closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woe is Me!

Master

Woe is Me!

Disaster stuck on Friday PM. Spilt a glass of white wine on my macbook on Friday and it's dead.
    Can't power it on. Connecting it to the charger the 'charging' light is not coming on.
    Is there any way of accessing my data. I normally back up every month or so - I don't need to do it more frequently than once a month.
    I've given it 6 days in the hope it will dry out and come to life.
    Went to the Apple shop their suggestion was to replace the motherboard and SDD - in effect a new laptop for £ 800!
    It is a mid 2013 MacBook Pro. I believe 2013 onward all parts are soldered on to the motherboard and can to be removed. I did see a video on youtube which says although it is soldered on it can still be removed?
    Any ideas? Any help appreciated.

Journeyman
    Stick it in a box of rice for a week 👍

At least it was only white wine wasted and not a decent red

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    At least it was only white wine wasted and not a decent red
    It cost me £ 7 so not vin du plonk! I suppose that's a positive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cessna152 View Post
    Stick it in a box of rice for a week 
    Wife absolutely forbade me to do that!

Oh dear. Water? Okay, it'll dry. Wine is sticky and doesn't dry so fast meaning a touch more corrosion depending on how deep it's penetrated. I'm anti-Apple, but even I'd suggest you nip the machine along to your local store and see if they can transfer your (unbacked up data!!!!) to an external drive. Then you can deal with the machine itself.

Ouch! Homebase sells moisture absorbing thingies for a fiver, just buy one of those and freezer double zip plastic bags. Should help to dry it much better than rice.
    Last edited by VDG; 29th November 2018 at 23:25.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I think the current replies are missing the key point that this happened 6 days ago! The main problem is that wine will be sticky due to the sugars. Water then rice and an airing cupboard might work if you had done it right away. Now you might find somewhere that can get the data off. Maybe some switch cleaner or isopropanol might clean out some of the gunk. I guess you have nothing to lose by trying now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Oh dear. Water? Okay, it'll dry. Wine is sticky and doesn't dry so fast meaning a touch more corrosion depending on how deep it's penetrated. I'm anti-Apple, but even I'd suggest you nip the machine along to your local store and see if they can transfer your (unbacked up data!!!!) to an external drive. Then you can deal with the machine itself.
    Can't turn the machine on! All the Apple store want/are interested in is to do is change the keyboard and motherboard!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Ouch! Homebase sells moisture absorbing thingies for a fiver, just buy one of those and freezer double zip plastic bags. Should help to try it much better than rice.
    Thanks for the tip, do you have a link. Won't be able to till Saturday.
    It is out of warranty so I may ask my local computer repair guy to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Can't turn the machine on! All the Apple store want/are interested in is to do is change the keyboard and motherboard!

Thanks for the tip, do you have a link. Won't be able to till Saturday.
    It is out of warranty so I may ask my local computer repair guy to have a look.
    I have one of each in my cars to reduce condensation in the winter

https://www.homebase.co.uk/kontrol-s...e-trap_p307177
    more moisture absorbant stuff here
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...directFrom=Any
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    Im pretty sure the SSD is socketed in these models, so worst case if you cant resurrect the machine, data recovery should be quite straight forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have one of each in my cars to reduce condensation in the winter

https://www.homebase.co.uk/kontrol-s...e-trap_p307177
    more moisture absorbant stuff here
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...directFrom=Any
    I actually have something like this I use in the car. Essentially box full of the absorbing crystals once the turn pink you connect em to mails and wait till they turn white and reuse!

Quote Originally Posted by sweegie View Post
    Im pretty sure the SSD is socketed in these models, so worst case if you cant resurrect the machine, data recovery should be quite straight forward.

That is what I gathered after reading online, I hope it works & I can find someone to do it for me.. I have my audit and a few other things will will be time consuming to do again.

To all who replied Thanks!
    Fingers crossed!

Craftsman
    I’ve replaced the Hard drive in one of these, it’s not soldered on, just fixed in well, so getting the data off, even if the motherboard is borked, should be really straight forward for your local handy IT shop.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/23431

All else fails, you open it up, spray liberally with 409, then dry it with a rented 1600 CFM shop blower!

After trying this, there's no use trying anything else!

I can look at recovering your data. I have a number of data recovery applications which I use for clients across a variety of formats. PM me if you want to chat about options.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    For less than £800 you could probably buy a used donor. Pull the drive from yours and plug it into the donor machine. ( or even just boot the new machine from your old drive in an external caddy and redeploy it).

Its likely that you fried something when the spill happened although they are fairly robust in this regard.

Dismantling the macbook and giving it a good cleaning with some isopropyl alcohol will force out any remaining moisture and ungum any shorts.

If nothing was damaged and the machine shutdown in time its probably going to fire back up.

Assuming you can get the main board out of the case, wash it in 60c deionised water then dry it with a warm hairdryer. I have this at work on an industrial scale for cleaning electronics, I once did this at home for a neighbour with a water pik.

as you have no power light you might want to look for internal fuses, there may be self resetting fuses that will sort themselves out once it is clean. I would expect the wine to be fairly acidic so shouldn't hurt the electronics. if it was alkali you would get dendritic growth everywhere and it would not be worth fixing.

Pour some red wine on it.
    It will neutralise the white.

Master

Thank you all!

My thanks to everyone who replied, I knew I could count on TZ-UK!

@tobetobes, that's what I'm hoping for. Ordered a set of screwdriver for Mac!

@Mr.D I always thought laptops were more robust than this. I spilt beer on a Sony laptop- not a small amount and did exactly what I've done now.
    the keys were sticky for months but it recovered and I used it for 2 more years. I always thought Macbooks were more robust. Have bought the tools to dismantle it-what have I got to lose except data! Will keep you posted. Most likely will be asking the forum for advice. Can I use cask strength whisky instead of isopropyl alcohol? Just asking!

@adrianw Have no idea laptops had self setting fuses! Will have to look for deionised water - is it what they use for batteries? Can I mix cask strength whisky and de-ionised water?

@Ventura I didn't know you could buy that, Thanks for that. Most YouTube videos showed a self made kit.

@sish101 Thank you for your offer. I must let you know I've only one kidney! Jokes apart, thank you for your offer. I'll try to solve it locally. If not will PM you.

Master
    Funnily enough my usual general purpose cleaning fluid is about 50% IPA ( 95% solution) , 50% cheap vodka ( usually free in the exec lounge) and a drop of washing up liquid.

This works on everything from screens , glasses to electronics and dries off fast.

Master
    Dismantle enough to get the drive out only and then recover using another machine. ( you could probably but the same model used for £250 -£300). Or even a 15.

That should be quite easy.

Full cleaning will probably require a more extensive tear down and these models are a bit long winded to take down to the mainboard and keyboard areas.

You might want to consider replacing the battery ( if its no longer good) with an ifixit kit at the same time ( its not simple but its not that difficult). About £80 including tools.

Do this at your leisure and if you can’t get the original machine working you can probably sell for spares on ebay for £100 even non working. The screen and even the keys are sought after as spares.

If you can get it working , keep it or put it on ebay to recoup your clone machine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Ventura, a quick question, do I need the power supply for this? I thought SSD will not require a power supply. Am I just looking for a USB to SATA adapter?

Master

Ventura, a quick question, do I need the power supply for this? I thought SSD will not require a power supply. Am I just looking for a USB to SATA adapter?
    I believe you're right. For SSD you don't, but when I was looking it was for a standard 3.5". There are other cheaper ones available, but they aren't as well reviewed, and this can be used not just for SSD.

Master
    I believe you're right. For SSD you don't, but when I was looking it was for a standard 3.5". There are other cheaper ones available, but they aren't as well reviewed, and this can be used not just for SSD.
    That's what I thought. Thanks for your help. I have ordered one! Managed to open the MacBook not much damage visible on the underside. My guess is most of the damage is between the motherboard and the keypad. Fingers crossed the SSD should be OK.

Master
    Says that 2.5inch drives are fine without the power supply but its required for 3.5 inch drives. The drive in the macbook is probably 2.5 inch I’d suspect.

Its a good idea to have the power supply available just in case the ysb ports don’t give you enough juice. Mine powers external hdd drives ( non ssd ) no problem over usb ports.

Master

This what the inside looks like. The SDD is on the top left. That's what the videos on You Tube show! I'm hoping what Ventura has suggested will fit!
    Last edited by 72bpm; 2nd December 2018 at 12:55.

Master

Uh Oh!

I think I have the wrong adapter! Anyone has any idea which is the right one?

You need an adapter to fit one of these by the look of it. They are listed as a JetDrive. I'll see if I can find what you need.

Yes, I didn't realise, as never used Apple products before, that their connections were different, even for SSD. Sorry about that. I presumed, incorrectly, that they used the same as everyone else.
    Last edited by Ventura; 2nd December 2018 at 17:28.

Journeyman
    Aah, it looks like that adapter is for standard 2.5" laptop drives, instead of these SSD 'sticks'... And I'm not entirely convinced that SSD is quite a standard interface! Normally these M.2 form factor devices either have a SATA interface, with 2 cutout keys on the device for locating, or an NVMe interface with 1 cutout key offset heavily to one side.

From the photo, it looks like this has 1 cutout in the middle!!

Have a read of this and see if it helps? Also, post a high res photo of the interface and I'll try and assist further.

https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-pro...s-and-upgrades

Cheers

Journeyman
    This may help...Obviously check out the pin arrangements fist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSD-to-SA...kAAOSwstxVOqGX

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweegie View Post
    Aah, it looks like that adapter is for standard 2.5" laptop drives, instead of these SSD 'sticks'... And I'm not entirely convinced that SSD is quite a standard interface! Normally these M.2 form factor devices either have a SATA interface, with 2 cutout keys on the device for locating, or an NVMe interface with 1 cutout key offset heavily to one side.

From the photo, it looks like this has 1 cutout in the middle!!

Have a read of this and see if it helps? Also, post a high res photo of the interface and I'll try and assist further.

https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-pro...s-and-upgrades

Cheers
    Thanks for the link, it was useful. You are right, they are not standard interface. Apple (pox on them) changed to new interface in 2010. Mine is the Gen 3 one. I'm attaching slightly better images of the interface.

Last edited by 72bpm; 2nd December 2018 at 21:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    You need an adapter to fit one of these by the look of it. They are listed as a JetDrive. I'll see if I can find what you need.

It is exactly like this
    I've posted better pictures.

Master
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSD-to-SA....c100010.m2109

This looks like the right one. Once I've inserted the SSD how do I connect it to my laptop?

Master

Aaargh!

The saga continues. The adapter I thought will fit has arrived. The macBook SSD fits well but now it looks like this

It this a more common one? Is it possible to get something to connect this via USB?

Typical Apple. Great for security but frustrating if anything goes wrong aswell as having to buy proprietary stuff.

Master
    Typical Apple. Great for security but frustrating if anything goes wrong aswell as having to buy proprietary stuff.
    Tell me about it! I still haven't figured out how to connect the whole damn thing to a USB port. Looking online t for alternatives.

http://eshop.sintech.cn/20132015-macbook-a1465-1466-a1398-a1502-ssd-usb-30-external-ca-p-1208.html

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/?utm_source=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj&cjevent=f71a 71a7f7ec11e8835000b70a18050f
    These 2 seem like reasonable alternatives. The first one may be a dodgy front company for a scamming site, it comes up as non secure website.

Have looked at
    amazon as well.

Master
    That's how my SSD looks like. I thought `the one I ordered should make it more 'generic'.
    Just stumbled on this one, sounds promising

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pin-28pin-A...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Yes I saw those and on eBay. Thought you were on a budget and felt bad you've wasted money so far, partly due to my error from lack of knowledge on Apple products. ☹️

Master
    Yes I saw those and on eBay. Thought you were on a budget and felt bad you've wasted money so far, partly due to my error from lack of knowledge on Apple products. ☹️
    Not at all. I can always return it. I have a reasonable budget to be honest. It is the lack of clarity that's frustrating me. Thanks for your help anyway.

If budget is okay then those look cool. When I was searching after the wrong SSD thing it seems Apple changes layout yearly so it's MacBook Pro 2013 SSD to usb.

Master
    If budget is okay then those look cool. When I was searching after the wrong SSD thing it seems Apple changes layout yearly so it's MacBook Pro 2013 SSD to usb.
    What are your thoughts on this one? Looks like it will be compatible. If you looks the 5th photo it does look like I might be able to fit my SSD with the adapter?

Journeyman
    Looks like you need an NVMe to USB adapter now....

How valuable is data on that MB? If it is, IMO the best chance to recover it and ensure uninterrupted workflow/business continuity is to get Apple involved notwithstanding that you've opened the thing. Give them a call or pop in to have a chat, it may be less expensive to repair it than you think, or if worst come to the würst buy a refurb one and ask them to migrate data on to it or to a back up drive.

If you have a contents insurance you will be able to claim under accidental damage, just beae in mind that your oremium will go up next year somewhat.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

What is the specific model of MacBook Pro? In 2013 there were the following models:

• 13” Retina MacBook Pro 10.2 (Late 2012-Early 2013)
    • 13” Retina MacBook Pro 11.1 (Late 2013-Early 2015)
    • 15” Retina MacBook Pro 10.1 (Late 2012-Early 2013)
    • 15” Retina MacBook Pro 11.2 (Late 2013-Mid 2015)

The earlier models use a different SSD from the later ones. You can buy replacement SSDs with enclosures from Transcend. The details are on their website here:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-850

I can’t find the enclosure on sale separately. I have a Transcend JetDrive 725 in my Mid 2012 retina 15” when I upgraded the storage.

OWC also make a similar kit called the Envoy Pro. Again the kit is model specific. They do sell enclosures on their own which are also model specific:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCIO/
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

Finally the SSDs in MacBooks do not use the same connector as M.2 SSDs.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 4th December 2018 at 22:51.

Master
    How valuable is data on that MB? If it is, IMO the best chance to recover it and ensure uninterrupted workflow/business continuity is to get Apple involved notwithstanding that you've opened the thing. Give them a call or pop in to have a chat, it may be less expensive to repair it than you think, or if worst come to the würst buy a refurb one and ask them to migrate data on to it or to a back up drive.

If you have a contents insurance you will be able to claim under accidental damage, just beae in mind that your oremium will go up next year somewhat.
    Monetary value '0'. Effort value a lot. Nothing I can't replace with a lot effort! I did go to the apple shop, all they were able to offer was a change of components, in effect the old body with new parts.

I'm thinking about getting one off eBay and attaching my old SSD to it. I don't think that has failed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    What is the specific model of MacBook Pro? In 2013 there were the following models:

• 13” Retina MacBook Pro 10.2 (Late 2012-Early 2013)
    • 13” Retina MacBook Pro 11.1 (Late 2013-Early 2015)
    • 15” Retina MacBook Pro 10.1 (Late 2012-Early 2013)
    • 15” Retina MacBook Pro 11.2 (Late 2013-Mid 2015)

The earlier models use a different SSD from the later ones. You can buy replacement SSDs with enclosures from Transcend. The details are on their website here:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-850

I can’t find the enclosure on sale separately. I have a Transcend JetDrive 725 in my Mid 2012 retina 15” when I upgraded the storage.

OWC also make a similar kit called the Envoy Pro. Again the kit is model specific. They do sell enclosures on their own which are also model specific:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCIO/
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

Finally the SSDs in MacBooks do not use the same connector as M.2 SSDs.
    Hello Phil, mine is a Mid 2013 US model, it says A1502 on the back.
    I chanced upon the Transcend in my search, but as you said they don't do enclosures alone. I've had a look at OWC as well. I have ordered one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pin-28pin-A.../dp/B014FTKOWA
    Should get it in couple of days. If it works - I'm hoping it will all should be fine otherwise will have a look at OWC. If all else fails I'll be forced to go back to Apple!
    Thanks for your help.

Master
    I was just thinking about your next challange

What are you going to connect the drive up to when the enclosure comes, another mac or pc?
    What version of OS X was the damaged Mac on and what version of os are you going to connect it too?