closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rise of Skywalker

Looking forward to this one!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    thanks for the heads-up!

Menno

Master
    Wasn’t really looking forward to this but when I hear that music I’m 12 again and excited.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palpatine?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Palpatine?
    Certainly sounds like him!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Certainly sounds like him!
    At the launch publicity event this afternoon Ian McDarmiad walked on stage after the trailer was played, so certainly looks like he is back.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    At the launch publicity event this afternoon Ian McDarmiad walked on stage after the trailer was played, so certainly looks like he is back.
    Got to be better then that completely waste of time Snoke

I think that, after the second film, and given Kylo Rens complete lack of menace, they've had to inject the end of the trilogy with something recognisable and genuinely developed.

I like this trailer in spite of myself. There's a chance that the Skywalker saga could end in a dignified way after all.

And Landos back!!!! But where's R2??????!!!!!!!

Don't get your (new) hopes up. You know it's going to be "meh" like the last one.

Master
    Utter bilge.

The first 20minutes of Star Wars is more Epic and entertaining than anything they’ve managed since in the prequels and later sequels.

“Rise of Skywalker” makes no sense. Luke was already a legend. Seems like a u-turn on trying to trash the previous mythology which rebounded so badly after. Which Skywalker is rising ? Kylo ? Leia ? Dead Luke but not really ?

Bringing back Palpatine is so lame. Turning Kylo Into a good guy is so lame. Bringing back older characters like Lando at this point is so lame. I don’t think there is a single character in the new films with an ounce of cool. They are like infantile fanboy Youtube vids with bigger budgets.

Rogue One was better and less goofy than anything else they came up with but its creakingly slow until the last third.

Solo had a terrible performance from the main lead but at least the rest of the cast pulled it up ( Woody Harrelson especially) and the story was reasonably entertaining as it avoided the pondering stuffiness of overplayed gravitas the new ones have ( coupled with moments of squirmingly embarrassing goofball comedy jammed in at random).

I really am done with the new films at this stage. I have higher hopes for the Disney web series. I think Star Wars will find its feet again there.

Watch the battle of Hoth in Empire or the sabre duel between Vader and Luke to discover everything wrong with the new movies. They feel like they put all the bad stuff in the edit and left out the good bits.

Journeyman
    I am looking forward to this .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Utter bilge.

The first 20minutes of Star Wars is more Epic and entertaining than anything they’ve managed since in the prequels and later sequels.

“Rise of Skywalker” makes no sense. Luke was already a legend. Seems like a u-turn on trying to trash the previous mythology which rebounded so badly after. Which Skywalker is rising ? Kylo ? Leia ? Dead Luke but not really ?

Bringing back Palpatine is so lame. Turning Kylo Into a good guy is so lame. Bringing back older characters like Lando at this point is so lame. I don’t think there is a single character in the new films with an ounce of cool. They are like infantile fanboy Youtube vids with bigger budgets.

Rogue One was better and less goofy than anything else they came up with but its creakingly slow until the last third.

Solo had a terrible performance from the main lead but at least the rest of the cast pulled it up ( Woody Harrelson especially) and the story was reasonably entertaining as it avoided the pondering stuffiness of overplayed gravitas the new ones have ( coupled with moments of squirmingly embarrassing goofball comedy jammed in at random).

I really am done with the new films at this stage. I have higher hopes for the Disney web series. I think Star Wars will find its feet again there.

Watch the battle of Hoth in Empire or the sabre duel between Vader and Luke to discover everything wrong with the new movies. They feel like they put all the bad stuff in the edit and left out the good bits.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you going to watch the new one or not...? : )

I think you're overanalysing it, just sit back and enjoy the (upcoming) show.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spoiler alert. Rey is Luke's daughter.

Luke, the I'm your daughter!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

The title is clever because it contains plenty of ambiguity- the obvious being Rey is Luke’s daughter, but it could also refer to Kylo Ren, Luke himself, Vader, or any combination of the above or even the whole House of Skywalker.

The final line says “nobody is ever really gone...”, so pretty much anything could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Utter bilge.

I agree that the OT is better but I think that’s because it’s that one I grew up with. Your points are valid but we are looking through a different lens to a new generation. My kids love the OT but only because I’ve indoctrinated them, given the choice they normally choose TFA or Solo! Those of us that grew up in the 70s and 80s have a tendency to overanalyse I think. I’ll be watching this and looking forward to it but it won’t ever compare to the magic I felt as a child. 😊

I am a big Star Wars fan, loved the original trilogy but sadly The Last Jedi was a dreadful movie. And not because it ‘didn’t live up to my fan boy ideals’ but because it was just plain dreadful as a movie. Flying Leia, Luke’s milky drink, magic disappearing dice, Kylo’s moobs, the slowest space race ever, the silly ‘bombers’ at the beginning - it was absolutely abominal. Most of the footage in this new trailer probably won’t even appear in the movie - another desert planet, magic Rey with her immaculate make-up, emo Kylo, another toy opportunity/friend for BB8 and no doubt a bit of lens flare. No doubt I’ll still go see it, but not expecting much as you can probably tell. I’m firmly in the camp of ‘enjoyed TLJ = not a Star Wars fan’!!

Blog Entries
    The best we can hope for is Palpatine to resurface and kill off the entire cast.that would be the most fitting thing to this trilogy. Either that or it will be the ghost of Palpatine Vs the ghost of yoda

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    The best we can hope for is Palpatine to resurface and kill off the entire cast.that would be the most fitting thing to this trilogy. Either that or it will be the ghost of Palpatine Vs the ghost of yoda

I think you’re being unfair, this trilogy is a massive step up from the trilogy that must not be named!

Some bad vibes chaps!.

Taking it in the round, this will be judged on it's showing - I have some negatives about a couple of the previous ones but hey, it's looming and I am sure I will enjoy it in my own way.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I think you’re being unfair, this trilogy is a massive step up from the trilogy that must not be named!
    Don't get me wrong , I should of excluded Rogue One as it felt like a decent star wars film. I feel like FA and LJ as mentioned were YouTube fan films on a whole bigger budget.

I watched force awakens and couldn't be bothered watching the end really but I did. The same for Last jedi. They had no staying power. Rogue one was much better.

The trilogy that must not be named I personally think we're better than the two I've no time for. They had some awful characters such as jar jar Bink's but had Palpatine, Darth maul and seemed more fun than these revivals.

Last edited by bond; 13th April 2019 at 20:31.

The Last Jedi makes The Phantom Menace look like The Godfather!

It will probably be a pile of trash but who cares, I'll be first in line with a bag of popcorn to see this and any other variation of the timeline in the future

The Rise of Skywalker

A couple of people have used the word “overanalyse”, which I am now going to analyse.

It’s a value judgement being made against someone, and I see it all the time as a response to a well-reasoned and presented argument.

In debating, this would be called “ad hominem” (to the man). It criticises the person making the argument, not the argument itself. It’s quite an embarrassing thing to be seen to be doing, and in some cases serves as an admission that you have no answer to the point being made.

I would urge people, before they accuse someone of “overthinking” or “overanalysing”, to consider what authority they have to make such a value judgement against another person. The prefix “over” is, in this case, a qualitative assessment of another person’s thinking, i.e: “I judge that you expend more time and effort on your thoughts and analysis than I deem suitable or necessary.”

I put it to you, ladies and gentleman, that it is a far better reflection on one’s character to instead present one’s own counter argument, or to simply have the grace to commend one’s opponent on the quality of the points they have made.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Kylo Rens complete lack of menace
    Adam Driver seems to be a decent and versatile actor, so I don't think it's his fault (unlike Hayden Christensen's wooden Annie).

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    A couple of people have used the word “overanalyse”, which I am now going to analyse.

It’s a value judgement being made against someone, and I see it all the time as a response to a well-reasoned and presented argument.

In debating, this would be called “ad hominem” (to the man). It criticises the person making the argument, not the argument itself. It’s quite an embarrassing thing to be seen to be doing, and in some cases serves as an admission that you have no answer to the point being made.

I would urge people, before they accuse someone of “overthinking” or “overanalysing”, to consider what authority they have to make such a value judgement against another person. The prefix “over” is, in this case, a qualitative assessment of another person’s thinking, i.e: “I judge that you expend more time and effort on your thoughts and analysis than I deem suitable or necessary.”

I put it to you, ladies and gentleman, that it is a far better reflection on one’s character to instead present one’s own counter argument, or to simply have the grace to commend one’s opponent on the quality of the points they have made.
    I think you’re overanalysing the overanalysing 😂

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Adam Driver seems to be a decent and versatile actor, so I don't think it's his fault (unlike Hayden Christensen's wooden Annie).
    Adam Driver did a really good TED Talk about finding acting after being forced to leave the US Marines due to injury. It’s here: https://youtu.be/nCwwVjPNloY

I don’t think Christensen’s performance was all his fault either. He had a bad script and there just wasn’t a good way to deliver some of those lines.

“I hate sand.”

Master
    Blog Entries
    He should never have taken off his mask - he was a cool villain until then!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I agree - Emo Ren felt a lot less menacing without his mask; but Adam Driver is such a good actor that he would be wasted with it. Intriguing to see the mask being mended...

I don’t think Christensen’s performance was all his fault either. He had a bad script and there just wasn’t a good way to deliver some of those lines.

“I hate sand.”
    Only when I watched the prequels again did I really appreciate just how awful the writing was. No actor alive would have managed to do anything with some of those lines and a green screen. Though I'd have loved to see Daniel Day Lewis delivering some of the Anakin - Obi Wan dialogue...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I agree - Emo Ren felt a lot less menacing without his mask; but Adam Driver is such a good actor that he would be wasted with it. Intriguing to see the mask being mended...
    On another note Darth Maul was prob the best thing about the prequel trilogy and once again wasted after being killed off in the first film.

Am I alone in thinking that Revenge of the Sith is actually pretty good?

And Attack of the Clones is perfectly watchable?

I watched the second trilogy again a few months ago. Although granted The Phantom Menace is terrible.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I watched the second trilogy again a few months ago. Although granted The Phantom Menace is terrible.
    I totally agree. Episode III is my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I totally agree. Episode III is my favourite.
    😳😳

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have flashbacks of Vader doing that terrible “Noooooooooooo”

If im honest the last 30 mins of the prequel trilogy was what I was waiting for but sadly it was all bit too late and I think the CGI (which was stunning back then, now looks cartoonish)

Rogue One was more for me - the finale with Vader gave me chills!!!

Blog Entries
    Adam Driver did a really good TED Talk about finding acting after being forced to leave the US Marines due to injury. It’s here: https://youtu.be/nCwwVjPNloY
    Thanks for that. I watched it. Good story here. But, as an actor, he understands how to deliver a story.

I never was a Driver fan. When I see him acting, I always think that he's the wrong actor for that role. No matter what movie. When I see him in front of that audience, with this 'flair', I think he is being cast for the wrong type of movies until now. In the case of Kylo Ren, it should have been an actor with a British accent like Nicholas Hoult. I think that his version of a tormented villain would have topped Driver's.

Adam Driver is excellent in Logan Lucky.

Blog Entries
    Agreed, that was his best. But he was under par (imho) in Blackkklansman.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th April 2019 at 21:39.

I’d tend to agree. My 18 year old loves ROTS, he had lots of Lego and toys after he saw it when he was little. Sad thing about the cgi is it represents a real triumph for ILM but hasn’t aged well - without the leaps in effects afterwards you’d have no marvel franchise etc

Rogue One was more for me - the finale with Vader gave me chills!!!
    Yes yes yes + Felicity Jones 😍

Master

Totally agree with you. Unfortunately this type of interaction is becoming more prevalent these days.

A few years ago most people seemed to regard “ad hominem” responses to discussion as being so juvenile that it usually didn’t happen.

Master
    This can be even worse than TPM for all I care, it's Star Wars therefore I will love it. Sad but true.

Very interesting viewpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7u16Vw-OnA

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Don't get me wrong , I should of excluded Rogue One as it felt like a decent star wars film. I feel like FA and LJ as mentioned were YouTube fan films on a whole bigger budget.

I watched force awakens and couldn't be bothered watching the end really but I did. The same for Last jedi. They had no staying power. Rogue one was much better.

The trilogy that must not be named I personally think we're better than the two I've no time for. They had some awful characters such as jar jar Bink's but had Palpatine, Darth maul and seemed more fun than these revivals.

Agree with that.

I almost walked out of the last one, dreadful film, the casino scene almost tipped me.over the edge, I wish I had left.

A 20th Anniversary Celebration thing just popped up on my YouTube feed. I can’t believe it’s been 20 years!

You won’t want a link to that, but if you haven’t seen Mr Plinkett’s reviews they are entertaining https://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI

If it's not Drivers fault, then whose fault is it?
    His voice is non-menacing. His delivery is non-menacing and his face is incredibly non-menacing.

He can't even blame the script - none of the star wars films have had consistently strong lines, it's always been about the overall story, themes and atmosphere coupled with the occasional brilliant delivery.

I'd say ok villain until then... but, you're right, the minute his soft**se sulky face came into sight the menace he previously had... such as it was... vanished entirely.

My expectations are not very high, but looking forward to seeing it.