closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Virgin Galactic Live Launch with RB onboard. 2pm today.

Virgin Galactic Live Launch with RB onboard. 2pm today.

He’s putting his money where his mouth is.

Must be terrified.

https://www.virgingalactic.com/

Master
    that is true. It has taken 15 plus years. It must have cost a fortune. I wonder how long / if it will ever be able to be a commercial enterprise?

Master
    Now 3:30pm

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Now 3:30pm
    Wimbledon final clash (it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason!)

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    that is true. It has taken 15 plus years. It must have cost a fortune. I wonder how long / if it will ever be able to be a commercial enterprise?
    Wasn’t Branson begging for our cash not so long ago, government bailout? This vanity project must be sore to watch for the thousands he mercilessly let go rather than furloughed.

Utter pap, VG never streamed the takeoff...what’s the point of that?

Seemed to all go like clockwork.

Congratulations to RB and the team, a great achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Utter pap, VG never streamed the takeoff...what’s the point of that?
    It was a peculiar live stream. Maybe they didn't admit to lots of broadcasting technical issues and lots more live action was planned to be viewed?

Master
    Admirable but not heroic, unlike this.....

Felix Baumgartner.

"Red Bull Stratos - Discover the incredible story" https://www.redbull.com/int-en/proje...d-bull-stratos

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Admirable but not heroic, unlike this.....

Felix Baumgartner.

"Red Bull Stratos - Discover the incredible story" https://www.redbull.com/int-en/proje...d-bull-stratos
    Or his hot air balloon trip around the world!

Meh. One Billion dollars and never actually reached proper space.

But fair play, he followed his dream.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Could have gone to Russia and been taken to the edge of space in a Mig 29 Fulcrum for about €20k.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Could have gone to Russia and been taken to the edge of space in a Mig 29 Fulcrum for about €20k.
    Would either of these experiences be worth the money? Personally, unless you are super-rich and can afford the ticket like its a bus fare, I'd say no.

I just watched some of the broadcast...pretty irritating viewing to be honest and felt like a long self-promotion reel. Some bits were cringe inducing...the choreographed Branson pitching up on a road bike, the dreadful pop concert...all very random.

Couldn't get excited about watching a close of up of Branson's face chewing on something whilst that nasal American ladies accent hurt my eardrums.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

I'll agree with the 'Meh'. Obviously all the hoo-hah because it's Branson, but the 282,000 feet altitude barely qualifies as 'space'.

Especially when you compare that altitude to what an X-15 achieved 59 years ago:
    A reader wonders, “Why is a MiG credited with the Absolute Altitude Record when the X-15 flew approximately 200,000 feet higher?”
    It doesn’t seem fair. On July 17, 1962, American test pilot Robert White took the X-15 to an altitude of 314,688 feet. But it’s Russian pilot Alexandr Fedotov who holds the world altitude record, set on August 31, 1977, when his MiG E-266M reached a mere 123,523 feet. What gives?
    The answer is simple: The way in which the two aircraft were launched puts them in different categories. The X-15 was never intended to take off under its own power; it was carried aloft by a modified B-52. So White’s record fell under the “Altitude Gain, Aeroplane Launched from a Carrier Aircraft” category (and has since been broken by Michael Melvill during his June 21, 2004 SpaceShipOne flight). Fedotov’s absolute record for altitude is for a ground-launched airplane.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 12th July 2021 at 11:40.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Would either of these experiences be worth the money? Personally, unless you are super-rich and can afford the ticket like its a bus fare, I'd say no.

I just watched some of the broadcast...pretty irritating viewing to be honest and felt like a long self-promotion reel. Some bits were cringe inducing...the choreographed Branson pitching up on a road bike, the dreadful pop concert...all very random.

Couldn't get excited about watching a close of up of Branson's face chewing on something whilst that nasal American ladies accent hurt my eardrums.
    You're right, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Whenever I see Branson on this type of thing now I'm always reminded of a picture I once saw portraying him as Scaramanga on his island!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I watched it live, but mostly with the sound muted for that very reason. Nauseating !

I give it a miss watching 'cos Dicky Branston gets on my t!ts a bit

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I give it a miss watching 'cos Dicky Branston gets on my t!ts a bit
    Yeah, one to miss...even the "interesting" 10-minute bit of the parabolic flight is mainly a close up on Branson's mouth doing an incredibly irritating chewing motion.

They also managed to find the most irritating astronaut, Chris Hadfield, to co-present.
    Last edited by Christian; 12th July 2021 at 19:17.