closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tour de France 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    SPOTY for me....but no doubt it'll be Gareth Southgate or one of the England players!
    Only if England manage to win. Otherwise cf 2011.

For my money his personality would beat that of any of the footballers.

Utterly incredible achievement and especially having been written-off by so many. A win on the Champs-Élysées would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Only if England manage to win. Otherwise cf 2011.

For my money his personality would beat that of any of the footballers.

There is still an Olympic Games to be factored in, but Cav should certainly make the list.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Utterly incredible achievement and especially having been written-off by so many. A win on the Champs-Élysées would be epic.
    That would be the icing on the cake. Let’s hope he survives the mountains.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It was reported on the BBC homepage just after the result.
    The BBC News homepage currently has the story of Djokovic in the final, a video clip of the womens cricket and an interview with Harry Kane among the main stories. Scroll down and there are another 13 different articles related to the England team before you get to the sport section at the bottom where Cav's win is the main story, so obviously they know it's big sports news, but I do wonder if it's missing from the main news because it's an event the BBC don't have the rights to show...

After reading another thread on here, is it worth remarking that his lead-out man (Michael Mørkøv) is a Dane?
    Credit where it's due, he had an impressive ride. Let's not forget who brought Cav home.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice break away win today.

I’ve noticed on the ITV4 coverage the closing montage often finishes with a Northern Soul classic. The producer must be a fan.

Today’s. https://youtu.be/T6LiD9I8G3A

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Credit where it's due, he had an impressive ride. Let's not forget who brought Cav home.
    The team has been superb at leading out Cavendish this year and you're absolutely right, they deserve a great deal of credit as Cavendish has always pointed out. In years gone by his lead out man was Mark Renshaw, this year it has been Michael Mørkøv who has been sublime with support from the team as a whole. They have to be favourites for the Champs-Élysées.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That would be the icing on the cake. Let’s hope he survives the mountains.
    I believe that at this early stage, the team will wrap around and make sure that Cav survives the mountain stages. A further stage win, especially in Paris would be their icing on the cake, this is also their call at history.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

According to the commentators it is / was Vincenzo Nibali's plan to leave after stage 10 and prepare for the Vuelta (as best as I recall).
    I should have said the Olympics...and he lasted 15 stages: Nibali leaves TdF to focus on Olympic Games.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Pogacar is an absolute beast.
    Bravo !

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Bravo !
    Kudos!

Disappointed for Cavendish.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutted. I wonder if he can come back next year? A year older with younger competitors who are currently missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Same here...but what a finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Gutted. I wonder if he can come back next year? A year older with younger competitors who are currently missing.
    That must be the question. Given the team support I'm pretty sure he can win another stage, but will the team have broader objectives?
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th July 2021 at 18:32.

Agreed!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Really was! DQT had to expend a lot to control the pelaton.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    But, he tied Eddie Merckx's stage win record!

Tying the 34 stage win record with Eddy Merckx is one hell of an achievement though, as Cavendish himself acknowledges, he's not in the same league as Merckx who won mountain stages, time trials and individual stages with solo break-aways. It would almost be a nice end to leave the record books as they are now but that's not Cavendish's way so I'd expect him to have one more TdF and be incredibly motivated to make it happen.

Grand Master
    Great tour this year and already excited for next years. There’s a bit of me that just knows a bit of a black cloud is coming with Bahrain team but we will see.
    RIAC

Master
    i thought it started off (first week), really good but fizzled out a bit in the last two weeks as there was no close competition for the top spot.. The big crashes were awful though, I can't watch replays of any of the big crashes..
    It was great to see the successful break aways and the Green jersey/ stage win battle was good but I'm not sure it was a great Tour.. I think even with fit rivals unaffected by crashes, Pogacar would still have walked it..

Master
    I should have said the Olympics...and he lasted 15 stages: Nibali leaves TdF to focus on Olympic Games.
    As was Van der Pol’s plan too.

Craftsman
    Cav may never get a better chance to break that record, but a terrific achievement to come back and win stages again. Speaking of comebacks, how about Froome, from learning to walk again 2 years ago to finishing the Tour. Another one who may never recapture his best form, it's still a massive achievement. Curiously, the fans now love him again, how long will it be before they're throwing urine over Pogacar?!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Cav may never get a better chance to break that record, but a terrific achievement to come back and win stages again. Speaking of comebacks, how about Froome, from learning to walk again 2 years ago to finishing the Tour. Another one who may never recapture his best form, it's still a massive achievement. Curiously, the fans now love him again, how long will it be before they're throwing urine over Pogacar?!
    Every Belgium rider with half a chance would want to defend Meryck record and rightly so, it has to be a proper race.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    MvdP on Dutch news media: "I had the yellow jersey longer than I'd expected. On the day off, I'll decide when I leave the Tour. There are other goals to aim at for the near future!" That's what I mentioned when I wrote that MvdP's goal is a gold medal during the Olympics.
    Very unfortunate in the Olympics: Mathieu van der Poel crashes out. Hopefully his stage wins in the TdF will give him happier memories of 2021.

Master
    brilliant ride by Tom Pidcock in the MTB Cross Country, he did not put a wheel or a foot wrong the whole race.. I watched it on Eurosport Player catch up, that course was so hard, they were battering themselves the whole time..

MvdP is saying that a ramp was removed that he thought would be there - big mix up / drop off by the NL team there.. The course had a lot of climbing though and suited Tom Pidcock v well, he showed his strength when he dropped the 2 Swiss riders..
    Last edited by bry nylon; 26th July 2021 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    MvdP is saying that a ramp was removed that he thought would be there - big mix up / drop off by the NL team there.. The course had a lot of climbing though and suited Tom Pidcock v well, he showed his strength when he dropped the 2 Swiss riders..

I'm not sure I buy that as an excuse... it was a fair old drop and no one else seemed to be trying to roll it. If he was in any doubt as to the landing he'd have checked it before the race.
    To me it looked like he failed to get the front wheel up enough and had his weight too far forward so went straight over the bars.

That said, it's been a while since I've watched x-country mtb and some of the technical sections on that course were properly tough. Definitely one for the real riders!

Craftsman
    #6 is none too shabby in the Olympic time trial that was won by Primož Roglič (GT came in at #12).
    That was Van Aert that finished 6th today. MVDP wasn’t in it

Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    That was Van Aert that finished 6th today. MVDP wasn’t in it
    Oops! Quite right...my mistake.

And thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by PickleB; 28th July 2021 at 16:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post

That said, it's been a while since I've watched x-country mtb and some of the technical sections on that course were properly tough. Definitely one for the real riders!

I notice the board was back for the ladies race, not that they all used it. I 100% agree about the severity of the course as a XC. Some of those descents were worthy of a DH course especially in and coming out of the woods.

Steve

ICYMI...Mark Cavendish has a book out.

Master
    Good interview that.

Pete

ICYMI...Mark Cavendish has a book out.
    ICYMI...The Manx Missile on his Ghent crash, mental health and stunning 2021 Tour de France...and his crash.