closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jet suit paramedics!

Craftsman

Jet suit paramedics!

Heard this on BBC and couldn't find the story anywhere so thought I'd dreamt it, but it's real!

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/sta...334761472?s=09

Several words spring to mind.

Hold my beer and watch this
    What could possibly go wrong.
    Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    To infinity, and beyond!
    Put your gear on and die like a man
    That looks dangerous, you go first.

Last edited by Groundrush; 29th September 2020 at 11:13.

They need more lasers …

Craftsman
    I heard it on the radio this morning and thought wtf lol.

After watching that video and seeing a 25 minute journey on foot took 90 seconds with the jet suit that definitely could be a life saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    I heard it on the radio this morning and thought wtf lol.

After watching that video and seeing a 25 minute journey on foot took 90 seconds with the jet suit that definitely could be a life saved.
    Providing it doesn't take 35 minutes to get the jet suit on. ;-)

I lol'd at that. Nice one. But yeah as to the other comments quicker to get their but how much time is taken up getting it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    To infinity, and beyond!

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    To infinity, and beyond!

Yup.

Candidate for Tomorrows World.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Plenty of paragliders, skydivers and base jumpers have been sucked to their doom by the squirrely winds that live on the lea side of tall objects like buildings and mountains. A paramedic would have to negotiate all that while strapped to four 120,000 rpm high temperature shrapnel generators, five gallons of avgas and a first aid kit, while trying not to set fire to the heather. That's a plan so crazy, it might just work.

Blog Entries
    Plenty of paragliders, skydivers and base jumpers have been sucked to their doom by the squirrely winds that live on the lea side of tall objects like buildings and mountains. A paramedic would have to negotiate all that while strapped to four 120,000 rpm high temperature shrapnel generators, five gallons of avgas and a first aid kit, while trying not to set fire to the heather. That's a plan so crazy, it might just work.
    With health and safety rules being what they are these days it does seem a tad unrealistic.

There are no doubt a significant number of considerations, but ignoring that for one moment... this is why I love those crazy bastards who invent things like this in their garden shed, and believe in their inventions and mad-scientist ideas. Every once in a while a crazy idea will turn into something that benefits those who need it most.

See Gravity's YouTube Channel for more videos...including Race Testing!.

And here is another link...https://youtu.be/Ic082qZELNE?t=510...where I've jumped to the inventor explaining his concept. The earlier bits are worth a watch too, IMO, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Master
    It's about time that "extreme sports" participants started taking out insurance to cover the NHS costs that we all pay to treat them. Why should we have to pay for their recklessness?

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    It's about time that "extreme sports" participants started taking out insurance to cover the NHS costs that we all pay to treat them. Why should we have to pay for their recklessness?
    Your intentions are undoubtedly good but you’re opening a Pandora’s box.
    Where do you set the threshold that requires insurance?
    And from there, how long will it be before that threshold is lowered to just about any activity, then for excess weight (incrementally), then based on genetic profiles ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Ill thought out rant.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Ill thought out rant.
    More succinctly put...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Which ‘extreme sports’ would qualify?

This sort of thing has great utility but will, initially, be slowly adopted and improved in short-order. I was involved in an evaluation for a specific military role a few years ago. The conclusion, extremely quickly arrived at for reasons I won't go into here, is that there needs to be far more automation of operation, navigation (already there), terrain/object avoidance and redundancy. That said, I'd love one today!

Nice idea, but requires a fairly unique skill set of being both a paramedic AND a trained rocket man. Not impossible of course, but requires some considerable training I’d imagine.

Plus, who attends to the Paramedic after a bad gust of wind leads them to face plant a hillside at great speed carrying fuel tanks?

Why "at great speed"? The point is to make an ascent speedier than walking up and that doesn't require anything very fast or any great height off of the ground. Common sense will dictate appropriate speed etc according to the conditions.

Should the paramedic get injured (which possible even when on foot) then I guess they will have to use the same resources that would attend a paramedic in a helicopter ambulance that had an accident.

Watching the news report and interview with the inventor, the paramedic was only just above the ground and travelling at a low speed.

Apparently, these suits are relatively easy to use without a great deal of training (although training is needed obviously). He likened it to learning to ride a bicycle. But even so, they’re tweaking it to make it more user friendly.

The fuel and exhaust aren’t considered an issue as the heat dissipates quickly in air so the hot air is unlikely to cause fires and the engines themselves can run on diesel.

Banned
    Blog Entries

six micro gas-turbines, 10 minute flight time... seems relatively easy to get the hang of TBH, and strapping in is quick.

Last edited by Seamaster73; 30th September 2020 at 08:12.

Master
    It’s just another way to spend the charity money. Some of the air ambulance bank accounts have been getting to big over the last years so they’ve been buying new aircraft to get to money of there books this is just another way of doing it. So after the 5 minutes flight time who’s going to come and carry all the stuff back to the car, along with the patient. The GNAA do a good service but leave the search and recovery from difficult places to the people actually paid to do the job in proper aircraft. It’s just a shame the RAF and FAA no longer do S&R.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Even our Navy is interested...Twitter link.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    It’s just another way to spend the charity money. Some of the air ambulance bank accounts have been getting to big over the last years so they’ve been buying new aircraft to get to money of there books this is just another way of doing it. So after the 5 minutes flight time who’s going to come and carry all the stuff back to the car, along with the patient. The GNAA do a good service but leave the search and recovery from difficult places to the people actually paid to do the job in proper aircraft. It’s just a shame the RAF and FAA no longer do S&R.
    Air Ambulances should not be charities, they should be mainstream funded.

This aside, it's a piece of bo$$ocks news. Firstly, the flight was not conducted by a Paramedic, they had no kit with them and apart from a publicity stunt it really has little value.

Air Ambulances should not be charities, they should be mainstream funded.
    No, they shouldn’t. Most, if not all, AAs prefer the independence of being a charity.

You only have to see the pain that the various Police aviation units are going through under NPAS to see that central funding isn’t the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    No, they shouldn’t. Most, if not all, AAs prefer the independence of being a charity.

You only have to see the pain that the various Police aviation units are going through under NPAS to see that central funding isn’t the answer.
    Sorry, I did not mean central funding (as in national, like NPAS) rather NHS Trust funding for the region they cover.

Sorry, I did not mean central funding (as in national, like NPAS) rather NHS Trust funding for the region they cover.
    Nope, I’m still pretty sure that most (if not all) would rather be independent. You only have to look at how most hospitals struggle with NHS funding and the whims of the national (Tory) government.

Most AA charities have a significant surplus of fund-raising. Hence, the recent purchases of new, modern aircraft and the ‘investment’ in new headquarters or operating bases. None of this would be be possible with NHS funding.

The bigger impact of this technology will be somebody taking out a passenger aircraft. KLAX incident this August was quite sobering.

https://youtu.be/LszblamHhso

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    The bigger impact of this technology will be somebody taking out a passenger aircraft. KLAX incident this August was quite sobering.

https://youtu.be/LszblamHhso
    There was another last week.

Maybe in an ideal world air ambulances would be centrally funded, but in today's world the NHS needs charity support for many vital functions from a variety of sources, eg their local friends associations, the national lottery and the Help Appeal. The latter seeks to provide the NHS with helipads to support the air ambulances...something else that one would have thought should be part of the NHS's central funding.

In any case, this thread is about potential practical applications for a jet suit and started out with mountain rescue paramedics and not air ambulances. Before it gets entirely diverted, IMO we don't need another thread about UK government and how it works, should work or doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There was another last week.
    Link: Is someone really flying around LAX in a jet pack?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not going to end well; let’s hope it’s merely a long custodial sentence for the jet pack operator.

Jet suit paramedics!

Could end worse for him/her.

Maybe in an ideal world air ambulances would be centrally funded,
    No they wouldn’t. Genuinely. See above for the reasoning.

In any case, this thread is about potential practical applications for a jet suit and started out with mountain rescue paramedics and not air ambulances.
    The original demo flight was carried out on behalf of GNAAS, an air ambulance charity, not the MRTs.

In short, for a multitude of reasons, jet packs wouldn’t be practical or sensible for air ambulance paramedics. But what this story has managed to do is to raise the profile of the GNAAS in a time when there has been a squeeze on their fundraising. Well done them.