closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calibre 3130 Movement Rattle

Calibre 3130 Movement Rattle

I have noticed a rattle as if something is loose in side on a recently purchased AirKing 14000m. I don't recall hearing it on other watches I have owned with the same calibre 3130 movement although could be wrong.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what it could be?

Blog Entries
    I don’t recall my 3130 having much noise, not even the rotor - unlike the 323x with rotor ball bearings.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

3130 is usually pretty smooth.

I've had 2x issues with the auto wind mechanism. Needed a rotor axle (just checked the paperwork).

Wasn't noisy buy you could feel it vibrating a bit.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk
    Last edited by farquare; 18th June 2022 at 19:24.

Thanks, I will drop it back to the dealer to investigate as its covered under warranty for 2 years.

Master
    Chances are it's a worn rotor axle. It's an almost consumable part in these movements and easy enough to replace for a watchmaker with the correct tools, but when they wear down the tiny metal fragments can contaminate the rest of the movement and cause wear on other parts, so I'd be asking for a full service to be performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Chances are it's a worn rotor axle. It's an almost consumable part in these movements and easy enough to replace for a watchmaker with the correct tools, but when they wear down the tiny metal fragments can contaminate the rest of the movement and cause wear on other parts, so I'd be asking for a full service to be performed.
    Thank you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    This is correct, notorious week spot unfortunately with the 31xx movements. Wonder if the previous owner played golf wearing it

My watch guy showed me parts he has in stock, the axle itself is absolutely tiny. In his experience movements from mid 2000s watches are more prone to it, largely eradicated now with the ball-bearings in the 32xx series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to update the post.

I spoke to the dealer today and the issue has been diagnosed as a misaligned hairspring. The part will be replaced under warranty plus they will also carry out a full movement service on the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Just to update the post.

I spoke to the dealer today and the issue has been diagnosed as a misaligned hairspring. The part will be replaced under warranty plus they will also carry out a full movement service on the watch.
    A misaligned hairspring does not make a rattling noise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    A misaligned hairspring does not make a rattling noise.
    Doesn't really matter (or shouldn't matter). If the watch is going to be competently serviced then the rotor issue should be sorted out anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Doesn't really matter (or shouldn't matter). If the watch is going to be competently serviced then the rotor issue should be sorted out anyway...
    As you say it doesn’t really matter now as the watch is having a full service plus there was a tiny pin prick chip on the crystal and that’s also being replaced. I have had it confined that only genuine Rolex parts will be used as well.

I can’t complain at all with the after sales support.

Grand Master

Far too charitable. To be brutally honest the dealer sold you a watch that had a fault and I find it hard to believe the seller didn't know this. You then get fobbed off with a totally implausible explanation (hairspring....) which is an insult. How you can still remain positive regarding the seller is beyond me, he’s sold you a dodgy watch then lied to you!

Sadly, many dealers try to make maximum profit on every watch, they’ll give a warranty and hope nothing goes wrong, they do the bare minimum to service and prepare a watch for sale. It’s unfair to tar then all with the same brush, there are exceptions, but as a generalisation this is correct.

I hope this turns out well, my advice is to get this watch checked thoroughly by a reputable third party when it’s returned.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Far too charitable. To be brutally honest the dealer sold you a watch that had a fault and I find it hard to believe the seller didn't know this. You then get fobbed off with a totally implausible explanation (hairspring....) which is an insult. How you can still remain positive regarding the seller is beyond me, he’s sold you a dodgy watch then lied to you!

Sadly, many dealers try to make maximum profit on every watch, they’ll give a warranty and hope nothing goes wrong, they do the bare minimum to service and prepare a watch for sale. It’s unfair to tar then all with the same brush, there are exceptions, but as a generalisation this is correct.

I hope this turns out well, my advice is to get this watch checked thoroughly by a reputable third party when it’s returned.
    While I would have preferred not to return the watch under warranty and any issues identified were repaired prior to selling it, I am remaining positive as the dealer is rectifying the problems. I will also receive back a fully serviced watch and do not have to worry about a service for a number of years, so am happy with the outcome.

Speaking with the dealer today they have given me a breakdown of the work that will be completed.

Replacement of balance wheel due to end rattle.
    Hair spring re-centred.
    Replacement sapphire crystal.
    Full movement overhaul/ service.
    Clean, lubricate all movement components, replacement of gaskets and seals and pressure test.

To be honest once caught in a lie -based off WW’s post above- I would not put any trust on the fact that a service has now been performed.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    To be honest once caught in a lie -based off WW’s post above- I would not put any trust on the fact that a service has now been performed.
    I guess its possible but I cannot see why the after sales team would lie about the job sheet submitted by the watchmaker. Plus it will come with a 2 year warranty so covered for that period.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    This is correct, notorious week spot unfortunately with the 31xx movements. Wonder if the previous owner played golf wearing it

My watch guy showed me parts he has in stock, the axle itself is absolutely tiny. In his experience movements from mid 2000s watches are more prone to it, largely eradicated now with the ball-bearings in the 32xx series.

Interesting to know. I’ll not wear mine on the golf course. I hope swimming is ok ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Interesting to know. I’ll not wear mine on the golf course. I hope swimming is ok ?
    Playing golf wearing a Rolex is definitely not recommended, the shock knackers the rotor axle apparently.

Playing golf wearing a Rolex is definitely not recommended, the shock knackers the rotor axle apparently.

Any evidence. By and large watches are supposed to safe while golfing.
    I haven’t personally heard of any mishaps and know of many golfers who have been wearing Rolex and other mechanical watches without problems for years. Rolex website says it is perfectly safe and that is the opinion on the internet.
    Would love to know if it is otherwise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I haven’t personally heard of any mishaps and know of many golfers who have been wearing Rolex and other mechanical watches without problems for years. Rolex website says it is perfectly safe and that is the opinion on the internet.
    Anecdotally from the guy I use for servicing.

While golfing in a Rolex might be perfectly safe, with a number of those he’s fixed, golfing has been a common pastime. As a part that wears in the course of everyday use, perhaps golfing exacerbates this wear ?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As you say it doesn’t really matter now as the watch is having a full service plus there was a tiny pin prick chip on the crystal and that’s also being replaced. I have had it confined that only genuine Rolex parts will be used as well.

Are they a Rolex approved service agent?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master

I don't believe this, when swinging a golf club the watch will be subjected to acceleration force but that doesn`t equate to shock. Strongly suspect this is a myth.

Rotor axles wear out through prolonged wear with inadequate lubrication. The wear rate will depend how active the wearer is and whether the watch is used on a daily basis. Storing on a winder won't help.

I much prefer rotors which incorporate a ball race such as the ETA 2892 and 2824, they stand up to wear a lot better. Wear in the rotor bush is one weakness with the old Omega 550/560 movements, the axle doesn`t wear but the bush in the rotor does. Earlier Omegas (500) suffered from broken rotor axles if the watch got a hard shock.

My advice is to get any watch serviced after 5-7 years if it's a regular wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Are they a Rolex approved service agent?
    Its WF so no but they have advised for Rolex repairs/ services they use a accredited Rolex watch repairer.

I do remember a few years ago while in Russell Talerman there was a big box of watches on the bench marked “Watchfinder” so it could be them.

Master
    Anecdotally I'd definitely say golf buggers up a watch.
    First noticed it with an IWC pilot I had which had to go in for service aftrer started golfing with it on.
    Last year my 16600 which I had been wearing golfing a few times started to go on timing after being serviced just over 2 yrs before,
    This tear a 16610 started to gain time on me after I played a few games of golf so it's now in for a service too.
    There is definitely a shock factor when playing golf as when you hit a shot (especially short iron)the club head can basically stop instantly as it hits into the ground at impact so claiming it's a constant force is nonsense.
    Obviously my 3 examples proves nothing and until this time I was of the belief that Rolex were bombproof however I have no desire for another to be visiting the service department anytime soon so it will remain in the bag from here on in.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Well it didn’t turn great in the end. The watch was repaired promptly and in the short time I had it back running excellent.

The crystal was also replaced as promised but turned out to be an aftermarket non original crystal. WF acknowledged they had fitted an aftermarket part to the watch after I raised concerns and offered to replace it and offer a further discount on the price.

I rejected the offer and returned the watch for a refund which I have now received. I was very surprised a company owned by the Richemont group would even consider using aftermarket parts without declaring it first!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Anecdotally I'd definitely say golf buggers up a watch.
    First noticed it with an IWC pilot I had which had to go in for service aftrer started golfing with it on.
    Last year my 16600 which I had been wearing golfing a few times started to go on timing after being serviced just over 2 yrs before,
    This tear a 16610 started to gain time on me after I played a few games of golf so it's now in for a service too.
    There is definitely a shock factor when playing golf as when you hit a shot (especially short iron)the club head can basically stop instantly as it hits into the ground at impact so claiming it's a constant force is nonsense.
    Obviously my 3 examples proves nothing and until this time I was of the belief that Rolex were bombproof however I have no desire for another to be visiting the service department anytime soon so it will remain in the bag from here on in.
    Endo banjaxed his 16600 shooting clays IIRC and had to get it serviced.

Well it didn’t turn great in the end. The watch was repaired promptly and in the short time I had it back running excellent.

The crystal was also replaced as promised but turned out to be an aftermarket non original crystal. WF acknowledged they had fitted an aftermarket part to the watch after I raised concerns and offered to replace it and offer a further discount on the price.

I rejected the offer and returned the watch for a refund which I have now received. I was very surprised a company owned by the Richemont group would even consider using aftermarket parts without declaring it first!
    I'd raise a complaint with Head Office. If you hadn't noticed and took it to be serviced at Rolex years down the line they'd tear you a new bank balance sized hole to replace it, and what other parts are AM? Shady practice but then WF are known for it. Stealing bracelet links to sell on? Shysters.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I suspect that the urban myth about playing golf is as a result of this being a situation in which wear is likely to be noticed as it certainly will get a rotor to spin - but a spinning rotor is no issue for a watch within its service period. In this case, we are clearly in 'Fake Barn County' as Rolex are actually saying something true! Mind you, the other urban myth: that Rolex can go decades without servicing, probably doesn't help.
    Last edited by M4tt; 20th July 2022 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'd raise a complaint with Head Office. If you hadn't noticed and took it to be serviced at Rolex years down the line they'd tear you a new bank balance sized hole to replace it, and what other parts are AM? Shady practice but then WF are known for it. Stealing bracelet links to sell on? Shysters.
    I wasn't impressed at all and as you say what other parts may have been after market. The watch is also back up for sale and I would guess the crystal hasn't been swapped for a OEM part.

Blog Entries

Thats’s such a shame - but not surprising from WF (sadly). I’ve had mixed experiences with them - one watch was DOA that I was going to buy. Others have been perfect.