closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's your favourite beat-up watch?

What's your favourite beat-up watch?

This is my Seiko G757-5000 that I bought new from Dixons in the early 80's. I was lucky as I was just browsing and saw the watch sitting on a shelf behind the counter. I asked how much it was but the salesman didn't have a price as it hadn't been ordered in but had arrived with a bunch of other watches that had been ordered. He went and asked the manager if it could be sold and the manager said £26 so I bought it.

It's been through the wars - I was in my early 20's and working on building sites at the time. The plastic horseshoe which said "Silver Wave" on it got a bit gnarly over the years so I took it off and promptly lost it! The only continent it hasn't been to with me is Australia so it's well travelled.

The battery ran out about 6 months ago and I didn't replace it until a few weeks ago. Since the new battery some of the lcd segments have gone missing but all the functions except the light still work. The original rubber strap snapped a long time ago but I think it looks great on the shark mesh. It's been with me nearly 40 years and hopefully it'll hang on until I pop my cogs.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any beaten up watches to show. I do have a G-Shock GW-M5610-1ER I wear for heavy duty work but even that doesn't look beaten. Congratulations keeping yours!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I bought this mainly because it is beat-up. There's just something about a well-used, much-loved Navitimer that attracts me.
    Plus it is larger than the usual Navitimers, so my poor old eyes can actually read it.

My father’s blue-dialled Grand Quartz, now my brother’s, and hopefully some day my nephew’s. The thing’s wrecked but has never been serviced nor missed a beat.

Not exactly beaten up but plenty of battle scars from being worn 24/7 through the years that my life was one constant and amazing rollercoaster ride. It held up pretty well for the hammering it endured, never used to worry about scratching my watch back then. It's certainly more scratched up than you can see here though.

Love that Zepher. Pinless case and what I think must be final development of the sawtooth bezel. Well made for what it as I recall.

This Alpha GMT. Takes abuse and keeps on ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Not exactly beaten up but plenty of battle scars from being worn 24/7 through the years that my life was one constant and amazing rollercoaster ride. It held up pretty well for the hammering it endured, never used to worry about scratching my watch back then. It's certainly more scratched up than you can see here though.

I used to love those Animal watches, but had to settle for an Animal strap on the Casio. Happy times!

This is probably my favourite watch

My DateJust EDC.

Hey Jocke, I remember that old story of that DJ. :D

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Hey Jocke, I remember that old story of that DJ. :D
    Here is how it looks in 2006 when I got it.

Craftsman

Here's mine, I still wear it but not really beaten up to be fair. I bought it back in '95 when I left my job, bought a backpack and traveled around the world. It's seen a few places this watch over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Here's mine, I still wear it but not really beaten up to be fair. I bought it back in '95 when I left my job, bought a backpack and traveled around the world. It's seen a few places this watch over the years.

That's a nice one, I always loved the early models. Think I got mine in '93(was either a birthday or Christmas present and can't tell you how thrilled I was to receive it, was definitely the grail for me at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I used to love those Animal watches, but had to settle for an Animal strap on the Casio. Happy times!
    The straps were a genius idea, such fun choosing straps and the variety was brilliant.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I had an Animal strap on a Seconda, no flashy Casio for all of us ;)

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

I have always considered my Orient Mako as my first foray into this dreadful hobby, but thinking back, I had one of these Animal watches when I was about 10! My parents bought my older brother one, and I kicked up such a fuss, they had to buy me one too. Loved it at the time. I expect it is kicking around in drawer somewhere, I’ll have to dig it out!

As for my most beat up watch, it’s the aforementioned Orient Mako 1. It didn’t leave my wrist for about 2 years, and I have quite a manual job, so it took some licks. It’ll be with me until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I had an Animal strap on a Seconda, no flashy Casio for all of us ;)

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I used to pair animal straps with the plastic cased Tag Heuer F1’s back in the 90’s. I remember the watches were £79 with a fibreglass case, £99 with steel. I had an orange one and a yellow one be I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I have any "beaten up" ones.

I have some vintage models with appropriately aged dials though, like this Zenith from 1952.

Cheers,
    Neil.