closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on a small home cinema extension

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I am a 2 channel only music lover, I have never done HT so my advice on room size is skewed. I would be looking for a room in a 3:5 ratio. I am not sure what your constraints on size are, is it budget or available apce? A room that is too square can be a real problem as can be a room where you are sitting too close to the wall behind, unless you treat the room as I have suggested. 2.7m seems quite narrow but 2.7 x 4m could work depending on how committed you are to acoustic treatment and what volume you like to listen at.

Cheers
    That where I have come from too but now have moved to surround sound and the requirements are a bit different. The requirements are space as I don't want to obscure the kitchen windows, but also, as you say I don't want to end up with a square room and a load of acoustic problems.

Hi, not sure if this is of much help.

Moved into a new house last year and had a room that was approx 6m X 3m. Have got a 5.1.2 system running with kef t303 for LCR and surrounds with kef ceiling speakers. Amp is a Denon AVRX3400H. Bought a two seater recliner sofa with some bean bags for the front. The walls are painted but still need to do the ceiling! All the wires have been chased into the walls etc.

Have tried to attach a picture not sure if it will work !

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gpattni View Post
    Hi, not sure if this is of much help.

Moved into a new house last year and had a room that was approx 6m X 3m. Have got a 5.1.2 system running with kef t303 for LCR and surrounds with kef ceiling speakers. Amp is a Denon AVRX3400H. Bought a two seater recliner sofa with some bean bags for the front. The walls are painted but still need to do the ceiling! All the wires have been chased into the walls etc.

Have tried to attach a picture not sure if it will work !

Looks fantastic, how's the sound and the image? Are those beanbags at the front low enough that you can see over anyone sitting there if you're on the sofa? I was thinking a two seater without a central arm rest would make both positions more central but that looks good. Where have you hidden the equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Looks fantastic, how's the sound and the image? Are those beanbags at the front low enough that you can see over anyone sitting there if you're on the sofa? I was thinking a two seater without a central arm rest would make both positions more central but that looks good. Where have you hidden the equipment?
    Yes the beanbags are low enough for the people on the recliners to see over them. The screen is a fixed 106" from richer sounds. The beanbags are from ambient lounge. I am just waiting until 4k becomes more affordable to upgrade the projector. The sound is definitely loud enough but I chose a system that wouldn't be too large. The equipment is in a rack at the back of the room. I can try and upload a picture if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by gpattni View Post
    Yes the beanbags are low enough for the people on the recliners to see over them. The screen is a fixed 106" from richer sounds. The beanbags are from ambient lounge. I am just waiting until 4k becomes more affordable to upgrade the projector. The sound is definitely loud enough but I chose a system that wouldn't be too large. The equipment is in a rack at the back of the room. I can try and upload a picture if you would like.
    Fantastic, the beanbags are really nice! I would rather wait for 4k projectors to become affordable too. If it's not too much trouble, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of how you have hidden the rack.

I have put together some rough and ready sketches of furniture, screen and speaker orientations. I am leaning towards the short wall orientation (first picture), as it leaves more depth in the room to put a couple of beanbags in front for the rare times we have more than 2 people watching something (e.g. with children).

Apparently the Visual Accuity Distance (at which it is possible to discern 4k detail) for a 65" 4k TV is 4", tried it with my three seater sofa and the seats on the end are much too far to the side. A two seater with no arm rest in the middle would work.

Would appreciate any thoughts as these are just my amateur attempts!

Oh well, looks like I killed the thread with my terrible diagrams! Think I'll go for the screen on the short wall and leave the windows out, having just a single glass door onto the patio. Room is for me after all, not some putative future buyer.

Fantastic, the beanbags are really nice! I would rather wait for 4k projectors to become affordable too. If it's not too much trouble, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of how you have hidden the rack.
    We decided not to hide it and just made it into a small bar area/av rack. The cabinet is open to allow for reasonable air flow circulation for the amp. Just have a PS4 and Xbox 1 and sky q box connected at the moment.

Oh well, looks like I killed the thread with my terrible diagrams! Think I'll go for the screen on the short wall and leave the windows out, having just a single glass door onto the patio. Room is for me after all, not some putative future buyer.
    Screen on the long wall will sound better with the caveat that you treat the room. That's an issue though with the door behind you which I assume is glass. Early reflections from the ceiling and sidewalls kill the SQ hence why I suggest the long wall option.

Screen on the long wall will sound better with the caveat that you treat the room. That's an issue though with the door behind you which I assume is glass. Early reflections from the ceiling and sidewalls kill the SQ hence why I suggest the long wall option.
    Yes, although I can move the door or it doesn't have to be glass (if it is, would be covered with a heavy velvet curtain). Interesting, most of the single garage conversions with similar dimensions I have found on AV Forums have gone for the short wall, on the basis that you get a closer match for the Dolby Atmos guidelines. Early reflections would have to be dealt with in any case, probably with panels? I don't mind having something on the ceiling if it makes a difference.

I guess my 2ch advice may not be totally relevant as I know nothing about Dolby so better you are deferring to people more knowledgable in this area. Regardless, treating the ceiling will make a massive difference especially in a small room. Velvet curtains while better than no curtains, do sweet FA compared to proper treatment.

Cheers

I guess my 2ch advice may not be totally relevant as I know nothing about Dolby so better you are deferring to people more knowledgable in this area. Regardless, treating the ceiling will make a massive difference especially in a small room. Velvet curtains while better than no curtains, do sweet FA compared to proper treatment.

Cheers
    Good to hear, as long as it sounds better than where it is currently set up (similar depth, twice as much width), I'll be happy!

Treating the room effectively gives you the benefits of a significantly larger room except only way better!

Treating the room effectively gives you the benefits of a significantly larger room except only way better!
    Great. Not really sure what to tell the builders to do to be honest...