Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watches you will buy when the bottom falls out of the market

Master
    I could not see any watches on the laings website

Master
    I’m thinking of swapping this

For one of these

Master
    I have a "significant birthday" early next year, and have a hankering for a Pelagos. I don't need another black faced diver, but I rather like them. Who knows how long or how deep this is going to bite, may well go and try one on and see what I can negotiate nearer to the event.

Master
    PAM 382, actually any bronze non ceramic bezel PAM, white dial SS Daytona, and maybe something PM on a bracelet

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm hunting for a bargain basement GPR-B1000 1ER (green strap)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Seems to me that in the UK the forced closure of AD's will drive 2nd hand prices up. So I see no possibility of the bottom falling out of the market anytime soon. My buying habits will remain unchanged.

Craftsman

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Really was a “Funny guy” with that line.

Blog Entries
    Waiting for the bubble to burst be like........

https://youtu.be/-hJQ18S6aag
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I would bite someone's hand off if that was offered to me

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I'd take a 116655 Yacht Master at 13kish. If prices dropped far enough i'd get a UG Compax Nina Rindt, but i wouldn't hold my breath for that given they're pretty rare anyway.

Master
    Tbh nothing would change for me. I'm currently looking for a GS quartz and there's nothing else I want, at any price point. As much as I admire some of the top end pieces, I wouldn't want to be lumbered with the obscene associated service costs. Of course, I'd happily pick up whatever the latest fashionable bauble is, if offered at a sufficiently enticing discount, but only with the intention of flogging it for a profit asap - but no doubt there are plenty of sharks already circling who'll get there well before me, so I'm not holding my breath!

Master
    Guy on Facebook saying WF just bid him around £3,750 on a 2018 Rolex GMT LN. Crikey!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Guy on Facebook saying WF just bid him around £3,750 on a 2018 Rolex GMT LN. Crikey!
    And this is why using WF as a "base" price to sell on SC is silly. WF pricing is exactly that - WF pricing.

If someone does list the exact watch on SC for significantly more, I wonder if someone kicks off in the responses about it being way off from WF pricing....

Craftsman
    This is just a 'go away' price surely? Not reflecting what they think it's worth, they just don't want any extra stock right now.

Regardless of the market,
    I definitely want to buy one of Eddies forthcoming Caribbean model.

Andy

If the bottom falls out if the market I look forward to getting a steel Nautilus, perhaps with a complication of some kind, preferably at list from the AD. One can only dream....

I’d like a Flightmaster but isn’t going to happen!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess we won’t see “WF have offered me €€€” on SC any more so....

Master
    TAG Heuer Monaco Gulf 2018 Special Edition, when slips under £1,000

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    This is just a 'go away' price surely? Not reflecting what they think it's worth, they just don't want any extra stock right now.
    Had a Similar occurrence a few years back we wanted some plastering done in our cottage in Cornwall a guy came round and quoted us a price 4 times the other quotes..

A few weeks later i bumped into him at a local market we got chatting and i asked him why his quote was so high..his reply was " I didn't want the work but if you were desperate enough to pay my price i would have done it or contracted it out"

I guess i admired his honesty..

I’d love a Patek 5990 a bit below list.

Slightly more realistically a Rolex GMT black / brown (two tone) or white faced Daytona ceramic would be on my radar after the apocalypse.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

This is exactly the kind of thing I'd go for if the arse really fell out of the market, something a bit unusual that you wouldn't want to risk a lot of money on in case it didn't really work out. £1,000 might be wishful thinking though!

Maybe one of those Oris skeletons if the price came down enough.

Master
    This is exactly the kind of thing I'd go for if the arse really fell out of the market, something a bit unusual that you wouldn't want to risk a lot of money on in case it didn't really work out. £1,000 might be wishful thinking though!

Maybe one of those Oris skeletons if the price came down enough.

Two very nice choices there and different from what's normally seen

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    A Submariner once again if they ever drop to € 5.000, but i guess that will never happen. 😔

Journeyman
    Not sure which way this will go - people stop spending or go mad with the spending when its over.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Would love to get one of these at a low price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    A Submariner once again if they ever drop to € 5.000, but i guess that will never happen. 😔
    I think the versatile watches like that will be the last to drop in price as people scale back to one or two watch collections. The more bold designs that you only wear on the odd occasion will be the first to go.

That's my prediction for divers in general anyway, not sure if Rolex will be a special case though with so many of them sitting in safes.

Craftsman
    Pelagos 2 liner, Sinn 103 or Speedy. Really difficult to predict how the markets will be, but there'll be some bargains to be had I'm sure.

Apprentice

Watches you will buy when the bottom falls out of the market

Time will tell! no pun intended, I doubt if new watches will discount much over the next 3-4 months however the second hand market will be easier to get a lower price, if so I’ll try for a sub 14060m or seadweller

Craftsman

Mad

Quote Originally Posted by Drumcairn View Post
    Not sure which way this will go - people stop spending or go mad with the spending when its over.

With the self isolation currently in place, just to stop going Mad or ending up in the divorce courts could be seen as a good outcome.

Cannot see myself going on a mad spending spree but if the Day date 40’s where to appear on the secondary market at under £20k I could be tempted.

Master
    That would be an epic watch, I love the day date with a green dial

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    A Submariner once again if they ever drop to € 5.000, but i guess that will never happen. 
    in a few months time I believe prices will maybe below that

look back on here at the prices of Rolex SS subs 5 years ago - or even 4 years ago - prices will soon be at that level or below

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

look back on here at the prices of Rolex SS subs 5 years ago - or even 4 years ago - prices will soon be at that level or below
    I would agree although it may take until the end of the year.

Late 2016 I purchased a Subc ND that was a few months old from Blowers for £4.6 and very close to purchasing a SDc for just under £6k.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 29th March 2020 at 07:48.

Master
    When I bought a gmt master 2 in 2016 I had to wait perhaps two months. I that time watchfinder were selling used ones for £5k

Master
    I’m looking for an IWC Mark XVIII Top Gun, but not at full retail.

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    I’m looking for an IWC Mark XVIII Top Gun, but not at full retail.
    I think you need to find one at 60% off to make it worthwhile!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think you need to find one at 60% off to make it worthwhile!
    If I was worried about resale value, then yes. I like black watches, this IWC model is fairly discreet, so it ticks boxes.

Master
    I think the versatile watches like that will be the last to drop in price as people scale back to one or two watch collections. The more bold designs that you only wear on the odd occasion will be the first to go.

That's my prediction for divers in general anyway, not sure if Rolex will be a special case though with so many of them sitting in safes.

You guys really think that? I am thinking about buying a Seamaster 300m, because it doesn’t feel oke spending € 8000+ on a submariner. I would wait buying a watch if I can get my hands on a sub at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would agree although it may take until the end of the year.

Late 2016 I purchased a Subc ND that was a few months old from Blowers for £4.6 and very close to purchasing a SDc for just under £6k.
    Almost 3yrs ago I nearly purchased a SubC ND from my local AD who had available (original owner baulked) when they were £5.5k I think (possibly £5k). I couldn’t get the cash ready that week, kitchen refit! But the went and bought a Pam 560 for £4K (WF). Part of me wishes I got the Sub purely for its current resale value & enjoyment of the watch - plus prices and availability are crazy now. . But deep down I’d always want the Pam I bought.

If the market dropped now & normality resumed with peoples health & day to day living, my list chops & changes.

McQueen Monaco
    Speedy Pro
    Glashütte PanoLunar
    Oris 65 as a beater

Apprentice
    You guys really think that? I am thinking about buying a Seamaster 300m, because it doesn’t feel oke spending € 8000+ on a submariner. I would wait buying a watch if I can get my hands on a sub at 5.
    Even if you aren't convinced yourself, you have nothing to lose by holding off for a while. Prices are certainly not going to go up in the near future.

Journeyman
    Any of the top 3.

* Nautilus
    * White daytona cermaic
    * Ceramic pepsi

Craftsman
    Definitely the Day Date olive dial for me. I doubt it will get close to the low 20’s let alone sub 20 level, but you never know.

Master
    I've always fancied a Rolex Pepsi - when a "mint" model with all the bits gets to £7k I will really be tempted even in these rough times

I've always fancied a Rolex Pepsi - when a "mint" model with all the bits gets to £7k I will really be tempted even in these rough times
    You've read this no doubt? https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...ference-points

You might manage a pre-ceramic 16710 for around that. I sold a mint one with all the bits “complete set” year 2000 for around £8k a year or so ago so if you find a desperate seller you may get nearer 7.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Thanks, certainly a table full - I'm not sure I could remember all the different issues, if I watched it a dozen times

what it does show, however, if that most if not all were well worn watches....... no safe queens amongst them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    You might manage a pre-ceramic 16710 for around that. I sold a mint one with all the bits “complete set” year 2000 for around £8k a year or so ago so if you find a desperate seller you may get nearer 7.
    It will be interesting to see what happens to expensive watch prices ....... I feel that they will be down to what they were 4 or 5 years ago, (have a look on here at what they were selling for in 2015), before the year is out ....... so I can see £7k being possible for a mint set........ I just need to hang on and not get tempted too soon......... of course the Rolex models that I have will go down in price

This for me too. I will be watching the market with interest

Dave

Journeyman
    Hoping to pick up a late 5 digit sub no date as a keeper.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I gave up badgering Boodles for a 5164 ages ago as I presume I am at the bottom of the pecking order. Maybe in the future I will be surprised and will finally get the call!!