closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Alpinist

Craftsman

Seiko Alpinist

Anyone on here got or had a Seiko Alpinist SARB-017?

Its a watch I've only recently taken notice of and I'm quite impressed with them.

I imagine the looks aren't to everyone's taste but its certainly unique looking.

Would be interested in opinions on them...

I still love the look, absolutely gorgeous things in decent photos, but for me the dial didn't live up to the pictures and it also felt too small and too thick for its size. A huge disappointment for me, I wanted one so badly and it just didn't measure up.

Had mine from new - Sept 2017. As you say, each to their own, but it really is a lovely thing with a lot of nice design touches. I'm a big fan. Makes a nice change from black or white dialled watches and the Alpinist history is a bonus as is the size. Can't fault it for the money (as with so much from Seiko).

If you get the chance to own one, go for it!

Craftsman
    Certainly seems to divide opinion.

I quite like it and as mentioned the dial is a nice change from typical blacks and silvers.

I think I will give one a try and I would imagine they're easy to move on if I decide against it.

They seem to have a bit of a following.

Craftsman
    Alpinist ordered so I'll update with my thought soon!

I had one for a while. It took me probably years to get around to owning one as I was always on the fence about the gold hands. Once I had worn it for a while I knew it wasn't for me and sold it on.

In reality I was probably trying to relive my teenage years when I was wearing this

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I had one for a while. It took me probably years to get around to owning one as I was always on the fence about the gold hands. Once I had worn it for a while I knew it wasn't for me and sold it on.

In reality I was probably trying to relive my teenage years when I was wearing this

There is a certain resemblance there. Well I got mine at a decent price so if it doesn't work out I shouldn't lose any money.

I owned one for about six years. Goes well on leather, bracelet, and especially nato straps. One of the most versatile watches out in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I owned one for about six years. Goes well on leather, bracelet, and especially nato straps. One of the most versatile watches out in my opinion.
    I fancy trying it on some NATO's, a quick google images gives some inspiration.

Strapcode bracelets look decent

Journeyman
    Wearing mine as I type, (this thread inspired me to put it on)
    I like it, wish it was a little bit bigger my only complaint

Scottie

Journeyman
    Love mine. Original strap not very comfortable, but wears very well on a Strapcode bracelet. I don't find it too small, but then I have circa 6.75" wrists.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WestwardBound View Post
    Love mine. Original strap not very comfortable, but wears very well on a Strapcode bracelet. I don't find it too small, but then I have circa 6.75" wrists.
    Yes I have no intention of using the original strap. Probably NATO for the most part. I have 7.5” wrists but tend to like smaller watches 36-40mm.

Strapcode bracelets definitely look worthy of a try. Nice that they’re designed specifically for the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    Wearing mine as I type, (this thread inspired me to put it on)
    I like it, wish it was a little bit bigger my only complaint

Scottie
    Glad to hear it. I hope I don’t find it too small. They don’t tend to look small in photos. Probably due to the double crown?

I had one for about a year.

Pro’s:

Great case size and shape. Almost prefect actually. Great lume in terms of brightness. Good movement and sapphire crystal. Good power reserve. 200m WR. Pretty durable ie can easily be worn as a dress watch but tough enough for every day use. Still good value even if the price has gone up since they were discontinued.

Con’s:

Lume not easily distinguishable as 12 marker not differentiated from others. Inner rotating compass bezel feels a bit cheap & gimmicky, has a tendancy to move on its own and the added crown is a negative on the aesthetic. The strap is atrocious. Easily remedied of course, but factor that into the cost. Green dial. This isn’t a con as such - in fact it’s a beautiful sunburst green dial, it’s just that it’s very marmite and doesn’t go with everything. I had no issue with it, some can’t get past it.

If you fancy one just go for it. They won’t depreciate and you won’t know if it’s for you til you’ve spent some time wearing it day to day. I really enjoyed mine but chose to sell it to fund other watch purchases in the end.

Journeyman
    I have both green and blue(Hodinkee)Alpinists.

The green is my favourite in all honesty and I wear it most of the time and love it.I changed the strap to a matching one in brown to the blue faced watch-I bought it from Sydney Straps and have been very pleased with it-the strap supplied with the watch is rubbish but easily changed.

Considering brand new green Alpinists are still available for £375 I feel this is something of a bargain-it’s a beautiful watch with quality above its price point.

I do agree with the comments above about the lume and the compass ring moving on its own but for me they are minor annoyances.

Last edited by marselluswallace; 25th June 2019 at 23:51.

I absolutely love mine.

Only recently have I taken an interest in Seiko as a brand in general but I seem to have quickly acquired 3 of what I think are great value and superbly built watches. The Alpinist is my most worn of these 3 and probably my most worn watch, full stop. It’s currently on one of Eddie’s deployant NATO straps, which suits it down to the ground.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I had one for about a year.

Pro’s:

Great case size and shape. Almost prefect actually. Great lume in terms of brightness. Good movement and sapphire crystal. Good power reserve. 200m WR. Pretty durable ie can easily be worn as a dress watch but tough enough for every day use. Still good value even if the price has gone up since they were discontinued.

Con’s:

Lume not easily distinguishable as 12 marker not differentiated from others. Inner rotating compass bezel feels a bit cheap & gimmicky, has a tendancy to move on its own and the added crown is a negative on the aesthetic. The strap is atrocious. Easily remedied of course, but factor that into the cost. Green dial. This isn’t a con as such - in fact it’s a beautiful sunburst green dial, it’s just that it’s very marmite and doesn’t go with everything. I had no issue with it, some can’t get past it.

If you fancy one just go for it. They won’t depreciate and you won’t know if it’s for you til you’ve spent some time wearing it day to day. I really enjoyed mine but chose to sell it to fund other watch purchases in the end.
    Sounds like a fair assessment.

I find it quite an interesting looking watch, only time will tell if its a keeper but as you mention it shouldn't depreciate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I absolutely love mine.

Only recently have I taken an interest in Seiko as a brand in general but I seem to have quickly acquired 3 of what I think are great value and superbly built watches. The Alpinist is my most worn of these 3 and probably my most worn watch, full stop. It’s currently on one of Eddie’s deployant NATO straps, which suits it down to the ground.
    Totally agree, they seem to have some good offerings. The SARB series seem very good but from what I've read the current equivalents are of a lower standard.

I'm liking the look of the SARB-33 also

Craftsman
    If you find the thickness of the modern-day alpinist too much, the 4s15 ones have much better case diameter / thickness ratio. Much more wearable (and much better movement).

Journeyman
    I've had one for about six months. While I like it, and think it is a very nice watch for the price, I'm finding it hard to fit in with my wardrobe. The green dial and gold hands and hour markers look good, but are hard for me to match with anything I wear. And the watch seems either too dressy, or not dressy enough.

Trying to love it; liking it, yes. But not loving it, at the moment. Will try another leather bank, I think. Not sure what the future will hold for it.

Love mine. As said find a better strap, I use one from Colareb.

Main con is the green dial only looks great in specific angles due to the lack of AR. Some carefully staged pictures show the beauty of the dial but from most angles they are not like that. Just google pictures and most have a white haze due to the crystal.

Solved this - inspired by someone here - by adding an AR crystal. Yobokies has them flat and double dome and I picked the latter. Green now really pops under most angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just be careful buying, lots of fakes on eBay now. Make sure the Seiko logo is crisp, flat and sharp & the serial no doesn’t start 841 and make sure they don’t have blue crown stickers, clear case back sticker with red stripe. Compare the case and crowns to a reliable pic, the fakes are wrong all over but they’re selling on eBay and eBay ignore my reporting (and others) guess it’s not rolex.

Craftsman
    Just to update this thread I managed to get an Alpinist and am very impressed with it.

Just as I had read it is more impressive in the flesh. I love the size as I don’t really like larger watches.

It came with a aftermarket bi-Metal bracelet that I had intentions of selling immediately but as it turns out I quite like it for the time being.

I will probably look into a strap code bracelet, either super oyster or Angus or a genuine seiko bracelet and possibly a nato.

Great catch. Looks great on NATO, leather or bracelet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Great catch. Looks great on NATO, leather or bracelet.

Certainly does, I like the striped one best but both look good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Just be careful buying, lots of fakes on eBay now. Make sure the Seiko logo is crisp, flat and sharp & the serial no doesn’t start 841 and make sure they don’t have blue crown stickers, clear case back sticker with red stripe. Compare the case and crowns to a reliable pic, the fakes are wrong all over but they’re selling on eBay and eBay ignore my reporting (and others) guess it’s not rolex.
    Thanks, the one I've got seems legit. Serial no. doesn't start 841 either. Will post a pic soon

Journeyman
    Love the dial, not the hands... the SARG series, oh yes! :)

Beautiful!

Craftsman

Bracelet came with watch and I had intentions of selling it on but I actually don't mind it for the time being. The original strap is unused and I have no intention of using it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hrvoje View Post
    Love the dial, not the hands... the SARG series, oh yes! :)

Beautiful!
    Very nice, will have to look that model up!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Very nice, will have to look that model up!
    I think it's SARG007