closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 84 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Well completely changed my mind and decided to upgrade. Ordered a Haibike allmtn ebike yesterday and get it next week. Can't link a pic for some reason

Really looking forward to it.
    Last edited by senwar; 19th March 2016 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Snap!
    Its good to see these Dolans. Bought my wife a Dolan for Christmas as she's doing a couple of triathlons this year. Here's hers this morning after she went out for a pedal.

Just a couple of quick pics of my new ride. Picked it up yesterday and now I'm away for a week so I've had all of 30 mins on the turbo trainer to see what it's like.

Parlee ESX with SRAM eTap, Zipp 303, Rotor chainset, p2m and some rather blingy ee brakes. A fraction under 7kg which isn't too bad for an aero bike with a powermeter.

Wow. Love Parlee, and that is a good looking bike. Very clean indeed with etap. Would love to hear your thoughts in it.

Personally, I would have swapped all the Zipp stuff for Enve but that's an individual thing.

Picked this up on Thursday. I got an ebikes earlier in the year and decided I wanted a full suspension bike so decided to upgrade. A fantastic bike to ride really enjoyed being out on it early morning yesterday. I can see me going a lot further and doing some distance and trails this year.

Craftsman
    Just a couple of quick pics of my new ride. Picked it up yesterday and now I'm away for a week so I've had all of 30 mins on the turbo trainer to see what it's like.

Parlee ESX with SRAM eTap, Zipp 303, Rotor chainset, p2m and some rather blingy ee brakes. A fraction under 7kg which isn't too bad for an aero bike with a powermeter.

Is this an off the shelf or custom frame? Look as absolutely stunning, congratulations! Looking forward to reading your views on the frame and kit after a few rides.

Blog Entries
    That Parlee looks incredible!

Anyhow here is the first part of my new Enduro build..
    The frame and the rest of the parts should turn up next week fingers crossed.

Master
    Some phenomenal bikes in this thread, and I'm slightly hesitant to post a pic of my modest Boardman Road Sport. But I've treated her to some new Fulcrum Quattros, so here she is:

The handlebars need a clean, I know. I think black tape might be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Some phenomenal bikes in this thread, and I'm slightly hesitant to post a pic of my modest Boardman Road Sport. But I've treated her to some new Fulcrum Quattros, so here she is:

The handlebars need a clean, I know. I think black tape might be the answer.
    Just remember, it 98% engine, 2% bike

Master
    Finally got the chance to put the new Stumpjumper through its paces in the Sierra Nevada last week. Very impressed with the bike and rode some amazing trails.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Just remember, it 98% engine, 2% bike
    That gives me an idea for a TV show. Amateur cyclists would take part in a road race against a guest professional each week - Chris Froome or Bradley Wiggins, say. The amateurs are provided with a state-of-the-art road bike, and the pros have to ride a Raleigh Chopper. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That gives me an idea for a TV show. Amateur cyclists would take part in a road race against a guest professional each week - Chris Froome or Bradley Wiggins, say. The amateurs are provided with a state-of-the-art road bike, and the pros have to ride a Raleigh Chopper. What do you think?

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by simonoakey View Post
    Is this an off the shelf or custom frame? Look as absolutely stunning, congratulations! Looking forward to reading your views on the frame and kit after a few rides.

It's a standard frame - they don't do anything but the Z0 (and maybe the Z3) as custom orders any more. The build is completely custom though - mostly bits I pulled across from the bike it's replacing plus the Zipp bars and stem and ee brakes and eTap groupset.

I probably would have gone Enve but I already had the wheels so wanted to match them. Debating whether to sell the 303s and get 404 NSWs with black decals to finish the look... although I've definitely spent too much this month!

Blog Entries
    So two more parts have arrived, the rest should be here shortly, excited about getting it all built.

Grand Master

Very very nice frame
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    So two more parts have arrived, the rest should be here shortly, excited about getting it all built.

Yeti lovliness, interested in reading the spec you have planned.
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 31st March 2016 at 07:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Yeti lovliness, interested in reading the spec you have planned.
    Yeti SB6C - Large
    2016 Fox 36
    Chris King headset - purple
    Easton Havoc 35mm stem
    Easton Havoc 35mm carbon bars
    Raceface six c cranks
    Raceface Bottom bracket
    Xtr mech/shifter/cassette/chain
    XTR trail brakes with icetech rotors
    Enve M70 wheel set
    DMR Vault pedals
    Reverb stealth seatpost
    Charge Ti Spoon saddle
    ODI SDG grips

Custom stickers for forks/shock/cranks/hubs/rims

Journeyman
    Great thread and some of the pics and views look to die for

Yeti SB6C - Large
    2016 Fox 36
    Chris King headset - purple
    Easton Havoc 35mm stem
    Easton Havoc 35mm carbon bars
    Raceface six c cranks
    Raceface Bottom bracket
    Xtr mech/shifter/cassette/chain
    XTR trail brakes with icetech rotors
    Enve M70 wheel set
    DMR Vault pedals
    Reverb stealth seatpost
    Charge Ti Spoon saddle
    ODI SDG grips

Custom stickers for forks/shock/cranks/hubs/rims
    Awesome budget busting spec, kind of feels like it needs its own build thread 👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Awesome budget busting spec, kind of feels like it needs its own build thread 
    Currently in the US with work and have a very good contact out here
    I could do a build thread if there was any interest.

Master
    This could be a gamechanger;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s

Journeyman
    . New arrival - Mango Point 'R'

Had to look that Mango up. Looks like a pretty decent spec for the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
    My custom Orange 224, the old girl is getting on a bit these days but I wouldn't chop her in for anything else as I just feel so comfortable on her. Plus I'm not racing every weekend anymore these days so she is good enough for what I do.

She is a 2007 model Orange 224 with fox 40 forks, fox DHX 5.0 shock with Ti spring. I'm running SRAM X0 rear mech and shifter with a close ratio 11-24 rear sprocket and a 36 tooth chain ring up front. I have Hope Moto brakes with ventilated disc brakes for riding in the alps and solid disc's for over here as they don't need to shift the heat so much.
    Hope head set, hope ceramic bottom bracket and hope hubs. I run a couple of sets of wheels, hope hubs mounted in halo combat rims as they are wide, strong and a little heavier than normal as they give good stability on big jumps and they shake off some real punishment on big gravity runs. I also run a set of hope hubs on Mavic ... (Can't remember which rims are on there.. Possible 217?) but they are lighter and faster for more pedaly courses. Race face bars, stem and cranks with a MRP chain derive to keep the chain on.

Here is a picture of a mate and I out in Morzine France, riding the other year.

And a little blast down the duel course at chicksands

I have a little Cona Cowan jump/4x bike and a Orange 5 for everything else. (No pictures at the moment sorry)

There is nothing better than going out with your mates for a blast on the bikes.......

Happy riding people :D
    Nice pic there, I would love to have a go at that. Have to put it on the bucket list lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Wow. Love Parlee, and that is a good looking bike. Very clean indeed with etap. Would love to hear your thoughts in it.

Personally, I would have swapped all the Zipp stuff for Enve but that's an individual thing.
    ENVE and disc brakes for me but that's an individual thing.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Had to look that Mango up. Looks like a pretty decent spec for the money!
    They seem to fly under the radar, I put 20 miles on it Friday afternoon and was very impressed. As you say, pretty decent spec for the cash. They had a sale recently so this was actually cheaper than the current listed price, plus I specced it with the upgraded wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    This could be a gamechanger;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s

That's awesome... love it.

^^^ I'd have preferred it if t was launched on a different day.

I think the last time I rode a bike was about 30 years ago.So situations change and I bought this yesterday,

Second hand and had to buy the guards and lights but for £170 was not a bad deal.

My latest build a Colagno Extreme Power frame & forks with Campag Record groups and Campag bullet wheels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    My latest build a Colagno Extreme Power frame & forks with Campag Record groups and Campag bullet wheels.

Now that looks class, just in time for the sun. Have a great summer riding it.

Apprentice
    Currently in the US with work and have a very good contact out here
    I could do a build thread if there was any interest.
    Yes please, should be lovely build and interested to see custom stickers.

I bought this frame several years ago from Ebay for a tenner with a view to doing it up for SWMBO. It's by a small Wolverhampton maker of classic steel lightweights called PT Stallard.
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/stallard.html

Not a lot has happened in the intervening period however last autumn we reached the conclusion that her existing bike wasn't going to last much longer and paying to have it over-hauled wouldn't bring much of a return. The work has been done by a local bike shop in Berlin (apart from the frame stove enamelling which was sent away to Mercian Cycles in Derby) and it's been quite a learning process. It was finished last month.

I'm relieved to say that my wife is very happy with it; I had a couple of reservations that the sportier geometry wouldn't be for her but she has really taken to it. The only bit of the project she didn't go for is the Nitto moustache handlebars I bought - back to the drawing board with those.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 27th February 2018 at 16:53.

That looks superb, a proper bicycle!
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    That looks superb, a proper bicycle!
    +1,

On a separate note and given the comment about the 2% bike thing, do lighter bikes really make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    +1,

On a separate note and given the comment about the 2% bike thing, do lighter bikes really make a difference?
    Up a fairly steep hill then maybe a little but it's mostly in the head and even then, the bigger wins are to be gained from training the engine rather than losing a few hundred grams off the bike.

Doesn't stop us trying to get beneath that magical UCI limit though!

Journeyman
    Just a quick heads up, I got my hands on one of the Aldi cycle work stands today. Looks to be a bargain at £25, very sturdy. Would recommend taking a look if anyone does work on their own bike. I've seen similar stands retail for over £100.

Master
    Thought I'd share now I'm riding again (long story). This is my 'nice' bike which is pretty much a full Italian build:

Deda Nerissimo frameset. This won Cycling Plus bike of the year a couple of years back so I had to give it a go.
    Campag 11sp Chorus groupset
    Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels with decals removed to make them look mean
    Ritchey WCS stem and bars
    Deda super zero seat pillar
    Specialized Romin Expert saddle
    Weight with pedals = 7.2kg

It's bloody fast and bloody responsive and a real joy to ride on the Yorkshire hills.

In answer to the mention above about lighter bikes, there's lots of things that make a difference on hills. The 3 that I've found to be the most impactful are; losing weight, stiff frame and a good light set of climbing wheels. I had a real giggle when up Holme Moss to see the Tour go through at the amount of carbon on show, specifically the amount of chubby middle aged men that had spent thousands on their rigs and could have got better results if they'd just been disciplined enough to exercise their fat asses more. One guy was on something that must have cost in the region of £5k-£6k and could have done with losing a good 2 stone. Each to their own, as long as you're happy...

Last edited by Schofie; 5th May 2016 at 23:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I bought this frame several years ago from Ebay for a tenner with a view to doing it up for SWMBO. It's by a small Wolverhampton maker of classic steel lightweights called PT Stallard.
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/stallard.html

Not a lot has happened in the intervening period however last autumn we reached the conclusion that her existing bike wasn't going to last much longer and paying to have it over-hauled wouldn't bring much of a return. The work has been done by a local bike shop in Berlin (apart from the frame stove enamelling which was sent away to Mercian Cycles in Derby) and it's been quite a learning process. It was finished last month.

I'm relieved to say that my wife is very happy with it; I had a couple of reservations that the sportier geometry wouldn't be for her but she has really taken to it. The only bit of the project she didn't go for is the Nitto moustache handlebars I bought - back to the drawing board with those.
    Classy build, very nice job.

I'm currently deciding on whether to buy this stunning Colnago full carbon frame, it's brand new and unused so dead stock 2012 model.

I've nearly committed to the purchase but the cost of the rest of the bike to finish it is giving me palpitations!

Excuse the poor pic but its all I took on my phone.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 15th June 2016 at 09:40.

Is that a C-50? If so then don't hesitate to buy it. Not swung a leg over one myself but I know a few cycling journo's and they used to fight over them when a proper colnago came in for review. A very sorted ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Is that a C-50? If so then don't hesitate to buy it. Not swung a leg over one myself but I know a few cycling journo's and they used to fight over them when a proper colnago came in for review. A very sorted ride.
    Its an EPQ frame.

So a slightly smoother ride then. I'm sure it will be great whatever you build it with.
    And no it doesn't have to be campagnolo. I have shimano on my Pegoretti which really upsets the purists

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    So a slightly smoother ride then. I'm sure it will be great whatever you build it with.
    And no it doesn't have to be campagnolo. I have shimano on my Pegoretti which really upsets the purists
    As though Colnag/DeRosa/Pegoretti et al care what running gear the riders fit

Craftsman
    There really are some beautiful bikes on here,

For the guys with aero stuff, are you actually racing these machines, and if so, are you doing some seriously quick stuff.

Its over 15 years since i seriously tested myself against the clock, but still kinda miss it..

Craftsman
    Just thought I would post up my Specialized Enduro 29er. This bike is almost like cheating..almost.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I'm currently deciding on whether to buy this stunning Colnago full carbon frame, it's brand new and unused so dead stock 2012 model.

I've nearly committed to the purchase but the cost of the rest of the bike to finish it is giving me palpitations!
    If cost is an issue, kit it out with a Shimano 105 11speed groupset and Campag Zonda wheels. Damn the purists, I have 11speed Ultegra with Zondas on my Rose and it all rides beautifully. I'd be sure that if I rode a bike with 105 fitted I'd find very little difference. The brakes and shift quality are superb.
    F.T.F.A.

If anyone's looking for some quality road tyres, I just bought a pair of Conti GP 4000sII folders from here for £55, cheapest anywhere that I could find + free postage.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    As though Colnag/DeRosa/Pegoretti et al care what running gear the riders fit
    exactly. but plenty of “purists” bemoan the fitting of fishing reel/golf club manufactures products on Italian bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If cost is an issue, kit it out with a Shimano 105 11speed groupset and Campag Zonda wheels. Damn the purists, I have 11speed Ultegra with Zondas on my Rose and it all rides beautifully. I'd be sure that if I rode a bike with 105 fitted I'd find very little difference. The brakes and shift quality are superb.
    Thanks I'll do a bit of research into it.

I'm fancying making it look like an 80's early 90's bike but with modern frame.