closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega X-33 Gen 1.5

Master

Omega X-33 Gen 1.5

Regular visitors might remember I have a thing for interesting quartz watches and early digitals in particular (http://mmcmusings.com/2015/03/29/my-...tage-digitals/). And no, that isn't a contradiction in terms - at least, not to me. I've parted with a couple of 1977 Omega LCDs recently, including this one that went as a trade for an X-33:

I've wanted an X-33 for a while now, so when PreacherCain offered me his as a trade for the Constellation I was delighted.

It arrived on the titanium bracelet. Beautifully made thing too. But I can't really do bracelets as I write for a living, so spend a lot of time keyboard-bashing.

There are two versions of this first X-33 - Gen 1 (ref. 3290.50.00) and Gen 2 (ref. 3291.50.00). Mine's slightly different though - it's a Gen 1.5:

The Gen 1 had a non-thermocompensated movement as well as a standard, horizontally-ridged crown. It also had a bright, polished bezel and polished stainless pushers. The Gen 2 has a brushed bezel and pushers and the newer thermo quartz cal. 1666C movement.

The Gen 1 had a few issues with the crown being hard to use (you push/pull for various functions) and collapsing into the watch case.

So mine has the cal. 1666C movement and the circumferentially-ridged crown from the Gen 2, but the bezel and pushers from the Gen 1. For my money, the best combination:

I've taken it off the bracelet (have you ever tried to shift those link pins?!) and put it on a Page & Cooper rubber strap:

And it's rapidly become the daily wearer:

They're super watches. Robust, an alarm that would wake the dead (designed so you could hear it on a Space Shuttle flight deck - where, clearly, I spend a lot of time), properly bright at night and very, very useful. I'm using the mission timer as a third timezone to track an overseas client, the second timezone for a Hong Kong client and the countdown timer stops me yapping too much in presentations.

Last edited by MMC; 6th August 2015 at 12:02.

That looks great Mark, could be the perfect travel watch?

I hope to try an X-33 one day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That looks great Mark, could be the perfect travel watch?

I hope to try an X-33 one day.

I think this one just edges the Aerospace out - I struggle sometimes to hear the alarm on that one. No such worries on the Omega!

Journeyman
    Very nice....Enjoy !

One of my all time favourites. My Gen 1 had the new movement fitted earlier this year and the accuracy is now superb. Always think the X-33 is a potential one watch solution (if there is such a thing for us ) - the lack of decent WR being one of the few drawbacks. I have considered it but just have not had the guts to try it while swimming!

Nice, but to clarify the GEN2 originally did not come on a 1666 TC movement. That 1666C movement has been known to be substituted to the 1666A (1666B is the America's Cup version with no hands) during full services performed in or after 2012.

EDIT - sorry, deleted my previous post from my smartphone, so reposting it from my PC ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Nice, but to clarify the GEN2 originally did not come on a 1666 TC movement. That 1666C movement has been known to be substituted to the 1666A (1666B is the America's Cup version with no hands) during full services performed in or after 2012.

EDIT - sorry, deleted my previous post from my smartphone, so reposting it from my PC ;-)
    Learned something there - thank you!

And good to know it wasn't an echo ;-)

Blog Entries
    Great watch. I only sold my gen2 because of getting a Skywalker X-33. But the original X-33 will always be the classic version.

Congratulations - it's a watch I couldn't do without even if I only actually wear it when I'm travelling. If you're ever thinking of shifting the bracelet let me know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Congratulations - it's a watch I couldn't do without even if I only actually wear it when I'm travelling. If you're ever thinking of shifting the bracelet let me know.
    Thanks, C-B - will do. I've always liked 'em but had no idea they were so useful practically. Daft thing to say about a watch!

Glad you're enjoying it, Mark - the practicality is absolutely fantastic and I have to say, I miss it. That said, I finally managed to be within striking distance of the sorting office this morning so I could pick up the Constellation that we traded, and I love it!

A new version X-33 Skywalker is definitely on my "to try" list...