closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Water Resistance and non-screw-down crowns: Question

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I just noticed this, how unnecessarily aggressive of you.
    No need for me to try again, I made my point, which I stand by.

Dave
    Screw down crowns are unnecessary for Scuba diving.

When Nuno Gomes set the world record for the deepest Scuba dive he was wearing a G Shock Frogman and not even a then current one but an older vintage model. G Shocks Frogman have pushers only, which can be used underwater and which rely on gaskets only to maintain water resistance.

Screw down crowns may prevent unwanted time changes but it is the gaskets that provide the WR. However, screw down crowns are a point of failure on a watch, push crowns are less likely to fail.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 24th July 2019 at 01:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Screw down crowns are unnecessary for Scuba diving.

When Nuno Gomes set the world record for the deepest Scuba dive he was wearing a G Shock Frogman and not even a then current one but an older vintage model. G Shocks Frogman have pushers only, which can be used underwater and which rely on gaskets only to maintain water resistance.

Screw down crowns may prevent unwanted time changes but it is the gaskets that provide the WR. However, screw down crowns are a point of failure on a watch, push crowns are less likely to fail.
    Screw-down crowns are unnecessary, but sweets makes a correct point that some designs (he notes the Rolex crown as one) engage additional seals when screwed down. Regardless, I would hope that a Rolex dive watch stem remains water resistant even if not screwed down.