closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NOT travel from or through Schiphol!

Blog Entries

Do NOT travel from or through Schiphol!

As per title.

There are not enough employees to handle security and luggage. They were sacked due to Covid and now, with travel restrictions down and flights up, they’re not returning. Due to better paid jobs.

Don’t be surprised it it will take up to 5(!!!!) hrs between entering the hall (provided you’re not in queue under a 200m canopé outside…) and the moment you’re at the gate.

Use Rotterdam Airport or Eindhoven Airport!

Master
    Same problem everywhere by the sound of things. I'll be passing through next week so hopefully won't have to endure the check-in delays.

Pretty crazy everywhere. Manchester and Gatwick have been chaos in my experience; in fact in there now and it’s not great this morning either.

Staff calling in with Covid is still affecting this greatly too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    It took us a few hours at 6AM to get through all ‘hoops’. Routing has changed; it’s a maze now. With the aid of my frequent flying wife who knows her way around Schiphol and with all sorts of Frequent Flyers cards, we were able to do the hurdles in 2hrs. Normally 30-45 mins.

Now we wait. Mind you, as a former school teacher I was used to board on a plane filled with people going on a holiday. Not like now: for the first time in a half-empty plane with business people.
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th May 2022 at 07:36.

Master
    Flying from Manchester to Schipol next week so not much hope for my relaxed holiday.

Blog Entries
    Birmingham was mayhem last Monday…. Queues up past departures…. Took 80 mins to get through security

Schipol Friday afternoon took around 25 minutes…. It wasn’t so bad…. I guess it’s tougher in the morning ?

Had no issues in either Gatwick or Rome recently

Ugh, thanks for the update. My friend is coming from The Netherlands tomorrow, morning, 0810 flight. Fingers crossed for her.

Master
    I've been traveling quite a bit this spring, and I've seen similar things elsewhere and also talked with airport staff.

Normally I knew what to expect when going to the airports or traveling through, I had the experience. Now, the airport can be empty or it can be full of people, no way of telling beforehand. Then there is the issue you talk about, general lack of staff - it's everywhere, here in Scandinavia, Germany, Spain, Netherlands. When you get somewhere, then you have the issue with rental cars. Car fleets were sold away during the COVID, and good luck for the rentals now buying cars for their fleets. Also the wait times at rental locations are long, same staff issues.

It's going to be a strange summer holiday season for sure.

Master
    Going out of Heathrow Terminal 5 on Saturday providing the covid test is clean on Friday as still a requirement to get into the states. Not hear much about how Heathrow is, but preparing for the worst

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Ugh, thankso for the update. My friend is coming from The Netherlands tomorrow, morning, 0810 flight. Fingers crossed for her.
    Change the departure to Rotterdam Airport perhaps?
    A Schiphol spokesperson talks about 6 - 7 hrs waiting time for today. The Schiphol app predicts how crowded it will be tomorrow. (‘Very crowed’ today. Sadly, correct).

Master

Do NOT travel from or through Schiphol!

Took a colleague 19 hours to get back from schiphol to UK yesterday. 5 hour wait to get airside, not a good mood in the queue, lots of pushing, shoving and frayed tempers. Then once airside KLM advised flight cancelled so they had to re-book and sleep on the floor until they could fly.
    Uk press reports similar delays @ UK airports last week.
    Just isn’t worth the bother trying to fly anywhere these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Going out of Heathrow Terminal 5 on Saturday providing the covid test is clean on Friday as still a requirement to get into the states. Not hear much about how Heathrow is, but preparing for the worst
    I went through T5 last Monday and it was silky smooth to be fair

Does anyone know if passengers in biz class are able to use fast track at Schiphol? Supposed to be in AMS next week and thinking to upgrade travel class for return flight if it makes a difference to the queue.

My wife waited 3hrs to get through security at Schiphol last week. Coming back via Rotterdam next time.

Used to be great when security was at the gate.

Master
    No particular issues flying from Edinburgh and back. I usually pitch up around three hours early and pass through security in no more than fifteen minutes or so. On my last flight back from stepping off the plane and getting through border control took no more than five minutes. Normally twenty minutes or so. But I don’t check in luggage. Never had a bad experience with Ryanair.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I went through T5 last Monday and it was silky smooth to be fair
    Good to know, thanks. Now were the watch shops stocked? Hope to get time to take a look if I get through security in a reasonable time

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are huge recruitment drives for airport staff at the moment but the pay is not attractive for low skilled work combined with the awkward commutes to many airports.

Manchester T2 isn’t too bad, however most of the shops are shut and huge lines to get into anywhere to eat ( if open). There adds also a number of new staff not even jn uniform yet trying their best.

T1 is a shambles though.

Gatwick was fine not too long ago, WOS is well staffed.

Please tell me you can still get a pint and bitterballen in the Irish bar in Schipol!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

Please tell me you can still get a pint and bitterballen in the Irish bar in Schipol!
    Murphy's is well and truly shut.

Master

I found a place in London to get bitterballen recently

Master
    Surely a quid or two on the each fare (via the fees the airlines pay to the airports) would enable them to make these well paying jobs that were easily filled with quality candidates (also desirable).

However there is competition between the airports so it would need some industry level coordination to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Surely a quid or two on the each fare (via the fees the airlines pay to the airports) would enable them to make these well paying jobs that were easily filled with quality candidates (also desirable).

However there is competition between the airports so it would need some industry level coordination to make it happen.
    Or maybe the people that own the airports could give their workers more of a share of the product of their labour. Just a thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Or maybe the people that own the airports could give their workers more of a share of the product of their labour. Just a thought.
    Straying close to BP territory here but heaven forfend the airports placed the customer experience & the workforce as key as company profits…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Straying close to BP territory here but heaven forfend the airports placed the customer experience & the workforce as key as company profits…
    They would do so if it aligned with profitability. But cutting service (or allowing service to deteriorate through natural wastage), potentially cutting passenger numbers (or encouraging passenger numbers down), and perhaps increasing prices, might be a better strategy for increased profitability and shareholder value. See also Rolex for a similar strategy.

On the other hand, if they really are trying to recruit staff then perhaps the above is not their strategy at all. Perhaps they do want to maintain service levels so as to continue to attract customers (i.e. airlines, and their customers). If so, then market forces will tend to push up wages offered (unless there's a glut of people out of work or new to the workforce, neither of which seems to be the case).

When I travelled regularly, Schiphol was my favourite to transit through, always fast and efficient so this is sad to hear....
    I transferred through Heathrow T5 last week and the week before and was an absolute caker both times. On the way out, we didn't even hit security, straight out of arrivals and into the terminal.

Rolex shop had the usual ugly bling that doesn't go down well here but WOS was well stocked.

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    used T5 for JFK last week and all ok. Had a 10.30 flight and moved pretty smoothly through the airport

Remember it’s a holiday on NL tomorrow so it’s bound to be busier. Last went through a couple of weeks ago, did take me an hour to get through and that’s with the sky priority.

Blog Entries
    Meanwhile in Manchester...

Security lane has reached the car park at Manchester airport, lovely… (T3)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualUK/co...e_car_park_at/

The top post in the thread is interesting:
    JAPersonalTraining

4 hr. ago
    I used to work at Man Airport in security and this has been a long time coming.

They burn through staff at an alarming rate, mostly because of the disrespectful HR service. They literally demanded a colleague change his chemo date for "company need" whilst I was there.

New starters have walked off the job, shifts can run from 3am to 3pm several days in a row, all on an annualised 20 hour contract so you can have busy periods working full time but you're only paid paid for half of it. There's no consideration for staff welfare, at my time of leaving most managers were hired outside the company, and even up to terminal manager level the mistreatment continues where one was called whilst on a holiday and they tried to strong arm him into returning again for "company need".
    The end result is economics at work, it seems. To maintain quality of service and customer retention, treat your staff well and don't pay peanuts.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 25th May 2022 at 13:39.

Master
    If I was trying to market my airport to the airlines and (therefore indirectly to travellers) using quality of security experience would be a very tempting option. Bearing in mind the volumes I think the extra cost would put very little on the ticket price.

Or, bearing in mind that the security task is so important do the state need to step in and mandate staffing levels.

Good to know, thanks. Now were the watch shops stocked? Hope to get time to take a look if I get through security in a reasonable time
    The WOS has Tag, Breitling, Hublot, Omega, Tudor, Ulysse Nardin, JLC, Panerai, IWC and Longines. Decent enough stock but no duty free pricing so no good deals to be had.

I wonder if they have the same problems in France where employment laws are different, it does seem that the whole aviation industry is now using the Ryan Air model

Blimey!

I've been contemplated a trip abroad later this year, but seeing this I'm wondering if it's worth it!

Mark
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Manchester last time I checked was the most expensive airport in the UK too.

Gutted about Murphys in Schipol

Master
    I’m really looking forward to my Manchester-Schiphol flight in about 3 weeks time…

Hopefully being in the afternoon and me travelling with no checked bags should keep the journey time to less than 10 hours…

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Pretty crazy everywhere. Manchester and Gatwick have been chaos in my experience; in fact in there now and it’s not great this morning either.

Staff calling in with Covid is still affecting this greatly too.
    Gatwick I thought was great. Certainly North terminal. Breezed through in and out under 20mins!

Manchester was a pig before COVID and has just become even more of a shit show.

The key I think is to try avoid peak days and times if you can

Master
    I found a place in London to get bitterballen recently
    Do tell, this would be lovely surprise for my partner, who is Dutch, she’s always on about them!

I’ll be going by Eurostar next time, it runs direct to Amsterdam now, seems that was the right choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Do tell, this would be lovely surprise for my partner, who is Dutch, she’s always on about them!

I’ll be going by Eurostar next time, it runs direct to Amsterdam now, seems that was the right choice.
    Lowlander Grand Cafe on Drury Lane - great beers there too

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bitterballen location noted - thanks .

I second the Eurostar service, no break we when I had to travel to Brussels.

Master
    Lowlander Grand Cafe on Drury Lane - great beers there too
    Awesome, something for both of us then! Thanks for the tip.

Manchester last time I checked was the most expensive airport in the UK too.

Gutted about Murphys in Schipol

What was the attraction of that place? Been in twice in around 10yrs or so, and couldn't see it.....................

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What was the attraction of that place? Been in twice in around 10yrs or so, and couldn't see it.....................
    Gets you away from wooden tulips and they do a nice pint and bitterballen deal.

Flown out of Luton recently, no probs and the 'Shortrun' parking is a decent deal.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Flew out of Luton to Malaga on Friday and back on Tuesday - prob one of the easiest trips ive been on in many a year

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A pub in an airport was a pretty unusual thing.

As an international oil worker it's always had a legendary status. You could walk in there at any hour of the day or night and know someone.

Blog Entries

As an international oil worker it's always had a legendary status. You could walk in there at any hour of the day or night and know someone.
    Spoons? Pretty much ubiquitous in U.K. airports at least…!

Mmmm............ possibly more of a reason to avoid, just like Derrick's Bar at ABZ.

Full of Toolpushers or Sat Divers (by their own telling).....................

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Spoons? Pretty much ubiquitous in U.K. airports at least…!
    Full of too many gammons that call them 'Spoons'.

Two weeks ago I flew to Aberdeen from Gatwick's north terminal. It was busy, but with staff shouting (encouraging) passengers as to what they should be doing all the way into security, I was through in 15 minutes, making a mockery a EasyJet's instructions to turn up 2.5 hours before the gate closes. Spoons(!) had a long queue snaking to outside of the seating area. I would have rather taken the train north, but the flight was a third of the price. That left enough money to get robbed by the trolley staff with EasyJet's imaginative pricing for food and drinks.

Manchester is a hell hole. I have been through there twice, and have decided I never will again and that was before their recent levels of performance.

Blog Entries
    Full of too many gammons that call them 'Spoons'.
    You’re not wrong…. Bloody awful places…. There were hordes of ‘Gers fans in BHX bizarrely last week…. Beers on at 7.20…

I didn’t know whether to admire them or feel nauseous

Sometimes it’s your only option though v some weird overpriced Prosecco bar…
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th May 2022 at 20:43.

Master
    My son went from Heathrow to Schipol today am. Apart from the KLM flight being delayed 90 minutes he said it was fine. As an aside he used the Elizabeth line to get to Heathrow and was impressed by it.

Master
    I went through Gatwick to Schipol on the 14th May over the weekend. Gatwick was absolutely fine going out but Schipol was bad getting back through, I think it took almost 2 hours to get to security, then another 30 mins to passport control. Gatwick was fairly horrendous on the way in and we missed our train home.
    I'm flying out of Gatwick next Tuesday and will aim to arrive 4 hours early. Even if there's no issues going though I'll have some time airside and my kids will have to entertain themselves in the ipads!