closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sailing south coast in November; what gear?

Sailing south coast in November; what gear?

I知 a (total) newbie to sailing, so would two weeks UK coastal cruising in early winter be boots or deck trainers? gloves, hats and waterproofs? And where do I get this kind of thing? Is there an John Lewis for sailing gear? Advice appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Compass is okay. And I agree with 'all things sailing = overpriced'!

This is a good spot as well: https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk

I've learned a lot with >50 yrs sailing experience when it comes to sailing gear... A few tips:
    • For undergarment, go to a store where they sell clothing for building contractors! Same stuff (sometimes the same brand...) but a lot cheaper: thermo underwear, and a fleece middle layer.
    • Don't forget the fleece trousers. You can also opt for winter cycling gear as middle layer.
    • Top layer: must be absolutely water resistant. Compass / Wetsuit Outlet are both great starting points. Don't overdo it when you're not sure you'll keep on sailing in years to come. Musto is my brand-to-go-to, but a Musto outfit will last for at least 15 yrs! I bough my previous HPX suit in 2000 and only this year I've replaced it for a new suit. Gill and Helly Hansen are also good brands. Australian-made Zhik is good but very, very expensive. They are very 'big' when it comes to wetsuits for dinghy racing.
    • Borrowing a suit can be a worthwhile alternative. Hygiene-wise: you can put it in the washing machine with the proper liquid. No problems.
    • Headgear: fleece beanie is a good idea. Keeps your head warm and dries quickly. Not too expensive. Again, go to a contractors' shop.
    • Gloves... there's a lot to tell about gloves. Big name dinghy sailors use...Marigold yellow gloves to keep their hands dry during winter training! Followed by a layer of thin gloves with rubberized palms you can buy at garden centers! Simple, effective. When the weather is fine, a pair of those gardening gloves on their own, will do.
    • Boots: keep it simple. Do not use gardeners' boots! The profile of that sole is not suited for a deck. You will slip and fall! A pair of rubber boots with the proper 'boat' sole profile will do for the first time. Try them on with proper socks. Thermo when possible. Investing in Dubarry or Zhik boots is a good idea when you start sailing on a regular basis. I don't think you should buy this online. Fitting with proper socks is really important. Getting them on/off with thick socks should be tested!
    • Lifesaving gear... Very important! Again, the previously mentioned websites are a good starting point. Don't overdo it when it's your first experience. No need to buy a (e.g.) Spinlock Deck Vest. Try to borrow something. If you do, check the last date the vest was maintained! Important. Try it on, wearing your gear on! If it doesn't fit, go to the ship chandler (always one around near a marina...) and get one there. You can find them under 80 GBP.

One point: is there a lady coming along? If so, try to get a pair of trousers fit for ladies. She'll be very happy when she has to go to the bathroom and finds out that she wears lady's gear! For lady's the seat part of the trousers can be zipped open

Enjoy your trip and send pics!

Waterproofs, hat and boots, layer up, safety gear a must, try it on and know how to use it, do you experience sea sickness - November can be - challenging, ask the skipper for a list of what you will need.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Take a look at XM clothing
    Their kit is high spec but half the price of Musto or Henri Lloyd etc
    Use mine on a rib in the Solent in winter, no problem with t shirt or thin fleece under it
    I prefer deck shoes to boots but don稚 mind wet hooves
    🐐

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Take a look at XM clothing
    Their kit is high spec but half the price of Musto or Henri Lloyd etc
    Use mine on a rib in the Solent in winter, no problem with t shirt or thin fleece under it
    I prefer deck shoes to boots but don’t mind wet hooves
    XM is proper stuff indeed. It used to be for sale on Compass.

In general: shopping around (online) and thus saving money is worth a few hours on the computer. And don't worry when it comes to mix-and-match colours and brands. It's like wearing a Submariner on a nato: just do it!
    Last edited by thieuster; 18th October 2020 at 11:58.

Corporal, your post raises several questions in my mind. Here are just a few...along with a couple of suggestions:

• a newbie starting with 2 weeks in November rather than a long weekend in summer...it's probably something to do with Covid, but how did that come about?

• are you with a professional skipper or on a club / friend's yacht?

• can you borrow any gear from friends, friends of the skipper etc?

• if you cannot, then how about hiring some? Ask around the sea schools as they often hire out gear to their students...see this pdf

• if you still need to buy something...what is the budget, please? There are plenty of good suggestions above, but prices vary considerably.

• what are the chances that you will need this gear again? As a first experience, two weeks should be enough time to get your sea-legs...or not...and that is often one of the deciding factors.

• where are you based? It would be a good idea to browse in a local shop to see the gear and prices on offer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Corporal, your post raises several questions in my mind. Here are just a few...along with a couple of suggestions:

• a newbie starting with 2 weeks in November rather than a long weekend in summer...it's probably something to do with Covid, but how did that come about?
    • if you cannot, then how about hiring some? Ask around the sea schools as they often hire out gear to their students...see this pdf
    • if you still need to buy something...what is the budget, please? There are plenty of good suggestions above, but prices vary considerably.
    • what are the chances that you will need this gear again? As a first experience, two weeks should be enough time to get your sea-legs...or not...and that is often one of the deciding factors.
    • where are you based? It would be a good idea to browse in a local shop to see the gear and prices on offer.
    Good PDF! The points about face and lip protection are good ones as well! Don't underestimate the result of sea water on your skin in November.

Master
    Have a look at Decathlon. Good quality for reasonable money.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I recently got my first big boat. (Well a lot bigger than my Mirror) and needed a good coastal Jacket / Trousers and Boots.

I get emails from Ardmoor, because i have used them previously used them for Shooting gear. Turns out they do Sailing gear too and had a good sale on.
    https://www.ardmoor.co.uk/sale?used_for%5B0%5D=sailing

If you're size Large there is a set of 'hardly used' Musto MPX gear on eBay with the auction ending on Tuesday.

Will be strictly crew, pro skipper. May or may not go again, depending on how it goes! Maybe it値l be exclusively Med after this. Budget is open but, frankly, don稚 want a load of pricey gear I値l rarely use again.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're size Large there is a set of 'hardly used' Musto MPX gear on eBay with the auction ending on Tuesday.
    I値l look now. Thanks for that.

A professional skipper sounds like a course, charter or, at least, some other form of sailing organisation. They should be able to give you pointers on what to bring and may be able to direct you to a convenient hire shop or source of loan clothing (foul weather gear) as they must come across this situation frequently.

Many thanks for your tips.