closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cup Boiler ...

Cup Boiler ...

Forgive what may appear to be an obscure question !

I've recently started a new role with a company that doesn't provide a kitchen or brew station.

All refreshments are expected to be purchased from the company restaurant, which includes a franchise of a high street coffee brand with drinks at full high street prices.

As an avid tea drinker, this is going to be an expensive indulgence.

Personal kettles are not allowed on health and safety grounds, but the company blurb doesn't include the mini boilers which look like a kettle element and are simply dunked into the mug.

These vary significantly in build and price.

Does anyone have personal experience of these cup boilers and can make a recommendation, please ?

Cheers !

Craftsman
    Overthinking a bit?

Just take a flask of boiling water to work.

I bought one of these...184033624817...as it was cheap and relatively powerful (600 W or so they say). All I can say is that it works, the only drawback being that it's fitted with a US type flat pin plug, but that's nothing an adapter cannot get round. The same supplier lists a similar 500 W version...183903183867...that has a different coil shape.

PS Make sure that the adapter can cope with at least 5 Amps (shaver adapters look the part but are generally fused at 1A).
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th December 2019 at 01:43.

If there is no kitchen - how do you plan to wash up? In the toilets?

The restaurant/coffee shop should provide a cup of hot water for free, especially if you take your own cup.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you buy a cup boiler, don't be surprised if that gets banned in company policy before long - far more risk of an H+S incident than with a kettle. As has been said, a Thermos flask is probably the best/safest option (unless the restaurant will provide hot water but I wouldn't be surprised if it only offered cold water).

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    As others have said, surely a thermos flask is the answer. Quite large ones are available.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Flask is the only answer unless you want to take on the establishment........

B

Just rock up with a camping gas stove and pan, then tell the bosses they should be providing proper welfare facilities like decent employers.
    Alternatively, just follow the sensible folks advice on this thread.

Cup Boiler ...

Something that Father Christmas can bring for you?

There was a thread on flasks for tea. ‘Vacuum Flask recommendation for tea’.

As mentioned in the thread, made up tea in a flask doesn’t keep well.

Take boiling water in a flask and have a little one person stainless steel tea pot in your desk.

T2 sells flasks with a tea infuser that can be removed to stop tea stewing.

As others have mentioned, cup boilers will be banned, PAT and all that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 9th December 2019 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I bought one of these...184033624817...as it was cheap and relatively powerful (600 W or so they say). All I can say is that it works, the only drawback being that it's fitted with a US type flat pin plug, but that's nothing an adapter cannot get round. The same supplier lists a similar 500 W version...183903183867...that has a different coil shape.

PS Make sure that the adapter can cope with at least 5 Amps (shaver adapters look the part but are generally fused at 1A).
    Haven’t looked, but are they CE marked?

[looked now - rated for 220v only. Not CE, his employer ain’t gonna like that. Also possibility of bare element burns. - suggest that item isn’t an option]
    Last edited by blackal; 9th December 2019 at 09:56.

I’d make a point of asking in the canteen/coffee shop for boiling water in my up. Pretty ridiculous that there’s no kitchen/ette in this day and age.

While I agree with the comments about PAT testing, H&S etc, I cannot go along with suggestions to use flask warm water for making tea. Coffee wouldn't suffer too much, but I firmly believe that black teas need boiling water. Now if the OP likes green tea then a flask may be an option.

Otherwise, hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    The restaurant/coffee shop should provide a cup of hot water for free, especially if you take your own cup.
    ...if they will pour boiling water onto the tea leaves or teabag.

When I was in an office that banned kettles etc they provided vending machines from which the only palatable beverage was the hot chocolate. Fortunately they also provided a small kitchen with a sink, fridge and, most importantly, a hot water supply that heated the water on demand...almost to boiling point. That is when I took to drinking green tea.

As has been pointed out, cup boilers bring with them risks somewhat comparable to a cross between a hotplate and a soldering iron. If discovered the employer is likely to frown upon its use...quite strongly.

Agree with others here. Cup boilers haven't been banned because they were never considered. Don't think you'll get away with it for long!

How about a camping stove?

A naked flame in the office? Why didn’t I think of that sooner?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Who remembers this?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Haven’t looked, but are they CE marked?

[looked now - rated for 220v only. Not CE, his employer ain’t gonna like that. Also possibility of bare element burns. - suggest that item isn’t an option]
    Not CE marked, but mine does bear a CCC mark...link.

As for it being rated at 220 V, as it's a resistive appliance I'm not too worried. Either the temperature handling and insulation characteristics are sufficient for the purpose or they aren't. I've had no problems so far, but I do run mine mostly at lower voltages (or at least clipped / regulated from one of these...283229605979 ).

Oh...yes, I do remember the tea lady with her trolley and was around when her services were withdrawn. Thus I've run the entire gamut of tea boat, tea lady, individual kettles and coffee machines to open plan with kitchen and vending machine (see above).
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th December 2019 at 12:18.

Not CE marked, but mine does bear a CCC mark...link.

As for it being rated at 220 V, as it's a resistive appliance I'm not too worried. Either the temperature handling and insulation characteristics are sufficient for the purpose or they aren't. I've had no problems so far, but I do run mine mostly at lower voltages (or at least clipped / regulated from one of these...283229605979 ).
    Can't see any of that holding much sway with the employer, TBH. I wouldn't be worried about the voltage disparity either, but - simple fact...... It is not rated for UK voltage.

If you have your own workstation (desk - in old money)

Tell your employer you want to place one of these on it (against wall if possible). Ask him to confirm they have no issue with it. (You could even double-sided tape it to the desk or velcro)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Ho...5899479&sr=8-3

safer than a kettle, and probably more aesthetically pleasing.

I liked the look of that Breville HotCup until I read that it dispenses a fixed volume (link). Never mind...Breville do another version with a variable output...the VKJ318. I found the latter in a comparative review...link.

I wish the OP the best of luck with getting one approved for in office use. In my experience, once the bureaucrats have had their say, they've invested in hosting an outside company and are (presumably) seeing some return from their operation, anything that doesn't conform to that 'business plan' will come a cropper.

Blog Entries
    I liked the look of that Breville HotCup until I read that it dispenses a fixed volume (link). Never mind...Breville do another version with a variable output...the VKJ318. I found the latter in a comparative review...link.

I wish the OP the best of luck with getting one approved for in office use. In my experience, once the bureaucrats have had their say, they've invested in hosting an outside company and are (presumably) seeing some return from their operation, anything that doesn't conform to that 'business plan' will come a cropper.
    We have the variable version and find it excellent for a quick cup of coffee however if you are a tea drinker we find you need a proper kettle to get the right tempeture.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE