closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: what do I need to pay for an SM300 - original, watchco and other rebuilds

Master

what do I need to pay for an SM300 - original, watchco and other rebuilds

I've always fancied an SM300 ...... if I remember correctly you could get a descent (original) one for about £1,500 6 or 7 years ago, and the Aussie Watchco ones were a similar price

Just looked on the Bay and there is a (new) rebuild, not Watchco but someone in the UK, for £2,250 .... the prices of original versions seem to be anywhere between ?? and almost £9k

I think that Watchco have stopped selling them, is that true?

Whats the going rate for a Watchco build a couple of years old as that look like all I can afford versus the original ........... are the originals so sort after?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I've always fancied an SM300 ...... if I remember correctly you could get a descent (original) one for about £1,500 6 or 7 years ago, and the Aussie Watchco ones were a similar price

Just looked on the Bay and there is a (new) rebuild, not Watchco but someone in the UK, for £2,250 .... the prices of original versions seem to be anywhere between ?? and almost £9k

I think that Watchco have stopped selling them, is that true?

Whats the going rate for a Watchco build a couple of years old as that look like all I can afford versus the original ........... are the originals so sort after?
    Hang on and you may get one for under £20

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smogmonster View Post
    Hang on and you may get one for under £20
    why?

( are you just getting your post count up?)

A 'Watchco' or a similar rebuild using Omega OEM parts will set you back around the £2.7k mark and possibly a little more if someone has added a 1171 bracelet to complete the package. The non date version (think 165-024) are the more desirable. They are stunning watches, 100% Omega parts, but a modern rebuild using an original movement. I understand Watchco have slowed down production because they cannot get the parts.

Buying an original is more of a minefield than buying an original vintage Rolex. If you find the right one in great condition be prepared to pay five figures. I did bid on a big triangle full set 165-024 and it ending up selling for close to £13k with commission and fees. There are a lot of cheap and nasty Frankensteins out there, so buy from a trusted source is the way to go.

Personally, I would do a WTB for rebuild, several have appeared on SC in recent months.

Journeyman
    Talking about the watch head only: I built my "new build" with date about 5 years ago for approx £1300 all in as I remember. I also built a couple of other new builds last year for others and the all in cost was about £2150 per watch. I think the case was about £1250 in terms of parts cost so an extra £900 for everything else.

A case alone (without dial, hands, movement, service etc) is now more than £1500 at a UK supplier so, the £2250 doesn't sound bad...

The original watches keep going up and are dragging the prices of the new builds up to levels that are probably unrealistic versus a new Omega. I like mine though and also made myself a no date as I wear the original one a lot - no worries about marking it like my vintage pieces.

Cheers, Chris

Master
    Thanks guys

there is a SM300 rebuild on The Bay at £2,250 but it is not Watchco

I have a WatchCo SM120 which I really like ......... I have had it a few years and it is good, so that's why I am looking at a Watchco rebuild

Master
    I bought a mint no date from here a few months back with omega mesh for £2700 and have agreed a pending sale for the same price. Whilst they can divide opinions a little I think they're lovely and great value compared to subs.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 12th February 2018 at 19:44.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Thanks guys

there is a SM300 rebuild on The Bay at £2,250 but it is not Watchco

I have a WatchCo SM120 which I really like ......... I have had it a few years and it is good, so that's why I am looking at a Watchco rebuild
    Ive owned a good few Watchco versions. They are not making any more. There should be no difference in a Watchco version and one put together by a competent Watchmaker though. Provided the movement was a good one and recently/properly serviced then I can’t see there being any real difference.

Imho they are well worth the money compared to buying most new Omega watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Be sure you get one where the bezel lines up. If the triangle is a little off the centre of the 12 marker, it doesn't look good. Obviously, check they're all Omega parts and the 565 (or 552) has nice colouring and is serviced. They should be water resistant as well.

And that the lume on the dial and hands match - not a white lume dial with greenish hands.

Hope you find one, Chris
    Last edited by ChrisN; 12th February 2018 at 20:37.

So is the non date more desirable ? I wish I hadn't seen this thread as I want one now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    So is the non date more desirable ? I wish I hadn't seen this thread as I want one now!
    An expert will probably correct me but I believe the date is changed by a push. It’s this and the screw down crown makes it tricky to get right when building them and a potential point of fallibility .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post

The original watches keep going up and are dragging the prices of the new builds up to levels that are probably unrealistic versus a new Omega.
    Agree 100%, when these watches could be built for around £1200 they were worth buying, but no way would I want to pay £2.5K for one.

Buying a second- hand movement is now getting more expensive, and the chances are it’ll need a fair amount spending on it to get everything right. I built two of these watches in 2015 and in hindsight I wish I’d kept them because prices have almost doubled since. That’s the benefit of hindsight!

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    An expert will probably correct me but I believe the date is changed by a push. It’s this and the screw down crown makes it tricky to get right when building them and a potential point of fallibility .
    The date on a cal565 is quickset by pulling the crown out. It’s common for this to not work correctly on old movements but it can usually be made to function by replacing the date wheel, wear on the date wheel teeth is usually the culprit. It’s not a great design, I prefer the earlier movements with no quickset. The date was easy to set by turning the hands back to 10 o clock then advancing again. This can still be done on the quickset models if the quickset doesn’t work.

With the screw- down crown it’s a tricky job to get the stem length exactly right to get everything working as it should.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The date on a cal565 is quickset by pulling the crown out. It’s common for this to not work correctly on old movements but it can usually be made to function by replacing the date wheel, wear on the date wheel teeth is usually the culprit. It’s not a great design, I prefer the earlier movements with no quickset. The date was easy to set by turning the hands back to 10 o clock then advancing again. This can still be done on the quickset models if the quickset doesn’t work.

With the screw- down crown it’s a tricky job to get the stem length exactly right to get everything working as it should.

Paul
    Right you are :) glad you cleared that up.
    It’s what makes the site great having so much knowledge at hand. It’s definitely saved me on a few occasions

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree 100%, when these watches could be built for around £1200 they were worth buying, but no way would I want to pay £2.5K for one.

Buying a second- hand movement is now getting more expensive, and the chances are it’ll need a fair amount spending on it to get everything right. I built two of these watches in 2015 and in hindsight I wish I’d kept them because prices have almost doubled since. That’s the benefit of hindsight!

Paul
    Why wouldn't you want to pay £2500? I personally think it's quite a fair price considering the current price of parts and the current Omega line up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to pay £2500? I personally think it's quite a fair price considering the current price of parts and the current Omega line up.
    I think as very good condition SM300’s are hitting 15k a Watchco at £2500 -£3000 will have a market.
    I owned an original SM300 but it needed so much tender care and with a ghosted Dial it was becoming impractical for my use and difficult to read the dial. A Watchco gives me all the original fantastic design and robustness to wear on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I think as very good condition SM300’s are hitting 15k a Watchco at £2500 -£3000 will have a market.
    I owned an original SM300 but it needed so much tender care and with a ghosted Dial it was becoming impractical for my use and difficult to read the dial. A Watchco gives me all the original fantastic design and robustness to wear on a daily basis.
    Exactly. If I could have the Rolex equivalent for the same % outlay I’d have had every possible sports model available in my collection.

I see cases are still available from Cousins at a fair cost though, and most offer parts. Just need a donor movement maybe ?

Journeyman
    Out of interest, I just looked at Cousins and apart from the case, the prices are virtually unchanged from a year ago. I make the total with VAT for a 565 version to be £1920 (Dial, date ring, hands, case clamps, clamp screws, stem, case). That's almost £300 more than the middle of last year. Plus, say another £500 for a movement, service, build and it's £2400 for the head as a minimum. Parts can run away with you on these as many of the movements you see for sale have been abused.

To me, at £2000 you could probably sell a lot as they're a good buy. Above that. they seem to sell but not so quickly. It seems unlikely they'll get any cheaper though...

Cheers, Chris