closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars must make a noise

Hybrid View

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m actually of the opinion that, other than for the blind, there should be no need for any additional sounds and that people should learn to take responsibility for their own actions and pay attention to what they are doing!

In the meantime, I’m fully aware of the fact that most people are oblivious to their surroundings and therefore take extra care when in car parks or other areas where I’m likely to encounter pedestrians.
    The rights of safety of pedestraians and other less well armoured, less mechanised users of the public space weighs heaviest.
    The default is being a pedestrian and when you decide to use a car, you take responsibility for the potential lethality of it. E-vehjicles being heavier makes them potentially móre lethal and them moving about in stealth mode does not help.

About that paying attention to what you are doing; a large part of the spacial awareness is sound. Cyclist p.e. are not allowed to have music in both ears for the same reason that e-cars should not drive around in stealth mode.

Electric cars must make a noise

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The rights of safety of pedestraians and other less well armoured, less mechanised users of the public space weighs heaviest.
    The default is being a pedestrian and when you decide to use a car, you take responsibility for the potential lethality of it. E-vehjicles being heavier makes them potentially móre lethal and them moving about in stealth mode does not help.
    With rights there should also be responsibilities. Pedestrians need to learn that in potentially dangerous situations, they should be extra vigilant. I’m not saying that a motorist doesn’t have a duty of care but it’s wrong to always make the motorist the guilty party.

About that paying attention to what you are doing; a large part of the spacial awareness is sound. Cyclist p.e. are not allowed to have music in both ears for the same reason that e-cars should not drive around in stealth mode.
    E-cars don’t drive in stealth mode, they just drive normally. They just happen to be particularly quiet at low speeds. At normal road speeds, they make as much sound as any other vehicle.

The irony that successive governments down the years have sought to vilify vehicles that make too much noise and are now doing the same to vehicles that don’t make enough noise, is not list on me.

Doesnt make them any more dangerous though Cilla. The car is still a car, unless it's got some design fault that makes them more susceptible to mounting curbs? My point was, as Dave just said people should stop looking at their phones and wake up to what's around them.