closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Rolex predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    What the hell does ‘DEFYING EXCELLENCE’ mean?

defy
    /dɪˈfʌɪ/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: defying
    openly resist or refuse to obey.
    "a woman who defies convention"

So, resisting excellence / refusing to be excellent? Did they perhaps mean ‘defining’?

From Rolex.com:
    Indeed, it is an error.
    Surprised it is still there and not corrected yet.

Master
    Surely it cannot be an error.
    Usual Rolex marketing guff which is hard to make sense of, but an error unlikely.
    Their press release of the Deepsea challenge had some of these phrases and their 'testing' page has the phrases:
    'Defying the elements' and 'Few companies have been so consistently identified with the pursuit of excellence, the quest for the absolute, the discovery of original approaches and innovative solutions. Rolex watches have proved themselves from the start in the most extreme conditions imaginable - from the depths of the deepest oceans to the summits of the highest mountains, in the air and on the race track. And to ensure that all Rolex watches can live up to these high expectations, every single one is tested to extremes before it is allowed to leave the Rolex site.'

So somehow I am sure they feel it makes sense. However, if they do go on to correct it after all, wouldn't that be funny!

Master
    Taking the below from TRF, possibly some concrete news. Also a new model called 1908 - could be Cellini replacement.

All of the following URL's are currently indexed to Google, but they are new (first crawls all this month), have zero or very few links pointing at them, and are valid URL's currently returning 404 errors:
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...h-daytona.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...y-dweller.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...ht-master.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...perpetual.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...ubmariner.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...plorer-40.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...-day-date.html

Furthermore, most of these URL's have corresponding versions in other languages AND corresponding newsroom article URL's (including one speaking to the new submariner's waterproofness). Thus, it looks like we can expect to see an all-new Daytona finally, a new Submariner, new Day Date variation(s), a new 40mm Explorer, a new skydweller (wasn't expecting that), a new yachtmaster (probably in titanium) and a new oyster perpetual.
    Last edited by Boss13; 24th March 2023 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Taking the below from TRF, possibly some concrete news. Also a new model called 1908 - could be Cellini replacement.

All of the following URL's are currently indexed to Google, but they are new (first crawls all this month), have zero or very few links pointing at them, and are valid URL's currently returning 404 errors:
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...h-daytona.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...y-dweller.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...ht-master.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...perpetual.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...ubmariner.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...plorer-40.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-wa...-day-date.html

Furthermore, most of these URL's have corresponding versions in other languages AND corresponding newsroom article URL's (including one speaking to the new submariner's waterproofness). Thus, it looks like we can expect to see an all-new Daytona finally, a new Submariner, new Day Date variation(s), a new 40mm Explorer, a new skydweller (wasn't expecting that), a new yachtmaster (probably in titanium) and a new oyster perpetual.
    Interesting that there’s no gold GMT master on that list, it seemed like the most obvious reveal from the teaser.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Interesting that there’s no gold GMT master on that list, it seemed like the most obvious reveal from the teaser.
    There was a follow up post about that:

It's possible that the GMT URL hasn't been indexed yet, or that it was just recently indexed and my tool didn't pick it up. Or of course, it's also possible that there is not a new GMT coming (although it does look like it in the teaser).

Master
    Perhaps the slogan is part of a longer message? Something like, “DEFYING EXCELLENCE, REJECTING SUBTLETY, REFUSING AVAILABILITY”?

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I'd agree that's the most obvious (along with a new Explorer of some description). It clearly has the same bezel fonts and markers as the GMT plus in the watchfinder video you can see the 'II' of GMT Master II on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I see the usual repetative negativity from the usual suspects.

It's a watch forum discussing the new releases of popular watches.

No likey no looky.

I'm looking forward to W&W to see what all the brands are releasing this year.
    Lighten up, it’s just a little joke! - I don’t think even Rolex are immune to a bit of light hearted leg-pulling are they?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Hope the 40mm explorer is true as I would love that! Not that I’d be able to get one tho!

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Hope the 40mm explorer is true as I would love that! Not that I’d be able to get one tho!
    The 39mm was around for ages and (relatively) nobody wanted it until towards the end of its life when all Sports models became rare at ADs. I will most likely feel the same as you about this 40mm Explorer but I will try to remember that I didn't care for the 39mm when it was freely available so thrre really is no need to covert it's new equivalent.

Covert = covet (can't seem to edit posts on mobile)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 39 exp1 was like a dinner plate so a 40 won't appeal to me, but we are all different and I'm sure some will love it if they can get one.

I hope they keep the 36 going though for the option.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    The 39 exp1 was like a dinner plate so a 40 won't appeal to me, but we are all different and I'm sure some will love it if they can get one.

I hope they keep the 36 going though for the option.
    Only rolex I’ve ever sucked it up and bought again which cost me nearly 70% more than I’d sold for.

I think these days especially the 40mm won’t be a genuine measurement and it would probably be a 39/39.5mm in reality.

It will be 41, or whatever the exact measurement of the Air King is. 21mm lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Lighten up, it’s just a little joke! - I don’t think even Rolex are immune to a bit of light hearted leg-pulling are they?
    I enjoyed the joke...apparently they don't like it up 'em these rolex enthusiasts, nope not even in jest...serious business this rolex appreciation.

Why name the OP 41, when it's 39.5 mm, anyone please? Was the previous model the 39, actually 39 mm? Seems odd.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th March 2023 at 10:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I enjoyed the joke...apparently they don't like it up 'em these rolex enthusiasts, nope not even in jest...serious business this rolex appreciation.

Why name the OP 41, when it's 39.5 mm, anyone please? Was the previous model the 39, actually 39 mm? Seems odd.
    It's strange stuff, some say it's about perceived size and how it wears, probably it's about having something that sounds like the next one after the 39. Calling it the 40 doesn't sound different enough, calling it the 41 panders to people who think bigger is better or have it in their head that 42 is a manly size. A bit like saying 'extra large size condoms' basically.

Why do you hope not? If it is and you don't like it, don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Good christ I do hope not.

2023 Rolex predictions

If only it was just a little joke, Rob.

***edit*** I didn’t see a joke in regards to the posts I was responding to. Which post(s) are you referring to?

Some are bitter and it runs through many a thread on here.

Maybe they should lighten up and accept things for what they (currently) are.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 24th March 2023 at 11:50.

Isn't the AirKing in a Milgauss case? That'll be a chunky Explorer if they reuse that case.

As for the 39mm being a "dinner plate" yes it has more dial than you'd think but like a dinner plate it's elegantly thin.

As for Rolex releases, I now like to see what they bring out but I'm past buying another, for cost and availability reasons.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Isn't the AirKing in a Milgauss case? That'll be a chunky Explorer if they reuse that case.

As for the 39mm being a "dinner plate" yes it has more dial than you'd think but like a dinner plate it's elegantly thin.

As for Rolex releases, I now like to see what they bring out but I'm past buying another, for cost and availability reasons.
    No crown guard on the shadow

Elegantly thin is about the perfect description of mist Rolex models. I dismissed the 42mm Explorer2 because I was convinced it would be too big when I tried it on it was perfect thanks in no small part to the slim case.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Why do you hope not? If it is and you don't like it, don't buy it.
    Because it wouldn't suit the watch in my opinion. The Explorer2 manages to be more tool like than most and I love the heavy use of brushed Oystersteel. Why ruin it with gold??

The updated 2022 AK has its own thinner case.

Master

2023 Rolex predictions

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No crown guard on the shadow

Left handed new milgauss maybe with blue dial? The milgauss is known for being quirky

It's strange stuff, some say it's about perceived size and how it wears, probably it's about having something that sounds like the next one after the 39. Calling it the 40 doesn't sound different enough, calling it the 41 panders to people who think bigger is better or have it in their head that 42 is a manly size. A bit like saying 'extra large size condoms' basically.
    Thank you, seems a likely enough theory.

2023 Rolex predictions

Thanks for the corrections. I'm definitely behind the times. :)
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    If only it was just a little joke, Rob.

***edit*** I didn’t see a joke in regards to the posts I was responding to. Which post(s) are you referring to?

Some are bitter and it runs through many a thread on here.

Maybe they should lighten up and accept things for what they (currently) are.
    Just my own joke about their Chinese marketing company next to the factory, no harm meant

Master
    Blog Entries
    What the hell does ‘DEFYING EXCELLENCE’ mean?

defy
    /dɪˈfʌɪ/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: defying

So, resisting excellence / refusing to be excellent? Did they perhaps mean ‘defining’?

From Rolex.com:
    Agreed, really odd. Can’t be an error though.

Just my own joke about their Chinese marketing company next to the factory, no harm meant
    Ah, got it. No, nothing to do with your post, Rob.

Although I have been known to be sensitive in the past in regards to Chinese manufacturing (generally blinkered visions/opinions on sweatshops), I took your post in the nature it was intended.

Have a great weekend.

By 3Q23 Rolex will be bought by Invicta, which will brand its entire line of watches as "Rolex."

I think it should be "defining" and as such believe they have made a mistake, a typo.

Master
    It appears that it is simply a terrible mistranslation of the French ‘Le défi de l’excellence’, meaning ‘The challenge of excellence’, as seen on their French language site.

This is a hilarious, but also astonishing and embarrassing cock up for a brand the size of Rolex. Even more amazing is that either they haven’t realised, or they’ve decided to just style it out and hope no one notices. Perhaps they think changing it and admitting it’s wrong will be even more of a story.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It appears that it is simply a terrible mistranslation of the French ‘Le défi de l’excellence’, meaning ‘The challenge of excellence’, as seen on their French language site.

This is a hilarious, but also astonishing and embarrassing cock up for a brand the size of Rolex. Even more amazing is that either they haven’t realised, or they’ve decided to just style it out and hope no one notices. Perhaps they think changing it and admitting it’s wrong will be even more of a story.

Well … based on that it certainly looks an error. I guess most of the powerful people in their marketing team are not native English speakers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Only rolex I’ve ever sucked it up and bought again which cost me nearly 70% more than I’d sold for.

I think these days especially the 40mm won’t be a genuine measurement and it would probably be a 39/39.5mm in reality.
    Yep, I’ve been there too

Bought again to remind myself I didn’t like it the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I think it should be "defining" and as such believe they have made a mistake, a typo.
    Without question a mistake. God knows how it made it to publication, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Bought again to remind myself I didn’t like it the first time
    A true WIS classic

All set for the morning

The google definition of DEFY is in 2 parts :-

Similar:
    disobey - refuse to obey - go against - rebel against - flout - fly in the face of - thumb one's nose at etc etc

appear to be challenging (someone) to do or prove something.
    "he glowered at her, defying her to mock him"

I think they are using the second definition ..... The challenging of Excellence

I agree it sounds odd but it seems extraordinary that Rolex would make a cock up on such a scale.

Also I thought the USA was the second largest Rolex sales market globally behind China ? so it seems inconceivable that the global marketing team would not be fully abreast with the nuances of the English language. (Especially as I believe English has the third largest number of speakers globally, behind Chinese and Spanish.)
    Last edited by ChronoPantera; 26th March 2023 at 23:55.

Master
    Well here we have it.

New Daytona

Well here we have it.

New Daytona

If correct it looks like a Ceramic Insert inside a metal bezel ?

Master

2023 Rolex predictions

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    If correct it looks like a Ceramic Insert inside a metal bezel ?
    Yes. A bit weird.
    Throwback to older generations though perhaps.

New Root Beer is nice, the rest meh

Master

Yes. A bit weird.
    Throwback to older generations though perhaps.
    Agree and also a bit Speedmastery

Crazy looking OP!

Milgauss discontinued

Open casebacks on the Platona and here's a pic of the new OP

Master
    The titanium yacht master is nice. Shame it doesn’t have glide lock clasp.

Most impressive refresh of the range for some years, it has to be said. Loving the new Explorer 40, OP 1908 and YM, and also really like the Skydweller on Oysterflex.

Craftsman
    Well, I actually like this 1908. Probably out of my budget...is there any price information available?