closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I’m going to be blunt. I hated it - like another Phantom Menace, but with more cgi and a poorer story. I can’t think of a single positive thing to say about it (and I was 8 years old in ‘77 and always been a fan of not quite a geek!) - any more comment would be a spoiler but I can’t see any fan enjoying this - it’s about as far away from the spirit of Star Wars as is possible imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m going to be blunt. I hated it - like another Phantom Menace, but with more cgi and a poorer story. I can’t think of a single positive thing to say about it (and I was 8 years old in ‘77 and always been a fan of not quite a geek!) - any more comment would be a spoiler but I can’t see any fan enjoying this - it’s about as far away from the spirit of Star Wars as is possible imho

Mate. You have me crying into my tomato soup.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I went yesterday, first showing - imax 3d in leicester sq. The 3d space scenes were amazing, really good, story is a bit flat, some bits were pointless and it feels like disney are trying to tie up loose ends in a really weird way.

8/10 from me, i was assuming there's a 3rd film in the trilogy, it'll be interesting to see what theyre going to do.

Craftsman

Unfortunately I have to agree ... I went with missus, and we were given two posters, oh good, we thought, we will put them in kids room, he will love it. When the movie was over, missus just threw the posters in the nearest bin.
    Poor attempts at humour, incredible stupid character decisions, the plot was beyond cringe-worthy

What a load of garbage that was. I walked out halfway through. I thought the last film was brilliant - this one was like a cheesy kids movie starring the muppets.

The whole star wars concept seems dated and IMHO it was an error to bring back luke skywalker.

First time I've walked out of a film early for years

I'm off to see it a second time tomorrow, this time with the family. I really enjoyed it.

I bought tickets (reserved recliner seats) to see it next Wednesday night with my two younger boys (26 and 21). I was 30 when I went to the premiere of the original.

I hope this one is better than the last. To me, the amateurish "overacting" by John Boyega ("Finn") was a constant anchor holding down the last film from reaching its potential. I hope his acting has improved since then.

Off to see it with my youngest daughter this afternoon.

Ive noted a number of the comments above - but as long as its a couple of hours of fun and escapism thats OK with me. I am not expecting another Blade Runner or 2001.

Craftsman
    I am looking at the metacritic (user) and rottentomatoes (audience) scores, and it sure is divisive, so you just might love it

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star...-the-last-jedi
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta...the_last_jedi/

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    To me, the amateurish "overacting" by John Boyega ("Finn") was a constant anchor holding down the last film from reaching its potential. I hope his acting has improved since then.
    Prepare to be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I bought tickets (reserved recliner seats) to see it next Wednesday night with my two younger boys (26 and 21). I was 30 when I went to the premiere of the original.

I hope this one is better than the last. To me, the amateurish "overacting" by John Boyega ("Finn") was a constant anchor holding down the last film from reaching its potential. I hope his acting has improved since then.
    I’m absolutely amazed at the positive reviews of ‘The Last Jedi’. I wasn’t blown away by ‘The Force Awakens’ - a blatant rehash of the original which however still felt like the Star Wars universe. The last Jedi is like a parody, flat out bad with some incredibly hammy and downright embarrassing scenes. I honestly don’t get how such an obvious turkey is getting more than 2 star reviews

Craftsman
    I’m absolutely amazed at the positive reviews of ‘The Last Jedi’. I wasn’t blown away by ‘The Force Awakens’ - a blatant rehash of the original which however still felt like the Star Wars universe. The last Jedi is like a parody, flat out bad with some incredibly hammy and downright embarrassing scenes. I honestly don’t get how such an obvious turkey is getting more than 2 star reviews

Fully agree. 3/10 at best. Still haven't got over how irreverent it was.

Not seen it yet, but I think you have to take Star Wars for what it is ie children’s (or at a push) family entertainment - albeit very polished with sky high production values. It never ceases to amaze me how adults take it all so seriously, to a point so far beyond the original concept that it’s never going to live up to the nostalgic expectation. The Force Awakens was a shameless rehash of the first part of the original trilogy - I’m sure if you were 9, it’d be magical, but if you’re a middle aged bloke, the story is overly naive and simplistic (which to be fair, the original trilogy is if you watch them as an adult - out if context, they’re really not that great). It’s definteky not The Godfather (or Alien for that matter), and it is slightly comical that the films feature so highly on “Best films ever” compilations.

They are great popcorn entertainment, and despite all this, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it!

Grand Master

Reviewers nowadays care more for their future ability to get freebies and into the premieres, rather than marking movies honestly.

Star Wars at the time was different, it wasn't perfect, but it worked at the time, for an audience. The next three came at a time when there were so many other great sci fi movies, which showed up the poor scripts that blighted the parts 1-3.

The last two (7 and 8) are again just movies that don't really have the magic of the originals, because they just can't due to time moving on, unfortunately like most big bucks movies nowadays, you have to find a reviewer you trust to get any real picture of what it's like, not a lot of big time reviewers want to go against the trend and diss the years biggest disney backed movie!

I am reading a lot online about Star Wars fans disliking the film because it doesn’t fit their personal expectations of the direction the story has taken. But I think it’s a lot simpler than that. The plot, execution, and script are one of the worst of any movie I’ve ever seen, regardless of genre. It makes the previous film totally redundant as it just dumps all the questions and cliffhangers from all the previous movies. It’s a bad script made badly with huge gaping plot holes and absolutely no decent pacing. It’s a stupid film and I’m amazed so many talented people can group together to produce such a steaming rancid load of rubbish?!

So, you liked it?

Craftsman
    I can’t go until next week so I am trying to avoid spoilers everywhere I go on the Internet. I haven’t even looked too far into this thread other than seeing it didn’t disappoint, which is music to my ears.

Blog Entries
    Saw it last night. I am a huge Star Wars fan but perhaps I expected too much.

My iniital feelings on the way out were of disappointment but heading back tomorrow for a second viewing.

Saw it this afternoon.

OK way to pass a few hours.

Good special effects.

I didn't like the humour which I found quite puerile. Not keen on the 'cuddly toy' creatures either.

It would have been good to see more of the woman storm trooper as a character.

The whole thing seemed like a jazzed up TV series episode - probably a result of Disney's plan to keep these coming on a regular basis.

Not a patch on Rogue One in my view.

My daughter thought exactly the same - in fact she nearly dozed off half way through.

6/10 from me.

Master
    Just got back from watching this - great movie and all classic star wars (camp action). That said, the plot wasn't up to much and for me they are not stepping far enough away from the original trilogy here to get me very excited, it all feels a bit "samey" just with a younger cast.

Again, thoroughly enjoyable but I'm not itching to re-watch it like I was with Force Awakens, once you've seen the action set pieces and the obligatory deaths it's pretty much done with.

Craftsman
    Just back from seeing it and it was poor. Seemed like we had warped to the Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica universes. Acting not great.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Worst. Star. Wars. Movie. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Worst. Star. Wars. Movie. Ever.
    ^This^

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    ^This^

Gutted and have to agree

I was really hyped after the superb Rogue One and it was terrible. Kind of accepted Force Awakens but this was a shocker with so much pointless and poor plots / sub storys. Im kind of in disbelief

Grand Master
    I'm more hopeful for the Disney standalones than the continuing saga to be honest, like Rogue 1, they had a very small window given to them from the original, so they couldn't branch out or do anything too silly, with the saga, well they can continue to do daft stuff, god knows how they can spend hundreds of millions on sets and CGI and about 20 quid on a script.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    What a bunch of miseries. I watched it today with my son and we both enjoyed it for what it was...escapism.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post

Also, the Porgs introduction made sense and they weren't annoying.
    No it didn't and yes they were.

I didn't like it
    Or many more words over several posts that can be boiled down to that ^^
    You win the prize for most disappointed viewer.

We enjoyed it.

A good couple of hours of fun entertainment.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    *spoilers*

As a fan of Star Wars since childhood days, there're a few thoughts after watching "The Last Jedi".

That feels when Luke boarding Falcon's cockpit.

Many characters with potentials, written off like trash no longer needed.

The First Order is as strong as The Empire, if not better (i.e. the Empire would've been stronger without Vadar).

It's unfair to compare the Resistance to the Rebel.

See what Princess Leia could do with the force as compared to what Luke, the chosen one could.

Rey is pretty good, and her Jedi training might have been completed in "The Force Awakens".

By the end of the movie, there's a kid with special gift (a Di$ney's ver$ion of "A New Hope").

Thank you Rian Johnson.

Thank you Di$ney.
    Last edited by shinn8; 19th December 2017 at 03:07.

Master
    I haven't seen it yet... seeing it on Tuesday. But are people forgetting this is a kids movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    I haven't seen it yet... seeing it on Tuesday. But are people forgetting this is a kids movie?
    Its not a kids movie though is it?
    Although it does have to be suitable for children.
    Any sw film has to be made with the original fan base in mind, and they will all be in their late forties /fifties now.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Sounds like someone needs to tell that to the powers that be, Dave

Whether you’re a kid or an adult a film has to have a decent script and actually make sense. The 8 year old me wouldn’t have enjoyed it either - I’m sure I’d have fallen asleep tbh! - but hey, if you’re not a Star Wars fan and just want a forgettable whizz bang film I’m sure it does the job. But you’d probably be better of with a marvel film imho

Blog Entries
    Second viewing this afternoon and I enjoyed it much more. Might go a third time over Xmas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    What a bunch of miseries. I watched it today with my son and we both enjoyed it for what it was...escapism.

No it didn't and yes they were.

Or many more words over several posts that can be boiled down to that ^^
    You win the prize for most disappointed viewer.
    A bunch of miseries indeed, it's not without its obvious faults, but what a wonderfull continuation of the best space opera ever. I think people forget that story lines they liked at 11, should still be good to those that are 11 today (perhaps omitting the fact that that today's 11 year old's have likely seen so much more than they should have of the world via mobile phones and tablets). It's also easy to pass over the large battles and scenic panoramas that would have been impossible even a few years ago. Not a massive fan of cgi, more of a Ray Harry Hausen type of guy, but when TV adverts for bog bleach can have cinematic graphics, have we become jaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn8 View Post
    As a fan of Star Wars since childhood days, there're a few thoughts after watching "The Last Jedi".

That feels when Luke boarding Falcon's cockpit.

Many characters with potentials, written off like trash no longer needed.

The First Order is as strong as The Empire, if not better (i.e. the Empire would've been stronger without Vadar).

It's unfair to compare the Resistance to the Rebel.

See what Princess Leia could do with the force as compared to what Luke, the chosen one could.

Rey is pretty good, and her Jedi training might have been completed in "The Force Awakens".

By the end of the movie, there's a kid with special gift (a Di$ney's ver$ion of "A New Hope").

Thank you Rian Johnson.

Thank you Di$ney.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Saw a matinee performance (so plenty of kids) and it went down a storm with the audience with plenty of laughs and cheers. As a middle aged fan of the originals I felt some of the humour was clumsily placed but the story moved on nicely. Like The Force Awakens it borrowed plenty of themes and plot developments from the original 3 films, but to good effect. If Empire is your favourite of the originals then I think you will like this for the same reasons.

Craftsman
    Spoiler alert.

Felt a bit too staid. The only mystery disappeared far to easily when Snoke lasted all of two seconds. Am I right in thinking it's now just galactic Jeremy Kyle?

Mostly I just think it was rushed. Far too much happened that made everything not as important as it might have been.

The humour was misplaced I think. A bit too cheesy early on.

Red guys though, pretty awesome.

F**king loved it. 2 and a bit hours of sci-fi nonsense in the Star Wars universe, what's not to love?

OK, the stupid Porgs were unnecessary but thankfully they were no Jar Jarf*cking Binks.

General Organa should have died at the end, they've left it open for her to appear in the next movie... but the actress is dead, let the character die too.

I experienced a minor break in my suspension of disbelief when Finn and Rose were on their way back to the Resistance fleet at the speed of light yet they were receiving normal comms... kinda fried my head for a minute but I can forgive it. I can't forgive the stupid sentimental bit in the third act between these two though. Eurgh.

Snoke died too easily.

And that's it, loved it otherwise. No Rogue One and certainly no Empire Strikes Back, but Kylo Ren is a decent successor to Darth Vader, an excellent baddie.

Follow the original trilogy too closely and it's a boring retread. Don't pay enough respect and it's a generic space opera. Not sure they can please everyone. While I understand the criticisms (and agree with many) there can be a bit more to it than a kids film too, I think.

*spoilers*

*last chance*

- Hux. In the Force Awakens he was presented as a demagogue, a national supremacist, a Trumpian Make The Galaxy Great Again and Faragian Take Back Control little-First-Order flag waver. He was in danger of becoming a figure of appeal to certain types. In TLJ he is ridiculed. The best way to deal with such egotistical national tub thumpers, is to laugh at them.

- The Jedi Scrolls. Or whatever they were. The sacred texts, with their own revered burial ground. Much respected. The source of all Jedi knowledge. The true Book. The tablets. Burned to the ground, with Yoda's gleeful agreement and message: it's not the books. "Have you even read them?" he asks, plaintively echoing those who would defend "their" Book, or mock another religion's Book, without having read them.

- The Force. It isn't for lifting rocks and doesn't belong to Jedis. This connection between things and people is not owned. It is important for the plots that follow (the connection between Rey and Ren, Luke's final act projection) but also to claim back the essence of something ("the force" / goodness / connection) that was in danger of becoming a simple fighting tool for the chosen ones. A "my book and my powers are better than yours, watch this..." special-move.

As with Hux and the Jedi Scrolls, TLJ gives this back to everyone, the universe, you. Even Poe gets the lesson, that every problem doesn't necessarily need him to jump into his cockpit and start shooting at things.

As Rose Tico says, returning Star Wars to its key theme and (regrettably more so recently) not just one for kids, "That's how we're gonna win, not fighting what we hate, but saving what we love."

Covering religion (including literally burning its own), war, nationalism, hate, comradeship and love, it even has its own resurrection. It may be wrapped in a two and half hour cuddly toy action figure advertisement, but it's not entirely kids stuff.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 18th December 2017 at 05:57.

Blog Entries
    I liked… mainly because the cute furry muppet reminded me of my dog Baxter…

if that makes anyone feel any better about about either their view of the film (having seen it) or their intention to go and see it, then I’ve done my good deed for the day…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn8 View Post

I think you missed the point there if you're talking about the kid with the sweeping brush?
    He didn't have any special powers, the way he turned his brush around to hold as a weapon (light-sabre maybe?) was a reference to a new generation of "The Rebellion" being forged through oppression, and galvanised by the sacrifice Luke Skywalker made.

At least that's my take on it.

Our tickets for boxing day are £5.50p for the 2.5 hour film.
    For that price, I expect we will get our £2/hour moneys worth OK.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I think you missed the point there if you're talking about the kid with the sweeping brush?
    He didn't have any special powers, the way he turned his brush around to hold as a weapon (light-sabre maybe?) was a reference to a new generation of "The Rebellion" being forged through oppression, and galvanised by the sacrifice Luke Skywalker made.

At least that's my take on it.
    I thought he moved the brush without touching it...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post

He did...the whole point was that he reached for the broom and it came to him.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    He did...the whole point was that he reached for the broom and it came to him.
    I agree, hence my reply to the previous post suggesting the whole point was there was a next generation of rebels. Yes, but rebels with untapped / untrained force powers...

Last edited by Crazytrain; 18th December 2017 at 14:57.

Master
    I'll definitely need to re-watch it then, that's news to me if he did and I'm struggling to see the significance.

Master
    If possible can anyone revealing actual plot lines please head their post with *spoilers* or such like. Some people probably won't watch this until January

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    If possible can anyone revealing actual plot lines please head their post with *spoilers* or such like. Some people probably won't watch this until January
    Alternatively, don't click on a thread dedicated to discussion of a movie you don't want spoiled. C'mon man.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I'll definitely need to re-watch it then, that's news to me if he did and I'm struggling to see the significance.
    It's a young boy. In a Star Wars movie. Wielding a power he doesn't understand.

I'd bet my left nut we see that kid again.

**** SPOILERS ***

>
    >
    >

Watched it today. Unfortunately times have changed since Star Wars and - especially with the onslaught of the Marvel Universe- the SW's Universe has tried to adapt to meet the modern times. This means it's lost it's purity and the historical story has become blurred. Powers have become cartoon super powers away from the spiritual element of the force.

I agree with previous comments about some of the puerile jokes and General Hux. Ade Edmondson just annoyed me throughout the film rolling his eyes and it was amazing to see so many British actors relegated to being extras.

Times have changed and so have I. This will be the last SW's film I actually want to go and see. When Luke presented a hologram of himself I thought "what a load of old bollox". It was pure Loki. The fight even had a bit of Matrix (Neo) in there.

Luke saying that this was the start of the war had me imagining a senior Disney corporate fembot insisting that line be in the script as a message of starting the whole sorry mess again away from Lucas.

However, Snoke was outstanding.

Kellie Marie Tran was fantastic.

Benicio's character explaining the sale of arms to both sides a brilliant viewpoint.

John Boyega just did an impression of Chris Pratt.

Carrie Fisher could barely mumble.

Adam Driver deserves an Oscar for his performance. He was just stunning in every way and owned the film completely.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 18th December 2017 at 16:23.