closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help GMT options

Help GMT options

Hi all
    I need some help.

I have decided to add a GMT watch to my collection. My budget is 1.5-2k.

I was almost decided about the Sinn 6068: I do not have any Sinn in my current collection, and I do not have a dress watch. But I just saw the Oris Aquis GMT, and although it is a very different style, I also like it...I confess I like divers

I think I will stick to my first idea, the Sinn (although I don’t like the date window very much ...) but not 100% sure

any views? Other suggestions?

Omega Seamaster GMT is a beauty and about your price range

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    When also in your position I bought a Sinn 857 UTC LH Cargo. I was drawn to the proprietary technology in the watch and the orange accents on the dial.

Tough as nails too.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    When also in your position I bought a Sinn 857 UTC LH Cargo. I was drawn to the proprietary technology in the watch and the orange accents on the dial.

Tough as nails too.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I had the normal version of the 857. To be honest, it could be the only watch you'll ever need.

Help GMT options

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I had the normal version of the 857. To be honest, it could be the only watch you'll ever need.
    +1 for the 857. One watch? Crazy talk. :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT

Is that in the OP’s budget? I’ve been looking for this one for a while but not seen one anything like £2k. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Thank you all. omega is a beauty, but I already have an Omega (Planet Ocean) and I would like a change. Seiko Spring drive I guess is out of my range price. Sinn 856 could be an option. Reading now the details about it and you’re right amazing proprietary technology. Still trying to make up my mind !

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    Is that in the OP’s budget? I’ve been looking for this one for a while but not seen one anything like £2k. Am I looking in the wrong places?

I’m possibly likely dreaming! Closer to £4k I think on secondary market. And generally hard to find as not many dealers stock it

Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Thank you all. omega is a beauty, but I already have an Omega (Planet Ocean) and I would like a change. Seiko Spring drive I guess is out of my range price. Sinn 856 could be an option. Reading now the details about it and you’re right amazing proprietary technology. Still trying to make up my mind !
    Spring drive is out of your current budget. How do you feel about GS GMT quartz?

https://chrono24.app/seiko/grand-sei...GB&SETCURR=GBP

Spring drive is out of your current budget. How do you feel about GS GMT quartz?

That is a really nice looking watch

Very nice watch, but not very much fan of quartz really

Craftsman
    Could save up and go for a NOMOS Zürich Weltzeit?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Are you fussy about how the gmt operates? Travellers or office gmt?

If you want travellers then your options are quite limited at that budget. All I can find are the Hamilton broadway gmt limited edition for about £900 and various alpinas. There are a few seiko (not grand) that may be in budget 2nd hand but they are hens teeth.

Office GMT’s are much easier to find from the rat of Rolex homages from steinhart, squale, Davosa et al. To more original fare from breitling or pretty much any other manufacturer.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Are you fussy about how the gmt operates? Travellers or office gmt?

If you want travellers then your options are quite limited at that budget. All I can find are the Hamilton broadway gmt limited edition for about £900 and various alpinas. There are a few seiko (not grand) that may be in budget 2nd hand but they are hens teeth.

Office GMT’s are much easier to find from the rat of Rolex homages from steinhart, squale, Davosa et al. To more original fare from breitling or pretty much any other manufacturer.

Whats the difference between traveller and office....excuse my ignorance

Master
    Travellers GMT:

Jump on a plane, get to where you are going, move hour hand to local time.
    GMT hand stays on home time.
    No need to hack watch or bugger about.

Office GMT:
    Pain.

Journeyman
    I don’t wish to hijack the OP’s thread but I’ve always wondered what the purpose of a GMT is. Are we really saying it’s so hard to change the time by an hour or ten when your plane lands?

(I know this question is an extension of mechanical watches in general being an anachronism but is there an original reason for this?)

I don’t wish to hijack the OP’s thread but I’ve always wondered what the purpose of a GMT is. Are we really saying it’s so hard to change the time by an hour or ten when your plane lands?

(I know this question is an extension of mechanical watches in general being an anachronism but is there an original reason for this?)

The GMT function allows you to see at a glance the time where you are now and in another time zone. I used to use the function when I was in sales and ringing customers in the US. Some can also be set to read a total of three time zones.

Because it is a handy and wanted feature for many people, demand + supply and all that I expect.

Master
    basic difference is

office
    24 hour gmt hand jumps without stopping the second hand (hacking) by hours when adjusted to show a distant timezone, so if you are in the uk(local) you can set the GMT hand to the California office to see how narked they will be when you phone them.

traveler
    As above, the local time hour hand jumps without hacking the movement by hours when adjusted. This makes it very easy to set the gmt hand to your home time and then adjust the local time to your new time zone when you land without syncing with a time signal. Also, if present, a date complication is usually tied to the local hand to show the date correctly when crossing date lines etc.

A third time zone can be tracked by use of a rotating bezel a la GMT Master II, Tudor GMT etc.

I particularly love Breitlings B35 movement (unitime) implementation which gives you a world time complication and a jumping adjustable hour hand that combines a Travelers GMT and world time very nicely.

Both types have their place and uses so I guess it depends on how (if) you are going to use them. If you travel a lot and want to be able to phone the wife or home office at the right times then a traveler is a must i'd say, if you don't travel but want to track a second time zone or just like the look of a 24 hour bezel and 4 hands then an office would be ok. Like so many things in this hobby though heart usually overrules head and so I fall firmly into the second category but still yearn for a travelers style GMT.

Then there are ana/digi watches like the Breitling Aerospace and B series or Omegas, or Tissot touch...

Of course if you are totally practical you'd get a radio controlled Seiko or citizen and be done with it but where's the fun in that.

I really like the Alpina Startimer Pilot Heritage GMT, in both salmon and blue dial. Something a little different...

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...f-al-555rgs4h6

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    basic difference is

office
    24 hour gmt hand jumps without stopping the second hand (hacking) by hours when adjusted to show a distant timezone, so if you are in the uk(local) you can set the GMT hand to the California office to see how narked they will be when you phone them.

traveler
    As above, the local time hour hand jumps without hacking the movement by hours when adjusted. This makes it very easy to set the gmt hand to your home time and then adjust the local time to your new time zone when you land without syncing with a time signal. Also, if present, a date complication is usually tied to the local hand to show the date correctly when crossing date lines etc.

A third time zone can be tracked by use of a rotating bezel a la GMT Master II, Tudor GMT etc.

I particularly love Breitlings B35 movement (unitime) implementation which gives you a world time complication and a jumping adjustable hour hand that combines a Travelers GMT and world time very nicely.

Both types have their place and uses so I guess it depends on how (if) you are going to use them. If you travel a lot and want to be able to phone the wife or home office at the right times then a traveler is a must i'd say, if you don't travel but want to track a second time zone or just like the look of a 24 hour bezel and 4 hands then an office would be ok. Like so many things in this hobby though heart usually overrules head and so I fall firmly into the second category but still yearn for a travelers style GMT.

Then there are ana/digi watches like the Breitling Aerospace and B series or Omegas, or Tissot touch...

Of course if you are totally practical you'd get a radio controlled Seiko or citizen and be done with it but where's the fun in that.

Cheers, never knew there was a difference.

dropping knowledge!

Apprentice

Tudor GMT

Perhaps wait for the Tudor GMT to start dropping price on the used market. There was an issue with the date wheel on release apparently so just be careful of that. Chronometer certified which is great. After the next Basel world demand for this GMT could drop off it there in another distraction. Also had a couple of friend on waiting lists and they seem to be coming in now...... which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWatch View Post
    Perhaps wait for the Tudor GMT to start dropping price on the used market. There was an issue with the date wheel on release apparently so just be careful of that. Chronometer certified which is great. After the next Basel world demand for this GMT could drop off it there in another distraction. Also had a couple of friend on waiting lists and they seem to be coming in now...... which is good.
    Agree - save up a bit while you’re on waiting list and pay retail for a new one. Probably the best option pound for pound

Thank you all! I am learning a lot. After reading all your suggestions I came to a couple of conclusions: traveller for me and save up a bit

Journeyman
    P.s., how much are those seamaster gmts going for?

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    P.s., how much are those seamaster gmts going for?
    Around the £2k mark, they're great value on the second hand market at the moment.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Around the £2k mark, they're great value on the second hand market at the moment.
    Cheers, will have a butchers as that seems great bang for buck to me

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    Cheers, will have a butchers as that seems great bang for buck to me
    Isn’t a Dive watch with a GMT feature just a little confused?

Unless you’re swimming across time zones. Do People do that?

Unless you’re swimming across time zones. Do People do that?

I don't see why, would have thought the main time most folks get use our of their GMT function is on holiday with a good chance of swimming and diving whilst there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I don't see why, would have thought the main time most folks get use our of their GMT function is on holiday with a good chance of swimming and diving whilst there.
    Diver with a GMT function is super useful, especially when the GMT hand is less obtrusive. Here's an older Omega that can be had for just over 2k used.

Let me begin by saying that I am a sucker for GMTs, particularly the ‘traveller’ variety, so nothing that follows is to be seen as prejudice against this complication.

However:

1. You lose the quickset date function. Not too much of a problem if it is your everyday watch as you will only have to wind it forward 24 hours or more 5 times a year but it has to be set against the convenience of an easy hour change when you cross a time zone.

2. Loss of the quickset date is more of an issue if you wear it only occasionally – and if you don’t only wear it occasionally what are you doing here? - because you may find the date is a long way out when you pick it up again which will involve much winding (on the marsh*)

3. An ‘office’ GMT works quite happily as a ‘traveller’ GMT. Simply adjust the 24 hour hand to local time and use that. Leave the hour hand on UK time for phoning home. Not, perhaps, an ideal solution but it works.

4. How accurate do you want our watch to be? A couple of weeks ago I was in Italy wearing my PRS68 which loses 5s/d if worn 24/7 - and on holiday you want to wear a watch 24/7 so you know exactly what time the earthquake/tornado/hen party woke you up. It was 20 secs slow when I put it forward an hour – or, more precisely, one hour plus one minute - on the plane. It was then about 30 seconds fast but getting better by the day. Five days later, we arrive back in the UK and the watch goes back an hour. It was pretty much spot on and at no time in the previous 12 days had it been more then 30 seconds out.

5. You can always buy a watch with a 12 hour bezel.

6. You can always buy a Seiko quartz and have none of these problems.

7. Better yet, buy a Citizen Chronomaster.

8. None of these things work if you go to India.

* I put that in for older Forum members

For a grand you could get this which is a dressy 600m diver

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Travellers GMT:

Jump on a plane, get to where you are going, move hour hand to local time.
    GMT hand stays on home time.
    No need to hack watch or bugger about.

Office GMT:
    Pain.
    Alternatively, with the office GMT, jump on plane move GMT hand to local time and leave normal hands on home time. No pain at all, no buggering about and no hacking involved either. And most importantly no need to spend a fortune on your GMT

Journeyman
    Can only find that 1st seamaster gmt in one place and not the white faced one. if anyone sees one on their travels please post if possible

Purely a subjective thing but IMO, best looking GMT not named Rolex or Tudor is

[url=https://postimg.cc/hf1RpkQh]

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

Better than the Omega seamaster gmt?

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Alternatively, with the office GMT, jump on plane move GMT hand to local time and leave normal hands on home time. No pain at all, no buggering about and no hacking involved either. And most importantly no need to spend a fortune on your GMT
    The pain then is that the date will change with the normal hands, not the GMT hand.

Better than the Omega seamaster gmt?

Looks wise,yes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

I quite like that a lot! Makes sense to have the 24hr markers on the rehaut and bezel. Still don't see why people say the Rolex and Tudors can do 3 timezones when that's missing.