closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Withheld warranty card watch on eBay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    "Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116500LN - 2018, Unworn, Box, booklets, Warranty card for collection in x months"
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Then up to the buyer whether they go for it or not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The premium for the new GMT on Jubilee is going to be bullet-proof for a long time. How much will some people ask for the first examples? I predict well over £10k.
    As pie in the sky as this may seem, I could see these over 12k to begin with. Actually 13k, 14k or even 15k wouldn't surprise me.

For a few people the price is almost immaterial, it's having the latest almost unobtainable that matters.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the GMT will hit Daytona levels e.g. at least 15K to start with

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I think the GMT will hit Daytona levels e.g. at least 15K to start with
    And with a half baked apology to those thinking about it.......... you be a friggin moron to even consider going near that level. Sorry.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    .......... you be a friggin moron to even consider going near that level. Sorry.
    Like those "morons" who paid £15k for a ceramic Daytona, enjoyed having one of the hottest, least obtainable and most desirable watches on the market for a year before they sold it on, for perhaps only a £1,000 loss?

Hold on......isn't that an amazingly low cost of ownership for a fantastic watch that most think impossible to own?

How "moronic" then would you consider all those people who buy Cartiers, Breitlings, Omegas, IWC, JLC, TAG...?

Prices will be maddest at the outset with the new GMT, but dip in and out quickly or buy after the initial hysteria has abated, and you should have a sound buy at whatever level the premium settles. The demand for this one has been exceptional and the actual cost of ownership might be very little.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 2nd May 2018 at 13:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    As pie in the sky as this may seem, I could see these over 12k to begin with. Actually 13k, 14k or even 15k wouldn't surprise me.

For a few people the price is almost immaterial, it's having the latest almost unobtainable that matters.
    I wonder if Rolex just sold them for 15k would anyone buy them?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Yup they would still have waiting list initially I would think.
    Last edited by kultschar; 2nd May 2018 at 13:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Probably not many at that price, but some would sell. Rolex would know that they could easily up the price on the Daytona for example by a quite few thousand and still sell them all (and more). They could also up the price on the blnr, hulk, steel sky dweller, dsb and sub by 10%, maybe even 20% on some and still sell them.

They 'in their wisdom' have chosen not to increase them, nor increase supply it seems. Like it, love it, or loath it, their business model is superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Because the warranty is against the watch (not the person who bought the watch).
    I agree with that, and dislike the AD action of withholding warranty cards, but wouldn’t these same dealers refuse to handover the card - their purpose for withholding it (rightly or wrongly) was to prevent the onward sales and profits elsewhere (and to protect their status as AD).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Yes it is

No it is not (MB have done this in the past on desirable models, you could buy it, but had to sign an agreement that you would not sell it in xx years)

I don't know, what if 'the meteor hits'

see first comment

NO, it is not. How many F times do we have to go over this. Warranty card retention (from some ADs) is a condition of sale. If you don't like that condition don't buy from that AD.
    No need for the F word my good man, I see that as aggressive. I was simply asking a question.

I genuinely wasn't aware that this happens. My forum time has been VERY limited until late, due to other commitments.

I truly didn't know until THIS thread that an AD could keep the Warranty Card.

So:

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    NO, it is not. How many F times do we have to go over this. Warranty card retention (from some ADs) is a condition of sale. If you don't like that condition don't buy from that AD.
    the aggression wasn't necessary. And I only need it explaining ONCE. I just haven't been around lately.

Kindest regards,

Greg.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I agree with that, and dislike the AD action of withholding warranty cards, but wouldn’t these same dealers refuse to handover the card - their purpose for withholding it (rightly or wrongly) was to prevent the onward sales and profits elsewhere (and to protect their status as AD).
    Precisely. Regardless of the warranty following the watch, surely the AD will only handover the card to the original purchaser otherwise what is the point

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If if it’s any consolation (and I’ve posted this before) I had bought a SD4K from Watchfinder and still under 5 year warranty with cards and went to Rolex St James without the warranty card (left at home btw).
    Rolex St James accepted with watch for some work done under warranty. They had their own records based on serial number to check if it was still under warranty. No problems.
    Which suggest that the Warranty Card is, in fact, totally pointless and it makes no difference whatsoever whether the AD gives it to the buyer, retains it for 6 months, or sticks it in their bin.

If you buy a second-hand Rolex (without the pointless piece of plastic) and it develops a fault, you merely bring it to Rolex - possibly with some proof of ownership, such as a receipt - and they will check whether it is within the warranty period and provide a repair based on that.

Master
    The listing in question has been ended so it would appear that someone didn’t mind that it wasn’t part of the package.

My thoughts too - they withheld the warranty card to prevent the watch being sold on at a profit fuelling the grey market. If someone comes in asking for the warranty card having bought it, why would they release it? This defeats the object of what they are doing
    They'll release it because it's not their property to keep beyond the specified period.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    They'll release it because it's not their property to keep beyond the specified period.
    And you have this confirmed from an AD, or just how you would expect them to act?

Will they release to the person that currently has the watch in their possession (through whatever means), or the person they sold the watch to?

Craftsman
    And you have this confirmed from an AD, or just how you would expect them to act?

Will they release to the person that currently has the watch in their possession (through whatever means), or the person they sold the watch to?
    This was my question too. As an AD holding on to the cards I would think that I would only be responsible for releasing them to the original buyer whose name is on them. I would have no knowledge of the new ownership of the watch - the cards are the property of the original owner as far as I would be concerned and so they would be sent/collected by them and them alone.

What if the original owner dies, can their executor pick them (how many 'cards' are there anyway) up?

Master

Thumbs up

I’d be interested to know what a dealer is going to do when the new owner walks into the shop and says can I have my warranty card.

The debate of whether the dealer can do this to the original buyer is one thing but how does this actually work when the next owner legally owns the Watch and wants his warranty card?

People justify the legality of the dealer holding it as it’s a deal between them and the first owner, surely this goes totally out the window when the next owner now owns the Watch? The dealer is then holding this new owners property and they have zero right to hold onto it when they go in and ask for it back as their terms were with the first owner.

Or are they gonna go “NO, MINE!” Like a toddler and stamp their feet until the new owner decides to stand their and do something dramatic like call the police and then we can have even more attention grabbing Rolex threads...

“SWAT team take back my warranty card”

Then the new GMT will be £15k-£20k as the stupid hype builds beyond belief (not that it isn’t already)

All adds to the crazy circus people love to perpetuate. Jeez, get into something else! It just beggars belief to me, the fuss around the Daytona? The thing is as drab as dish water in my eyes. I get beauty is in the eye etc but you’d think it was some magical golden egg laying goose or something! Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Am I being naive to think that this topic has been done to death on half a dozen threads already?
    I'm going to release my comment in six month's time.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    This was my question too. As an AD holding on to the cards I would think that I would only be responsible for releasing them to the original buyer whose name is on them. I would have no knowledge of the new ownership of the watch - the cards are the property of the original owner as far as I would be concerned and so they would be sent/collected by them and them alone.
    If you have the original receipt as well as the watch what's to stop the AD from giving you the card ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I'm going to release my comment in six month's time.
    Well I'm withholding mine indefinitely!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    If you have the original receipt as well as the watch what's to stop the AD from giving you the card ?
    Maybe they will want to see ID to check its the original purchaser / check not been flipped

Or maybe after a year they wont give a monkeys and think the process has deterred flippers

This game is one I no longer will be playing - S/H with everything is the way to go. Before everybody goes on about inflated prices etc. I have owned most of the supposed 'halo' models and they really are not worth all the fuss, seriously.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2018-...h/112974397244

He says "Guarantee card will be forwarded on to buyer on may 2nd 2019"

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

What if he dies before then to put it bluntly ...... or leaves the country etc...... Anything could happen do think he will actually care by that date once he been paid lol. I would not purchase one of these without the card. 15k no card laughable!!
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bokbok; 3rd May 2018 at 21:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

I can see the scammers / fakers adopting this line and not having to provide a card

Quite - feeble attempt to prevent on-sales, not really well thought out by dealers and claimed not to nor policy by Rolex.

I can see the scammers / fakers adopting this line and not having to provide a card

Craftsman
    Got forwarded this. One of their watches was on eBay this week with all stickers and a lovely store card advertisement.

"Laings as a company have now changed their policy regarding the sale of professional Rolex watches and we are now incorporating a contract that has to be signed by the customer agreeing to not resell the watch within 3 years and for us to keep your guarantee card for the first year. The reason we are having to do this is to ensure these watches are not going straight to the second hand market for sale at a higher than retail value. We also cannot offer interest free credit terms on the remaining balance."

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Will stop nothing.

Surely if they can fake the watch, box and everything else they can do the card.

Any potential buyer may well now contact the AD to confirm they have the card (though, of course not in sellers best interest).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely if they can fake the watch, box and everything else they can do the card.

Any potential buyer may well now contact the AD to confirm they have the card (though, of course not in sellers best interest).
    Of course but makes it a hell of a lot easier for them not to bother forging a card with unique serials and UV markings (or whatever it has)

I doubt ADs will want to take phonecalls to confirm flippers sales

Do fake watches have unique numbers?

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea but the latest thread on high end fakes was scary

Regardless its one less thing
    Last edited by kultschar; 3rd May 2018 at 22:23.

Master
    Do fake watches have unique numbers?
    The better ones, yes.

It gets worse....

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Got forwarded this. One of their watches was on eBay this week with all stickers and a lovely store card advertisement.

"Laings as a company have now changed their policy regarding the sale of professional Rolex watches and we are now incorporating a contract that has to be signed by the customer agreeing to not resell the watch within 3 years and for us to keep your guarantee card for the first year. The reason we are having to do this is to ensure these watches are not going straight to the second hand market for sale at a higher than retail value. We also cannot offer interest free credit terms on the remaining balance."

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Lol. Do you go to jail if you flip before 3 years

Master
    You did read all the small print, yes?

Master

Withheld warranty card watch on eBay.

Welease the card welease the card.

Wery well I will welease the card.

We don’t have a card sir, it just some kind of TZ joke.

Are they ......wagging me.

No sir .

Welease the stickers

Vwery well I will welease the stwickers.

We don’t have any stwickers neither sir.

Rwolex sounds like Notoworious criminals.

Rinse repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Volvomanuk; 4th May 2018 at 06:29.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Under data protection would the owner have to supply proof of ID and purchase to pick the warranty card up as it would bear their name, therefore nobody else would have a right to it surely, even after the retention period ended, in the case of death, the same rules as anything else would apply, copy of death certificate I guess.

Not under data protection.

Master
    Considering some AD’s have apparently been holding warranty cards back for some time now and the number of posts about it on here (and elsewhere), I’m surprised we’ve still not had a single post (that I’m aware of) of anyone going back in to try and get their warranty card, let alone a new owner going in.

With regards to a new owner going in, how could any AD hand it over? What proof could they give them it’s legally now theirs? A scrap of signed paper? Email? Contract on the back of a fag packet? I’d imagine the onus is on the original buyer to collect and forward.

Signed contract on paper.

Signed contract on paper.
    Indeed, it’s just as valid as their ( the AD) contract I presume.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Wot oi sez is this ere’, as long as Rolex AD’s withold ANY part of a new Rolex package that I am being stiffed ‘full list price’ for, I will not be buying another new Rolex. Yes, I know Rolex don’t particularly care, more importantly, nor do I.

Craftsman
    Considering some AD’s have apparently been holding warranty cards back for some time now and the number of posts about it on here (and elsewhere), I’m surprised we’ve still not had a single post (that I’m aware of) of anyone going back in to try and get their warranty card, let alone a new owner going in.

With regards to a new owner going in, how could any AD hand it over? What proof could they give them it’s legally now theirs? A scrap of signed paper? Email? Contract on the back of a fag packet? I’d imagine the onus is on the original buyer to collect and forward.
    My AD rang me at the 12 month mark and said I could come in and collect my warranty card, which I did when I collected another new watch. I think I was one of the original posters who identified this trend when I picked up a ceramic Daytona on release. I was aggrieved at the time but as I rarely sell a watch on, I'm far more relaxed about the process as at least I access a purchase at RRP.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Their watch has the serial number on.

I still want to know what right they have to hold the card from the new owner? The contract is with the original owner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

I still want to know what right they have to hold the card from the new owner? The contract is with the original owner.
    What if the watch was stolen or borrowed from the original buyer. I don’t think they would be too happy to find out that the AD had given out the warranty card.

This isn’t really about rights anyway - the AD plays whatever game they want, and if the buyers don’t like it, then don’t buy.

Maybe you can't sell a watch if there's a contract on it in place?

Master
    The main agent and the first purchaser enter a contract including explicit agreement that the warranty card - a piece of plastic whose later supply in no way otherwise diminishes the first purchaser's rights - will be supplied at a specific time.

The main agent and the subsequent purchaser have entered no contract with each other.

The first purchaser alone has entered a contract with any subsequent purchaser. If he cannot perform his side of the contract in any respect (perhaps if he has promised the card will be available sooner) then he alone answers to the subsequent purchaser.

The main agent will perform his only contract exactly as it was engrossed.

A court would look at the two contracts and find that failure lay only in the second one, being exclusively between the first and subsequent purchaser, if the former had promised delivery which he could not meet. Only the first purchaser would be liable to give redress.

As the subsequent purchaser briging a claim against the main agent you would have wasted time and money, gaining only enemies along the way. It is time to accept the situation as it is. You have the luxury to choose whether you buy this brand, this way, or don't.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 4th May 2018 at 09:55.

Master
    Yes I realise this, I was asking what proof could a 2nd owner give that an AD would find acceptable. The AD wouldn't have an obligation to that person as their agreement was solely with the original buyer.