closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Show us your mountain bike...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I think some of the increase in price is the tech you are paying for. Similar to the enduro/MX market you mention . MX bikes have tech advances like launch control but as a result cost more and more.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agree but still can't get my head round, race tuned engine, suspension, wheels etc against mountain bike which you have to pedal :)

A new chain and casette after 14 years and an extra water battle with a pump. Look at the last picture of the derailleur cogs before I took them off and cleaned them properly. Disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That looks lovely. If you're that far from home I'd want a seat bag with some essentials in. I don't like the 2021 colours for specialized either but couldn't find a 2020 model anywhere. I bought the new Bontrager medium seat bag and would thoroughly recommend.
    Excellent advice and noted. To be honest I’ve been looking for the right bike to get back into riding and I’m in love so far..just need to sort the hard seat as the previous owner had it set up for lightness. (Carbon bars, carbon seat post etc..) first impressions of a 29er having only ever had a 26 wheeler? 29er rolls extremely fast downhill and is actually plenty fast on the straight considering tyre size. I’m out first thing in morning and can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Excellent advice and noted. To be honest I’ve been looking for the right bike to get back into riding and I’m in love so far..just need to sort the hard seat as the previous owner had it set up for lightness. (Carbon bars, carbon seat post etc..) first impressions of a 29er having only ever had a 26 wheeler? 29er rolls extremely fast downhill and is actually plenty fast on the straight considering tyre size. I’m out first thing in morning and can’t wait!

Dont know if you realise but a 29er is virtually the same size as a normal road bike. Thats why it feels so fast. If you fit hybrid/ more road based tyres you will have a flyer. I have fitted Schwalbe City jet 1.5” tyres to my wifes mountain bike and it rolls like a good one, she is impressed how easy it is to pedal at sensible eg 20 kmh average.
    Last edited by higham5; 23rd May 2020 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dont know if you realise but a 29er is virtually the same size as a normal road bike. Thats why it feels so fast. If you fit hybrid/ more road based tyres you will have a flyer. I have fitted Schwalbe City jet 1.5” tyres to my wifes mountain bike and it rolls like a good one, she is impressed how easy it is to pedal at sensible eg 20 kmh average.
    Tyres are my next upgrade. I love urban riding especially around cities..I’m going to investigate what tyres I can put on. From memory I think I’ve currently got 2.1 and 2.3 on at the min..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Tyres are my next upgrade. I love urban riding especially around cities..I’m going to investigate what tyres I can put on. From memory I think I’ve currently got 2.1 and 2.3 on at the min..
    2.1 and 2.3 are mtb standards. As a minimum you could run 1.75 Shwalbe tyres. Pop into a local bike shop with one wheel and ask for some urban tyres. At the most basic level you can up the pressure from 25/30 for an mtb to 50/60 psi for an urban tyre. It will knock minutes off your 26k ride.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    2.1 and 2.3 are mtb standards. As a minimum you could run 1.75 Shwalbe tyres. Pop into a local bike shop with one wheel and ask for some urban tyres. At the most basic level you can up the pressure from 25/30 for an mtb to 50/60 psi for an urban tyre. It will knock minutes off your 26k ride.
    Will do this as soon as is possible! Can’t wait to get some semi slicks on and get the speed up!

It's not a mountain bike, but check out this $4,500 Specialized my 65 year-old best friend just purchased to make easier work of his 50-70 mile rides here in San Diego:

This link might be interesting re tyres - https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ng-bike-tyres/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    It's not a mountain bike, but check out this $4,500 Specialized my 65 year-old best friend just purchased to make easier work of his 50-70 mile rides here in San Diego:

Oh that's nice! The bike is 4700 euros here (nearly $5K). I suppose that bike builders do a great job analyzing their potential clients. This bike is 'Roubaix ready' due to it geometry etc. It's shape makes it also more comfortable for the 'older' clients: the more upright position makes is easier on the shoulders and wrists! Funny thing is that the Paris - Roubaix route is as flat as a pancake - I've never been to SF, but I think that the area is anything but flat!

There's a Specialized Concept store only minutes away from my house. The shop's website is also in English: https://www.stappenbelt.com/gb/ The couple who own the store are really nice people who have the complete Specialized line-up on display.

FWIW: the guy pronouncing 'Roubaix' is way off the correct pronunciation. Try to say it like 'Roub-@' without the 't' of the word 'at'.

Menno

Master

Gteat looking machine. The aerodynamic benefits of the tubing would be diminished if my 14 stones of sweating lard was on the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Master
    Had this for just over a year now. It doesn’t get much heavy abuse and most of the mileage it’s covered has been on road. I have near-smooth road tyres on it throughout the summer. It’s incredibly comfortable to ride.

Master
    My 5 year old was upgraded today and this is what she'd set her heart on

I was then forced to get my bike back on the road

I've realised just how unfit I've become lol maybe I should start looking into ebikes.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I've realised just how unfit I've become lol maybe I should start looking into ebikes.
    Put on some road style tyres and tighten/lock out the suspension. That and simply ploughing through will do the world of difference.

I'm a seriously out of shape big fat guy -- I did 6 miles just over 4 weeks ago and came home in tears pretty much. Now I'm doing 13 miles about 4 times per week and did a 22 mile last weekend (almost broke me) and according to Strava I'm up to just under 200 miles for the month. Just plough on.

Master
    Put on some road style tyres and tighten/lock out the suspension. That and simply ploughing through will do the world of difference.

I'm a seriously out of shape big fat guy -- I did 6 miles just over 4 weeks ago and came home in tears pretty much. Now I'm doing 13 miles about 4 times per week and did a 22 mile last weekend (almost broke me) and according to Strava I'm up to just under 200 miles for the month. Just plough on.
    Lol yeah I did lock the forks out Just years since I’ve ridden of the kids stay keen to get out of a weekend I’ll get fitter, the weekends are all about keeping them entertained and giving my wife a bit of a break she’s the one locked up with them all week lol. Hopefully another ride out tomorrow the 3 and 5 year old can’t be trusted near roads yet so having to load all the bikes in the car to the local park area less than a mile away but there’s no way I’m riding there with 3 kids going separate ways it’s like hearding cats Lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    My 5 year old was upgraded today and this is what she'd set her heart on

That's cool. Since our gyms are closed, I've taken up cycling and walking. One on of my walks heading for the Royal Palace public gardens, I walked by a workshop where they give those GTs a new lease of life! I couldn't find a website, but they have an Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/vintagebikercom/
    Last edited by thieuster; 24th May 2020 at 22:23.

Well done, sounds like your doing really well! I’m only managing one outing a week at the minute, I hope to be up to two fairly soon.

Had this for a few years and still perfect for my needs.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

One of a collection of AMP Research bikes I have, along with numerous others.
    Took it out this afternoon.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    That front fork is a bit bonkers.

Master
    Some nice & diverse cycles on here, no pics but just sold my Specialized stumpjumper & the replacement Cannondale Lefty Carbon habit should be here on Friday.

Current bike – Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Family fleet at Dalby Forest.

In the past:

Santa Cruz Nomad

At Stainburn Forest

Orange Patriot at Dalby Downhill Course:

First Full Suspension Mountain Bike – Marin Rock Springs.

One I finished today (restoration job, re-spray, backend sent to Italy for repair, etc and took for a blast..very quick for a vintage.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Mine at the top of Whinlatter this morning, blooming hot even at 09:00:

Master
    Built this a few years ago for the Norwegian mountains. Fox TALAS 36, Shimano Saint 4-pot ceramic brakes with massive discs, dropper post, Mavic ST's, Maxxis tubless, Trance 5" travel XL frame.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Here are mine... an On*One Parkwood and a Titus El Guapo 29...

Sad to report the El Guapo is now an Ex Guapo after snapping and spitting me off on Thursday evening. 7hours in A&E overnight and 3hours again on Friday and I'm OK but shopping for a new bike.

Master
    Sounds nasty but really glad it’s not a ‘man down’ post!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Sounds nasty but really glad it’s not a ‘man down’ post!
    Yep, it could have been a lot worse. Wounds are healing nicely but I reckon today is 'peak soreness' from the everything hitting the ground hard at speed thing. Ribs are quite hurty but OK unless I sneeze, cough, choke or laugh. You can guess what the kids are trying to make me do.

Anyway... onwards... I've searched the thread for 'Aeris' but anyone got a Bird Aeris AM145? That's looking like a possible replacement.

Master
    Yep, it could have been a lot worse. Wounds are healing nicely but I reckon today is 'peak soreness' from the everything hitting the ground hard at speed thing. Ribs are quite hurty but OK unless I sneeze, cough, choke or laugh. You can guess what the kids are trying to make me do.

Anyway... onwards... I've searched the thread for 'Aeris' but anyone got a Bird Aeris AM145? That's looking like a possible replacement.
    Sorry to hear that mate, not nice been thrown off into the ribs.....been there and know what you mean about the cough😬

Never owned a Bird but they're meant to be excellent bikes. Hope you recover soon👍

Master

Bird Aeris 145 frames are half price on the Bird website at the moment.
    The 145 has been replaced by the Aether, which by all accounts is an excellent bike & great value - very long, low & slack.

Master
    Sad to report the El Guapo is now an Ex Guapo after snapping and spitting me off on Thursday evening. 7hours in A&E overnight and 3hours again on Friday and I'm OK but shopping for a new bike.

Good man , talk about getting back on the horse. Good luck with your search

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A beautiful ride along the River Nene in Peterborough this morning... bizarrely this is less than half a mile away from the very centre of the city and I couldn't see (or hear) another soul.

Not sure what this pirate ship sculpture is all about though. Very strange.

Last edited by amnesia; 1st June 2020 at 11:27.

My Pinnacle Evolution 1.0 Hardtail. Plenty enough for me in the relative flat of Essex.