closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AJ vs Usyk

Master

AJ vs Usyk

Couldn’t see a thread about this but I know there are some boxing fans on here. I have been really looking forward to this fight (20th August) since the first one.

Really interested to see if AJ can pull something out of the bag but I honestly doubt it. Usyk is a superb fighter and completely dominated the last fight. From what I have seen he has bulked up some and seems in superb shape and is looking really dangerous. I never really rated AJ and will also be interested to see what happens to his career if/when he loses.

Anyone else have any thoughts/looking forward to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Shall not be buying a pay per view for this. Hopefully there will be a pub showing it.

I really can’t call a result though. On one hand AJ in theory has the size, bulk, strength and punching power to see him off by wearing him down and using the jab. But he seemed to have left that in the changing room last time.

Then Usyk, as you say, has bulked up and will probably be in even better, read dangerous, shape than the first fight. He will also have an even better plan than last time. The guy is an incredible boxer and I don’t see him losing it.

Not an AJ fan so it’s Usyk for me (better in just about every department apart from self promotion).
    I’m off to the WilliamHill app to check out the odds but whatever they are I’m having a flutter on usyk with the K.O.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Shall not be buying a pay per view for this. Hopefully there will be a pub showing it.

I really can’t call a result though. On one hand AJ in theory has the size, bulk, strength and punching power to see him off by wearing him down and using the jab. But he seemed to have left that in the changing room last time.

Then Usyk, as you say, has bulked up and will probably be in even better, read dangerous, shape than the first fight. He will also have an even better plan than last time. The guy is an incredible boxer and I don’t see him losing it.

AJ has always had a terrible jab, I can't see him taking back the crown. Usyk is just a far more complete boxer.

Now if you were to swap AJ for Fury in your post, I would 100% agree. He has everything and more than either AJ or Usyk.... besides visible abs haha!

Its very hard to tell in boxing because 2nd fights can sometimes be very different from the first and a lot has happened since then like the War and AJ bringing in that Mexican trainer to help.

Usyk does seem to have beefed up and i imagine that is because he wants try and KO him this time.

If i had to bet then i would put it on Usyk to win but you never know, AJ might put on the best show of his life on the night and get a stoppage win.
    He cant win on points and i think he will go for the kill this time or try at least.

Craftsman
    Can't see AJ overcoming him, I think Usyk is a superior fighter and it will show. I expect a win by KO.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

You could always vpn to Ukraine and watch it for free on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Its very hard to tell in boxing because 2nd fights can sometimes be very different from the first and a lot has happened since then like the War and AJ bringing in that Mexican trainer to help.

Usyk does seem to have beefed up and i imagine that is because he wants try and KO him this time.

If i had to bet then i would put it on Usyk to win but you never know, AJ might put on the best show of his life on the night and get a stoppage win.
    He cant win on points and i think he will go for the kill this time or try at least.
    If Usyk puts on too much size it could result in his gas tank being reduced to a point where it makes him a sitting duck for AJ, hopefully, that won't happen.

Heavyweights like AJ always have a puncher's chance, all it takes is one or two full connections and it'll require a resurrection like Fury pulled off vs Wilder.

Blog Entries
    Really keen to see this one. My take is that AJ has a great chance as he was rubbish last time. Still don't understand his tactics.

AJ needs to rough him up and lean on him and try and catch him with some big shots in the first four rounds. Otherwise Usyk will stop him late.

Really like Usyk but I rewatched the Chisora fight and I didn't have much between them. Derek was unlucky and made Usyk really uncomfortable for the first 5 or so rounds.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Usyk bulking up may hinder his mobility and stamina, plus he could lose his explosiveness. AJ was massive for their previous fight and it did seem to make him appear more sluggish.

I thought AJ was too light and small in the first fight. He needs to be big for this fight. If he jabs and clinches he might have a chance. Usyk's bigger mass might hinder him if the fight goes deep. It's certainly be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Usyk bulking up may hinder his mobility and stamina, plus he could lose his explosiveness. AJ was massive for their previous fight and it did seem to make him appear more sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I thought AJ was too light and small in the first fight. He needs to be big for this fight. If he jabs and clinches he might have a chance. Usyk's bigger mass might hinder him if the fight goes deep. It's certainly be interesting.
    Yeah I think he was about 240lbs which is light for AJ, I've seen him weigh in at circa 255lbs before.

Master
    I am assuming he dropped in weight to try and sort out his gassing issue (which I am not sure he did) so if he bulks back up I am not sure it will help him. Also it doesn’t necessarily follow that if you are heavier you will have a bigger punch. Mike Tyson was about 218 lbs (and fairly short) in his prime and could hit like a train. They say speed and accuracy beats power.

IMO I think the bottom line is that AJ was never really all that good, he was a poster boy who had a strong right hand but as soon as he got out under any pressure he crumbled. I don’t think he will beat Usyk and I don’t think he could beat Fury either.

If Fury/Usyk happens that could be very interesting!!

Another fight I'd like to see (co-main?) would be AJ vs Deontay Wilder.

Craftsman
    AJ blows lots of hot air. He reminds me a bit of Frank B in physique, too muscle bound and can't slip, bob or weave but by golly Frank had tremendous guts and pride. Sadly this guys got neither. Would love to see Fury AJ at some time soon, just to shut him up and send him in to retirement to spend his false earned millions

A little harsh maybe? Getting in a ring with massive blokes who are trying to knock you out is hardly false earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    AJ blows lots of hot air. He reminds me a bit of Frank B in physique, too muscle bound and can't slip, bob or weave but by golly Frank had tremendous guts and pride. Sadly this guys got neither. Would love to see Fury AJ at some time soon, just to shut him up and send him in to retirement to spend his false earned millions

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Bruno was a very good heavyweight boxer, he was trashing Lewis until he got caught and made a good account of himself when fighting Tyson at the height of his powers.

I think he deserves far more respect and was one of the only big voices to consistently back Fury before he made it to the big time.

Master
    AJ far too slow to trouble Usyk of he tries to box or remains gun shy; his only chance is to make it a fight, use his natural size and let his hands go.
    Fury beats both of them for me, I think he toys with AJ unless he gets lucky and catches him, whereas Usyk could make it a difficult fight but Fury's extra size and jab win it for him.
    What the heavyweight division wouldn't give for another Mike Tyson or a few decent genuine heavyweights who could box and bang.
    AJ v Wilder is probably the closest/best fight out there, almost guaranteed ko one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I hope we never see Wilder again, an incredibly sore loser and a liar making up stories of cheating that dont exist. Good riddance to the guy

Master
    AJs career has been meticulously managed. For a while it really looked like a fight between him and Fury would be the grail of heavy weight boxing. Now, any notion he is Fury’s equal is laughable and looking back it always has been. Even if we didn’t realise it at the time.

Never the less, he’s over achieved and due to Hearn he is rich beyond anyones wildest dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    AJs career has been meticulously managed. For a while it really looked like a fight between him and Fury would be the grail of heavy weight boxing. Now, any notion he is Fury’s equal is laughable and looking back it always has been. Even if we didn’t realise it at the time.

Never the less, he’s over achieved and due to Hearn he is rich beyond anyones wildest dreams
    Agreed, I always thought the Fury vs AJ fight would never happen.

Lewis lost in similar ways to AJ but the difference in skill level is frightening.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

Wilder would knock the cr## out of AJ.

Interesting seeing all the media reporting on AJ having to jump on Usyk, force the fight etc etc. They seem to forget AJ gasses very quickly (all that muscle needs O2) and his jab is woeful, all I can see is a Usyk victory, hopefully a KO and then AJ can trot off into the distance to enjoy his money...

Why is everyone running scared of the gypsy king?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

obvious id have thought. he beats all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    obvious id have thought. he beats all of them.
    I think if Usyk beats AJ convincingly, he might have the balls to take on Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I think if Usyk beats AJ convincingly, he might have the balls to take on Fury.
    Too late. Fury is retired ;)))))))

I think if you throw enough cash/titles at him, he'll be back in there like a shot and part of the reason for his retirement was AJ continually ducking him/Wilder.

He wont last long retired, he will get himself into a war of words with someone and low and behold there will be another fight on

Craftsman
    Once a fighter always a fighter, Fury will box again and he’s never taken a beating as such so no psychological worries, no glass chin or easily cut so happy days for Fury for now

Master

Whilst I believe Fury to be no 1 right now, and have grown to like him,, he's fought far fewer top ranked fighters than he could have in a time where there's been a dearth of top class heavyweights hence he'll never be seen as an all time great.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Whilst I believe Fury to be no 1 right now, and have grown to like him,, he's fought far fewer top ranked fighters than he could have in a time where there's been a dearth of top class heavyweights hence he'll never be seen as an all time great.
    I think he's just not been active enough. If he had been fighting 4+ times a year and was still undefeated come retirement, he's in the conversation for the top 10 heavyweights. It is a travesty that AJ and Fury never got to fight before AJ was found out.

One thing is for sure, they'll be showing that clip of him coming back from the dead to win vs Wilder for many years to come.

I think he's just not been active enough. If he had been fighting 4+ times a year and was still undefeated come retirement, he's in the conversation for the top 10 heavyweights. It is a travesty that AJ and Fury never got to fight before AJ was found out.

One thing is for sure, they'll be showing that clip of him coming back from the dead to win vs Wilder for many years to come.
    Fury would have lost that fight in the UK, the Ref would wave waved him off over here.

Hell a UK Ref waved off Vargas without ever being knocked down, taking a knee or even a blood nose lol. It just looked like he was getting a beating. Fury looked like he was knocked out cold.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Fury would have lost that fight in the UK, the Ref would wave waved him off over here.

Hell a UK Ref waved off Vargas without ever being knocked down, taking a knee or even a blood nose lol. It just looked like he was getting a beating. Fury looked like he was knocked out cold.
    Yeah, I could see that happening, there have been far worse calls in boxing particularly in the UFC.

I'm lumping a cheeky bet on Usyk to win by majority decision @16/1, think thats a great price tbf...

AJ has the tools, size and boxing attributes to beat Usyk inside six rounds. However, he has to believe that he can do that and with AJ it's always what's in his head.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Calm down, Manny Steward….

It was a draw.

If Joshua try’s to outbox him like he did last time the result will be the same
    Joshua needs to be aggressive from the off and impose Himself every round. But I don’t think
    He will.

As Spencer Oliver said today, he needs to treat it as a six round fight and impose himself from the off.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    If Joshua try’s to outbox him like he did last time the result will be the same
    Joshua needs to be aggressive from the off and impose Himself every round. But I don’t think
    He will.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Calm down, Manny Steward….

It was a draw.
    There was no way it was a draw! In my mind Fury always won that fight, total robbery.

There was no way it was a draw! In my mind Fury always won that fight, total robbery.
    But he didn’t.

Master
    AJ has the tools, size and boxing attributes to beat Usyk inside six rounds. However, he has to believe that he can do that and with AJ it's always what's in his head.
    Not sure any of that is true……

People in the fight game do so….

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Not sure any of that is true……

People in the fight game do so….
    I think they have to hype the fight so people will watch. I would agree that physically AJ has everything that but in terms of skills, he's lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Lennox never lost in similar ways to AJ. He never got outclassed over 12 rounds of boxing. His two defeats came via huge right hands. The McCall fight was stopped prematurely as well. Of course he avenged both defeats so he retired after beating every man he ever faced.
    Lennox categorically lost to lower tier fighters, that is what I meant by similar. I commented on skill because that is the difference in how they lost. I wasn't talking about Usyk.

Bruno was taking Lewis apart until he caught him with a good shot, but that's heavyweight boxing.

Just seen the weigh-in.

They are close to the same as fight 1.

People were saying Usyk had put on 15KG lol

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Not the fight I saw and two of the judges had it level. Lennox was well below par that night but still got the job done.
    I don't think you watched the fight.

https://boxrec.com/wiki/index.php/Le...s._Frank_Bruno

In the eyes of many ringside observers, Bruno was still well ahead after six rounds. Of course, the judges disagreed, which seems to be the WBC fashion these days. What could they have been watching? After Round 6, Adrian Morgan, a Welshman, had Bruno ahead 59-55, as did SI. But the two Americans, Jerry Roth and Tony Castellano, had scored it 57-57 to that point. That would have made it a majority draw—the outrageous outcome of last month's Pernell Whitaker-Julio Cesar Chavez WBC encounter, in which Whitaker was the clear winner.

EDIT: No idea why people don't rate Bruno, he was a great boxer.
    Last edited by Kitsan; 19th August 2022 at 16:07.

Master
    Callum Smith fight was really good. Great finish !

Awesome undercard so far

Grand Master
    Usky to win in 7th would be nice
    RIAC