closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTSC - State of the Seiko Collection

Blog Entries

SOTSC - State of the Seiko Collection

In a recently started thread (http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...all-own-Rolex) I lightheartedly threatened to post my Seikos and was encouraged to do so by Velorum - so blame him for this

Here's the bottom drawer of my watch box, exclusively devoted to the products of that one overarching Japanese watchmaker.

It's only a quick (but hopefully not too dirty) phone camera shot by natural light. If anyone's interest is piqued I can post pics of individual watches.

Top row, L to R:

SKX007, modded hands and dial, flat sapphire, on a WJean shark mesh. This is not one of my mods, it was acquired from a local diving enthusiast who was clearing out his excess divers. I was told that it was a creation of someone who had started by modding Seikos and then developed their own brand. I don't think it was Jake Bordeau, any ideas who else fits this description?

SKX007, modded by me with dial from Dagaz and hands from Yobokies, to see what a mini-Spork recreation could look like. The hand set included a Sinn-style second hand, but it was too heavy and dominated the dial. I think the hand that's on there looks a little more Sporkish in balance. On an eBay anvil bracelet. I got the original watch from TZUK member Roondog (Hi Roondog!) via SC. Later I sent him a pic of the present watch. "Mark, you modded my watch????!!!!!" was roughly the response

SKX171, unmodded, on Yobokies oyster bracelet with Seiko clasp. I always intended to swap in a domed sapphire and a 007 bezel, both of which are sitting in my parts box. But somehow it never happened.

Black monster, original version, untouched.

Orange monster, original version, untouched.

Bottom row, L to R:

SKX009, modded to hell and most of the way back again. I bought this as a battered S/H 009 to learn modding skills. I replaced the dial, crystal, bezel insert, hands, and fully brushed the case, which is why it looks so dull in the pic. Along the way the dial was swapped for a different orange one, a fresh set of 007 hands, chapter ring, and bezel insert were installed.

Phillipine 7002 fully restored with all new parts, from a Filipino restorer. On random eBay shark mesh.

Seiko 5 Sport SNGZ15, the watch that got me back into collecting Seikos. Damn the thing all to hell. On one of Eddie's NATOs with bead blasted rings to match the watch.

Spork, on standard Spork bracelet. I could only find the watch on the rubber, but I was lucky with the bracelet because Harold/Yobokies had a couple left in stock. If Seiko would make this with a hacking movement, bevelled sapphire crystal, and machined clasp on the bracelet, it would be near perfect. I keep hoping. As it is, this will be one of the last to go.

SKA509 Kinetic Sportura on original bracelet. The only diving watch in the Sportura line, and for a long time the only diver that Seiko put a sapphire in. The dial is endlessly fascinating. With the Spork, this will be one of the very last to go. The diver extension on the titanium (why?) clasp makes the bracelet handily adjustable for hot weather.

These watches are all eminently in the affordable category (well under $1000 each, some much nearer $100), but all are very pleasant to wear, easy to read, decently waterproof, and nearly all have almost impossibly good lume (barring the 7002). The SNGZ15 has woken me up in the middle of the night when I brought the watch too close to my face in my sleep.

Hope that at least the Seiko fans among you have enjoyed this, and hopefully a some others who aren't yet Seiko fans. It's also my hope that others on the forum who have modest collections will feel encouraged to post them too.
    Last edited by seffrican; 7th November 2016 at 13:10.

You need one without lume...
    Maybe a SARB065?

Master
    You can't beat the Monsters for the the value for money factor, great watches.
    How come the Seiko 55 Fathoms mod is not there yet??

Top left 007 looks well on that mesh strap. I like that a lot, might try one on my Tuna...

Excellent post Mark and a really interesting collection of Seikos.

Apart from anything else it really demonstrates what you can do using the SKX 007/009 case and movement as a base.

At one stage I was up to 8 Seikos (3 first generation Monsters, 7002, SKX009, Sawtooth, Flightmaster and an early Seiko 5). I sold the lot to move into Breitling ownership (including selling my Yao Yellow Monster to MakeColdplayHistory on this thread - hello!).

After a lengthy spell, I've recently got back into Seiko ownership with the acquisition of a PADI turtle re-issue and a black & gold Mini Tuna. Just too good to resist!

I really like your SPORK btw...

Simon

Nice.

So many potential additions though:
    Sumo
    Samuria
    Turtle re-edition
    MM300
    Grand Seiko

to name just a few.

I've had a few SKX based mods in my time too.

This is is my current one

Last edited by andy tims; 7th November 2016 at 15:07.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    You need one without lume...
    Maybe a SARB065?
    A Seiko with no lume? Heresy, I tell you.

I have looked at the SARBs mayn times over the years, but none of them ever clicked with me, and they are a little small for my size - I mostly wear 42mm or 44mm, occasionally go down to 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    You can't beat the Monsters for the the value for money factor, great watches.
    How come the Seiko 55 Fathoms mod is not there yet??
    I'm not keen on the 55 fathoms, if it looks like a dive watch I should feel OK about taking it in the water, and 100m WR isn't enough for that. Although the SNGZ15 shown has been pretty wet many times with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Top left 007 looks well on that mesh strap. I like that a lot, might try one on my Tuna...
    That's the shiny shark mesh from WJean. Even in my crappy photo you can see that the one on the 7002 is duller, more like a brushed finish.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Excellent post Mark and a really interesting collection of Seikos.

Apart from anything else it really demonstrates what you can do using the SKX 007/009 case and movement as a base.

At one stage I was up to 8 Seikos (3 first generation Monsters, 7002, SKX009, Sawtooth, Flightmaster and an early Seiko 5). I sold the lot to move into Breitling ownership (including selling my Yao Yellow Monster to MakeColdplayHistory on this thread - hello!).

After a lengthy spell, I've recently got back into Seiko ownership with the acquisition of a PADI turtle re-issue and a black & gold Mini Tuna. Just too good to resist!

I really like your SPORK btw...

Simon
    Thanks for your kind words, Simon.

When you mentioned Bill Yao it triggered my recollection of the guy I couldn't recall when writing the OP. The one at top left is a Bill Yao mod, from before he started MkII. Thank you for that!

Glad you like the Spork - it was a lucky find for me, since I grew to like them rather slowly, and by the time I bought it it was the last one on amazon.co.uk, and I had to have it shipped to a friend in Cambridge (seller wouldn't ship to Switzerland) so I only got to pick it up several months later.

I didn't mention this in my OP, but Seikos are rarely seen in Switzerland, so when I wear them I am often asked about my watch and what it is. I was once at a business lunch with several POs and IWCs around the table, and it was the SKA509 that was being passed around and exciting curiosity as being out of the ordinary.

Master
    Nice collection, makes me miss my Black Monster. I sold it far too cheaply.

Nice collection Mark

I've had probably 7 or 8 SKX007/9/13, some of which were modded (by me) and some left as OEM.

Ultimately, I find them uncomfortable to wear on anything other than a NATO due to the crown guard, so none of them stayed.

Having said that, I have a 009 which has never been worn. I just feel like every collection should have one.

The Black Bay (red) is a nice mod to consider

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    The SKX779 was the watch that kicked off the whole watch malarkey for me, every now and again I think about replacing it though I haven't yet. I wouldn't get the more recent version, I'd seek out a direct replacement.

OP - Jake B is the most well known Seiko modder though Alex at Artifice Horoworks has got some followers, could it be his SKX that you refer to?

Craftsman
    Nice bunch. Makes me miss my Monsters too.

Are you looking at adding to the collection? The SNZH53 might fit in nicely.

Master
    What's your opinion of the Spork? I love my Orange Monster and a little hit and miss on my BFK. I wondered what your feelings were regarding the Spork

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Nice.

So many potential additions though:
    Sumo
    Samuria
    Turtle re-edition
    MM300
    Grand Seiko
    Handsome mod there, Andy. Personally I don't find that the cushion case Seikos attract me, the Sumos look out of proportion to me (maybe why they get flipped so much), GS I find mostly too elegant for my proletarian tastes, and the MM300 has too many deal breakers for me.

I did think seriously about a Stargate more than once, but the coloured ring on the crown always put me off. And the SKA509 does the stargate thing even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Nice collection Mark

I've had probably 7 or 8 SKX007/9/13, some of which were modded (by me) and some left as OEM.

Ultimately, I find them uncomfortable to wear on anything other than a NATO due to the crown guard, so none of them stayed.

Having said that, I have a 009 which has never been worn. I just feel like every collection should have one.

The Black Bay (red) is a nice mod to consider
    Hi Ed! TBH I think I'm done modding Seikos, I moved on from there to building 6497/8 type watches - although I stopped because I have too many cluttering up the place now.

I tend to agree with you that everyone should have a 007/9 because it's such a total classic, and so very affordable. I don't find them uncomfortable, although I find the two on the bottom right are worn more than the others put together these days.

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    I think it would be hard to improve on the original BM's design, which Seiko kind of proved by making the new Monsters not as good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The SKX779 was the watch that kicked off the whole watch malarkey for me, every now and again I think about replacing it though I haven't yet. I wouldn't get the more recent version, I'd seek out a direct replacement.

OP - Jake B is the most well known Seiko modder though Alex at Artifice Horoworks has got some followers, could it be his SKX that you refer to?
    I'm in agreement with you, the original is the best.

As I said in the OP, it wasn't Jake. One of the responses above made me realise it was Bill Yao.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Nice bunch. Makes me miss my Monsters too.

Are you looking at adding to the collection? The SNZH53 might fit in nicely.
    I don't think any more will be added any time soon - as you see, the drawer is full, LOL.

A more rational person than I would instead be working out how to get rid of at least eight or nine of those shown

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    What's your opinion of the Spork? I love my Orange Monster and a little hit and miss on my BFK. I wondered what your feelings were regarding the Spork
    The Spork is special. I put it best in the OP, where I said that I would love to see Seiko perfect it, and that it would be one of the last to go.

Master
    Love the spork - nice collection :)

Glad that you decided to post this!

Thats a great selection you have there. When I was going through one of my Seiko phases I modded a 5 and a 7002 with part from Harold (Yobokies).

As regards their dive watches I has an SKX013 for a while and found this a much better size. I would have kept it but for the day/date function which drives me to distraction.

Why not add a dressier style to the collection - a SARB033/035 perhaps?

Nice little collection there - thanks for sharing!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely collection. Good to see another Spork fan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Love the spork - nice collection :)
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Nice little collection there - thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Thanks. I'm clearly not as big a Spork fan as you are, obviously! In fact, who is?????

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Glad that you decided to post this!

Thats a great selection you have there. When I was going through one of my Seiko phases I modded a 5 and a 7002 with part from Harold (Yobokies).

As regards their dive watches I has an SKX013 for a while and found this a much better size. I would have kept it but for the day/date function which drives me to distraction.

Why not add a dressier style to the collection - a SARB033/035 perhaps?
    Thanks, Velo. I agree with you that the day and date on the SKX range is actually a downside, just date would make them quicker to set and go.

Never seen a SKX013 in life, I assume it's pretty much the same build quality only smaller. As I said, I stick to the 42-44mm range mostly, 7.5" flattish wrist means the under-40s hae a lot of extra wrist showing.

The SARBs still just leave me with a feeling of "meh". The Alpinist intrigued me for a while, but it would need to have the gold accents replaced with silver and be over 40mm for me to consider it seriously. I guess my main issue with the "smarter" SARBs is that they are competing in a price bracket where there are a lot of other options including respectable Swiss makers and other Japanese brands.

Its 38mm (excluding crown) and in effect a slightly smaller version on an 007. More wearable but still too big for my taste.

I know what you mean about the SARBS

Its a shame that the only Seiko's that appeal to me these days size wise are some of the GS's - also the only ones that you can get without a date window

Still, if your not stuck on 50's/60's case sizes and dont mind date and/or day windows then the world is your oyster

Master
    I love a good Seiko and you have some really interesting ones, thanks for posting!
    It's funny, I was taking some (rubbish) iPhone pictures of my collection the other day to eventually get round to posting a SOTC and my bottom watch box drawer is full of Seikos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its a shame that the only Seiko's that appeal to me these days size wise are some of the GS's - also the only ones that you can get without a date window
    I like the style and build quality of some of the GS range but I can't get past the awful branding on the dial. Not as off-putting as the Rolex essay but not good either.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
    I love a good Seiko and you have some really interesting ones, thanks for posting!
    It's funny, I was taking some (rubbish) iPhone pictures of my collection the other day to eventually get round to posting a SOTC and my bottom watch box drawer is full of Seikos
    Yeah, how the hell does that just happen?

And thanks :)

Needs more Monsters, IMO. (You can never have too many).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Needs more Monsters, IMO. (You can never have too many).

Gorgeous line-up! You're reminding me why I once thought seriously about getting a Snow Monster made up. Who did yours, Ralphy?

I still regret the opportunity when there was an Alpinist and a Cocktail Time on SC at the same time; could have snapped them both up for the price of a Breitling croc strap.

Bah.

Banned
    Just a small comment on the reliability of the Seiko 5 Sport movement: if you use/waer the watch daily it is not existing 2-3 years life time: then this movement breaks / stops. The only good thing is: Seiko watches with the S5 movement are super cheap so I can afford to replace each 2-3 years for my boy. It is already his 4th one :)

Craftsman
    Nice collection :) my orange monster and spork say hi.

Love my spork, one of my special watches :)

Any interest in exploring the weird and wonderful delights of the recent past? Lots and lots of fun things from the nineties, for example this autoquartz I just saw:

Craftsman
    Great collection.my favourite is the field Watch keep meaning to add one to the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Gorgeous line-up! You're reminding me why I once thought seriously about getting a Snow Monster made up. Who did yours, Ralphy?
    Yobokies.

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/yob...?sort=3&page=1

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Nice. How about you sell me one, since you have five?

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I still regret the opportunity when there was an Alpinist and a Cocktail Time on SC at the same time; could have snapped them both up for the price of a Breitling croc strap.

Bah.
    I have a Cocktail time. It will never be sold as it is so beautiful the pictures don't do it justice and the case is as good as some dearer watches.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    In a recently started thread (http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...all-own-Rolex) I lightheartedly threatened to post my Seikos and was encouraged to do so by Velorum - so blame him for this

Here's the bottom drawer of my watch box, exclusively devoted to the products of that one overarching Japanese watchmaker.

It's only a quick (but hopefully not too dirty) phone camera shot by natural light. If anyone's interest is piqued I can post pics of individual watches.

Top row, L to R:

SKX007, modded hands and dial, flat sapphire, on a WJean shark mesh. This is not one of my mods, it was acquired from a local diving enthusiast who was clearing out his excess divers. I was told that it was a creation of someone who had started by modding Seikos and then developed their own brand. I don't think it was Jake Bordeau, any ideas who else fits this description?

SKX007, modded by me with dial from Dagaz and hands from Yobokies, to see what a mini-Spork recreation could look like. The hand set included a Sinn-style second hand, but it was too heavy and dominated the dial. I think the hand that's on there looks a little more Sporkish in balance. On an eBay anvil bracelet. I got the original watch from TZUK member Roondog (Hi Roondog!) via SC. Later I sent him a pic of the present watch. "Mark, you modded my watch????!!!!!" was roughly the response

SKX171, unmodded, on Yobokies oyster bracelet with Seiko clasp. I always intended to swap in a domed sapphire and a 007 bezel, both of which are sitting in my parts box. But somehow it never happened.

Black monster, original version, untouched.

Orange monster, original version, untouched.

Bottom row, L to R:

SKX009, modded to hell and most of the way back again. I bought this as a battered S/H 009 to learn modding skills. I replaced the dial, crystal, bezel insert, hands, and fully brushed the case, which is why it looks so dull in the pic. Along the way the dial was swapped for a different orange one, a fresh set of 007 hands, chapter ring, and bezel insert were installed.

Phillipine 7002 fully restored with all new parts, from a Filipino restorer. On random eBay shark mesh.

Seiko 5 Sport SNGZ15, the watch that got me back into collecting Seikos. Damn the thing all to hell. On one of Eddie's NATOs with bead blasted rings to match the watch.

Spork, on standard Spork bracelet. I could only find the watch on the rubber, but I was lucky with the bracelet because Harold/Yobokies had a couple left in stock. If Seiko would make this with a hacking movement, bevelled sapphire crystal, and machined clasp on the bracelet, it would be near perfect. I keep hoping. As it is, this will be one of the last to go.

SKA509 Kinetic Sportura on original bracelet. The only diving watch in the Sportura line, and for a long time the only diver that Seiko put a sapphire in. The dial is endlessly fascinating. With the Spork, this will be one of the very last to go. The diver extension on the titanium (why?) clasp makes the bracelet handily adjustable for hot weather.

These watches are all eminently in the affordable category (well under $1000 each, some much nearer $100), but all are very pleasant to wear, easy to read, decently waterproof, and nearly all have almost impossibly good lume (barring the 7002). The SNGZ15 has woken me up in the middle of the night when I brought the watch too close to my face in my sleep.

Hope that at least the Seiko fans among you have enjoyed this, and hopefully a some others who aren't yet Seiko fans. It's also my hope that others on the forum who have modest collections will feel encouraged to post them too.
    The Spork is spectacular

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Nice. How about you sell me one, since you have five?
    I've got more like 8 now.

And no x

;)

Craftsman
    Lovely collection, I'm new to this game but bought a stargate the other month, really happy with it. This modding larky looks interesting, some research needed me thinks! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rafy1 View Post
    Just a small comment on the reliability of the Seiko 5 Sport movement: if you use/waer the watch daily it is not existing 2-3 years life time: then this movement breaks / stops. The only good thing is: Seiko watches with the S5 movement are super cheap so I can afford to replace each 2-3 years for my boy. It is already his 4th one :)
    AFAICT the 7S26 will run for a lot longer than a couple years, but it is true that it's generally simpler and faster to replace the movement than try to service it. As you say, they are very cheap. Sometimes buying a new Seiko 5 is cheaper than trying to source a new movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Nice collection :) my orange monster and spork say hi.

Tell them hi back :)

Love my spork, one of my special watches :)
    The Spork is really something. If I had as many as Dave does, I'd look at modding it into something more.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Any interest in exploring the weird and wonderful delights of the recent past? Lots and lots of fun things from the nineties, for example this autoquartz I just saw:
    Thanks for showing that one, it's both interesting and new to me. Seiko echoed that bezel design in the SNE107 solar diver.

Quote Originally Posted by tritium View Post
    Great collection.my favourite is the field Watch keep meaning to add one to the collection.
    It's a very comfortable watch to wear on a soft NATO, being not very heavy and quite quiet as autos go. In pics it looks like the dial is badly cluttered (well, it is) but in life it's more instantly readable, the clutter seems to recede somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Harold does really nice work, is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    The Spork is spectacular
    As you see, you're not alone in that opinion :)

I've got more like 8 now.
    Do I need to add extra layers of defence around my watch box? it sounds like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Appleshands View Post
    Lovely collection, I'm new to this game but bought a stargate the other month, really happy with it. This modding larky looks interesting, some research needed me thinks! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for the kind comment. The Stargate is a really good looking design, especially if it reminds you of Samantha Carter *sigh* :)

But don't get into modding, it's a black hole and rapidly becomes more expensive each month
    Last edited by seffrican; 9th November 2016 at 15:10. Reason: tyepoe