closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The state of the collection thread

I'm down to these four and I've not bought another watch for months.
    However, after losing interest in watches for a while, I've started to look at watches again in the last few days!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I always felt most comfortable with about six. The problem is I've not been able to get back down to that number for years, because I tend to like the watches that I buy
    If I was trying to work that collection down to a hard limit of 6, this is what I think I'd do

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If I was trying to work that collection down to a hard limit of 6, this is what I think I'd do
    Vicious but I think you've found an idea for a new thread.

Critique my collection. What would you bin?

Could be quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    I'm down to these four and I've not bought another watch for months.
    However, after losing interest in watches for a while, I've started to look at watches again in the last few days!

Would you mind telling me what and where you got the case/roll please

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Yes, you’ve probably got it just about right. However, both the Panerai and the TT Sub are worthy contenders and could just as easily be in as out. In other words, yes - I could get down to eight for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Vicious but I think you've found an idea for a new thread.

Critique my collection. What would you bin?

Could be quite fun.
    Might get some Bear Pit vendettas spilling over with guys crossing out someone’s complete collection.

Quote Originally Posted by RogDen View Post
    Would you mind telling me what and where you got the case/roll please

Yes of course. It's a Carapaz watch roll...

https://carapaz.com/

Not a full SOTC, but I was updating certain valuation details for some of the collection over the weekend. Not the finest photo in the world (I haven’t got the time (or the know-how) to do a Tony/Jocke type collage!)...

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    Yes of course. It's a Carapaz watch roll...

https://carapaz.com/
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Might get some Bear Pit vendettas spilling over with guys crossing out someone’s complete collection.
    The pettiness of that would be quite humorous
    Anyone doing that would quickly identify themselves as massive throbber for all to see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Not a full SOTC, but I was updating certain valuation details for some of the collection over the weekend. Not the finest photo in the world (I haven’t got the time (or the know-how) to do a Tony/Jocke type collage!)...

I love the way the Aquanaut is just resting there on its side. Quite a set you have there! It would be great to have a walk through of each one when you have more time? All the best. M
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Your full STOC is going to be worth more than most of our houses.

Some great examples there.

Don't worry bud, with a little bit of hard work and a positive attitude you'll be able to get something nice and new some day. Hang in there.

If people want to out themselves as petty they can but I'd be up for it.

I'm not going to cry when someone calls my collection boring, repetitive and everything that's wrong with modern Rolex.

Might even do it in the Bear Pit to let everyone let rip.

Master

Very impressive
    As Martyn said an individual rundown on the vintage stuff would be appreciated

No single shot, but this is my lot as it stands right now. Zero intention to change anything, but you never know what might crop up at any given time

I can help you if you are willing to sell me the CWC back

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I can help you if you are willing to sell me the CWC back
    Funnily enough, I get as much enjoyment from wearing that as I do from any of the others. It's a perfect little everyday watch that oozes charm.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I love the way the Aquanaut is just resting there on its side. Quite a set you have there! It would be great to have a walk through of each one when you have more time? All the best. M
    Very impressive
    As Martyn said an individual rundown on the vintage stuff would be appreciated

Voila :-)

5513s from 1979 and metres first from 1967

16800 - originally purchased on 24 March 1984 from Joyeria Riviera in Puerto Rico. This one has seen some action over the years...

Another 16800, this one from 1983, albeit this one has led a more sheltered life

1675 from 1970

16750 from 1980 and entirely untouched

1016 from 1974 (this one circumnavigated the globe with me)

Straight hand 1655 from 1972

Master
    Thanks
    The cases and dials on these are excellent.

Funnily enough, I get as much enjoyment from wearing that as I do from any of the others. It's a perfect little everyday watch that oozes charm.
    Too true I never regret the watches I buy only the ones I’ve sold

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a bit of a change round,latest lineup.

With two new Seikos, my watch box is now full again.

Master
    Strange but I get a big kick out of the 83 CWC naval diver, quartz. Fitted with a good nato it just gets on with the job and it’s a watch I will never sell. Always enjoy wearing it, in tough conditions. It was a rather ‘casual’ buy,little did I know……

Master
    Blog Entries

16800 - originally purchased on 24 March 1984 from Joyeria Riviera in Puerto Rico. This one has seen some action over the years...

Another 16800, this one from 1983, albeit this one has led a more sheltered life

1675 from 1970

What a fantastic vintage collection. I would be hard pushed to choose a favourite!

Master
    Stunning collection thanks for sharing, enjoyed reading that!

1675 from 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Apologies, I have no group shots . . . . . .

Absolutely gorgeous collection

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Oft, no chaff there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Apologies, I have no group shots . . . . . .
    What’s your opinion on the dornbluth given the other ‘similar’ watches of a higher price point?

I’m falling in love with them and they seem to be of great value and still under the radar. The only problem is that you now have to wait a year almost for it to be manufactured!

1675 from 1970

Great to see this John... that 16750 is unreal

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    What’s your opinion on the dornbluth given the other ‘similar’ watches of a higher price point?

I’m falling in love with them and they seem to be of great value and still under the radar. The only problem is that you now have to wait a year almost for it to be manufactured!
    I love the "Dornie" -- partly because of its inherent properties (elegant, extremely legible, rugged, well built), and partly because of what it represents: serious handcraft on a very small scale, and delicious rarity (the company makes only about 200 pieces each year).
    As an aside, I have met, and had a long chat with, Dirk Dornblüth -- and found him a very charming and high-integrity gentleman.

You mention "similar" watches (presumably in my collection). Perhaps you mean the GO Senator and the MG Benu? The answer is that, if I were forced to sell a watch or two, the GO would leave before the Dornblüth -- even though the movement in the latter is not fully in-house (my normal preference). The MG is not a fair comparison on any level.

I was lucky enough to pick up my Dornblüth used on this forum three years ago, but I think it has seen its last of "Sales Corner".

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    The only problem is that you now have to wait a year almost for it to be manufactured!
    This seems a bizarre argument when people are willing to wait over a year for a mass-produced Rolex.

Compare and contrast to waiting a year for a bespoke piece, made from scratch by a respected independent, to your specifications, without having to mortgage the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    This seems a bizarre argument when people are willing to wait over a year for a mass-produced Rolex.

Compare and contrast to waiting a year for a bespoke piece, made from scratch by a respected independent, to your specifications, without having to mortgage the house.
    Add to that a company that will update you with the progress of your watch, send photos on request. I have my second one now on order!

Master
    Striking how much weight can be placed on key phrases. Thus we have ‘bespoke’ which is signalled as special and superior (‘just for you sir’) while ‘mass produced’ items seem to be regarded as less desirable.
    But an industrially-made Rolex is an example of true excellence, and it’s doubtful that ‘bespoke’ is genuinely superior.
    All in the words. A ‘mass produced’ Ferrari would do the job adequately. And you could specify those lovely yellow badges on the flanks…..who knows, they might be hand-drawn. Imagine!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Add to that a company that will update you with the progress of your watch, send photos on request. I have my second one now on order!
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

I agree it sounds bizarre. However with a Rolex (or any other piece in demand) you can usually find a dealer who has the model you like and to be able to try it on. If you don’t like it you move on (or at least I do). I haven’t put down my name for a Rolex just for the sake of it because I know I can flip it for a profit if don’t like it.

With a Dornbluth it’s slightly harder, the what if dilemma to wait for a year and then the off chance that you won’t like the piece. Although this forum is a great place to at least be able to read first hand experiences from other members.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But an industrially-made Rolex is an example of true excellence, and it’s doubtful that ‘bespoke’ is genuinely superior.
    It's the old MX5 versus Morgan argument. It is rather doubtful that the MX5 is "inferior" -- just a rather different experience.
    Each to his own.

Striking how much weight can be placed on key phrases. Thus we have ‘bespoke’ which is signalled as special and superior (‘just for you sir’) while ‘mass produced’ items seem to be regarded as less desirable.
    All in the words. A ‘mass produced’ Ferrari would do the job adequately. And you could specify those lovely yellow badges on the flanks…..who knows, they might be hand-drawn. Imagine!
    Yeah... all other things being largely equal, a bespoke piece is more special than a mass-produced item. Tell me that's wrong.

Dornbluth are very much “bespoke”. I can contact them when I wish, have a watch built to my specifications, see how it’s built, have an engraving should I wish. Very much “Just for me sir”. A mass produced watch simply cannot compare to this and is considerably more desirable.

As for Rolex being an example of “True excellence”. Nice try but as a Rolex and Dornbluth owner your comment just makes me smile.

Master
    This was the state of my collection 1 week ago…

This is it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

This is it today.
    Some things in life are just more important; I wish you well my friend.

I do hope the garage doesn’t go the same way though.

]

This is it today.
    It's amazing how a lifetime of collecting can become so insignificant overnight.

Wishing you all the best Enoch.

You are a wise man. Well done!

How did you decide which to keep?

All the best with your health situation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    How did you decide which to keep?

All the best with your health situation.
    It was the last one I bought, and I hadn’t really worn it. I’ve always liked the simplicity of the sub, and if the worst does happen, it’ll be easy for my wife to move on..👍🤞

Master
    Enoch, I think you may have set a new TZ record…….impressive by any standard.

Master
    And a great last piece too. All the best to you sir.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

IMG_3879.JPG still space for a few more.

It was the last one I bought, and I hadn’t really worn it. I’ve always liked the simplicity of the sub, and if the worst does happen, it’ll be easy for my wife to move on..爛
    A truly lovely piece the new 41 'ND' ... All the best and Kindest Regards..

Craftsman
    Been quite a few changes since I posted a SOTC. A couple of recent purchases including an IWC hand wound moon phase. Still too many divers though... I'm currently eyeing introducing the current blue 300m seamaster, a Mark II speedmaster and potentially an 1815 Lange.

Master
    I thought I would post some of the watches that I have to play with currently so not quite a STOC.

Excuse the poor photo I may spend the time and get the full frame out; but it will never be amazing photos like others.

Craftsman

Stunning collection fella. You even have a '74 1016. My birth year dream Explorer!