closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What will Tudor surprise us with at BASEL 2019

Master
    Underwhelming I must say. And pretty ugly from Tudor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Look at the length of the lugs, even if you liked the look of the bezel etc you can’t get past the crazy long lugs
    The case is 42mm, yes? So what will that make the lug to lug?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The case is 42mm, yes? So what will that make the lug to lug?

That looks truly horrible

Journeyman
    Disappointed all round. Such a missed opportunity not putting out a reissue blue snowflake sub. That P01 makes me throw up in my mouth. Maybe there's an audience for it, but it's definitely not me!

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Have you read the Instagram feed comments?

Everyone to a man (or woman) is fucking appalled.

What an abomination. Thoroughly disappointed. What muppets

It’s a huge mistake in this day and age not to listen to your customer base. It’s never been easier to hear what customers want. There’s simply no excuse from brands these days.

Imagine being in Rolex marketing department this morning reading the insta comments. Honestly the Swiss watch industry is deserves to fail, because they’ve no one to blame but themselves.

Tech industry deliver products people didn’t know they needed but now can’t live without. The watch industry seem to be hell bent on delivering products we didn’t want, don’t need and can’t buy.

Maybe they’ll pull it back tomorrow with new and updated Submariners for Tudor and Rolex. The triangle marker dial is still yet to be presented.

Master
    WTAF? POS

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Maybe they’ll pull it back tomorrow with new and updated Submariners for Tudor and Rolex. The triangle marker dial is still yet to be presented.
    Sadly, it's the 12 O'clock of the PO1 dial. Tudor rotated it 90 degrees on their Instagram teaser. The funny thing is they know what we want, and teased that it's coming, then slapped us in the face.

God how badly I want Omega to come out with an incredible range of new releases and throw Rolex/Tudor's arrogance back in their face.

From Hodinkee - wow those lugs!

The Black Bay Chronograph looked all wrong to me when first released, but in person I really warmed to it - I don't see the same happening with the PO1.

And am I missing something - why exactly is a bezel lock system necessary on 12-hour bezel? I get why an elapsed time dive bezel might need to be lockable, for safety reasons, but why is it so crucial that a 12-hour reading is maintained?

I don't know if this has been established as yet, but if you have to take the watch off wrist to unlock & move the bezel, that's a pain.

The lug-to-lug measurement will be brutal for those with small-medium wrists. Chuck in a fugly date position, inability to swap straps (I think), and odd crown placement, and it's a horror show all round. And I say that as a fan of Tudor.

That model number is off-by-4. It really should have been called the P05. Maybe that would have been too obvious. Here's how I imagine the Tudor marketing department meetings over the last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgSORyrcHJo&t=54s

I actually don't completely hate it. I only maybe 90% hate it. It's so bad I've been literally laughing out loud, especially given how comically bad that concept render looks. And when compared to the real thing, it's not even that far off.

I'm not sure which outcome will be funnier: if they do manage to go up in value after the inevitable swift discontinuation and relegation to obscure rarity, or if they are massively popular due to the speculator bubble. Then in 30 years time there are thousands of these sitting in safes, holding roughly the same value as Cabbage Patch Kids.

Master
    I do really love this though

That's more like it.

Is that a thing (the Chrono)? Much better effort!
    I have the SS from Basel ‘18 and it’s one of the nicest watches I’ve owned - oddly enough the photos never quite seem to sum it up well enough, but I love it.
    That Black and Gold looks very nice

What will Tudor surprise us with at BASEL 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I do really love this though

That shot possibly intentionally hides a bit of a slip up with this model... the pushers are gold, the crown is gold, but the signature Tudor extended crown stem is... steel. Find another photo of it, and you’ll see it looks like a mistake.

HOW do professionals constantly make mistakes (across the watch industry) that are picked up by hobbyists within a few minutes of their release?

ETA: I will say it’s a generally good looking watch. Somehow considerably more attractive to me than the original steel one, even though I tend to prefer all-steel watches.

I actually don’t mind it, it’s at least interesting enough for me to want to see it in the metal.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    That shot possibly intentionally hides a bit of a slip up with this model... the pushers are gold, the crown is gold, but the signature Tudor extended crown stem is... steel. Find another photo of it, and you’ll see it looks like a mistake.
    To be fair, that extended crown tube is always a different colour than the crown itself on the BB. It's part of their design language, not a mistake. Personally I don't like these bi-metal variants, but that's not an aspect of it that would bother me in particular.

Apprentice
    The new chrono looks alright and the bronze bb, but that P01 is definitely not going on my radar. Too long, too fugly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

HOW do professionals constantly make mistakes (across the watch industry) that are picked up by hobbyists within a few minutes of their release?

Looks the same colour here

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Looks the same colour here

That it does, but I think that’s just the steel picking up the gold from the pushers and crown.

Image1553095272.745214.jpg

This ^^ was from their website...

I know the Black Bay sometimes has a red colour crown stem to pick up a red bezel, for instance, and it looks fine.

However, on this watch it strikes me as a mis-step to have a solid gold crown and chronograph pushers, but a plain steel crown stem.

If they don’t want to have it in gold, the black crown stem from the three-hand S&G would have been a much better choice given the black bezel.

Like so:

Image1553095530.410825.jpg

Craftsman

From the photos on the Tudor website, the crown tube looks silver on the bracelet version and maybe on the fabric strap, but gold on the one with the bund strap.

Updated : looks different from photo to photo. The tube is definitely silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tsunami; 20th March 2019 at 17:02.

I will freely admit that the chrono’s crown stem is not the biggest issue with Rolex’s Basel 2019

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Have you read the Instagram feed comments?

Everyone to a man (or woman) is ******* appalled.

What an abomination. Thoroughly disappointed. What muppets
    Having looked at the Instagram comments, this feels a bit like watching Titanic, that feeling of witnessing an epic, historic catastrophe unfolding. At least it’s added some amusement to an otherwise very dull show.

I’ve bleeped your language in the quote btw, but frankly who can blame you on this occasion.

And here we were thinking Tudor would be making use of it's new movement with some new sensibly sized BB58 variants. Terrible releases this year from Tudor imo.

I am intrigued by this

Oh dear

Generally underwhelmed by everything from Basel this year, Patek,Rolex,Tag all meh, but Tudor is a spectacular let down. Ken Sato did a homage of the watch the POS is based on a few years and it looked loads better than the dogs dinner Tudor has served up. I seem to remember Tudor’s creative director (who spearheaded the Blackbay and Pelagos release) left a couple of years ago for Mont Blanc, whoever replaced him is clearly not up to the task.

Master
    Not sure what Tudor were thinking. If the prototype never made it into production in the 60s.. Why on earth do they think it would work now??

Having said that I'm sure if they do launch a proper Tudor Sub in the coming years, all will be forgiven!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I am intrigued by this

What do we think to its price point ?
    A little over £4000.00 for the fabric strap and around £4900.00 on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    What do we think to its price point ?
    A little over £4000.00 for the fabric strap and around £4900.00 on the bracelet.
    Only pics so far but I think I would prefer it to Daytona.

Grand Seiko designers seem to be on the same crack come down as the Tudor designers if this is anything to go on

#aarrrggghhhmyeyes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Although I am liking this a lot

Journeyman
    Source for those Seikos?

I think that is they had made the new BRONZE in steel with the BB58 accents, that might have kept people a bit happier. Not sure the bronze fad has much legs left in it.

I guess in the watch business, there is a very long game played. No point in rushing out more BB58 variations if they can't supplied the demand for the first....

A real let down this year overall.
    Last edited by OliverCD; 20th March 2019 at 17:28.

Journeyman
    Which is probably why they've set it at around that price. Does this make it the most expensive watch in their catalogue?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Best looking watch I have seen from the show this year so far. Not sure I would sell the MM300 for it not would it take the place of the want for a MM600 but it’s really up my street.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 20th March 2019 at 17:33.

Master
    Truly bizarre releases here. The strategy seems all over the place...

Craftsman

Falling Star

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Having looked at the Instagram comments, this feels a bit like watching Titanic, that feeling of witnessing an epic, historic catastrophe unfolding. At least it’s added some amusement to an otherwise very dull show.

I’ve bleeped your language in the quote btw, but frankly who can blame you on this occasion.
    It does not take very much for a shining star to lose its sparkle and the star which Tudor has been on for a few years can very easily come falling down with a couple of poor releases and the impact of social media on any brand. Tudor in my opinion have just had a car crash here in Basel 2019 with their releases. Not one of them is going to be high on anyone’s list of purchases this year or any year.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I think that is they had made the new BRONZE in steel with the BB58 accents, that might have kept people a bit happier. Not sure the bronze fad has much legs left in it.

I guess in the watch business, there is a very long game played. No point in rushing out more BB58 variations if they can't supplied the demand for the first....

That ‘Explorer dial’ BB58 would be a favourite of mine.

Grand Seiko designers seem to be on the same crack come down as the Tudor designers if this is anything to go on

#aarrrggghhhmyeyes

Ffs what is going on? That’s it - I’m going to buy an Apple Watch. The watch is dead, long live the watch.

Maybe Tudor need a new ambassador - maybe......

I’m well chuffed. Already have my 58 and no new colours have been released so I’ll save a few grand.

Master
    100%.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post

I really dislike the bronze watches personally and that does look a whole lot nicer, shame.

I still can’t get my head around releasing that P01, baffling me. I keep expecting to read it’s a LE of 10 pieces or something. The metal bezel is not my taste but I’m sure some will love the look which is great, what you can’t get away from is the 54.5mm lug to lug length. I can’t imagine who’s going to want to buy it.

My AD took the liberty of putting me on the list for the new sub. I took the liberty of dropping him a nice email declining the “opportunity”

Craftsman
    What a wast of time waiting for the 2019 models so disappointing
    The po1 i just dont get should be renamed piece of pooh 01
    The s and g chrono looks ok
    The rest no no

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Evening lads...

there is always next year..{lets look on the bright side}

Ernie in Plymouth {about to find a cat to kick}..only joking

This can't be good for brand Tudor. It's been on the ascendancy the past few years, and the halo effect from a few star pieces (the GMT, the BB58, the Pelagos etc.) has lifted its profile and burnished its reputation.

What's been hard won will be easily lost, I fear.

Really like this - can I ask where you saw details of it?

Journeyman
    No need for me to add another post commenting on the shockers. But if I were looking to buy an everyday watch I could at least consider adding the steel and gold Black Bay 36 to the shortlist if not automatically think of it as a must-buy. They have that sort of 80s and 90s vibe which I actually really like. They're akin to the old Air Kings and Datejusts in philosophy and function. What would have swayed me is if they used the in-house movement from the BB58 instead of the ETA derivative they're persisting on. Oh, and also get rid of the stupid extended crown tube that is pure form with no function.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    Really like this - can I ask where you saw details of it?
    Seiko forum on WUS. And yes it's a beauty but I reckon with that SD movement it's going to be £4k+

Craftsman
    Well Tudor and Rolex a complete flop this year? Who'd have thought it? As others have said Tudor was definitely on the up but now maybe that star is starting to fade?
    Do we think they will realise their mistakes,when there is no clamour to get on the new "list "?
    Personally I hope so they have had it good for too long maybe this debacle could be good for all of us in the long run? Or are we a small minority that shout in the dark and nobody needs to listen to us

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    They must be making a killing on that P01, it looks like a Seiko SKX with a few mod parts!!!