closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corgi die casts from the 1960's

Corgi die casts from the 1960's

Evening all

Thought that i might provide a little mild diversion by taking the more mature of us on a little trip down memory lane..............

About three years ago I posted a thread about a selection of mainly modern die cast models I had picked up here and there over the years. When I moved a few years ago I gave all of these to my grandsons and its great to see them being played with.

More recently my mind has turned to the Corgi cars of my childhood and I have started to pick up vintage versions of ones that I recall being particularly fond of.

As a child, die cast cars seemed to be far better than real ones. Much more durable, usually the most damage they would sustain by colliding with each other or being dropped from a height was a little paint loss. Try doing either of these things with a load of real cars or letting them all rattle around together in a giant box and see how they get on. Not that mine suffered any paint loss or damage anyway as they were neatly stacked in their boxes in numerical order. So what if they weren't big enough to function like real cars? These thought processes and curating behaviour were and still are the result if how my brain is wired

So far I have a small grouping of three:

I was a big fan of "The Saint", initially in black and white and then colour. I thought then (and still do) that the Volvo P1800 was the most beautiful car in the world. This example has been restored and its in a reproduction box. Picked it up for under £30. Its a lovely thing.

The famous Batmobile needs little introduction of course. To say that I was obsessed with all things Batman in the 60's would be an understatement. This is another renovated example completed to a very high standard. It was expensive but I don't care. The only thing I can fault on it are the front wheels which are a little stiff to turn - due to the front suspension repair. It has the rarer larger figures and its in a reproduction box. "Holy vintage die cast Batman!"

Last but by no means least is the might Colin Campbell Proteus or "Bluebird". I was absolutely besotted with this as a boy and had at least half a dozen of the things in either plastic form or larger scale die cast or tin plate. My favourite was always the little Corgi version and I was delighted to pick up this one quite cheaply from someone selling all of their boyhood toys. Its hasnt been renovated and is in great shape - just some minor paint loss here and there which is far more noticeable in my photos than real life. Its anoher reproduction box though.

So where's James Bond's gold DB5? I hear you ask. Well, immaculate versions of this are very pricey so I am waiting for the Corgi reissue later this year. It looks like a very near copy down to the box which seems virtually identical to the original to me. £25 seems like a good price and I have one on pre-order.

Master
    Those are a blast from the past. I'm sure I had the Saint car but don't remember the logo on the bonnet, maybe a different version.

My Brother had the Batmobile as well as Kojak's Buick and Starky and Hutch's Gran Torino.

All were taken to the tip I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Those are a blast from the past. I'm sure I had the Saint car but don't remember the logo on the bonnet, maybe a different version.

My Brother had the Batmobile as well as Kojak's Buick and Starky and Hutch's Gran Torino.

All were taken to the tip I'm afraid.
    Not mine...but I remember it well. It had a tilt to steer mechanism and I too don't recall a logo, or the silver go-faster strip. I must agree with the OP about the car's looks.

I’ve got all my old Dinky and Corgi toys - and most in pretty good condition considering they were played with for hours and hours! - I have 2 batmobiles like that and a bat boat on trailer - no boxes though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. my brother had the Batmobile, I was a touch jealous.
    Some years ago I bought a BMW from a chap on the southcoast and , very surprisingly, it was snowy when I arrived, his big BMW parked outside a large double garage and lightly dusted in snow. When I asked why he would not keep it in that garage, he said it was full and proceeded to show be a double garage chock full of new old stock boxed Corgi, Dinky, Matchbox and many other models. Blimey, what a treasure trove. Some of them had their old Pounds , shillings and pence price stickers attached.

You definately need one of these:

Considering how much MIB ones go for these days then that must be better than a pension!

Never seen the Basil Brish one - must be a 70's release

Great topic.

Unfortunately I cant join in the 1960s conversation but I know there are a few battered old Corgi cars from the 70s from my brothers and I childhood in my parents loft. With 3 boys though I have to say they took a fair bit of abuse over the years but what was nice was to bring some of them down from the loft and let my kids play with them.

I have bought a few of the modern Corgi for the kids and they have started their own little collection. There is also a German company that have some nice die cast cars and I managed to pick up a vintage French one a couple of years ago too. I guess the modern Corgi cars are made in China?

Corgi die casts from the 1960's

What a lovely thread - somewhere I have the Beatles yellow submarine....or was that a Dinky Toy?

If you haven’t seen it already, on Netflix there is a series called Car Masters: Rust to Riches. In one episode (S1:E6) they recreate a Hot Wheels car - this thread reminded me of it.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Great to see these. I didn't have a Batmobile but Richard Baker (not that Richard Baker) down the road did. Man I hated him.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    What a lovely thread - somewhere I have the Beatles yellow submarine....or was that a Dinky Toy?

If you haven’t seen it already, on Netflix there is a series called Car Masters: Rust to Riches. In one episode (S1:E6) they recreate a Hot Wheels car - this thread reminded me of it.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I am guessing corgi, they have a reissue out.

I'm pretty sure that the Yellow Submarine was Corgi. They definitely did a more recent re-issue.

I've noticed that Corgi quite recently did a couple of re-issues of Dinkey's FAB1 Lady Penelope' Rolls Royce and one the cars from Captain Scarlet.

Trawling through the internet I see that there is discussion on why Corgi havent released a Batmobile re-issue. Consensus is that it's due to copyright issues

This takes me back to happy days in the 70s. I’ve got 4 brothers so you can imagine how many of these we had.

Fond memories of the James Bond white Lotus Esprit Turbo, Batmobile, Thunderbird 2 (I had the green one my brother the blue) and Eagle Transporter from Space 1999. Cant remember if they were Dinky or Corgi not that it mattered. Spent hours playing with them with my brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    This takes me back to happy days in the 70s. I’ve got 4 brothers so you can imagine how many of these we had.

Fond memories of the James Bond white Lotus Esprit Turbo, Batmobile, Thunderbird 2 (I had the green one my brother the blue) and Eagle Transporter from Space 1999. Cant remember if they were Dinky or Corgi not that it mattered. Spent hours playing with them with my brothers
    I'm pretty sure that TB2 and the Eagle Transporter were Dink's

Ive been looking at Dinky Spectrum SPV's on eBay and boy are they expensive. Another one I wish they would re-issue.

Master
    I had the batmobile, and if I remember correctly it used to fire little yellow rockets from the stacks on the back.... would be banned now days..

Also had Simon Templar’s Volvo and an evil keneval rocket bike..

Blog Entries
    Had the Batmobile and James Bond Aston, as well as many others. Used to get one every week when going to the shops with my mother. All were passed on to other kids in the family so didn’t keep any! Trip down memory lane seeing them now, of the cars and especially my mother buying them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Space 1999 I am sure we had one of those and now you mention the Batmobile firing rockets there may be a battered one of those in the loft somewhere. I got a few of the Corgi reissue ones especially the James Bond ones. The yellow submarine is defiantly a Corgi reissue I was going to buy it a while back they still have them on amazon for sale.

Love "The Saint" Car in the OP, may have to post a few photos of the cars I have.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    .....may have to post a few photos of the cars I have.
    Please do!

Master
    Fantastic to see. I had some great stuff as a kid, some of which I still have - Captain Scarlet's car, Ed Straker's car, the Man From Uncle car - you'd press a button on the top and Napoleon would stick a gun out of the side window. The 007 DB5 of course. Lady Penelope's pink Rolls-Royce, the SHADO Interceptor and Mobile - I had those as well.

The one I always wanted but never had was the Spectrum SPV. I think the one pictured here may be a reissue from the '90s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    ... Thunderbird 2 (I had the green one my brother the blue) and Eagle Transporter from Space 1999. s
    Ah yes I had both of those, as well. TB2 had the pod, with a tiny little TB4 in it. I didn't know there was a blue one.

I was annoyed that the Dinky SHADO Interceptor was metallic green.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I was annoyed that the Dinky SHADO Interceptor was metallic green.
    I had one of those

My childhood autism couldn't cope with it being the wrong colour!

I read on the internet the other day that the marketing people at Dinky told their production colleagues to paint it green as children would prefer this to white.

I believe that they did something similar with the Eagle Transporter from Space 1999 - I didnt want one of these so I wasnt bothered.

Ed Strakers car from UFO came in a kind of metallic gold or plain gloss yellow. The real thing looks bronze in photos. Its worth having anyway as it has beautiful lines.

I’m going to have to get my collection out of the garage and take a few pics for this thread - I have 3 Dinky Eagle transporters which were my absolute favourites as a kid in the 70’s!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Ed Strakers car from UFO came in a kind of metallic gold or plain gloss yellow. The real thing looks bronze in photos. Its worth having anyway as it has beautiful lines.

Yes, and Paul Foster's car was a sort of pale violet. The actual Straker car used for filming was bought by Dave Lee Travis some time in the '70s, but ended up rotting in someone's garden. It was supposedly a horrible thing to drive but of course only used for very short distances. The gull-wing doors didn't really open automatically, they had to be pulled up manually just out of shot.

Craftsman
    Spent many hours happily playing with my Batmobile. I assume it, and many others including the SPV, 007 Aston DB5, Lady Penelope, Thunderbird 2, Jim Clarks' Lotus, etc, ended up worn out and put in the bin.
    I have one remaining, discovered in a Garage Drawer at Mums, its a Grand Prix Car with working steering but in quite a state...

I was a great fan of Corgi's, despised Dinky not sure why. We used to have a kind of distance race at our school where we would try to make our toy car freewheel as far as possible. I had a Corgi Land Rover with actual independent suspension on each wheel that could beat everything else. I've never seen one since.

I thought that I would see what one of the modern 60th anniversary models was like and ordered a limited edition Rover P6 3500 the other week

It arrived this morning

Its way better than I expected for £15 - very good build quality and nice clean edges. Bear in mind that this is 1:43 scale when looking at the detail

You may have noticed the small holes in the tops of the doors. These are for some door mirrors that came in a small bag - I tried to fit them but they were too stiff to push into the holes easily so I will need to return to this when I am in the right frame of mind and have a magnifying glass. They are very small.

Whilst I applaud Corgi for replicated the original yellow and blue colours for the box I am a bit disappoibted by the large size of the box and so much plastic packaging. I guess the days if a simple no frills compact cardboard box are long gone. Thats progress.

I probably wont keep this - its more than likely heading to my grandson for his birthday next month.

Master
    That is a beauty. I'm sure I had a white P6 with the spare tyre on the boot.

Blog Entries
    That Rover is lovely. I had a Tobacco Leaf P6 3500 Auto many moons ago - gorgeous cars.

I've still got a lot of my old '60's Dinky's and Corgis, mainly American (always loved them) and military but they are not in such good condition unfortunately.

I remember my late Dad asking what I wanted in Woolworth's (it was memorable as we very rarely went out together, I was badly behaved apparently) and in that halcyon moment I picked a Studebaker Golden Hawk - still have it.

Getting back to renovated toy cars, a chap I know hunts down old knackered Dinky's/Corgis at boot sales and strips and resprays them although he has a huge collection of originals in excellent condition.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Love this thread!
    I loved my Dinky's and Corgis and my Airfix models to....

I had the Batmobile (as well as firing rockets there was a red plastic 'flame' that went in and out of the rear exhaust when the car rolled along and also a (real) metal blade that flicked out of the front to cut across chains or fallen trees etc. (I tried sharpening this if I recall)

Others I had were:-

• UFO Interceptor (with the big single torpedo on the front that you could fire via a spring loading mechanism)
    • UFO 'Shadow Mobile 1' tracked land vehicle (with flip over roof to reveal missiles)
    • Captain Scarlet 'Spectrum SPV'
    • Joe 90 'Frog' car (amphibious/flying and had retractable wheels on legs)
    • Thunderbird 2 (with T4 in the pod)
    • Lady Penelope's RR (Pink I know but in those days 'Gay' meant happy)
    • Captain Scarlet's red car
    • Space 1999 Eagle transporter and the Eagle freighter (with the cans of nuclear waste in barrels that could be winched up and down)
    • James Bond Aston Martin c/w/ working ejector seat (I recall them being silver not gold but it was very long time ago!)
    • James Bond's red Mustang from 'Diamonds are Forever'.
    • Airfix Starship enterprise (OS) This was a fairly large model and I loved it!
    • Massive (it seemed at the time) Airfix Saturn rocket
    • Dinky Chieftain tank (it fired match sticks)
    • Dinky Scorpion tank (it fired match sticks)
    • Dinky tank transporter with fold up ramps at the back
    • Dinky heavy field gun (it fired match sticks!)

For some reason Dinky had this habit of painting things in green even though the original vehicles on the TV were other colours i.e. white, grey etc.
    A good example is the eagle from Space 1999 which was white on the series but green by Dinky (with a white pod) same with the UFO Interceptor, it was white on TV but green with Dinky? WHY? Did Dinky have an excess of metallic green paint or something?
    Even as a kid I remember thinking 'why'? and being slightly disappointed that it was a different colour than on the TV.
    Sadly I probably swapped them all over time for a comic or bubbly gum or something else equally stupid
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 27th March 2020 at 15:53.

Master
    I love vintage die cast models

The sci-fi ones are my favourites

Eagles:

Star Trek

Shado

Buck Rogers

Did anybody else have the Matchbox Adventure 2000 vehicles:

One of them looked like the vehicle from the Judge Dredd story The Cursed Earth

They were great to play with, firing missiles, pop out wings, loved them as a kid

I’m going to have to venture into the garage whilst on lockdown - I’m sure I’ve got those matchbox sci-fi vehicles, I even have the Dinky Klingon ship that came out the same time as the Dinky Enterprise

The guy that I bought my Batmobile from has offered my this for a very good price so I have taken him up on it. Not sure when it will arrive due to the current situation but its nice to look forward to.

Series 1 Aston Martin DB5 from 1965

Refurbished in replica cardboard box with instruction sheet etc

As mentioned in one of my previous post I had pre-ordered one of the forthcoming re-issues for this model. I've cancelled this now. Its nice to have an original and the large modern packaging of the re-issue would have been a constant irritation to me

Grand Master
    My Brother collects stuff like this,aircraft too,he must have thousands of the things in his loft.Like some with watches,he wants mint and boxed if possible.

Up in the loft in boxes!.......doesn't even play with them.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Up in the loft in boxes!.......doesn't even play with them.
    I keep mine in my bureau so that when I am working I can get one out and sit it next to my laptop or notebook.

Its comforting.

Connects me to childhood......."when all the bad things happened miles away"

Its comforting.

Connects me to childhood......."when all the bad things happened miles away"
    So, so true mate.

Brings back memories, mine got passed on to various children in the family and all were very well played with.

Had the Spectrum SPV, flap on the front flipped up and fired a rocket, another favourite was the man
    from Uncle car, you pressed a button on the top and Illya Kuryakin lent out of the side window with a gun.

Master
    Like a few thousand other kids I'm sure, I lost the little plastic man from the ejector seat of my DB5. He went the way of the little missiles fired from the radiator grille of my FAB 1 Rolls Royce. I was so disappointed by this that I had a recurring dream that I found it, well into my teens. I still remember the dismay on waking up and realising it was only a dream.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Brings back memories, mine got passed on to various children in the family and all were very well played with.

Had the Spectrum SPV, flap on the front flipped up and fired a rocket, another favourite was the man
    from Uncle car, you pressed a button on the top and Illya Kuryakin lent out of the side window with a gun.
    In an earlier post in this thread I claimed that it was Napoleon Solo, but I think you may be right.

The elector mechanism has far too strong a spring fitted and it sends the small plastic baddie into a low orbit. I wonder how many children had to improvise with some screwed up foil or similar once they has lost this and the spare one. Probably on the first day.

If you look at the clip from Goldfinger the baddie is only ejected about 12 foot in the air. To scale the Corgi should eject no more than 4 inches. Had they designed it this was the there wouldn't be as many missing baddies.

Good job that you can buy spares!

In an earlier post in this thread I claimed that it was Napoleon Solo, but I think you may be right.
    Sorry I didn’t read all you post, just saw the SPV, think it was the blond one who popped out. It was called the
    Thrush Buster which has a different connotation these days.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I've got a few.....I will try and get round to posting some pictures.
    Pretty much all mine are original-some are in better condition than others but I tend to prefer them to repainted & refurnished models.

On another note I definitely had that Adventure 2000 set as a kid. I have a suspicion that it's in a box of mixed junk somewhere in my parents house.

Some great photos! Thanks for posting.

My middle brother got the Enterprise for Xmas. We lost the explorer shuttle on Boxing Day and then all the phaser discs by the time he went back to school. He was in tears. I still feel bad about it :-)

Anyone got Thunderbird 2 or the Interceptor?

Casper

Master
    I "inherited" quite a few 60's Corgi/Dinky toys from my father and uncle. Unfortunately all at my parents house at the moment so no pics. Definately includes one of the Bluebird and P1800 models pictured above and two of those Aston Martins sans baddie. Unfortunately as they were used as toys, no chance of any boxes and lots of chips on the paint. Can't recall all the others, but about 2-3 shoeboxes worth so there were quite a few!

Great thread, I had the Batmobile, and later the Dinky Spectrum vehicles mentioned as well, I remember being fascinated by the exhaust flames rotating in and out of the Batmobile, and was that wheel to adjust the angle of the rocket launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Great thread, I had the Batmobile, and later the Dinky Spectrum vehicles mentioned as well, I remember being fascinated by the exhaust flames rotating in and out of the Batmobile, and was that wheel to adjust the angle of the rocket launcher?
    No the wheel is to launch small plastic rocket type projectiles from the tubes - you push one down in to each tube and rotate the wheel and it pings them out!

I also had the mk2 version of the D5 released in 1968 with silver paintwork and extending tyre cutters

Although boxed originals are creeping up in price, Corgi released an identical reissue in the mid 90's and with patience these can be picked up for reasonable amounts. Ive just located an unopened one.

Master
    I also had the mk2 version of the D5 released in 1968 with silver paintwork and extending tyre cutters

Although boxed originals are creeping up in price, Corgi released an identical reissue in the mid 90's and with patience these can be picked up for reasonable amounts. Ive just located an unopened one.
    That's definitely the one I had in the late '60s; I hadn't realised that it was a Mk 2.

But I bought a mid '90s reissue when it was released and it wasn't identical, unfortunately - for one thing, it didn't have the extending tyre cutters. Perhaps there was more than one.

Fantastic to see. I had some great stuff as a kid, some of which I still have - Captain Scarlet's car, Ed Straker's car, the Man From Uncle car - you'd press a button on the top and Napoleon would stick a gun out of the side window. The 007 DB5 of course. Lady Penelope's pink Rolls-Royce, the SHADO Interceptor and Mobile - I had those as well.

The one I always wanted but never had was the Spectrum SPV. I think the one pictured here may be a reissue from the '90s.

I’d forgotten about that one! I had an original.

Back to the Batmobile- I had one of those too, but don’t remember the bright red bat symbol on the wheels?

Also had the James Bond DB5
    The Man From Uncle Car
    Lady Penelope’s RR
    James Bond Toyota coupe

Blog Entries
    Nice thread!

I had a mix of Corgi and Dinky Toy, but I preferred Corgi Toys for their finish(...) they all had some kind of spring inside, where the Dinky Toys had a 'rigid suspension'. And, nearly all Corgi's had a proper interior.

I had some kids down the street owning the Bat Mobile and 007's Aston. Somehow, I didn't manage to buy them from my pocket money. My favorite was an El Camino. Back in the 60s, American cars were a regular sight on Dutch streets, so an El Camino in the wild and as a die cast model wasn't really special back then.

(Pic from the web. I've searched for a model with battle scars - like mine had!)