closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling a car.....

Selling a car.....

Am selling my wife’s Discovery Sport - it is 5.5 years old and is going in tomorrow to have the supermarket car park scratches sorted out. 1 owner from new, FSH, she’s had it valeted every couple of weeks so lovely interior and about 36k Miles.

I have a WBAC valuation and I’d prefer an easy sale so can the TZ collective advise what other sales channels might be worthwhile investigating.

When it’s back from the garage I will probably stick it on SC but generally prefer not to have tyre kickers come to the house what with scams and insurance issues.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I sold my Volvo XC90 last month. Initially I got a WBAC quote but then decided to go on www.motorway.co.uk . It was incredibly easy and quick, I took some pictures, filled in some questions and then someone called to confirm some information and take me through the process. The next day it essentially went up for auction to the trade and achieved more than I was quoted. The offer comes through and you accept online then the purchaser comes to you to inspect the car is as per the pictures & info, transfers the cash and drives away. It was very smooth and quicker than I expected and I got a price I was happy with (it needed some work done which the purchasing dealer did and it has subsequently gone on their website for only around £2k more than they paid).

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I sold my Volvo XC90 last month. Initially I got a WBAC quote but then decided to go on www.motorway.co.uk . It was incredibly easy and quick, I took some pictures, filled in some questions and then someone called to confirm some information and take me through the process. The next day it essentially went up for auction to the trade and achieved more than I was quoted. The offer comes through and you accept online then the purchaser comes to you to inspect the car is as per the pictures & info, transfers the cash and drives away. It was very smooth and quicker than I expected and I got a price I was happy with (it needed some work done which the purchasing dealer did and it has subsequently gone on their website for only around £2k more than they paid).
    Thanks for that - just kind of info I am looking for as never heard of that company and method.

Try Evans Halshaw

I used Motorway to sell my Golf Gti in January- same experience as above, very easy and straight forward and a grand more than WBAC, I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    A

I have a WBAC valuation and I’d prefer an easy sale TZ-UK mobile app
    I actually found WBAC to be a piece of p!$$ as regards an easy sale.
    Is it the valuation you don't like ??

Master
    similar position with my vw caddy 2.0 48k I was going to convert it so its all sound proofed ad carpeted, electric hook up etc and we buy any van made me in my opinion good offer of £10460 given I paid £11,150 two years ago im quite happy with that and they've been chasing me ever since but I declined to sell there and then as im waiting for my new wheels but im just toying as given the demand for vans that I may get better privately but can't face a load of tyre kickers

I found WBAC a hassle . September 2019 they offered me £14,400 for my Cayenne. I took it there and they knocked off a further £1000. They will knock off money for anything .

Sold it for £15000 last month - more money and a whole year later to A6 motors in Bedford.

Blog Entries
    WBAC are a bunch of scammers IMO they will always try to beat you down at inspection i have just sold via Piston Heads very simple
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    WBAC are a bunch of scammers IMO they will always try to beat you down at inspection i have just sold via Piston Heads very simple
    They’re not scammers, they’re entirely open and honest in their dealings.

They offer an amount based on a car with no marks or damage and then knock money off for anything that needs fixing. They even tell you this before they inspect your vehicle.

They’re going to offer you a low price and you’ll always be able to get more with a little more effort but, in general, we’re all too lazy and they’re a business in it to make money.

They never force you to sell and once they’ve made a final offer, they’ll pay it with no quibbles so to call them scammers is just plain wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They’re not scammers, they’re entirely open and honest in their dealings.

They offer an amount based on a car with no marks or damage and then knock money off for anything that needs fixing. They even tell you this before they inspect your vehicle.

They’re going to offer you a low price and you’ll always be able to get more with a little more effort but, in general, we’re all too lazy and they’re a business in it to make money.

They never force you to sell and once they’ve made a final offer, they’ll pay it with no quibbles so to call them scammers is just plain wrong!
    Agreed. Pain free process and an open and honest view. Simple.

Master
    I sold a car to WBAC in June. It is very easy and simple. You may not get the most cash, but that is not what was being asked for in the OP.

So for the OP situation, WBAC will work a treat.

For what it's worth...my car was three months overdue a service at the time (as the dealer had been closed since lockdown) and they only knocked off c. £150-200 off for that which was cheaper than the service would have been to me. The may have knocked another £100 off from memory for some minor stone chips. I certainly could have got more if I had advertised it and gone through the faff, but I just wanted to get it done and not waste time. I found them very reasonable, I thought they would knock off a lot more.

I concur with WeBuyAnyCar.

I had a car to get rid of on Sunday last, got a quote from their website, booked it in, and took it up on Sunday morning.

The lady running the place was brilliant - a real car girl. Knew her stuff, didn't muck around, and offered me almost all the on line valuation. I was expecting her to beat me down on every little detail, and would have accepted at least 2k less just to get it gone, but I didn't have to.

It took about 30mins, she was super helpful and polite, and the whole process was completely pain-free.

Yes, I could have advertised it on Autotrader or Ebay and maybe got a bit more, but in this time of Covid restrictions I simply couldn't be bothered with the hassle - after all, how can you even do test drives?

I don't say this lightly, but I was absolutely delighted with the service from WBAC.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I found WBAC a hassle . September 2019 they offered me £14,400 for my Cayenne. I took it there and they knocked off a further £1000. They will knock off money for anything .

Sold it for £15000 last month - more money and a whole year later to A6 motors in Bedford.
    I just bought a car from them - not your Cayenne and they took my RX400h in part exchange for a very good price.

Journeyman
    Motorway or WBAC get an idea of what it’s worth. Cars are in big demand right now good time to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I just bought a car from them - not your Cayenne and they took my RX400h in part exchange for a very good price.
    Have to say they were brilliant to deal with even picked up the car after agreeing a price over the phone.

I didn’t even bother getting a quote from wbac this year .
    Will definitely sell my current car to them when I upgrade .

Haha people forget, all these dealers etc gotta make their profit, too... So they obviously can't and won't offer top dollar. This is not supposed to be taken as an insult.. this is their business.

But in exchange the deal is done and you don't gotta mess with 35 tire-kicker time-waters from Gumtree by selling it private party. This is the trade off.

Either way good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I sold my 7 year old Freelander to a local independant Land Rover dealer, bank transfer while I waited.

I got £900 more than the JLR dealership I was getting new car from and £200 more than WBAC.

So worth a few calls to indy 4x4 dealers I'd say.

WBAC offered me an updated price yesterday pushing it up

I p/x it at main dealer Wednesday for a realistic trade figure that exceeded it

I don’t think they seem bad - just have to be open with them

A good advert on AT or PH should get you calls from traders as a min above the WBAC price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling a car.....

Thread update:- WBAC gave me an ok offer. In advance of taking it I had some bits of paintwork sorted. Other than a couple of marked alloys a really great condition car with Full dealer service history and attractive spec.

Went yesterday and they down bid me by £800. Told them I would leave it.

Then put it straight on motorway.co.uk where they take more details and photos off you and then open an auction to dealerships. The auction closes at 3pm and car is sold for £200 more than WBAC original offer ie £1000 more than I could have got from them yesterday

Thanks to the TZer who told me about this company.

Master
    What did WBAC mark it down on if I may ask?

Looking to sell my car so interested in how picky they are.

If WBAC quoted me £200, i could sell the same car for £800 myself in the local newspaper or putting a for sale sign on it.

I know because i have done it several times, they are pro con artists. I only asked them for a quote to have a laugh.

Sell it yourself locally and with local advertising

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    If WBAC quoted me £200, i could sell the same car for £800 myself in the local newspaper or putting a for sale sign on it.

I know because i have done it several times, they are pro con artists. I only asked them for a quote to have a laugh.

Sell it yourself locally and with local advertising
    They probably quoted you £200 for a laugh because they aren’t interested in such low value cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

They said there were some chips under the front bumper ..... on the Disco this is a silver piece anyway and totally not noticeable and 2 alloys. But I guess it is an excuse to lowball and then you are there and I guess they expect some people to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

A few years ago my mum sold a car to WBAC and the guy admitted he was commissioned and the more he marked down the car the more money he got. In the end he took it for what the website quoted as he needed one more car to hit target and it was his deadline day. Might be different now but I'm sure you can haggle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They probably quoted you £200 for a laugh because they aren’t interested in such low value cars.
    Grow up for god sake mate, i would expect that response from a 10 year old with issues

An alternative to WBAC is Motorway. www.motorway.co.uk

Essentially a direct to dealer model who 'bid' on your car.

You choose the highest bidder, with them validating the condition.

They come to you and if they are happy they pay instantly.

The only problem you will have is if your condition is not as described.

It's a direct to dealer offering meaning no auction fees and in some cases little to none preparation/remedial work so they pass the benefit to you.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Grow up for god sake mate, i would expect that response from a 10 year old with issues
    Well it wasn’t me getting quotes for a laugh.

Craftsman
    Yes, WBAC do mark it down a lot but you do have the opportunity to haggle. When I was selling my XF, their number even after haggling was way too low. I sold it to www.money4yourmotors.com (no affiliation) They come to you for the inspection. Got £1000 over WBAC's best offer!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    An alternative to WBAC is Motorway. www.motorway.co.uk
    Which is what ajw232 said a week ago

I've sold various cars over the last couple of years from an old Merc A Class, Boxster S, Audi S4 Avant, nearly new VW Polo. Without fail, Autotrader has delivered buyers to my door and not had any bother with time wasters as I have enough experience flogging motors to deal with them. In every case, I beat the WBAC quotes by a decent whack for the sake of a £50 ad and a few phone calls.

Been buying and selling cars privately since the days of 4 liners in Exchange & Mart.
    Last edited by broxie; 7th October 2020 at 22:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Yes, WBAC do mark it down a lot but you do have the opportunity to haggle. When I was selling my XF, their number even after haggling was way too low. I sold it to www.money4yourmotors.com (no affiliation) They come to you for the inspection. Got £1000 over WBAC's best offer!
    I’ve dealt with WBAC 3 times each time a joke all three cars in good condition for year with any faults disclosed ended up getting more from dealer px twice and once selling privately