screwdrivers and you're set.

It's satisfying to do these doable things yourself, especially to get that perfect fit.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll buy some tools and learn to do some of this stuff myself.

Practice on something cheaper, or apply masking tape to prevent the inevitable scratches. The black bay bracelet (from memory) is one of the fiddlier ones to remove.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Practice on something cheaper, or apply masking tape to prevent the inevitable scratches.
    Applying masking tape is a must when changing or adjusting a bracelet. Sadly, I have not followed this advice in the past. In result, a few cases and bracelets scratched.

Journeyman
    Can be very stiff when new so AD will do best job. If you didn't buy the watch there, they might ask you to pay £20 like they do in Kingston.

Craftsman
    £20 seems to be the standard amount of money they ask for for small jobs if you didnt buy it from them