closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like metal bracelets without endlinks (Dornbluth content) ?

Do you like metal bracelets without endlinks (Dornbluth content) ?

I have just bought a 99.4 and a bracelet is a must for me. Dornbluth has just released a new bracelet which looks to be of nice quality if not wholly original in style, however, there are no endlinks. Here's some pics. I am struggling to think of any watches sold on bracelets that lack endlinks to judge how it looks in use.

What do you think of metal bracelets that leave the lugs & case open like straps, yay or nay?

Metallarmband_neu_Stack-Seitenlage-offen by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Metallarmband_neu_Front by Simon Gee, on Flickr
    Last edited by mondie; 18th October 2020 at 19:45.

Journeyman
    Not a fan. It looks like someone stuck on part of a jubilee.

Nomos have a metal strap without the end links on their sport models. Don’t mind the look, but I suspect the bracelet is a bit of a hair remover.

I'm not a fan of Jubilee straps but that just doesn't suit the watch. It's like a careless afterthought.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Lovely watch.

Lovely bracelet.

However, I'm not a big fan of the gap in this case.
    I find the gap can look OK with some mesh bracelets
    E.g. Longines Legend Diver - where the gap is minimised...

...but with such a substantial bracelet it just looks wrong to me.

z

Craftsman
    I'm not a fan of that design.
    I always think that a dressier watch like that looks good with a mesh bracelet though it would have the same straight end flaw that you're not keen on.

As far watches sold on bracelet without endlinks theres the tudor heritage ranger, not sure of many others

Doesn’’’t look right to me either.
    Last edited by Marios; 18th October 2020 at 20:09.

Appreciate the opinions which are confirming mine unfortunately. I have actully bought the bracelet already and can confirm the quality is lovely and it does indeed look like it could be a hair puller. I hope to have my 99.4 this week if Parcel Farce can manage to let me know the charges and get it out of customs. The bracelet came with quite a bit of protective plastic over it which will make it difficult to dummy fit and get a good idea of how it will look, but I need to keep my options open to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Lovely watch.

Lovely bracelet.

E.g. Longines Legend Diver - where the gap is minimised...

...but with such a substantial bracelet it just looks wrong to me.

z
    Thats a good example thanks Zelig, I don't expect the bracelet will fill the gap as close to the case or as neatly as Longines have managed. I will post back once I have had a play with the watch.

Cheers all.

Craftsman
    Not a fan of that strap, did fancy trying a bracelet on mine, saw they tried a few here a while ago.

https://www.watchgecko.com/our-top-s...dress-watches/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    What do you think of metal bracelets that leave the lugs & case open like straps, yay or nay?
    Sadly they offend my OCD tendencies. I'd have really liked a Tudor Ranger but ...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    Not a fan of that strap, did fancy trying a bracelet on mine, saw they tried a few here a while ago.

https://www.watchgecko.com/our-top-s...dress-watches/
    Thanks for the link, this looks more appealing than Dornbluths offering:

That mesh strap looks dreadful on the Dornbluth, IMHO. That said, the style of watch should only be worn on a leather strap, again IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

No...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That mesh strap looks dreadful on the Dornbluth, IMHO. That said, the style of watch should only be worn on a leather strap, again IMHO.
    You are probably right that it is best on a strap but I am not a big strap fan, hence my agonising over a metal bracelet.

This looks very similar to the bracelt Dornbluth are selling, I need to compare closely but iot looks near identical. Endlinks are also available to suit.

https://www.watchgecko.com/diver-s-w...trap-for-seiko

Thanks for the link, this looks more appealing than Dornbluths offering:

I quite like the mesh on that.

I often find bracelets a bit blingy, particularly if polished. I wear nearly all my watches on leather or rubber but have always appreciated a mesh (though never used one!).

You are probably right that it is best on a strap but I am not a big strap fan, hence my agonising over a metal bracelet.

This looks very similar to the bracelt Dornbluth are selling, I need to compare closely but iot looks near identical. Endlinks are also available to suit.

Please don't put that on your Dornbluth. Quality leather with curved ends may be your salvation. I've got to the point where I'm seriously considering getting rid of most of my watches in the next year or so and taking a flight to Kalbe to pick up a Dornbluth in person.
    F.T.F.A.

On close inspection, the bracelet I bought from Dornbluth for 350 Euros is identical to that sold by watchgecko even down to the 'Geckota' engraving on the inside of the clasp. That is a pretty massive markup by anybody's measure considering their buy price is probably in the Ł40-50 range. I will be returning the bracelet and will contact watch gecko tomorrow and ask if their 42mm case- 22mm end links fit the Dornbluth case, but I suspect they don't otherwise Dornbluth would be offering them.

Thanks to johnnyhayward for psoting the link that lead to this unexpected outcome
    Last edited by mondie; 18th October 2020 at 23:08.

Please don't put that on your Dornbluth. Quality leather with curved ends may be your salvation. I've got to the point where I'm seriously considering getting rid of most of my watches in the next year or so and taking a flight to Kalbe to pick up a Dornbluth in person.
    My problem Bob is that I have no imagination so struggle to imagine what a combo may look like on my wrist. Now that I can buy the bracelet much cheaper I think I will just give it a go anyway and also buy a nice medium brown/white stitching strap, and perhaps a Navy blue strap too.

I have been drawn to Dornbluth for a few years now and after seeing the recent Watchfinder video, I decided to take the plunge now because availability is only going down and waiting lists up. I was fortunate to find a lovely near mint 99.3 and am eager to get the watch and see if it impresses as much as in pics.
    Last edited by mondie; 18th October 2020 at 22:58.

Craftsman
    Not a fan myself.

I’m so used to seeing endlinks on watches it looks like an after thought when the bracelet isn’t integrated with the case either with endlinks, or a lug design that has the strap flush with the case.
    Last edited by threescoops; 19th October 2020 at 00:27.

That bracelet looks cheap and nasty to me. The Staib looks a great match though!

Its pretty decent quality in person but whether it suits the watch is another question. Which strap is the Staib, I couldn't find anything with that name?

Its pretty decent quality in person but whether it suits the watch is another question. Which strap is the Staib, I couldn't find anything with that name?
    Ah that was me that thought it was a Staib, seems is a watchgecko cheaper copy/version in the above pics. Still a great look though, I'd go Staib if going for that look as those are superb quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    ......... I'd go Staib if going for that look as those are superb quality.
    +1 ... and would suit perfectly the quality of the watch
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

If I were fortunate enough to have a Dornbluth I’d stick to the leather strap.

My problem Bob is that I have no imagination so struggle to imagine what a combo may look like on my wrist. Now that I can buy the bracelet much cheaper I think I will just give it a go anyway and also buy a nice medium brown/white stitching strap, and perhaps a Navy blue strap too.

I have been drawn to Dornbluth for a few years now and after seeing the recent Watchfinder video, I decided to take the plunge now because availability is only going down and waiting lists up. I was fortunate to find a lovely near mint 99.3 and am eager to get the watch and see if it impresses as much as in pics.
    I bought an Archimede 5 years ago to test the water for size and style to see if I would get on with a Dornbluth. I liked it so much I still have it (such is the glacial pace of my watch decisions/buying). I switch it between light tan and dark brown leather, but I've been fancying dark blue leather for a while, a good match for the blued hands that these watches typically have.

F.T.F.A.

I have the Ming 18.01 Diver on order - a controversial-ish watch, with one 'issue' being the end links. Not fitted, which is almost sacrilege for a diver. This is because the flared lugs would make the watch head appear far too big and disproportionate. The solution Ming go for instead is elegant - curved bars, which go nicely with the case. Again not a watch for everyone, but I do like the look of this watch.

That Ming looks fantastic and I agree, the curved end pieces are an elegant solution and don't give the impression that somethings missing.

Ah that was me that thought it was a Staib, seems is a watchgecko cheaper copy/version in the above pics. Still a great look though, I'd go Staib if going for that look as those are superb quality.
    Do you have a link please as it sounds interesting?

I bought an Archimede 5 years ago to test the water for size and style to see if I would get on with a Dornbluth. I liked it so much I still have it (such is the glacial pace of my watch decisions/buying). I switch it between light tan and dark brown leather, but I've been fancying dark blue leather for a while, a good match for the blued hands that these watches typically have.

I am thinking mid-brown leather so our tastes are along similar lines. Ideally I probably would have two straps, brown with contrast stitching and black without.

When are you going to finally take the plunge

Do you have a link please as it sounds interesting?
    There are various sizes and clasp options but here is one...

https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...stainless.html

Or with adjustable clasp...

https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...-20mm-sho.html

Don't know what your lug width is there, those two I linked are both 20mm but they have other widths.

My Eterna Kontiki with after market watchGecko BOR bracelet

With original mesh bracelet.

Unfortunately the original bracelet was too big for my wrist however the BOR is not such a bad substitute imho. Even original has the gap but I think it works with both these straps, perhaps it also has something to do with case / lug design, longer lugs, larger gap.

Master
    Breitlings are a bugger for this especially the previous generation chunky designs.

I used to be a bit of a Staib/Rowa/LoneStar mesh bracelet fan. It took me several bracelets to decide that milanese mesh with tubed ends just didn't 'fill' the lugs the way I wanted. You'll always have that mm or two of pale wrist on display. The open-ended, but sportier, 'shark' or 'conic/conical' mesh looks much better IMHO.

I concur with others: the Dornblueth isn't a 'bracelet' watch.

As for the Longines LD: without doubt, the lug-holes were the most-distant from the case of any watch I've owned & it just didn't suit a straight-ended bracelet.
    ______

​Jim.

If you’’d shown me the bracelet and said it was for a Dornblüth, I’’d have thought they were about to release a Diver.

Just too overpowering for a watch of that type/design.

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post

With original mesh bracelet.

I wouldn't recommend shark-mesh with a Dornbluth.

... though it does look good on the Eterna.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

I am thinking mid-brown leather so our tastes are along similar lines. Ideally I probably would have two straps, brown with contrast stitching and black without.

When are you going to finally take the plunge
    Hahaha! Good question Simon. My vague plan when I got the Archimede was to get one for my 60th, which was 2017! My 65th, or maybe 66th to coincide with my free bus pass seem like good dates to consider. I wonder if I can get to Kalbe using a free bus pass? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Lovely watch.

Lovely bracelet.

E.g. Longines Legend Diver - where the gap is minimised...but with such a substantial bracelet it just looks wrong to me.

z
    Agree totally with this. The Dornbluth looks dreadful....I can't believe they'd pair that watch with that bracelet, it looks completely out of place, even moreso with the lack of endlinks. If you showed that to me, I'd have assumed that was a botch job from an amateur.
    Last edited by Christian; 19th October 2020 at 11:59.

There are various sizes and clasp options but here is one...

https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...stainless.html

Or with adjustable clasp...

https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...-20mm-sho.html

Don't know what your lug width is there, those two I linked are both 20mm but they have other widths.
    Thanks for the links Tetlee, I will check them out. The watch is 42mm with 22mm lugs

I have arranged to return the bracelet to Dornbluth this morning, the bracelet situation has left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth and is something I would not expect of a comany that enjoys their reputation.

I think I will wait until I get the watch this week before decidiing if I need to source a bracelet, but I know that without, it probably won't get much wear.

Cheers all for the photos and comments

I don't think it's a good look generally, except for mesh bracelets.

It really doesn't suit that Dornbluth.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That new bracelet does not look a good match at all for a Dornbluth. I wonder why they now offer that when they previously had one that looked much better and with fitted end links.
    I tried STAIB mesh on one of mine and it was OK but now on leaher again I dont see the mesh coming back on.

I think if the profile of the case isn't too round and the bracelet edge can get reasonably close. I have this mesh on my Chronostop and it looks ok IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    That new bracelet does not look a good match at all for a Dornbluth. I wonder why they now offer that when they previously had one that looked much better and with fitted end links.
    I tried STAIB mesh on one of mine and it was OK but now on leaher again I dont see the mesh coming back on.
    Was that on a Dornbluth Ax and would you have any pics?

Was that on a Dornbluth Ax and would you have any pics?
    I got a Staib mesh like THIS for a Damasko long ago that I decided to try.
    I'm not good with photos, taking nor posting, but I hope this should be visible. sorry found no better.

Thanks Ax, appreciated, thats a good photo. I have never worn a watch on mesh but I am really growing to like the idea.

The joys of being attracted to watches that are best worn on a strap

I've got to say, for someone who makes such lovely watches, I'm surprised in the error of judgement not only offering a bracelet that doesn't match it whatsoever, but sourcing from a well known commercial bracelet seller and applying a 5-10x markup. There's nothing worse than making your customers feel like you are taking advantage of them in such a blatant way. It actually puts me off the brand.

Absolutely Christian, I too find it quite a baffling commercial decision. I stumbled across the source of the bracelet without even having a particular interest, those who are more familiar with the aftermarket scene would be straight on to it. It dpes leave a bit of a ill feeling towards the brand but I expect when the watch arrives later this week that will pass.

It does seem out of character. In the 2013 price list their leather strap was €130 and that is still the price today.

Flipping through some old catalogs there is no mention I can see of the old bracelet. But towards the end of the new: "Since October 2019 D Dornbluth & sohn has cooperated with strap company Geckota. This brand from England supplies..."

Thats a good spot Ax, they aren't trying to hide anything. The new catalogue is large, it would take a while to read all of the test so you have more patience than I.

Can I ask, did you go for a polished or matt mesh on your Dornbluth?

Strange thing this strap to watch suitability. Just as a Dornblüth shouldn't be worn on a bracelet, neither should a Damasko IMHO, not even the Damasko bracelet. I once owned a Sinn 656 and bought a Sinn bracelet for it. It was a fantastically well made and high quality bracelet, but it altered the character of the watch considerably in a negative way and off it went. So, Damasko and Dornblüth, neither on a bracelet, both great on leather, yet I wear my Damakos only on canvas at the moment, but wouldn't even consider this for my Archimede or a Dornblüth. Funny old hobby innit . . .

F.T.F.A.

I just started to flip through it from the back so was like the third page :)

I got it for a damasko so it's matt.

Thanks Ax, that makes sense. I won't be sure until the 99.4 arrives tomorrow but I am leaning towards polished.

Strange thing this strap to watch suitability. Just as a Dornblüth shouldn't be worn on a bracelet, neither should a Damasko IMHO, not even the Damasko bracelet. I once owned a Sinn 656 and bought a Sinn bracelet for it. It was a fantastically well made and high quality bracelet, but it altered the character of the watch considerably in a negative way and off it went. So, Damasko and Dornblüth, neither on a bracelet, both great on leather, yet I wear my Damakos only on canvas at the moment, but wouldn't even consider this for my Archimede or a Dornblüth. Funny old hobby innit . . .

It sure is! A Damasko is to me a utilitarian watch and I coud not imagine wearing it on anything but a bracelet. For many years my daily was an IWC3717 and in my mind that was strictly bracelet only. It helps that is was a superb bracelet. None of this would be worthy of such a long winded discussion if I could just pop into a local shop and play around with strap options but I dont have that choice and choosing from a picture can be fraught.

Cheers

Apprentice
    I do like some of the ones with straight end links, it really depends on if it goes well with the watch. Most bracelets are designed with curved end links these days, so I feel a straight end link works best with vintage designs. And you do tend to see them more on mesh. But sometimes in a case like yours where you want to swap out a strap, straight end links are the easiest solution. I really like all the ones pictured here, my favorite being the one in your original photo.

As far as the Tudor Ranger, I think that it works, even though it's an odd choice since the Ranger never had straight links in the first place! But I think they did it to give the Ranger it's own look, even if it wasn't historically accurate. Other Tudor and Rolex models had them in the forties and fifties but went curved (they called it hooded lugs) by the sixties. But I would like to see it used more often to give us more choices from the "same old."