closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Heating - Hive vs Nest vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Yep some people do. If it takes two hours to heat up house sounds like your rads are too small, you’re leaking far too much heat.

You obviously can live with i wouldn’t, hence you’re not the target audience for these devices.

The “ 1 or 2 hour in the morning and 1 or 2 in the evening “ users are not the target audience. Some poeple prefer a constant temp than letting the house go very cold then waiting for it to heat up.

A device can help trim the temp from getting so cold that it needs 2 hours to then warm up in your case . Eg it may be more efficient to let your house drop a few degrees over night so it only needs a small boost in the morning rather than two hours at full pelt to heat up .
    Its quite a large house, it is well insulated,the best compromise is background heating when its really cold and we are there, boosted by aircon in the rooms we mainly use.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Its quite a large house, it is well insulated,the best compromise is background heating when its really cold and we are there, boosted by aircon in the rooms we mainly use.
    A multizone smart solution would probably be a really good fit for you. Large house not all rooms being used - pretty much where they excel over a standard theromstat and programmer.

If you ever do get one look beyond the single Zone smart thermostat - if you have a a pretty static routine and programme it well you won't use it much. But a mutlizone like Honeywell , Tado would really come into play heating the main rooms you use , when you need them etc.

I don't know if this has been mentioned explicitly but Hive has an enormous flaw.

It will not turn the heating off when you leave the house, thereby acting as a true smart thermostat.

Sure you can turn on/off a load of pointless trinkets using an iPad but it doesn't do the most crucial thing required to be a smart thermostat.

This feature has been requested on their support forum for years now and they have no intention of introducing it - simply because it will reduce their revenue if we become efficient.

This should tell you all you need to know about Hive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned explicitly but Hive has an enormous flaw.

It will not turn the heating off when you leave the house, thereby acting as a true smart thermostat.

Sure you can turn on/off a load of pointless trinkets using an iPad but it doesn't do the most crucial thing required to be a smart thermostat.

This feature has been requested on their support forum for years now and they have no intention of introducing it - simply because it will reduce their revenue if we become efficient.

This should tell you all you need to know about Hive.
    Nest may or may not do this, mine does it when I feels like it. If it completely stopped working I'd get the Tado next time.

I'm also a happy Nest user for 3ish years now, including cameras and smoke/CO alarms. Obviously works well with google home.

Quote Originally Posted by raringtogo View Post
    I did try for smart rad valves for individual control but Nest dont do them whereas Hive do ALL of the above.
    Energenie is compatible with nest, although you'll still need to adjust them individually on their own app: https://workswith.nest.com/uk/compan...enie/energenie

We hae 2 zones of E/UF heating which I'm waiting for a solution for too...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Interesting contribution - you're probably best placed to answer then...!

Are there any significant differences between Hive and Nest? Or as an existing Hive customer would I be better of staying with them, in a new property?

Secondly, how would you rank Honeywell vs Hive? Kit seems far more expensive, and other than zoned heating, are there any other benefits?
    Nest has the self learning function, but, I am little sceptical about how it measures presence in a good way and you hear feedback on how it can regularly get things wrong! But, it has many happy users…. If you’re into writing your own IFTT recipes, you’d be best having something based on electricity usage to self learn (more accurate)

I lived with basic functionality of remote heating controls (precursor to Hive), which worked well, but, wasn’t smart (more remote control throug an App)…. Location detection feature is presumably some kind of geofence which you can also get in the Honeywell T6 thermostat (which I have)…. Geofence is ok as long as you can overlay it with the standard programme (not either or) and then it really does become smart!

The daddy of all of them is the evohome…. Gets great reviews and manages the home well, so, your not heating spare rooms etc. And can manage comfort levels to individual preferences…. I haven’t bothered to upgrade though as I can no longer get it for free as I don’t work in that part of the business any longer as they are being spun off from Honeywell next month!

My favourite smart item is my smart SkyBell doorbell…. That really is smart and extremely useful!

Really not a fan of the geofencing features that many products show off. I don't want to share my whereabouts with them! (or keep GPS on all the top on my phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Nest has the self learning function, but, I am little sceptical about how it measures presence in a good way and you hear feedback on how it can regularly get things wrong! But, it has many happy users…. If you’re into writing your own IFTT recipes, you’d be best having something based on electricity usage to self learn (more accurate)

I lived with basic functionality of remote heating controls (precursor to Hive), which worked well, but, wasn’t smart (more remote control throug an App)…. Location detection feature is presumably some kind of geofence which you can also get in the Honeywell T6 thermostat (which I have)…. Geofence is ok as long as you can overlay it with the standard programme (not either or) and then it really does become smart!

The daddy of all of them is the evohome…. Gets great reviews and manages the home well, so, your not heating spare rooms etc. And can manage comfort levels to individual preferences…. I haven’t bothered to upgrade though as I can no longer get it for free as I don’t work in that part of the business any longer as they are being spun off from Honeywell next month!

My favourite smart item is my smart SkyBell doorbell…. That really is smart and extremely useful!
    Thanks again. Really helpful info.

Perception was that Nest was top dog but this thread, along with reading online, shows a little different.

Will definitely look into Tado, but EvoHome (despite the cost) I think is the in the lead at the moment. Just hope that whomever Honeywell is selling to doesn't kill the product and continues to support and evolve it....
    Last edited by cman; 22nd October 2018 at 11:55.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Really not a fan of the geofencing features that many products show off. I don't want to share my whereabouts with them! (or keep GPS on all the top on my phone)

Thanks again. Really helpful info.

Perception was that Nest was top dog but this thread, along with reading online, shows a little different.

Will definitely look into Tado, but EvoHome (despite the cost) I think is the in the lead at the moment. Just hope that whomever Honeywell is selling to doesn't kill the product and continues to support and evolve it....
    Yep…. Geofence isn’t for everyone for obvious reasons…!

Maybe look into finding other ways of self learning for presence…. Or, I’d you’re like 95% of the rest of the world, your presence (or lack of it!) is fairly consistent and you can organise your own schedule with the option to override when you wish to…. Any WiFi thermostat will do that!

Evohome will be fine in Resideo (great name!!!) I’m sure…! It’s a good product that they’ll only look to develop…

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Yep…. Geofence isn’t for everyone for obvious reasons…!

Maybe look into finding other ways of self learning for presence…. Or, I’d you’re like 95% of the rest of the world, your presence (or lack of it!) is fairly consistent and you can organise your own schedule with the option to override when you wish to…. Any WiFi thermostat will do that!

Evohome will be fine in Resideo (great name!!!) I’m sure…! It’s a good product that they’ll only look to develop…

Ben

Decided to resurrect this thread as today I installed a Tado Smart Thermostat and Extension Kit. The radiators in the most commonly used rooms were all fitted with Tado TRVs about a year ago and I've been hugely impressed with them.

I have an oil fired boiler heating a large converted barn and there was no remote thermostat around the house controlling it. I decided it was time to have full control of the heating and hot water from my iPhone. For anyone considering this, do not be in anyway apprehensive about the installation of the Extension Kit that is wired to the main wiring block of your boiler (installation of the Smart Thermostat is childsplay). Tado takes you through a system identification process before installation and then send via e-mail a bespoke set of instructions with diagrams; these instructions were excellent and very comprehensive. From start to finish it took less than an hour.
    Last edited by Skier; 2nd November 2019 at 17:59.

Craftsman
    I work for BG, fit Hive... what do i have in my house... TADO..
    Completely superior and you can use thermal compensation with your Worcester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We must have had tado coming up almost 3 years now and still very pleased with it, TRV AA batteries last probably just over a year and it gives you plenty of warning they’re running low, geofencing enabled on our phones and i admit to being sceptical about that feature at first but it’s so nice walking into a warm house on those days I get home earlier than usual and the timer wouldn’t have come on yet on our old system. The fact that aside from the changing of batteries it just does its thing in the background no tinkering etc needed after we’d found our ideal temps and usages of rooms it’s hardly ever touched now

Craftsman
    Honeywell evohome. Ability to create single zones within the home

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I'm the same. I have TRV's on nearly all my radiators and a remote thermostat. The rads are set to the desired temp as is the thermostat. I don't get / understand what hive / nest bring to the party.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    As far as I can see they just bring more things to go wrong. We have TRV's on all rads and a remote thermostat. Timer controlled heating with the usual manual bump if you need it. Off in the night, on when we want it. Can't honestly see what we're missing out on.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Honeywell evo - also supports open therm tech

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    As far as I can see they just bring more things to go wrong. We have TRV's on all rads and a remote thermostat. Timer controlled heating with the usual manual bump if you need it. Off in the night, on when we want it. Can't honestly see what we're missing out on.
    So let me give you some of the reasons I went for the Tado system. The Tado Smart Thermostat is, effectively, the brains of the system.

- I didn't have a remote thermostat with my exisiting system so the only fine control originally was via manual TRVs. I changed these for Tado TRVs in the most commonly used ground floor rooms in the house - a huge improvement. I'll be adding more shortly, probably on every radiator in the house.
    - The addition of a remote thermostat gives better overall control and the Tado Smart Thermostat (as is the case with others I'm sure) allows control from anywhere
    - For those who don't always work 9 to 5 the ability to have the geofence capability automatically turn on the heating and hot water before you get home is a huge convenience.
    - When away from home in the Winter months (work trip/holiday etc.) then you can switch the system to 'Frost Control' which is far more efficient than leaving the heating system on low.

In my opinion the Government would have been far better off promoting these systems rather than the completely useless Smart Meters .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    So let me give you some of the reasons I went for the Tado system. The Tado Smart Thermostat is, effectively, the brains of the system.

- I didn't have a remote thermostat with my exisiting system so the only fine control originally was via manual TRVs. I changed these for Tado TRVs in the most commonly used ground floor rooms in the house - a huge improvement. I'll be adding more shortly, probably on every radiator in the house.
    - The addition of a remote thermostat gives better overall control and the Tado Smart Thermostat (as is the case with others I'm sure) allows control from anywhere
    - For those who don't always work 9 to 5 the ability to have the geofence capability automatically turn on the heating and hot water before you get home is a huge convenience.
    - When away from home in the Winter months (work trip/holiday etc.) then you can switch the system to 'Frost Control' which is far more efficient than leaving the heating system on low.

In my opinion the Government would have been far better off promoting these systems rather than the completely useless Smart Meters .
    Sounds great if you need those attributes. We don’t at the moment, so simple is good enough!

Master
    I think it depends on loads of factors in your household, for us we’re never home at the same times each day or night and frequently away, large house with some rooms not used often. We also have a wood burner which when lit and doors left ajar everywhere slowly heats up the whole house bar one bedroom. We needed more than just a time clock because of our schedule I’d be altering it every week I also hated the normal Trvs in our bedroom where I could never find the right balance. Tado has essentially created zoned heating in our house with each room having independent temperature. On the flip side my mum has a normal schedule so a time clock is all she needs most of the time, I fitted a hive for her more so that on cold winter days she can turn the heating on from her phone before she gets home rather than sitting with her coat on waiting for the house to warm and put it into frost mode when on holidays etc. Horses for courses for our house tado is perfect and replaced hive which is consequently perfect for my mums house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I think it depends on loads of factors in your household, for us we’re never home at the same times each day or night and frequently away, large house with some rooms not used often. We also have a wood burner which when lit and doors left ajar everywhere slowly heats up the whole house bar one bedroom. We needed more than just a time clock because of our schedule I’d be altering it every week I also hated the normal Trvs in our bedroom where I could never find the right balance. Tado has essentially created zoned heating in our house with each room having independent temperature. On the flip side my mum has a normal schedule so a time clock is all she needs most of the time, I fitted a hive for her more so that on cold winter days she can turn the heating on from her phone before she gets home rather than sitting with her coat on waiting for the house to warm and put it into frost mode when on holidays etc. Horses for courses for our house tado is perfect and replaced hive which is consequently perfect for my mums house.
    Like you say, if it is good for your lifestyle then it’s worth it.
    We also have a wood burner, it’s mainly for the spaniels benefit I think! (Or he thinks!)

Master
    Like you say, if it is good for your lifestyle then it’s worth it.
    We also have a wood burner, it’s mainly for the spaniels benefit I think! (Or he thinks!)
    Yep our boxer is the same lol luckily we have a fire guard because of the children or I fear he’d be sat on top of the fire. It’s lit today and there’s no nicer feeling than coming back from the dog walk sitting down in front of the fire with a freshly brewed coffee. As I type this he has just turned over to toast the other side lol

Master

I’m sure you’re already aware but just in case, do you have a number of rads in the same room as your master thermostat without tvr's on them?

You should have a heating loop in that area that is always open so that if tvr’s, thermostats or the boiler fail is such a way that the boiler is running the heating there is a rad or two to dissipate the heat and prevent more significant boiler issues. It acts a a failsafe.

Master
    Yesterday evening my Nest is showing 20 degrees outside and I'm wearing shorts in the house, why does my heating come on?! The only thing my Nest is good for is being able to control it from my phone, does anyone else have these issues?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’m sure you’re already aware but just in case, do you have a number of rads in the same room as your master thermostat without tvr's on them?

You should have a heating loop in that area that is always open so that if tvr’s, thermostats or the boiler fail is such a way that the boiler is running the heating there is a rad or two to dissipate the heat and prevent more significant boiler issues. It acts a a failsafe.
    Ah, always wondered why my CH system was fitted with one free running rad (in the bathroom) - guy just said system runs better that way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Yesterday evening my Nest is showing 20 degrees outside and I'm wearing shorts in the house, why does my heating come on?! The only thing my Nest is good for is being able to control it from my phone, does anyone else have these issues?
    Yes, came here to write similar. I’ve moved it from the lounge to my south facing office & see if that helps improve it be the north facing cool lounge. Doing my head it.

I’d love it to learn that when the wife’s phone is not at home never heat as hot as she likes it. Problem is she has trained it to want to be 21C over winter, and it needs to learn its spring now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Slight side-track, but any new simple systems out there worth looking at?

For a variety of reasons I virtually ONLY need something that allows me to control heat remotely, so basically when on holiday for prolonged periods.

I wouldn't be using geofencing or daily schedules ordinarily and the problem with most systems I've seen is you have to toggle through a LOAD of menus just to switch it on and off for daily use, they are designed to set and leave. For most of the time my old school Honeywell programmer is fine, slide on in the morning, turn the temperature up or down as needed and switch off at night, simples. I can change my daily routine whenever I want without the system trying to second guess what my plans are, the only problem is trying to guess what settings to leave when I go away for a period and being locked into them.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post

For a variety of reasons I virtually ONLY need something that allows me to control heat remotely, so basically when on holiday for prolonged periods.

I wouldn't be using geofencing or daily schedules ordinarily and the problem with most systems I've seen is you have to toggle through a LOAD of menus just to switch it on and off for daily use, they are designed to set and leave. For most of the time my old school Honeywell programmer is fine, slide on in the morning, turn the temperature up or down as needed and switch off at night, simples. I can change my daily routine whenever I want without the system trying to second guess what my plans are, the only problem is trying to guess what settings to leave when I go away for a period and being locked into them.
    Tado seems to me to be a relatively cheap and flexible way of doing this - you could set a single empty program then turn on using boosts (which can be set for any length of time), or leave it in 'Away' mode with frost protection mode enabled.

We are essentially using tado as an 'only-slightly-intelligent' system, with the ease of adjusting programs or turning it on and off via our phones being the main function we wanted to have.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post

I have installed Tado at my Dads house, simple to set up and control can control individual radiators if required by adding smart rad valves but I just use a central thermostat

https://www.tado.com/gb-en/tado-products-overview

Master
    Thanks both, useful feedback

Another vote for Tado. I can go weeks if not months without touching it, aside from curiosity making me want to check historic reports and see how warm a room was / is.

If I want a boost, I can do it via the App quickly (it's a slider in the room section, so very quick), or via the room thermostat (wall mounted or radiator). In that regard it's not different to non-smart thermostats - push a button, then use the up and down arrows to control the temperature. Or, twist the radiator TRV.

I have setup different schedules for different rooms and days, e.g. lower overnight than during the day, and different at the weekends for rooms I use differently such as the home office. You don't have to though, and to be honest when you start getting granular you really need Tado radiator TRV's in each room. The simple option is just leave it all as one system and control it centrally, just like a non-smart thermostat.

99% of the time Tado just works it out. I've not had the problems mentioned above from Nest users; Tado has recognised it's warmer and doesn't need to heat the room as much, as strongly, and for as long as normal. So, simply, it doesn't.

Recently bought Tado, but not fully installed it yet. Got the stat and bridge going, but hit a problem with the online instructions for the extension kit. Now sorted after a few emails, but been too busy to sort it with the wife being poorly.

I also have 2 radiator stats to install, plan is to put them on the downstairs rads and leave the wall stat controlling upstairs, main reason is i've heard they are far too noisy for bedrooms. How noisy do you find them in bedrooms? Noticed they're cheap on amazon at the moment, so could pick up 2 or 3 more, be nice to not heat the bedrooms in the day

Cheers

My Tado controlled heating is set to come on at 17:00 but as today was so warm it has only just kicked in at 19:20 - no overheating.

I have Tado TRVs on all radiators except the bedrooms as, for me, they're too noisy. I live in the countryside where the loudest noise is the dawn chorus so I've grown sensitive to night time noise over the years.

Master
    Full tado system here for a few years now and as someone else stated I only ever look at it out of interest it just does it’s thing in the background, as for noise of the TRVs in the bedroom they don’t bother me waking me up but they do make a noise if you’re a really light sleeper I can see why it would be an issue.
    We have the bedroom set quite cool anyway so it’s very rare they kick in during the night geofencing etc does the job when we’re on holiday or away for any period really going into frost protection mode, it’s very rare we make any alterations after the few months of finding a happy medium in all the rooms. My only wish now would be a wireless tank thermostat for the hot water as sunny days like the last couple we don’t need the boiler on at all due to solar panels

I have nest. It’s great to control when I’m out. Only issue is the learning function. It reminds me of living with my dad and keeps turning the heating down until I get to the point of checking what temp is and turning it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Recently bought Tado, but not fully installed it yet. Got the stat and bridge going, but hit a problem with the online instructions for the extension kit. Now sorted after a few emails, but been too busy to sort it with the wife being poorly.

I also have 2 radiator stats to install, plan is to put them on the downstairs rads and leave the wall stat controlling upstairs, main reason is i've heard they are far too noisy for bedrooms. How noisy do you find them in bedrooms? Noticed they're cheap on amazon at the moment, so could pick up 2 or 3 more, be nice to not heat the bedrooms in the day

Cheers
    Like some other people have said here, I have Tado TRV’s in bedrooms and they don’t bother me, but I can absolutely understand why they would be too noisy for some people. I’m quite good at ignoring known normal noises while asleep, but the noise they make may bother others.

If you have traditional TRV’s installed already it’s trivial to set the Tado’s up and then move them later, so maybe try one in a bedroom first before moving it downstairs later?

Master
    Blog Entries
    A decent thermostat that has weather compensation and can modualte the boiler output is what you want. Ideally you need an OpenTherm boiler to get the best savings

Back to OP's original question - for anyone who's tried both Nest and Hive, which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Back to OP's original question - for anyone who's tried both Nest and Hive, which do you prefer?
    Ah, but that wasn't the OP's original question. The was a 'vs ?' in the title and a 'such as' in the body.

Ah, but that wasn't the OP's original question. The was a 'vs ?' in the title and a 'such as' in the body.
    Ok that as well, not just "Tado is great" etc.

There's also a "vs" in the title.

Master
    Moved house and went from Nest to Hive and there isn’t much in them but I prefer Hive as it is easier to adjust and now have a couple of bulbs also connected through it.

Master
    Just a FYI but some tado features now require a subscription service, though I suspect it might not be a issue for some

https://www.homekitauthority.com/tad...ion-explained/

OP here . Our house move went ahead weeks after the thread was started in Oct 2018.

For what it's worth, we stuck with Hive, and changed from v1 to v2 (Active Heating 1 to Active Heating 2) and have been very happy with it for the past 2.5 years.

Still hear good things about Nest and Tado. I remember being tempted by Honeywell EvoHome too, if you're shopping around.

Master
    Ok that as well, not just "Tado is great" etc.

There's also a "vs" in the title.
    We went from hive to tado does that count lol

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    We went from hive to tado does that count lol
    Very useful, thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    for the tado users, was it easy to install? it will be replacing a dreyfus wireless system.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    for the tado users, was it easy to install? it will be replacing a dreyfus wireless system.
    Yes mate it was a doddle ( I am an electrician by trade though) it should be a pretty much straight swap controller wise and the TRVs are just unscrew old ones, screw on new ones and pair to the system from memory with 10 Trv radiators it took me about an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It's extremely easy to install............provided the instructions received from Tado, for your system, are correct. Mine weren't and after a couple of weeks of emails back and forth I spent a day researching heating/hot water systems and my boiler and controller manuals. I then wired the system as I believed it should be and all his worked perfectly ever since.

A really useful site for me was THIS.

Craftsman
    Does anyone have Tado working with underfloor heating ?

Most of my rooms have radiators which I could deploy tado trv.

The room with underfloor heating has its own thermostats which I assume is connected to some separate pipe work with valves.

How would tado measure and control that room ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post

The room with underfloor heating has its own thermostats which I assume is connected to some separate pipe work with valves.

It seems like there are various ways to do that, e.g. being adding a second tado thermostat to replace the existing UFH one?

https://support.tado.com/en/articles...eating-systems

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post

We’ve put the main tado stat in the room with the underfloor heating which has worked well for us basically that replaced the stat in that room that used to control it all other rooms are normal rads on TRVs

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, next purchase I think. My previous gaff has a nest and I can’t go back to a standard system now.