closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Craftsman
    Trying this again with the aid of Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Superb and looking good. How did you find the dough mix??

Pitch

Craftsman
    I found it really good Pitch. Really easy to work and very little spring back once shaped. The rim was nice and airy once cooked too. Like yourself I would like to try a sourdough base at some point so. I might have a crack at making a starter this week.

Master
    Knocked up a couple last night with the last of the weekends dough.

It still amazes me how the little unni oven works so well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Whilst on dough, something else to try.

I knocked a dal up last night for dinner and these flat breads are perfect to dip.

I use 3 desert spoons of self raising flour three natural yogurt and half a a teaspoon of salt. Bang it all together, add more flour if the mix is really sticky but don't make to dry. Split and roll out really thin on a floured surface and cook in a dry frying pan on a 3/4 heat. Nice to finish with a bit of brushed warm butter.

Pitch

Tried this tonight, used 50:50 wholemeal rye & strong wholemeal. Think it might of been a touch wet as it stuck like sh!t to a blanket when rolling out. Fell back to the old roll it out between cling film trick. Added some garlic purée and chopped chilli to the mix too but lost the flavours so will add them to butter next time.

Just fired the sous vide for tomorrows pulled pork.

Excuse my ignorance here but have never tried proving dough in a fridge. Presumably it doesn't rise much (if at all), how does it change, what's going on?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Excellent, thanks!

where would you recommend buying a pizza oven? i assume it is purchased in kit-form and built and cured on site?

Running through some ideas for our back garden and keep coming back to the idea of a pizza oven.

http://www.woodfired-pizza-oven.co.uk

Bought mine from here. It's a kerb side pallet delivery but if you have an easy to access drive they'll take it there. You can use an engine hoist to lift into place or 5 builders and two scaffold poles like I did!

Weighs 450kg. It's not in kit form.
    Last edited by eagletower; 22nd May 2018 at 19:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Trying this again with the aid of Tapatalk

Looks great how was the gas compared to the pellets?
    I’ve added the larger S3 fire box to mine but maybe I should have got the gas instead

Blog Entries
    Some wonder pic's and tips chaps, lets keep this going its so much fun.

Regards purchasing, I just nabbed mine off eBay about four years ago and there was not that many around, its gone mad with supply since then.

I am going to give some sourdough ago so will keep you all posted.

Ciao

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know it's cheating but has anyone tried a grill top oven yet? They were for sale at Costco and I was considering one. Basically, rather than using its own heat source, it sits on a BBQ, (or gas hob) and heats the stone that way.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I know it's cheating but has anyone tried a grill top oven yet? They were for sale at Costco and I was considering one. Basically, rather than using its own heat source, it sits on a BBQ, (or gas hob) and heats the stone that way.
    Not sure it is cheating but not sure anybody who has eaten one of my pizza's could tell the difference - very pleased with mine. Bought it as a trial oven to see if i could be bothered making dough etc with a plan to move to a 'proper' oven - i don't think i'll upgrade now!

Craftsman
    We had friends over last night to watch the football and made pizza to go with it. No pictures unfortunately but they went down a treat.

It was breezy last night and I think the gas struggled to keep the temperature up as a result due to the door being off the oven but they still cooked through albeit they took about 30 seconds longer.

The only slight downside was someone wanting an egg on theirs and being too vigorous when sliding the pizza off the peel which resulted in the egg ending up on the pizza stone!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    Not sure it is cheating but not sure anybody who has eaten one of my pizza's could tell the difference - very pleased with mine. Bought it as a trial oven to see if i could be bothered making dough etc with a plan to move to a 'proper' oven - i don't think i'll upgrade now!
    I did have one for me took ages to get up to temp

Master
    I’ve just made a couple using a variation of my normal dough. Same as this but without the oil.
    It’s unnis classic dough

500g ( 4 cups) Type ’00’ flour or strong white
    300g (300 ml / 10.5 oz / 1⅓ cups) water
    20g (1 tbsp) olive oil
    10g (2 tsp) salt
    7g dry yeast

(This gives me four 180g balls and ~150g ball for garlic bread.

Slow proved for four days in the fridge, left covered for a hour and a half to warm up, split into balls and left on a floured tray covered with a tea towel to finish proving for a couple of hours.

Still got a skin on the exposed dough, not as easy to work and a drier more crispy crust.

Back to oil with the next batch I think.

Anybody have a good gluten free recipe to share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally after nearly 2yrs of ownership I set this up and used it for the first time

Need to play around with the dough as was a bit sticky. The first one stuck to the paddle but second attempt just coated in flour and was ok.

Definite trial and error but pleased enough with my first ever go! Very tasty.

Master
    Some tips I've found with my mk 2 Unni.

I find that the unni peels are no good for loading the pizza but great for turning/removing, I got a wooden one from amazon and no more sticking.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Love-Pas...den+pizza+peel

If you give the pizza a shake after adding a topping or two to keep it moving, that helps prevent the stick. a mix of polenta flour and 00 works well on the peel for me.

Not sure what version unni they started to ship a fire guard?

Its a L shaped piece of SS that between the pellet basket and stone that pushes the flames over the back edge of the pizza and prevents the back edge from cremating. If you don't have one you can buy some SS L angle in short lengths from Ebay and trim to size with a hack-saw in about five mins. (need to measure up size)

Think home made version of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2mm-Bru...item1a1e031dde

Loading the hopper, I brought a Kilnner jam funnel that fits the pellet tube and makes loading much easier.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilner-Stai...rds=jam+funnel

Keep the pellet hopper closed, if you don't the air draw is wrong and it plays up. I use the chimney cap on my jam funnel for this.

I let mine warm up for 20-30 mins on the top hopper setting and then lower to mid point when almost ready to cook.

For pellets I now buy Balcas Brites at £4 for 10 kg, not the unni ones at £18 for 10kg.
    I find no difference but leave people to do there own research on this re 'food grade' pellets vs boiler pellets.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 29th May 2018 at 08:55. Reason: Pellets

Master
    Some tips I've found with my mk 2 Unni.

I find that the unni peels are no good for loading the pizza but great for turning/removing, I got a wooden one from amazon and no more sticking.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Love-Pas...den+pizza+peel

If you give the pizza a shake after adding a topping or two to keep it moving, that helps prevent the stick. a mix of polenta flour and 00 works well on the peel for me.

Not sure what version unni they started to ship a fire guard?

Its a L shaped piece of SS that between the pellet basket and stone that pushes the flames over the back edge of the pizza and prevents the back edge from cremating. If you don't have one you can buy some SS L angle in short lengths from Ebay and trim to size with a hack-saw in about five mins. (need to measure up size)

Think home made version of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2mm-Bru...item1a1e031dde

Loading the hopper, I brought a Kilnner jam funnel that fits the pellet tube and makes loading much easier.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilner-Stai...rds=jam+funnel

Keep the pellet hopper closed, if you don't the air draw is wrong and it plays up. I use the chimney cap on my jam funnel for this.

I let mine warm up for 20-30 mins on the top hopper setting and then lower to mid point when almost ready to cook.

For pellets I now buy Balcas Brites at £4 for 10 kg, not the unni ones at £18 for 10kg.
    I find no difference but leave people to do there own research on this re 'food grade' pellets vs boiler pellets.
    Some good tips thanks
    I have the S3 hopper on mine but contemplating adding the gas
    Ill check mine for the flame guard
    too

Master
    Paul this thread, the uuni one last year and going round my mates house for proper homemade pizzas has meant i can’t resist any longer, so just ordered a uuni. If as I suspect we love it, we’ll get one built like yours next year.

Trial and error to come I’m guessing but I’ll take on all the great tips here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone experience of cooking pizzas in a Weber kettle BBQ? I quite fancy the versatility but want to make sure the pizza option works well...

TIA

Jon

With regards to dough - has anyone tried the two ingredient recipe? I’ve been making flatbread with self raising and natural yoghurt and wonder if it would work for a pizza base?

Master
    I’ve been playing with Pitch’s advice to add semolina flour with mixed results.

Works better with cold proving I think.

Now using the pizzapp + app to make dough, this was tonight’s 90/10 00/semolina @ 70% hydration 3h room temp / 24h in fridge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Paul this thread, the uuni one last year and going round my mates house for proper homemade pizzas has meant i can’t resist any longer, so just ordered a uuni. If as I suspect we love it, we’ll get one built like yours next year.

Trial and error to come I’m guessing but I’ll take on all the great tips here.
    It’s grear fun Stephen and my BBQ has been used maybe once since the oven was dropped in years ago.

Mine came fully built, just used an engine hoist to get it in place.

Enjoy

Pitch

Master
    Just found these ovens an wondered if anyone else had heard of them?

The largest one will do two 10-12” pizzas or two roasting tins at a time

https://www.thepizzaovenshop.com/igneus-pizza-oven/
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 29th June 2018 at 08:42. Reason: Size matters

Master
    It’s grear fun Stephen and my BBQ has been used maybe once since the oven was dropped in years ago.

Mine came fully built, just used an engine hoist to get it in place.

Enjoy

Pitch
    Arrived this morning so had a go Paul and wow they were amazing! My colleague has one so he came over and showed me the ropes. Only used a basic sauce and cheese so will experiment a bit over the weekend and add a few toppings.

Can see how this will be addictive.

I had dough left over which I then stored wrapped in the freezer. Is it best left in the fridge for 24 hours for defrosting and then remove an hour before using?

Master
    Where do people get their pellets from? Can’t see a bag lasting very long.

Master
    Balcas brites

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/

£9.50 30kg

Master
    Roccbox out tonight, first time this year, shame on me. 72 hr cold ferment dough gives a decent base and then various things on top. On board temperature gauge showed a variation from 400c which is fine to about 370 which I feel is a little cool but this was he first time I've used it outside unsheltered. Its surprising the difference a little wind seems to make. The prevailing weather usually means I use it inside but next to a stable door for ventilation. Cooked fine mind and the first slice is always great. Need a few friend round to make firing it up worth while.
    Cool enough to pick up and put away about 90 mins later.
    So until the next time.

Blog Entries
    Any cheating allowed? Any idiot proof ready mix pizza dough that I can prove quickly and use?

Getting organised the day before is always a faff for me...

Blog Entries
    You can do it on the day Hunky easy. Speak to Uncle Paul.

Had the kids round today and at three hours notice

Blog Entries
    You can do it on the day Hunky easy. Speak to Uncle Paul.

Had the kids round today and at three hours notice
    ]
    How much notice do I need to give?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I followed a Jamie Oliver recipe today. About an hour prep to ready. Nice and easy. I did leave a lot longer than that but can cook after the hour. Reduced ingredients by half just as didnt want to do too much. Made 4 large balls and got 3 pizzas from 2 balls and froze the others.

400g 00 flour
    100g semolina
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    1 packet (7g) yeast
    1/2 teaspoon salt

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...s/basic-pizza/

Blog Entries
    6 months generally, but now you have Madderz nine.

Master
    Any cheating allowed? Any idiot proof ready mix pizza dough that I can prove quickly and use?

https://appadvice.com/app/pizzapp/1228158792

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I followed a Jamie Oliver recipe today. About an hour prep to ready. Nice and easy. I did leave a lot longer than that but can cook after the hour. Reduced ingredients by half just as didnt want to do too much. Made 4 large balls and got 3 pizzas from 2 balls and froze the others.

400g 00 flour
    100g semolina
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    1 packet (7g) yeast
    1/2 teaspoon salt

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...s/basic-pizza/
    Ta…. I need to order some semolina flour

6 months generally, but now you have Madderz nine.
    See you April Paul! Me and Dave are coming!

There really is an App for everything!!!

Craftsman

I bought a box of these at the weekend:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...riginal-2x220g

Will give them a bash on Saturday and report back as to the quality.

On BBC Food website there is a recipe for pizza using raising flour and yoghurt with preparation time being 30 minutes. The recipe is by Lisa Faulkner.

I am using the recipe by Patrick Ryan which uses strong white flour but have adding yeast to warm water first is better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    I bought a box of these at the weekend:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...riginal-2x220g

Will give them a bash on Saturday and report back as to the quality.
    Let us know how you get on! Looks like my level of hassle…. Although the Senwar option looked ok too

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    On BBC Food website there is a recipe for pizza using raising flour and yoghurt with preparation time being 30 minutes. The recipe is by Lisa Faulkner.

I am using the recipe by Patrick Ryan which uses strong white flour but have adding yeast to warm water first is better.
    So the Lisa Faulkner option is best…?

Looks easy enough http://www.lisafaulkner.co.uk/recipe...gherita-pizza/

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Has anyone experience of cooking pizzas in a Weber kettle BBQ? I quite fancy the versatility but want to make sure the pizza option works well...

TIA

Jon
    I make pizza on mine. It works very well. No complaints from me or the wife.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I make pizza on mine. It works very well. No complaints from me or the wife.

pics

I've been toying with the idea of getting one too and they do look good but does it take long to get to temp between pizzas (and what about opening up to check progress)?

Master
    Balcas brites

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/

£9.50 30kg
    Cheers I bought some of these and they cooked the pizzas just fine. Don’t Kiowa if it’s my imagination it do these burn far quicker? I seem to have gone through quite a bit more than when I used the uuni ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of getting one too and they do look good but does it take long to get to temp between pizzas (and what about opening up to check progress)?
    It's easy enough. Light the coals in a chimney, 15 minutes to light. Spread around the bottom of the BBQ, place in the pizza stone and 10 minutes later you're good to go.

I don't check my pizza. I just give it 4 to 5 minutes and then wip them out. If you want it more cooked, just add another minute next time.

Sure lifting the lid lets out heat, however the pizza stone retains heat. Taking the lid off to check or switch to another pizza doesn't really affect the cooking/temperature.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Cheers I bought some of these and they cooked the pizzas just fine. Don’t Kiowa if it’s my imagination it do these burn far quicker? I seem to have gone through quite a bit more than when I used the uuni ones.
    Possibly they are softwood and uuni ones are hardwood, still considerably cheaper even with a higher consumption.

Blog Entries
    I have a load round tonight so a very busy night batching last night.. I think I will hit 20 tonight, 'Pitch Pizzeria' will be in full swing.

Master
    8-10 tomorrow to feed in my little uuni from 12:30 and get to the pub for 2 to get a spot for the game, i’ll be balling up around 9am.

What are the odds I’ll make it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post

TIA

Jon
    I found the best results were having one of the charcoal holders (small side baskets for offset cooking) on the main grill helped with top temps.

I was finding that the base was cooking ahead of the topping & cheese melting. A few briquettes up top helped balance it out.

Never did buy the Weber pizza accessory though, tempting as it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk