closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch brand you just "don't get"?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Ball. Never seen one I'd wear. And their model names are just weird; Fireman and infamous Ball Skin Diver.

H Moser and Cie. Every one I've ever seen looks like it cost £89 from Argos.
    Just spilt my coffee reading that!

Breitling unfortunately for me in terms of not being of interest.

Master
    I too have a lack of love for IWC. In common with others, I can recognise the virtue of many of their watches, just don't desire to own any. Don't know why.

Marcello C I won't buy as it sounds like a hairdresser, or a 90s Italian piano house music outfit.

Other manufacturers I can dislike specific models, but not the whole maker.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I can't say Rolex because I do "get" them, although I don't want one.

I think you kind of missed the question, there......................

U Boat.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think you kind of missed the question, there......................
    I’ll check with the OP shall I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I was born my dad bought a Sub brand new. 1966 I think. He loved it. But he sold it about 2005 because he got sick to death of the endless attention it generated when he wore it (which of course is why so many people buy them). Wears a CWC G10 quartz now.

Haha - I can relate to that (except I never owned a sub)!

Craftsman
    Maybe not so much make but if they have diamonds in the watch , and coloured ones ............ OMG.

Hublot do seem to have a real love / hate relationship going as well. Mainly the latter .

https://youtu.be/jPn_SYRP3rE

Breitling, Panerai and Hublot. Some APs as well. I like the slim RO, but some of the chunkier divers that look like they have rubber washers around the crown - sorry.

Panerai - Big ugly looking things
    Rolex - Mostly bland designs just hyped with good marketing - tbf Rolex are genius for what they have created with hardly any development in the last 50 years
    Patek - A family member has a few, if you did not know anything about watches you would think its a £100 watch (its a calatrava), the dial looks so cheap its just awful

Watch brand you just "don't get"?

Tag Heuer for the last 25 years.
    I don’t get them. Such a wide range of things that do not look particularly good.
    No idea what the brand is trying to do.

Longines. Probably decent kit, but do nothing for me.

Richard Mille. What even is this?

Chopard. Did they used to make jewellery or perfume? Nothing.

U-boat. This has to be a joke?

I am a Seiko fanboy but lots of their ranges and aesthetic language just makes me scratch my head.

Moser and that Japanese one, with the plain enamel dials - I am properly lost at the fuss all about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 19th January 2022 at 11:31.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Mine is completely illogical but I can't help it. I just can't take to any make where the brand name consists of a person's name (both christian and surname). Patek Philipe, Christopher Ward, Richard Mille etc etc.
    When I see them, I just think "shopping channel". As I said, completely illogical, but it is what it is.
    Patek Philippe is 2 surnames from 2 different people, Antoine Norbert De Patek and Jean Adrien Philippe.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Patek Philippe is 2 surnames from 2 different people, Antoine Norbert De Patek and Jean Adrien Philippe.
    Didn't know that thanks.

The list is long but distinguished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Mine is completely illogical but I can't help it. I just can't take to any make where the brand name consists of a person's name (both christian and surname). Patek Philipe, Christopher Ward, Richard Mille etc etc.
    When I see them, I just think "shopping channel". As I said, completely illogical, but it is what it is.
    Please don't Google the insanely-expensive Cecil Purnell watches. I think they've rebranded to simply 'Purnell' to have more appeal specifically to you!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Please don't Google the insanely-expensive Cecil Purnell watches. I think they've rebranded to simply 'Purnell' to have more appeal specifically to you!
    Blimey they are expensive, haven't looked at a picture in case the new branding sways me ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think my worst "dont get" has to be Steinhart as it crosses into active dislike.

Others - Seestern, Helson, Konstantin Chaykin, Romain Jerome, Ball, Bremont, Chr Ward, Graff, Harry Winston.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Pat and Phil watch company

Modern Rolex: very well made, I’m sure but miles away from the rugged tool watches they are famed for. It’s all polished center links and shiny bezels on slightly over-sized watches. They’ve lost their way, regardless of any pricing and market pressures

Moser: I don’t understand the hype. They all look pretty ugly to me, though I respect their technical merit

Panerai: genuinely don’t understand why you would want an enormous piece of steampunk costume jewellery on your arm. They’re trapped in a very distinctive design aesthetic which has had its time.

Citizen: Similar to Panerai: Giant, over designed, 90s inspired dive watches and very bland, pretty expensive HAQ dress watches. They don’t get that much hype but when they do, I don’t get it.

To keep it within the OP question, I don’t hate any of them, just don’t get why people love them. I think my theme is I don’t get massive shouty watches. There’s quite a few others.

Journeyman
    Hublot
    Breitling

Apprentice
    No brand imparticular but don't like 'Iced Out' watches, totally unnecessary in my opinion

Journeyman
    I agree with some of the already mentioned, but I've got to put in my potentially controversial entry. Here goes...

Casio.

I'm shopping for a garage/building work beater watch and a g-shock would be perfect, so I've tried so hard to 'see the light', but I just don't like any of them. Most are too large, and the smaller ones just do nothing for me. Why anyone over the age of 16 likes those Mudmasters is beyond me. They look like a transformer toy

Master
    I can't say Rolex because I do "get" them, although I don't want one. Sold my last years ago. Agree massively over-priced but the reason for that is the reason I don't want one - they are sold in the main to people who want to be seen wearing a Rolex (honourable exceptions to many on here). They're status symbols recognised by the average non-watch-fan as very expensive watches, and that's why so many people buy them (again, not all, before anyone gets furious) over comparable brands. It's the one watch brand I was always uncomfortable wearing because I always felt like I looked like I was showing off. Easy to say "Your problem" but that's how it was. My last was a GMT which I determined to sell after a bloke in the buffet car of the Paddington to Didcot express - a bloke with a nasty suit and those very long pointy shoes which curl up at the end because he doesn't know what a shoe tree is - felt empowered to tap me on the shoulder and ask" 'Ere, is that real then or what?". I knew it had to go. Never had another.
    Can't argue with any of this. This has been the Rolex USP for years. Of course, all us TZ'ers know that Rolex make exceptionally good watches whether you like them or not but the 'average' Joe sees it, for the most part, as a purely aspirational brand.

My two teenage nephews will fawn all over my 16600 but will not bat an eyelid over my Speedmaster, '68 Seamaster 300, even my last-gen OP36. One of them thinks my SD looks like a Daytona ! (seemingly, THE aspirational Rolex).

Of the brands I just don't get:- Hublot (handed out like sweets to footballers), Jacob & Co., Maurice Lacroix, Graham, Franck Muller, RM to name but a few.

While some brands do not generally appeal on the basis of their marketing and advertising, for example Bremont, "even" they produce some watches that I like, for example the MB2. Brands I do generally like, for example Rolex - on the basis of their products not their release policies - produce watches which leave me cold, for example the Daytona.

So in the same way that not all Germans are humourless and not all Mexicans are not lazy or feckless, I prefer to evaluate watches on their individual attributes.

G-shock.

I appreciate that they are pretty good if you are in the army or into extreme sports but to wear a gigantic plastic watch that looks a kids toy for pleasure is beyond me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    G-shock.

I appreciate that they are pretty good if you are in the army or into extreme sports but to wear a gigantic plastic watch that looks a kids toy for pleasure is beyond me.
    You’ll scores of little G-Shocks on deployed wrists but none of the big ones. Except perhaps the odd TA.

I don't understand how some companies can produce so many different watch designs and yet there isn't a single one I would ever consider wearing. Not even talking about the obvious big money watches like Hublot or Richard Mille, I think the main object of my ire is Oris. I hate every single one of their designs. Not just slightly dislike, I really hate them. My dad has, but never wears, an Oris TT1 from around 2000? and I think it might be the ugliest mass produced watch I've ever seen.

Journeyman
    Omega.

When at school I read that Omega had paid for product placement in James Bond films. I thought that they mustn't be much good if they have to pay to be worn instead of the previous brand being placed for free. Haven't been able to shake that off since.

Quote Originally Posted by nmbnmb View Post
    Omega.

When at school I read that Omega had paid for product placement in James Bond films. I thought that they mustn't be much good if they have to pay to be worn instead of the previous brand being placed for free. Haven't been able to shake that off since.
    You think Seiko weren't paying? Hang on, no, did Bond wear a Rolex again in Licence to Kill and Living Daylights?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    You think Seiko weren't paying? Hang on, no, did Bond wear a Rolex again in Licence to Kill and Living Daylights?
    Don't think Rolex paid to be in the books.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbnmb View Post
    Don't think Rolex paid to be in the books.
    Well played sir.

Top one for me is Rolex; I absolutely understand the quality and the heritage, I get why people love them, but I have never seen one that I want, either vintage or modern. They just… Leave me cold, for some reason. So not an active “dislike” by any means, but I really don’t get them.

Grand Seiko - their watches just remind me of the Seiko 5, they do nothing for me…..but wouldn’t do for us all to like the same things.

Craftsman
    89% of the Rolex brand.

Cyclops, it just looks ugly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    All Seiko - do nothing for me.
    Not a popular opinion but one I second! I know the old SKXs were a forum fav but having tried a couple i cannot understand the appeal. With the price some Seiko models are now, I can see better places to spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    89% of the Rolex brand.

Cyclops, it just looks ugly.
    How old are you?

For a lot of us - it was (at the time) an elegant solution to making the date more readable, but I appreciate that it has diminished in relevance over decades.

Now for Rolex - it is perhaps 'traditional' rather than aesthetic, which won't appeal to all.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    Not a popular opinion but one I second! I know the old SKXs were a forum fav but having tried a couple i cannot understand the appeal. With the price some Seiko models are now, I can see better places to spend the money.
    The famous Seiko SKX, bracelet made out of a Kit Kat wrapper, accuracy all over the place and the Citizen equivalent was half the price (before anyone starts I paid £60 for the Citizen automatic at the time the Seiko was £120. Orient Mako was £55 on a rubber strap)

I never really did "get" Panerai. I understand and appreciate the heritage, but the watches themselves do absolutely nothing for me.

Hublot, Graham, Jacob are another bunch of manufacturers which do zip for me; they fall into the "fashion watch" category for me.

Great question BTW OP. It really highlights the "one man's meat..." element of watch collecting. Which is part of the pleasure imo.

A

Master
    Main one for me is Romain Jerome. I simply cannot fathom why anyone thinks it is a reasonable, sensible or an appropriate idea to purchase a watch with a bit of the Titanic in it? Really??? Shall we have a RJ General Belgrano and Lusitania to complete a special trio? Is that something you actually want to wear or spend money on?

Do I really want to spend thousands of pounds on a watch with the Spiderman logo, Hello Kitty or space invaders on the dial never mind the above? What on earth are they thinking? Even if they are an excellent watchmaker, why add this rubbish onto their watches, makes no sense to me.

I prefer talking about the watches/brands I ‘do get’. And there are plenty of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Rolex. Totally overpriced.
    I’m a Rolex fanboy and even I agree! And that’s at list prices!!

Breitling - just don't get the modern stuff, especially that weird Breitling for Bentley range

Longines - never seen one I'd buy and don't get the brand

Cartier - to me, pure jewellery not watchmaking which makes sense for women's watches but I don't get the mens watches (even though my dad had one)

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Longines - never seen one I'd buy and don't get the brand
    A brand I always associated as old mens dress watches, but I’d have this 77 year old beauty in a heartbeat.

Craftsman
    Seiko - with a caveat.

High street Seiko watches are numerous, varied and interesting.

What I don't get is the higher end market. No matter how someone tries to convince me that they have lovely swirlies all over the movement and everything's well finished etc, I just can't understand the love for the higher priced models when they have similar looking watches at reasonable quality, in their lower ranges .

My eyes always see "bog standard," especially with their dive watches. And that's harsh, because I have barely heard a bad word about them, but there you are.

On the other hand, I have several Seikos in the £hundreds price range, which to me are fine, and I think that's where they should be at.

McManus
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    McManus
    Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Mick?
    John
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Hublot for me. I don’t get the design language. Looks like an AP offshore from afar but none of the finesse up close.

Craftsman

Cartier - to me, pure jewellery not watchmaking which makes sense for women's watches but I don't get the mens watches (even though my dad had one)

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Cartier not watch making?

Craftsman

Watch brand you just "don't get"?

How old are you?

For a lot of us - it was (at the time) an elegant solution to making the date more readable, but I appreciate that it has diminished in relevance over decades.

Now for Rolex - it is perhaps 'traditional' rather than aesthetic, which won't appeal to all.
    How old are you?

I know some people love it, for me it's ghastly, just imagine the skydweller without it.
    But then again I like the milgauss over the rest so that says alot.

Quote Originally Posted by alzone View Post
    I agree with some of the already mentioned, but I've got to put in my potentially controversial entry. Here goes...

Casio.

I'm shopping for a garage/building work beater watch and a g-shock would be perfect, so I've tried so hard to 'see the light', but I just don't like any of them. Most are too large, and the smaller ones just do nothing for me. Why anyone over the age of 16 likes those Mudmasters is beyond me. They look like a transformer toy
    Check out a square. The pics may not take you, but they just feel right on the wrist. Stick a metal bezel on (or buy a fancy metal one) and you're golden

I think you need to check the history books on that one!