closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Haveston canvas delivery

This thread has inspired me to get a Forecastle for my PRS40.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    This thread has inspired me to get a Forecastle for my PRS40.

That's a great match!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I've been inspired by the fantastic photos and have ordered a Forecastle with a PVD buckle for my CWC diver.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I've been inspired by the fantastic photos and have ordered a Forecastle with a PVD buckle for my CWC diver.

I look forward to seeing them together, and I hope the strap will fit. I tried one on my 2004 CWC and it didn't want to go through the bar/case gap. I probably could have dragged it through with some force applied but it wouldn't have done the strap any good, and probably the case neither.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I look forward to seeing them together, and I hope the strap will fit. I tried one on my 2004 CWC and it didn't want to go through the bar/case gap. I probably could have dragged it through with some force applied but it wouldn't have done the strap any good, and probably the case neither.
    Arrived today. Good news is the strap fits though the fixed bars, just, but it fits. Bad news is that I was sent an A12 instead of a Forecastle, but I'm sure they will sort that out. Quality seems excellent and I love the packaging.

Arrived today. Good news is the strap fits though the fixed bars, just, but it fits. Bad news is that I was sent an A12 instead of a Forecastle, but I'm sure they will sort that out. Quality seems excellent and I love the packaging.

I had a small problem with one of their nylon Nato straps a while ago, Alex sorted it out impeccably.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I had a small problem with one of their nylon Nato straps a while ago, Alex sorted it out impeccably.
    Alex was great. He is sending me the correct strap and told me to keep the A12. I feel I should pass the kindness on.

If anyone want an unworn A12 with a PVD keeper, please PM me, then make a donation to the fundraiser. I'll cover postage. If there is no interest here by Monday I'll put it on SC for the fundraiser.

Master
    This is the CWC diver with the Forecastle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Forecastle matches the CWC beautifully. Great gesture re the A12.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    The A12 is now on SC for the fundraiser.

This is probably the best place to ask - does anyone have a Parade NATO? I have a particular watch I think it'll go well with. Apart from general thoughts, wanted to ask if the strap is thinner than the canvas/normal NATOs. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    This is probably the best place to ask - does anyone have a Parade NATO? I have a particular watch I think it'll go well with. Apart from general thoughts, wanted to ask if the strap is thinner than the canvas/normal NATOs. Thanks!
    Haveston quote the thickness as 1.3mm, the same as the Service series but with a much finer weave, so my guess is that it may feel thinner due to this. The canvas straps are 1.5mm but feel thinner as they don't have the woven edge of the other series.
    F.T.F.A.

Haveston quote the thickness as 1.3mm, the same as the Service series but with a much finer weave, so my guess is that it may feel thinner due to this. The canvas straps are 1.5mm but feel thinner as they don't have the woven edge of the other series.
    Jup I was thinking the weave being finer will help. I assumed was same thickness as the canvas (the watch definitely can't take the canvas), I didn't go into the fine print. When I find another strap to take advantage of the discount, I'll go order one I think.

Jup I was thinking the weave being finer will help. I assumed was same thickness as the canvas (the watch definitely can't take the canvas), I didn't go into the fine print. When I find another strap to take advantage of the discount, I'll go order one I think.
    Would curved springbars help? The canvas was too tight a fit for my liking on my DA37 until I fitted some. Quite cheap from Cousins too.
    F.T.F.A.

Would curved springbars help? The canvas was too tight a fit for my liking on my DA37 until I fitted some. Quite cheap from Cousins too.
    It had curved spring bars already.....very tight lug clearance!

It had curved spring bars already.....very tight lug clearance!
    By George! I thought my DA37 was a tight fit! Have you a standard Nato to try in? That should give you an idea as to what might fit.
    F.T.F.A.

By George! I thought my DA37 was a tight fit! Have you a standard Nato to try in? That should give you an idea as to what might fit.
    So people know the watch - its the Ming Diver, it is bloody tight! I've tried one of Eddie's NATO and it JUST about fits. Perlon is pretty good, but I think the Parade black would be a better match.

For comparison I just measured a few straps with my trusty Mitutoyo. Eddies Coyote Brown, standard Nato, is 1.35/1.4 mm. Haveston Service (22mm) 1.55mm measured on it's long axis, 1.6-1.7mm across the strap to include woven edge. Haveston canvas (3 samples of 20mm) at pointed end 10mm from tip 2.0/2.1mm across straps, measured at various places across the straps 1.8/1.95mm depending on which strap and whether across flat part or stitched hole. Given your description of the watch you'll do well to get a Haveston Parade in!
    F.T.F.A.

For comparison I just measured a few straps with my trusty Mitutoyo. Eddies Coyote Brown, standard Nato, is 1.35/1.4 mm. Haveston Service (22mm) 1.55mm measured on it's long axis, 1.6-1.7mm across the strap to include woven edge. Haveston canvas (3 samples of 20mm) at pointed end 10mm from tip 2.0/2.1mm across straps, measured at various places across the straps 1.8/1.95mm depending on which strap and whether across flat part or stitched hole. Given your description of the watch you'll do well to get a Haveston Parade in!
    Thanks - yea it is tight! I couldn't find another strap, so just ordered the one black parade (last black brushed in stock!). Will report back.....

Well it’s arrived!!! Just about fits through and I have to say I do like this finer weave. Another excellent haveston! Only annoying thing is these have the ‘extra bit’ underneath. At some point I’ll probably chop it but it’s not too offensive so will stay for now!

Had to black given the colours of your watch! Nice pairing. Grey would also probably look good. Looks like the usual speedy delivery time.
    F.T.F.A.

Had to black given the colours of your watch! Nice pairing. Grey would also probably look good. Looks like the usual speedy delivery time.
    Jup, ordered Thursday evening, arrived today! Definitely had to be black - perfect with the bezel. Grey is indeed in the agenda whenever I next order - liking the comfort of the parade actually.

With a newly arrived PRS-68 and only a few old 18mm grey Natos on my W10s to use, plus a light khaki in the box it was time to order some curved 18mm springbars from Cousins. That done, off to the Haveston site . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Finally got around to placing an order. It's worth noting that if placing an order for 2 straps or more then the FIELDSET code for 10% discount is applied to the whole order, including any non strap items . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Well, postie's been and gone. Another quick delivery from Haveston. A brace of 18mm canvas for the newly acquired PRS-68.

But wait, what's that underneath?

Ah ha!

Well wrapped . . .

Nice . . .

Gratuitous watch pics . . . ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Well, postie's been and gone. Another quick delivery from Haveston. A brace of 18mm canvas for the newly acquired PRS-68.

Ah ha!

Well wrapped . . .

Nice . . .

Firstly - that looks really great.

Can you confirm - with the Haveston Straps - do they work with fixed bars - and do they also eliminate the 'excess' strap - so you don't have to have the fold-over piece?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Firstly - that looks really great.

Can you confirm - with the Haveston Straps - do they work with fixed bars - and do they also eliminate the 'excess' strap - so you don't have to have the fold-over piece?

Thanks
    They certainly work with fixed bars as they are a one piece single pass design, and the sliding keeper eliminates the need for the usual bulky fold over/tuck in piece. The canvas are quoted as being 1.5mm thick, but in reality they vary from 1.7mm to 1.9mm in the 10 examples of the canvas I have, in all three sizes ie 18, 20 and 22mm. They all measure 1.95mm over the stitched tang holes however, so you really need at least 2mm clearance between the bars and case in my experience, otherwise the straps drag as you pull them through and I don't think this does either the strap or the bars any good. I could get away with 1.5mm straight bars on my 40m Everest, but both my Damaskos, a PRS-5 Broadarow and now the PRS-68 all have curved bars from Cousins fitted. The gap on my CWC quartz diver, with fixed bars, is too tight. A quick check on a 1984 Precista 6BB, and a pair of CWC W10s from 1983 and 2004 shows that their clearances are way too tight to fit the 18mm canvas.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    They certainly work with fixed bars as they are a one piece single pass design, and the sliding keeper eliminates the need for the usual bulky fold over/tuck in piece. The canvas are quoted as being 1.5mm thick, but in reality they vary from 1.7mm to 1.9mm in the 10 examples of the canvas I have, in all three sizes ie 18, 20 and 22mm. They all measure 1.95mm over the stitched tang holes however, so you really need at least 2mm clearance between the bars and case in my experience, otherwise the straps drag as you pull them through and I don't think this does either the strap or the bars any good. I could get away with 1.5mm straight bars on my 40m Everest, but both my Damaskos, a PRS-5 Broadarow and now the PRS-68 all have curved bars from Cousins fitted. The gap on my CWC quartz diver, with fixed bars, is too tight. A quick check on a 1984 Precista 6BB, and a pair of CWC W10s from 1983 and 2004 shows that their clearances are way too tight to fit the 18mm canvas.
    Thanks for your reply - I was thinking of maybe using it on a PRS-40 (which I'm looking to possibly order soon). Do you have any experience with one of those?

Thanks for your reply - I was thinking of maybe using it on a PRS-40 (which I'm looking to possibly order soon). Do you have any experience with one of those?

I'm afraid I don't. However a thread in Watch Talk asking if anyone has fitted a Haveston to a PRS-40, or can measure the gap should yield results. Looking at Eddie's pictures of the watch there looks to be ample room.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I'm afraid I don't. However a thread in Watch Talk asking if anyone has fitted a Haveston to a PRS-40, or can measure the gap should yield results. Looking at Eddie's pictures of the watch there looks to be ample room.
    Yeah, looking at peoples various photo's I'm sure its going to be fine - thanks 👍

Master
    The Haveston fits though the fixed bars on my CWC SBS.

The Haveston fits though the fixed bars on my CWC SBS.

None of the 4 20mm canvas I have will go through the fixed bars of my 2004 CWC diver. The 2 18mm examples I received this week are @ 0.2mm thinner and will go in up to the first hole where the stitching stops them going further. I've no doubt I could use brute force and drag any of them on, but the straps would soon be useless after a few assaults like this.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Thanks for the information gerrudd and magirus.

I think what I’ll do is get the watch (hopefully if I can order one quick enough when the shop next opens) then have a good look at the gap between the fixed bars and case myself.

To be honest though, looking at various photo’s, I’d be surprised if the Haveston’s won’t fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information gerrudd and magirus.

I think what I’ll do is get the watch (hopefully if I can order one quick enough when the shop next opens) then have a good look at the gap between the fixed bars and case myself.

To be honest though, looking at various photo’s, I’d be surprised if the Haveston’s won’t fit.

After looking at a couple of PRS-40 videos I'd be surprised if you couldn't get two in at once!
    F.T.F.A.

Ah ha!

Well wrapped . . .

Nice . . .

Congrats on the watch roll! Thoughts on the product, I assume up to their standard great quality? Something I've eyed up as well as it looks very convenient.

Congrats on the watch roll! Thoughts on the product, I assume up to their standard great quality? Something I've eyed up as well as it looks very convenient.
    Aye, usual Haveston quality. The canvas is very sturdy, yet supple, and will soften further with time. The synthetic suede lining is nice and soft. My largest watch, the Dreadnought Voyager, fits in snugly. I don't know if you saw my earlier comments, but the 10% discount when ordering 2 or more straps applies to the entire order, so I took advantage and bought it with the 2 18mm straps I needed for my PRS-68. I'm waiting for a restock of the Forecastle in the near future as I need a spare 20mm and an 18mm, so I think it's time for a strap roll then as well.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    None of the 4 20mm canvas I have will go through the fixed bars of my 2004 CWC diver. The 2 18mm examples I received this week are @ 0.2mm thinner and will go in up to the first hole where the stitching stops them going further. I've no doubt I could use brute force and drag any of them on, but the straps would soon be useless after a few assaults like this.
    I’m not sure if the SBS has more space or I’m more brutal. 😁. It is a tight fit.

#151 further up.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    #151 further up.

Forgot about that! I'm interested to know just what the gap is on that watch, it looks very wide indeed.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    #151 further up.
    Thanks - well remembered

The watch roll is cool
    I have a couple of these (the original US issued tool pouch) in the garage
    One is used for tools in the jeep, the other is just lying there.
    It’s given me an idea.
    I also have a few M1 carbine magazine pouches that would be good for a travel pouch possibly.
    They do smell of musty surplus though

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The watch roll is cool
    I have a couple of these (the original US issued tool pouch) in the garage
    One is used for tools in the jeep, the other is just lying there.
    It’s given me an idea.
    I also have a few M1 carbine magazine pouches that would be good for a travel pouch possibly.
    They do smell of musty surplus though
    Nothing a couple of cool cycles in the washing machine with a nice scented fabric conditioner won't put right. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Nothing a couple of cool cycles in the washing machine with a nice scented fabric conditioner won't put right. ;-)
    Done!
    We will see how they turn out

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Done!
    We will see how they turn out
    Look forward to seeing the results.
    F.T.F.A.

Forgot about that! I'm interested to know just what the gap is on that watch, it looks very wide indeed.
    4 mm

4 mm

Thanks. bazza reported the gap as about 3.6mm and I'm not surprised it's bigger, it looks very large in the pics and videos.
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks. bazza reported the gap as about 3.6mm and I'm not surprised it's bigger, it looks very large in the pics and videos.
    The way the case inclines outwards you may even get something thicker to pass through. The problem is that the thicker the strap the harder it would be for it to turn downwards and interface with the wrist. I have found that the best straps for the PRS-40 are "thin and sturdy", like leather-backed canvas.

Master
    What I do to avoid the pointed end sticking out is to bend the last 20-25mm over towards my wrist before feeding it through the keepers, placing the sliding keeper where the pointed part starts to angle in. This ensures the tail sits flat, and avoids folding it and tucking it under the keeper, which is the point of having a sliding keeper. Of course wrist size and shape may play a part here.

Do you think the canvas keepers will be strong enough to fold the pointy end back over?

I note that they don’t do the tan colour in 22mm with brushed hardware

Do you think the canvas keepers will be strong enough to fold the pointy end back over?

I note that they don’t do the tan colour in 22mm with brushed hardware

The canvas keepers are joined with a stitch and I guess a little glue. I just tried tucking the loose end into the canvas keeper on the 18mm Bakelite I'm wearing right now and it's a very tight fit, with a sort of wedge effect as the bend angles the strap end. It's not something I'd like to do on a regular basis, but then the whole point of the single pass/sliding keeper layout is to avoid doing just this. The perspective of my picture you quoted above makes it look much bulkier than it actually is. The 22mm brushed M-1918C shows as in stock for me, albeit with the canvas keeper. As I understand it, once the stock of metal keepers is gone it'll be all canvas keepers.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    The canvas keepers are joined with a stitch and I guess a little glue. I just tried tucking the loose end into the canvas keeper on the 18mm Bakelite I'm wearing right now and it's a very tight fit, with a sort of wedge effect as the bend angles the strap end. It's not something I'd like to do on a regular basis, but then the whole point of the single pass/sliding keeper layout is to avoid doing just this. The perspective of my picture you quoted above makes it look much bulkier than it actually is. The 22mm brushed M-1918C shows as in stock for me, albeit with the canvas keeper. As I understand it, once the stock of metal keepers is gone it'll be all canvas keepers.
    Thanks for your reply - sorry, when I said 'brushed hardware' I was referring to the floating keeper.

I'm particularly keen to avoid the more usual NATO 'visible fold back' or the pointy end of the strap peering over the top of the wrist - and thought that the way you'd described it would achieve both - but was concerned that a canvas keeper was unlikely to be strong enough - long term. So thanks for providing feedback on that 👍

Hmmm...might need to look at an alternative then.