closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I know English isn't your first language and all English films and tv series are dubbed in German so it's hard to learn but surely by now you would have grasped the language to an extent allowing you to ad 1 + 1 and end up with 2? Unless, you really are this special Raffe?

PS isht, I forgot to add the refresher bit. But it would have been lost on you anyway haha.
    Personal vendetta/insults and stalking aside, why are you splitting hairs over a subject that has been debated many times?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    why are you splitting hairs over a subject that has been debated many times?
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that Raffe is such a popular object of discussion on this forum. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I must add.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that Raffe is such a popular object of discussion on this forum. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I must add.
    Evidenced my point to perfection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Evidenced my point to perfection.
    Sorry, I had to, you know I had to. Personally I'm the last to take a jab, unless receiving an uncalled for jab in the first place, then all bets are off.

Sorry, I had to, you know I had to. Personally I'm the last to take a jab, unless receiving an uncalled for jab in the first place, then all bets are off.
    Bets off or not, you have amply demonstrated that you do not understand the issue.

The question from Neil was:

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    If I purchase at T5 on a long haul flight then the watch is discounted but still shows vat on reciept, therefore no vat to pay on return ?? only import duty ??
    Upon which I replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Neither VAT nor import duty. You bought a discounted watch and that is the end of it.
    Which is 100% correct, as it's exactly what cmcm3 has done:

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    All I can say is that in my experience with Rolex T5 you get a discount equivalent to Vat if you are flying ex-EU and returning to the UK, and bugger-all if you are flying within the EU. That experience does extend to the purchase of 3 watches over a c.18 month period and most recently being a fortnight ago.
    Still, you claim that I haven't understood because English isn't my first language? Now, please explain which part of it I got wrong?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I haven't read the whole thread as it is very long, and a lot is irrelevant by the looks of it, but surely in Heathrow the NET price is always the NET price and that is what the retailer would declare in their SALES numbers.

If you are flying within the EU, you must also pay the VAT on top. e.g. £100 + £20 = £120

If you are flying out of EU, you do not pay the VAT. e.g. £100 + £0 = £100

There is no 'discount' in either of the above. You just save the VAT if flying out of EU. It surely is as simple as that is it not!?

In both examples above, the retailer declares £100 sales in their books (of course in example 1, HMRC get their £20 paid to them by the retailer!)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread as it is very long, and a lot is irrelevant by the looks of it, but surely in Heathrow the NET price is always the NET price and that is what the retailer would declare in their SALES numbers.

If you are flying within the EU, you must also pay the VAT on top. e.g. £100 + £20 = £120

If you are flying out of EU, you do not pay the VAT. e.g. £100 + £0 = £100

There is no 'discount' in either of the above. You just save the VAT if flying out of EU. It surely is as simple as that is it not!?

In both examples above, the retailer declares £100 sales in their books (of course in example 1, HMRC get their £20 paid to them by the retailer!)
    This thread is specifically talking about one airport where they do things different to that.

Master
    Except you were the first to take a jab in this instance, with this waffle in response to a reply that wasn't even aimed at you.

Don't worry Raffe, it's not your fault. It wasn't the first time, it won't be the last time. As Bruno sings "That's just the way you are".

See, I told you it wouldn't be the last time. Again, since you're slow on the uptake: if you buy from T5 or any Heathrow terminal there are no discounts, you pay the full price. Unless you travel ex EU when you get full VAT deduction. But if you buy at Schipol (since this is a thread about Schipol) you are getting a discount which equals to VAT even if you fly within EU.
    You appear to have some sort of historical issue with another member so take it to the Bear Pit, or just quit it all together. It's Watch Talk.

Craftsman
    Still, you claim that I haven't understood because English isn't my first language? Now, please explain which part of it I got wrong?
    The "discount equivalent to VAT" is the VAT numbnuts, they don't give you a discount but rather automatically remove VAT of your receipt if you fly externally after they've scanned your boarding pass. I.e. the receipt is going to show net amount so if you comeback you still have to declare it. It's as simple as that.

Whereas Shiphol (if you fly within EU) give you an adjusted net price to account for retail VAT amount, and put VAT on top of that adjusted net. I.e. your receipt shows both net and VAT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This thread is specifically talking about one airport where they do things different to that.
    Is it? See below, which talks about Heathrow and discount...if cmcm3 below is correct and it is actually a 'discount' rather than just not paying the VAT, I would be very keen to know!

Raffe, your confusion is completely understandable. There is so much utter BS spouted in these threads that I even start second guessing myself and checking my purchase receipts! All I can say is that in my experience with Rolex T5 you get a discount equivalent to Vat if you are flying ex-EU and returning to the UK, and bugger-all if you are flying within the EU. That experience does extend to the purchase of 3 watches over a c.18 month period and most recently being a fortnight ago. Those purchases were preceded by some considerable correspondence with Rolex T5 to make sure I understood the situation and didn’t risk getting hit for £8,400 VAT on the way home from Bergen. That’s all I can usefully contribute.

The "discount equivalent to VAT" is the VAT numbnuts, they don't give you a discount but rather automatically remove VAT of your receipt if you fly externally after they've scanned your boarding pass. I.e. the receipt is going to show net amount so if you comeback you still have to declare it. It's as simple as that.

Whereas Shiphol (if you fly within EU) give you an adjusted net price to account for retail VAT amount, and put VAT on top of that adjusted net. I.e. your receipt shows both net and VAT.
    No, it isn't. They give you a discount and show VAT on the receipt. It has been explained by cmcm3 and others, you might want to care to read before you continue to insult other people.

Yes, and what happens when you are flying ex-Eu and buy a watch from T5 is that you pay a discounted price EQUIVALENT to VAT off (ie 16.666666666667% less than high street). But in that discounted price you have paid UK vat and will receive a receipt showing same. These are facts.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Is it? See below, which talks about Heathrow and discount...if cmcm3 below is correct and it is actually a 'discount' rather than just not paying the VAT, I would be very keen to know!
    Using the famous "I have it on very good authority" that they don't "discount VAT" but give you an automatic VAT deduction, therefore the receipt is a net receipt. The easiest would of course be for cmcm3 to scan said receipts showing how the amounts were classified. No need for serial numbers or anything like that.

Craftsman
    No, it isn't. They give you a discount and show VAT on the receipt. It has been explained by cmcm3 and others, you might want to care to read before you continue to insult other people.
    No it isn't, I can give you Rolex T5's phone number if you can't google it yourself.

Master
    Using the famous "I have it on very good authority" that they don't "discount VAT" but give you an automatic VAT deduction, therefore the receipt is a net receipt. The easiest would of course be for cmcm3 to scan said receipts showing how the amounts were classified. No need for serial numbers or anything like that.
    I am sure this will be the case. They would not discount surely. But then this does not agree back to cmcm3's point of not having to worry on return to UK - as he implied that the VAT was paid (I may have misunderstood his post of course)

No it isn't, I can give you Rolex T5's phone number if you can't google it yourself.
    This is really only about your first post in this thread and the subsequent posts - I read nothing of any value and you slinging stuff at another poster.

I don’t know if they would deal with it differently for non-UK domiciles (they do ask to see your passport) .
    Your passport does not necessarily show your country of domicile.
    I have a UK passport but am non-dom UK .

I honestly cannot understand why this is hard for people to grasp.

1) If you fly internally within the EU from ANY/All airport other than Schipol you pay full rolex retail.

2) If you fly internally within the EU from schipol they discount the equivalent of the VAT amount

3) If you fly toanywhere outside the EU from any EU airport you don’t pay the vat element

I’m never coming back to this thread again as the same nonsense is continually getting regurgitated

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post

I’m never coming back to this thread again as the same nonsense is continually getting regurgitated
    You're lucky that you haven't been around long enough to have witnessed the other 53 threads on the subject.
    Last edited by Tony; 22nd February 2018 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yeah but can we still bring in heroin ?
    The trick, apparently, is to hide your new Rolex in a canister of heroin as it puts off the sniffer dogs.

1) If you fly internally within the EU from ANY/All airport other than Schipol you pay full rolex retail.

2) If you fly internally within the EU from schipol they discount the equivalent of the VAT amount

3) If you fly toanywhere outside the EU from any EU airport you don’t pay the vat element

congratulations you are completely right.

I would however add that in respect to 3) the buyer would be subject to any import duties applied by the country they were entering.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

So, how does the whole VAT thing work then?

Ok, not funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Ok, not funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pretty funny. I tittered.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Ok, not funny.
    No, how does the whole import duty thing work, then?

That't super not funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    congratulations you are completely right.

I would however add that in respect to 3) the buyer would be subject to any import duties applied by the country they were entering.
    So if you go on holiday to US, say, you pay their import duties. On returning to UK/Europe do you have to pay again?

Craftsman
    Guys it’s Schiphol, not Schipol

This was interesting though. 5.619 EUR for a 60th Speedy

Apprentice

Batman was there

I have pulled the trigger, I feel on heaven gassan.jpg
    Last edited by Fabiuz84; 8th March 2018 at 09:21.

Master
    That’s a great pickup!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabiuz84 View Post

Master
    Very lucky!

you get the sticker and card with it ?? nice

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a right result.

Master

IMG_3214.JPG

Although confusingly the receipt states EEC, which I don’t think exists anymore.

In terms of what’s shown on the receipt, I have 2 examples. Both were goods bought at Heathrow T5, one to a non EU European country, one to an EU country. Neither itemised VAT, just showing the purchase price, both receipts had the statement shown above, and both were discounted by the amount of VAT.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So if you go on holiday to US, say, you pay their import duties. On returning to UK/Europe do you have to pay again?

Not sure of the question. Are you taking about taking a watch purchased in Amsterdam and then paying duty if you holiday in the US, when you return home?

However just for clarity. if you purchase a watch in the EU you can take it aboard and bring it back again without paying duty. Duty would apply if a) you purchased the watch outside the EU or if you sold the watch whilst on holiday - but then that would be the responsibility of the purchaser.
    Last edited by Andyg; 8th March 2018 at 21:23.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Gefeliciteerd, U hebt gewonnen! :)

Wow, great result for the buyer. Just it just the luck of the draw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not sure of the question. Are you taking about taking a watch purchased in Amsterdam and then paying duty if you holiday in the US, when you return home?

However just for clarity. if you purchase a watch in the EU you can take it aboard and bring it back again without paying duty. Duty would apply if a) you purchased the watch outside the EU or if you sold the watch whilst on holiday - but then that would be the responsibility of the purchaser.
    also due if due bought it at an EU airport, duty free, when travelling to a non EU country.

Craftsman
    Mind if you share the price of the watch please?

Master
    Great result OP. I guess that means by the time I get there next week, all the good stuff will be well gone................

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

My mum flew through Schiphol earlier this week. I sent here photos and names of what to look for: Hulk, Daytona etc. She said nothing there from the list. Just spoke to her and she said “oh but they did have a blue Deepsea”.

So D-Blues also appear there!

Last edited by IdiotAbroad; 11th March 2018 at 16:56.

Master
    Came through on Sunday night and made a bee line for the Rolex shop (not any of the Gassan shops).

I was greeted with a smile and a "hello", followed by some chat in fluent English. The something weird happened. As soon as I asked about SS models and when the next delivery would and when the last one was, it seems I must have lapsed into fluent Swahili, as the guy just shrugged his shoulders. Now I can understand him not know when the next delivery was due but not knowing when the last one was, just seemed a bit odd. Maybe they're just fed up being asked the same question every 10 minutes, they just switch off.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I have some spare time, so I visit a couple of Rolex ADs in the city-centre, not a SS piece to be seen and exactly the same reaction to my question!!

Let's hope by some miracle they might have a delivery tomorrow, when I'm heading back home but hopes aren't high.

Seems like a lot of people are swinging by the Rolex and Gassan outlets in the hope of snagging 'any' of the 'price-premium' Rolex models......

I suspect they do get fed up with that.

They might be more amenable to the customer who asks for a particular model, and that model alone.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Seems like a lot of people are swinging by the Rolex and Gassan outlets in the hope of snagging 'any' of the 'price-premium' Rolex models......

I suspect they do get fed up with that.

They might be more amenable to the customer who asks for a particular model, and that model alone.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Do the people who are spending £5k on a Rolex not care what model they get so long as it is one of the in demand SS sports versions? Seems nuts to me (unless you just want to make a quick buck by selling it on).

Master
    I did ask about a Daytona but the response was exactly the same............

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Do the people who are spending £5k on a Rolex not care what model they get so long as it is one of the in demand SS sports versions? Seems nuts to me (unless you just want to make a quick buck by selling it on).
    They won't be losing at the price they will buy at.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I saw nothing of SS interest on Monday when passing through.

Oh, the Rolex boutique and the Gassan AD are both operated by Gassan, most of the mid range Swiss boutiques Cartier, IWC etc are Gassan afaik

Gents,

Do any of the frequent Schipol-users know if polar ExpII’s are readily/usually available there please?

And can I ring and reserve?

Thanks in advance for your help......

Pretty sure you can’t reserve any watches - that would be a pretty ridiculous situation.

Master
    There have been explorers both 1 and 2 the last couple of times I’ve been through, most recently last week. Not Polar, though, but I have seen them pretty often.

Since I had time to kill, I asked about the steel sports watches at both the boutique and the Rolex store, both owned by Gassan. Both said whoever they do get steel watches in they hardly even make it to the window before they’re sold, so reserving wasn’t possible. But if you call they’ll at least tell you what they have in, worth asking if they would put one by if they have one, but I doubt it - it’s a no win situation for them, if your plans change and you don’t turn up and they’ve missed a subsequent sale. Maybe different if yo7 pay for it, again worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    TMaybe different if yo7 pay for it, again worth asking.
    They would need a boarding pass I imagine, so I doubt they'd take a phone payment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    They would need a boarding pass I imagine, so I doubt they'd take a phone payment.
    good point, well made!