closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your life today

Master

Your life today

Are you coping? What’s changed for you in your routine?
    I’m trying to be so careful as is the mrs. Hate going to the supermarket. Waitrose wasn’t rammed but still not a healthy atmosphere I’m sure. Mrs Slamdoor washes the food and packaging when we get home. I wash my mits so often I loose count.
    Went for a walk to the local park which was as busy as ever. Social distancing not in evidence at all. When will people wake up?
    Both retired but won’t be catching local transport anywhere for ages despite some tosser stealing the catalytic converter from the car last week. Despite all the hassles facing people you can rely on some scumbags to take any advantage they can.
    How was your day?

Master
    Worked in the garage until 3 pm, went for a walk ( appx 90 mins). Social distancing really noticeable. People stopping in drives or moving into the road. Runners running on the road when passing pedestrians. Felt really strange.

Buses still out , saw two both double deckers, one had two passengers, the other one. Both coming back from Chester, which at 4 pm on a Sunday would have normally be busier.
    Last edited by higham5; 22nd March 2020 at 19:48.

Our usual walks have become ridiculously busy. By the end of the week we'll be legally obliged to stay indoors, not just asked politely.

For the time being it was welcome respite from the fear of uncertainty …

I'm now working from home and when I venture out, every single thing I touch makes me think about the virus. We're all in a state of fear and disbelief that this is happening. None of my immediate family are in the high risk group but the fact that plenty we know are gives serious pause for thought.

It's a roller coaster of emotions, where one minute I'm positive, knowing it will all work out (China seems to have weathered the storm for now), and then just utterly dejected that our way of life has been torn apart by pandemic.

Washing hands, nervous in shops, keeping away from people. This will last for months …

Master
    How was my day? No mass today or for the foreseeable future. That’s going to be hard to adjust to, especially throughout Lent. Had a long walk along the Union Canal with my Whippet. Not many dog walkers out, but too many cyclists for our liking. Bought some odds and ends at my local Tesco. It really wasn’t too busy. Managed to score some loo rolls. No dry dog food on the shelves though. Fortunately for Eli (my hound) I’ve got a considerable amount of his favourite dry food set aside.

I’m going to miss the company of my colleagues, several of whom are also close friends. The majority of them are now working from home. There’s no-one else at home so I’ve volunteered to remain in the office. No possibility of it being closed as it has just been rebranded as a critical response building for the duration of this crisis. Until last Friday it was just a Council housing office.

In my free time, I’m looking forward to catching up on my reading. The lack of interaction with people during my time outside of work will take some adjusting to. I’m 55 and in good health. I’m not worried for myself, but worried for those I love and care for.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 22nd March 2020 at 19:54.

Master
    Spent the day mowing, weeding and then, eventually, enjoying a beer in the early spring sun with the Mrs.

Stay positive everyone. It’s going to be a crappy few weeks / months undoubtedly but most will come out the other side. Best wishes to everyone.

Master
    Fortunately we have acres of fields behind our house and very few people about so took the dog and kids out for a walk to get some fresh air, came home and jetwashed patios washed cars etc, typical Sunday for us really aside from not going out for a Sunday dinner with my mum who finally seems to be getting the message to isolate.
    Back to work for me tomorrow anyway I’ve been on call over the weekend but luckily not called out (electrician nhs buildings and schools which are now hubs ) I admit to feeling really conflicted about going, worried about catching something and passing it to family but at the same time feel I should be doing my bit just try to stay safe. I must admit though getting to and from sites has been unreal with no traffic on the road this past week I can’t help but wonder if this will change the way people work from now on with many commuting and hour or more to move a mouse about on a computer.

Smile

I have worked from home for 14 years so no change there ,and same as I do every Saturday & Sunday from October till end of April beginning May, in my garage working on my cars , just made some exhaust bkts today from ally, self isolation on a weekend is normal for me with the only visitor being the wife with hot brews , of course it will be devastating come june when the car show season would be in full swing and no where to go, but it may give me time to do the little jobs that always get put off , like decorating LOL.

@seabiscuit, thanks for posting that.

In our little village the church is not particularly well attended, but for the (largely) older members of the village it is one of the constants that they rely upon and measure their weeks by.

In this day and age it has become fashionable to mock religion (or Christianity at least) but for many it provides not just spiritual but also social support. That is something many - of any and all religions - will now miss with the cancellation of services.

We are fortunate that our village has already instituted a support network, whether for shopping, prescriptions, lifts to appointments or whatever. Sadly this type of community spirit doesn’t attract media attention, but I know of numerous such networks that are being rolled out. In all this chaos and selfishness it is good to see such examples of human kindness.

So far as my day, I’ve been in the garage doing some leatherwork and fitted the automatic opener to the greenhouse window. We have planted a load of seeds that - if they germinate - will form the basis of our allotment this year. We can be almost self-sufficient when it comes to meat and vegetables, and share what we can when we have a surplus. At the moment this is keeping us in wine!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Had a game of golf in the beautiful early Spring sunshine. Didn’t shake hands with playing partners at the end!

Master
    Went for a ride out to Lincolnshire and back on a bike, 76 miles in total. Normally on a ride of that distance I'd visit a cafe, a pub or at least a shop, but not today. Took enough stuff to keep myself adequately fuelled over the whole ride.

Lots of people parked at Belvoir Castle. I wondered if the people sitting round tables there, or walking together were from the same household.

Master
    Bike ride then a family walk. Good for the soul.

For those who may be working in isolation at home, I strongly recommend Google Hangouts.

It's free, icredibly easy to use, requires no software on your laptop, and works brilliantly.

And then you can just have it running and meet/chat to your colleagues and see them whenever you like. So far I've used it with seven of my Leadership Team simultaneously and no issues whatsoever.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    How encouraging to see posts emphasising the community spirit that villages engender contrasting the ‘me me and sod everyone else’ that some city folk seem to adopt whilst queuing outside Tesco’s.

There are so many mentalists out there determined to kill as many people as possible - that I'm on self-imposed lock-down. I've always had a store cupboard for emergencies (so no hoarding for me or need to find supplies) and can work from home - so I do not plan to go any further than my back garden for at least a month.

Craftsman
    Took the kids for a bike ride to Hertford this aftermoon. Really clear to them to keep their distance and from others.

However, saw loads of people out walking in groups together or sat at benches. Utterly dispairing of their decision making.

I also had to go to town yesterday to return some purchases before shops closed. I gave everyone a wide birth, unlike others I saw.

I just dont understand why people are not listening.

Garden work today, followed by doing the ironing and delivering the Parish Magazine in the village, whilst SWMBO planted her Chili, tomato, spring onion, pepper, and cucumber seeds before starting dinner.

Golf tomorrow, Tuesday I will chopping out all the old mortar from the patio (what’s left of it), Wednesday Golf, Thursday will be re-pointing the patio (hopefully), Friday Golf, Saturday will planning the replacement of the side Garden Gate (which includes replacing the Gate posts) - dreading it, but it needs to be done. Then building a fence and gate - using gravel boards (it needs to last 30 years).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I will meet 15-20 different people each working day (albeit I only do 2 days a week) and am quite fatalistic that either I, or Mrs Beanie who is a receptionist at a veterinary practice (which she loves) will be exposed to CV19. Both of us are around 60 but are quite robust, so I accept that we will probably get it. We both just get on with it and whilst trying to minimise the risk, aren't going to let it dominate our lives.
    So, life as usual really.

Went on my mountain bike along the ridgeway today, on my own obviously. Usually I see a handful of people maybe 10 max, today I've never seen it so busy. Probably near a hundred people, in family groups, grandparents with grandkids, people having picnics etc. So much for social isolation! It was so busy I decided to take the road back, rather than retrace my steps, as it was quieter.

Yes it's been a lovely day here weather wise but it seems a lot of people just aren't taking this pandemic seriously at all.

Stay safe out there,
    Gary

Master
    Had a walk around town, went for a drive, life continues as normal.

Master
    @willie-gunn: And thank you for your post.

I hear people talking about confining themselves to their homes for a month or more to avoid this. I’d struggle with that. I love walking, with or without my hound. Fortunately for me I’m a very short distance from the Union Canal and I can access it early morning and evening. From there I can also access the grounds of Heriot-Watt University and its woodland trails. Walking eases the stresses of the working day. It’s possible to be out for a couple of hours and only spot another person from a distance.

Had to go to Aldi - which would be awful at the best of times but much worse in the current climate. Shelves were reasonably well stocked - they even had toilet paper.

Rest of the day spent in the garden - lots of work to do there and its nice to be physically tired from doing things in a relatively safe environment.

The sunshine was wonderful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Had to go to Aldi - which would be awful at the best of times but much worse in the current climate. Shelves were reasonably well stocked - they even had toilet paper.

Rest of the day spent in the garden - lots of work to do there and its nice to be physically tired from doing things in a relatively safe environment.

The sunshine was wonderful.
    Why is visiting Aldi awful?

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Those 250 metre converyor belts, having to mix with poor people, going in for a pint of milk, and coming out with a cordless drill, forgetting to collect your £1 out of the trolley....and..and...

Can't say I'm feeling good about things today.

Obviously couldn't visit my mum and won't be able to for some while.

My daughter's June wedding is off, my holiday next week is off, work is going down the drain, son's birthday present and meal out are cancelled.

Hard to see much positivity right now.

The day? Did some chores around the garden, had a walk down the canal, few people around, all giving each other a wide berth, most refusing even to acknowledge each other.

Went to B&Q to get some guttering, but there were two 40 people long queues to get in, I guess they were restricting numbers inside, so I just kept on driving.

Couldn't go diving, couldn't go to the gym, couldn't visit friends...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd March 2020 at 22:56.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Spent the day with my son walking then in the garden. Tomorrow I'm back in work unsure about what to do with my son but sending him to nursery seems a bad option.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Nothing against Aldi in particular - more about anywhere containing random people.

I dislike it intensely.

Family gym session in the garden. Food and a few glasses of red. Back to work tomorrow. Open my shop up. See what happens
    I’ve been really quiet for a week now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Those 250 metre converyor belts, having to mix with poor people, going in for a pint of milk, and coming out with a cordless drill, forgetting to collect your £1 out of the trolley....and..and...
    Ours has rollers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Nothing against Aldi in particular - more about anywhere containing random people.

I dislike it intensely.

Master
    I, along with family, got woken up around 6.20am with a 5.3 earthquake rattling the house and city (Zagreb) followed by various tremors all day !!!! Should note that my son slept through the first big quake though he did wake up for the second big quake that went through. We are only 5-10 miles from the epicentre as we live north of the city so it was an interesting morning.

After that everything sort of went back to normal in the afternoon, time with the kids, worked out in the basement etc etc

Slightly surreal looking back on it as it even snowed in the morning before getting back to sunshine this afternoon.

Never mind the virtual lock down etc.

Mad, mad world at present.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The day? Did some chores around the garden, had a walk down the canal, few people around, all giving each other a wide berth, most refusing even to acknowledge each other.
    I have noticed that too, what's that all about. I would expect the opposite at a time like this.

Lynn and I started doing Tai Chi at home today. Gyms are closed for the foreseeable future so we see this as the next best thing to help stay reasonably fit whilst de-risking ourselves as best we can. It also seems to be quite relaxing too. Lots of free 'classes' on the internet.

Not comfortable with going out, other than in the back garden as not sure that people are taking social distancing very seriously.

Have also been sorting through my very many photographs - hence the post about my fly reel restoration in G&D - which has also prompted me to plan sorting out my fishing tackle so it's ready for when this is all over.

Certain foodstuffs may become a problem for us, mainly milk flour and yeast which seem to be in short supply, other than that we've managed to get a delivery scheduled with ASDA for a weeks basics - though what will actually turn up we can only wait and see.

Strange times, stay safe everyone.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    not great day - Mother's Day - my mother is 96 and, for obvious reasons I could not visit her, (plus I'm 4 hours drive away, over 70 and not leaving the house), obviously she may not have many more years left to go and the current situation is really dangerous for her as she still lives in her own house.
    My brother now has to fight through the Super Market queues to get her food.

We have not fully explained to her what this virus thing is about, she would not really understand.

Her younger grandchildren went to see her but only through the window so they were separated by glass - neither could quite understand why and apparently it was quite an upsetting experience.

Strange times which have become terrible for many old people

Gardening, spent som extra time cooking, watching Netflix.

Anyone else foreseeing a baby boom around December/January?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    not great day - Mother's Day - my mother is 96 and, for obvious reasons I could not visit her, (plus I'm 4 hours drive away, over 70 and not leaving the house), obviously she may not have many more years left to go and the current situation is really dangerous for her as she still lives in her own house.
    My brother now has to fight through the Super Market queues to get her food.

We have not fully explained to her what this virus thing is about, she would not really understand.

Her younger grandchildren went to see her but only through the window so they were separated by glass - neither could quite understand why and apparently it was quite an upsetting experience.

Strange times which have become terrible for many old people
    That is pretty sad to hear and must be so tough on those who do not fully understand the situation (both young and old).

My day - I am slowly evolving into a routine. I'm trying to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. No success so far, but I'll get there. I will be doing my workouts every morning - rotating between HIIT, yoga/balance work and some strength - using rice bags as weights . I'll be working from home, fingers crossed things don't dry up, but it may do.

If/when I do get bored, I have just received 10 books from Amazon which I am very much looking forward to digging in to - always preferred books over TV!

Master
    I'm an essential worker so finished a 12hr night shift this morning, 5hrs sleep as usual then as a family we took Loki for his favourite walk. Much busier than usual in the field/river, normally only me and him but lots of families out and about getting some fresh air (all keeping their distance). Back to work soon so pretty normal for me but the Mrs is having to work from home, which see can't get used to, and now my kids are off it's going to be a trying time for her.

Keep safe everyone👍

I am in a bad place right now
    I'm in some kind of groundhog day hell. Came down with some sort of tummy bug Tues last week and am now on day 6 of hourly toilet visits both day and night. It's really not fun anymore.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that Brighty - hope you get well soon - lots of water..

• Went for a lovely walk in local woodlands (National Trust owned) for couple of hours with wife.
    • Went to garden centre only bought bird seed and avoided the too close queues in the main section - paying in the pet section.
    • Back home - I cooked lunch of burgers, mash and also fresh green veg from the garden (well it was Mothering Sunday).
    • Afternoon, watched movie on terrestrial TV then had a zoom meeting with friends who live only 1/2mile away.
    • Walked down to local Coop to pick up a few provisions - luckily a delivery was in progress so there was milk and a few items present.
    • Then spent time on TZ while wife cooked some cakes. Messaged my sister. Must be bedtime soon??

Tomorrow is an imposed schedule - we have made our own schedule, even though both of us have retired from paid employment.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd March 2020 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I am in a bad place right now
    I'm in some kind of groundhog day hell. Came down with some sort of tummy bug Tues last week and am now on day 6 of hourly toilet visits both day and night. It's really not fun anymore.

Have you been tested ? Because it is [disputed] argued that it is one of the potential symptoms?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Have you been tested ? Because it is [disputed] argued that it is one of the potential symptoms?
    Thats just guaranteed him a sleepless night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Thats just guaranteed him a sleepless night.
    Thought it was what I had last Tues, woke with aches and a fever, then come lunchtime the squits kicked in and I dismissed it. Next day fever was gone, but I've been hammering Andrex white gold ever since.
    Google last week gave no hits for corona virus and diarrhea. Just looked now and it's everywhere. Bugger
    Last edited by Brighty; 23rd March 2020 at 00:35.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Gardening, spent som extra time cooking, watching Netflix.

Anyone else foreseeing a baby boom around December/January?
    Funnily enough the thought about a baby boom went through my mind on my walk.

Spring is here, people are all at home all day, nothing else to do!

M

Blog Entries
    Took the dog for a walk making sure to stay away from other people. Spent the rest of the day either indoors, in the garden, or in the workshop and garage. The better half took the dog for a short walk this morning and hasn't been out after that. We have enough food in the cupboards and freezer for this next week at least, so don't need to do any shopping yet.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Worked in the garage until 3 pm, went for a walk ( appx 90 mins). Social distancing really noticeable. People stopping in drives or moving into the road. Runners running on the road when passing pedestrians. Felt really strange.

Buses still out , saw two both double deckers, one had two passengers, the other one. Both coming back from Chester, which at 4 pm on a Sunday would have normally be busier.
    Stranger world today

glad I had a vasectomy four years go.... though dont see condoms flying off the shelves which they should be

Bought some hair clippers today - plenty of bowls at home too

Sorry but you can't just assume a position like that. It's not just about you catching it, it's about you passing it on and the 15-20 people you meet passing it on and them passing it on....and on....and on....

It cannot be life as usual. If it is for you then you're not taking the appropriate measures and will make this scenario last far longer than it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I will meet 15-20 different people each working day (albeit I only do 2 days a week) and am quite fatalistic that either I, or Mrs Beanie who is a receptionist at a veterinary practice (which she loves) will be exposed to CV19. Both of us are around 60 but are quite robust, so I accept that we will probably get it. We both just get on with it and whilst trying to minimise the risk, aren't going to let it dominate our lives.
    So, life as usual really.

Master
    Funnily enough the thought about a baby boom went through my mind on my walk.

Spring is here, people are all at home all day, nothing else to do!

M

Just the matter of what to do with the other 23hrs 59min and 30 seconds of the day?

Master
    Today has been stressful.

I often work from home but I'm not used to having my wife try to run a school for our two kids (7 & 9) in the next room. Lots of shouting, wife and daughter have both been in tears several times.

Took a short run out in the car at lunch time to try to get the few bits of weekly shopping I couldn't get in the supermarket yesterday. 6 shops in 2 days and still no sign of a small pack of pasta or 2 chicken breasts. People seem to have moved on to these products now the bog roll fad is dying out.

Queuing for the pharmacy

Last edited by snowman; 23rd March 2020 at 18:36.

Queuing for the pharmacy

In Tesco those same people will be queuing shoulder to shoulder.