closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glashutte Appreciation Thread.

Master

Glashutte Appreciation Thread.

I thought I'd start one as a search didn't throw much up except a few mostly positive comments. My search for an alternative to my Rolex DJ ended with one of these as a complete contrast. They seem more under the radar than many others yet are well made in house with some intriguing designs.
    I chose this one with a 36 calibre and so far is as accurate as my Rolex. (only had it since Monday)
    So show us your Glashuttes or what you fancy and why or even why not. I blame this forum for my sins......

Just the one stunning and accurate. Only worn on occasion though

Master
    I'm another fan of the brand and this is a Senator Excellence which also has the new 'type 36' movement.

The company is owned by Swatch, and seems most popular in Asia. Here, in the UK, Swatch make almost no effort. Which is a shame as GO make some very classy watches. Inevitably, they live in the shadow of the mighty ALS, based in the same little town and with the same Saxony watchmaking traditions. But GO can stand on its own feet.....
    Timekeeping of my watch is, if anything, slightly better than my Rolex. These are serious watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th September 2018 at 10:07.

Craftsman
    Going to watch this thread with interest as I have just started looking at this brand... The two watches I like are:
    PanoReserve

PanoMaticLunar

Master

Sport Evolution!

The Sport Evolution GMT is one watch I still kick myself for selling. I loved this watch (I also loved the non-GMT version), the large date is beautifully implemented, GMT function is super accessible, and — of course — the best and most adjustable bracelet ever!

(Image taken from https://watch-consultant.com/glashut...on-gmt-review/).

I wonder if Glashutte would ever go down the sporty route again?

simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Just the one stunning and accurate. Only worn on occasion though

Looking great Rusty. Dam I knew I should not have opened this thread, I want another now after seeing my old watch on Rusty's wrist.

Master
    I like them.

I had the earlier version of this one but regrettably let it go, fortunately I now have the later version:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great watches for the money.
    My long gone but not forgotten 70’s

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Going to watch this thread with interest as I have just started looking at this brand... The two watches I like are:
    PanoReserve

PanoMaticLunar
    Both lovely - the moonphase arguably much prettier (including the much more visible movement as its auto) but the reserve arguably more practical complication.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Looking great Rusty. Dam I knew I should not have opened this thread, I want another now after seeing my old watch on Rusty's wrist.
    Sorry

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Lovely......

Craftsman

Glashutte Appreciation Thread.

I love the Panoreserve. Still can’t decide which dial - currently tending towards the grey....
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 20th September 2018 at 15:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I love the Panoreserve. Still can’t decide which dial - currently tending towards the grey....
    Grey is beautiful -- but I couldn't resist the blue.

Also have the Senator Excellence for (mostly) formal wear . . .

And the Sport Evo Pano for casual . . .

None of these pieces is going anywhere (until I'm in my box, at least)!

Master
    Three of them. A wise man of taste.

Craftsman
    Nice....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Three of them. A wise man of taste.
    In fact I'm a bit of a fan of the little town of Glashütte (pop. 7,000). I have five watches made there (but only the three you see above are GOs).

I'm planning a visit there in three weeks time.

I also went with the blue Panoreserve. My best and favourite in my collection.

Also planning a visit to Glashütte in early December.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    In fact I'm a bit of a fan of the little town of Glashütte (pop. 7,000). I have five watches made there (but only the three you see above are GOs).

I'm planning a visit there in three weeks time.
    We have been twice but only inside the Nomos factory and up to their observatory; seems amazing to me that so many wonderful watches are made by such different companies in such a small area. Hope you have a great visit.

Really fancy one of these

I've had quite a few GOs, actually, but the one that's stuck is the Senator Perpetual Calendar . This one is from 2011, and is the version preceding the current modal. Nicer dial and better size, IMO, although that's obviously a subjective view. Anyway, it's a lovely thing...

This was the one that originally turned me on to G.O. - there was an example which bounced around Sales Corner about a decade ago at a very fair price:

And this is the one which has currently caught my eye - just because it's so defiantly not a Sub clone:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    The Sport Evolution GMT is one watch I still kick myself for selling. I loved this watch (I also loved the non-GMT version), the large date is beautifully implemented, GMT function is super accessible, and — of course — the best and most adjustable bracelet ever!

simon

I have asked this question -- though, regrettably, not directly of the top management. The answer I got was that it was not part of their strategy any longer. Perhaps Swatch has decided that sports watches at the upper end should be left to Blancpain -- or maybe it really was an internal decision; looking around the offerings from Glashütte (Lange, Grossmann, GO, Nomos, Tutima, Wempe, Mühle, Union, etc.) there is hardly a sports model on offer anywhere.

Master
    Big fan of them here too. Unfortunately despite being the buyer of both Gladders' GMT & Lomax99's SE i went through a phase of flipping that saw them sold off to make way for something new.

Regretted both sales immensely so whilst on holiday in NY a few years ago i bought this:

which i know will kill me on resale should i ever be daft enough to do that again, but was very happy to have got one.

Luckily someone answered my WTB & i was able to source this earlier in the year too

Superb quality & a little different to the masses (imho).

My photography might not be up to scratch for this thread, but I love my Panomatic Lunar XL (42mm, Ruthenium dial)

Cheers,

Plug

Here is my story>>>>

I got my first modern Glashutte Original after a visit to their booth at Baselworld in 2006.

My first Glashütte Original became a first-generation Sport Evolution with one line of red text and the white background of the panorama date window.

Then it did not take long before I realized that the Caliber 90 attracted me enormously. And when I get that feeling so I know that it is only matter of time
    before it becomes a fact. What attracted me most was then a PanoMatciLunar which then took place in my collection.

In order to achieve a sportier look so I equipped it with a steel bracelet.

The Caliber 90

The next question I asked myself was: I have no Glashütte Original chronograph so what was better suited than that when setting its sights on a timeless one.

Also this one with a steel bracelet.

A few years later, so put Glashütte Original new ideas into my head again at Baselworld when they present a PanoInverse made of steel that I can not resist.
    Yes, you see where we are going, I guess.

Suddenly I have become a stealth watch with duplex balance at the "dial" side.

Furthermore this company continues to elude me and move on in my bones when they take a watch and refines it further and serve the new PanoMaticLunar slammed on
    me yet again on the treacherous place popularly known as Baselworld. This is not a fair game in progress, as I can of course not recover from the shock before the
    next one comes. Of course, so ended such with me, also with the steel bracelet.

Then history repeats itself again when Glashütte Original is the idea of updating The Senator Observer with exactly what it lacked, Luminova. This dial is probably
    among the most classy that I own, I can look at it for hours.

This must be seen in the dark.

The question I ask myself now is: How will this end?

Master
    Blog Entries
    That particular watch is sitting on my wrist as I type. It has the new deep blue dial colour after Swatch damaged one of the indices during a service.

This dial is probably

I wondered when your watches and pics would show up. This is my favourite of both

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    I got my first modern Glashutte Original after a visit to their booth at Baselworld in 2006.

My first Glashütte Original became a first-generation Sport Evolution with one line of red text and the white background of the panorama date window.

Then it did not take long before I realized that the Caliber 90 attracted me enormously. And when I get that feeling so I know that it is only matter of time
    before it becomes a fact. What attracted me most was then a PanoMatciLunar which then took place in my collection.

In order to achieve a sportier look so I equipped it with a steel bracelet.

The Caliber 90

The next question I asked myself was: I have no Glashütte Original chronograph so what was better suited than that when setting its sights on a timeless one.

Also this one with a steel bracelet.

A few years later, so put Glashütte Original new ideas into my head again at Baselworld when they present a PanoInverse made of steel that I can not resist.
    Yes, you see where we are going, I guess.

Suddenly I have become a stealth watch with duplex balance at the "dial" side.

Furthermore this company continues to elude me and move on in my bones when they take a watch and refines it further and serve the new PanoMaticLunar slammed on
    me yet again on the treacherous place popularly known as Baselworld. This is not a fair game in progress, as I can of course not recover from the shock before the
    next one comes. Of course, so ended such with me, also with the steel bracelet.

Then history repeats itself again when Glashütte Original is the idea of updating The Senator Observer with exactly what it lacked, Luminova. This dial is probably

This must be seen in the dark.

The question I ask myself now is: How will this end?
    I love the first one you bought so much. Never see them for sale really

Journeyman
    Glashütte watches are fantastic, one thing i’d like to know is how accurate have owners found them. Watch reviews don’t really mention this with any brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    My photography might not be up to scratch for this thread, but I love my Panomatic Lunar XL (42mm, Ruthenium dial)

Cheers,

Plug
    I need to pull my one out for a ride. I love my GO, always brings a smile when I wear it, but I unfortunately don't wear it enough. And yet I couldn't bear parting with it given its discontinued and the XL version lended the panomatic a nice sporty look with the grey dial....Unless Tony ever sells his gorgeous PC

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post

simon
    I was wondering that my self , i love the sport divers , i find the current range too dressy for my taste at the moment, but this hobby changes like the weather .

I have always been tempted, have my sights set on a BLNR but for an extra £500-£700 you can get a nice panomatic lunar on a bracelet. They do look really nice

Master
    This looks like it's the same (or similar) bracelet to what they offer for the Panoreserve. Can you tell me what it's like in terms of comfort / microadjustment? Whenever I take a look in the usual GO dealers in the UK I tend to be able to find a Panoreserve to try but never on a bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    This looks like it's the same (or similar) bracelet to what they offer for the Panoreserve. Can you tell me what it's like in terms of comfort / microadjustment? Whenever I take a look in the usual GO dealers in the UK I tend to be able to find a Panoreserve to try but never on a bracelet.
    I believe it's the same too. In which case I can tell you that this bracelet is one of the best engineered bracelets I've come across. Firstly the links are incredibly tight and well secured and I recall the bracelet being very solid and having a good feeling of heft/security about it. Removing a link for size adjustment requires a screwdriver but is relatively easy to do. From memory the glidelock adjustment on the clasp will give you a spread of about one to one and half cm's; more than enough for a comfort adjustment and roughly the size of a removable link. What was also very nice was the adjustment button is hidden in the clasp, so you don't have to take the watch off to adjust it, and is engraved with Glashutte logo too. To my mind everything is cleverly done, well engineered and with good quality components. Polished centre links weren't a problem to me either. I think it would look great on a Panoreserve

Master
    I believe it's the same too. In which case I can tell you that this bracelet is one of the best engineered bracelets I've come across. :
    I should have known really shouldn't I! Thanks for the thorough review, it's only increased my desire for a Panoreserve. Blue has always been the front running colour for me but black keeps sneaking in to the back of my mind. If anyone has had success negotiating with ADs on these please PM!

I’d love a bracelet for mine

I’d love a bracelet for mine
    Me too - i think they cost in the region of £1.5k?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Me too - i think they cost in the region of £1.5k?
    Ye that ain’t happening

Ye that ain’t happening
    Aye. I wonder if we put in a bulk order we get a discount?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Aye. I wonder if we put in a bulk order we get a discount?
    Ye 80% off would be nice

Master
    Nah....don't like all those modern baubles

P9050525 copy-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

I enjoyed owning this simple, but gorgeous GO Navigator.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've had quite a few GOs, actually, but the one that's stuck is the Senator Perpetual Calendar . This one is from 2011, and is the version preceding the current modal. Nicer dial and better size, IMO, although that's obviously a subjective view. Anyway, it's a lovely thing...

This is my grail. Sigh! Some day! I do have the GO senator moonphase. Absolutely stunning watch, purchased in Dec 2015 from Iconic Watches.
    Bit confused, the GO shows 2 perpetual calendars, this one - called the Senator Perpetual Calendar (100-02-22-12-14) and the Senator Excellence Perpetual Calendar (Ref No 1-36-02-01-02-70). Have they stopped making your model.
    Please say 'no' I'll be heart broken

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    This is my grail. Sigh! Some day! I do have the GO senator moonphase. Absolutely stunning watch, purchased in Dec 2015 from Iconic Watches.
    Bit confused, the GO shows 2 perpetual calendars, this one - called the Senator Perpetual Calendar (100-02-22-12-14) and the Senator Excellence Perpetual Calendar (Ref No 1-36-02-01-02-70). Have they stopped making your model.
    Please say 'no' I'll be heart broken
    The first one you mentioned - with the superb cal. 100 movement - is the newer version of mine. I much prefer it as it was, though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The first one you mentioned - with the superb cal. 100 movement - is the newer version of mine. I much prefer it as it was, though.
    Likewise. Don't quite fancy the new leap year display, I prefer the red dot - more subtle. But I gather the Cal 36 has a 100 Hr reserve. Cal 100 is around 72 hours isn't it? The bad news is now we have a GO dealer in Glasgow
    Some day............

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I also went with the blue Panoreserve. My best and favourite in my collection.

These look superb!

What’s the going rate second hand for blue/grey dial?

Always fancied a sport evolution GMT,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Got this early in the week!

Amazing watch.

PanoInverse.

Craftsman

For those interested in Glashütte (i'm certainly a fan) here is a cross reference to my report on a visit to the village last October:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=pilgrimage

That time I could not get access to any manufacturer, despite a lot of emailing with GO. Next month I am visiting the area again, and this time I have an invitation to visit Moritz Grossmann. Will report back again, but doubt they will allow photography.

My current Glashütte collection comprises:
    -- MG Benu Power Reserve (cal. 100.2)
    -- MG Atum Pure M white (cal. 201.1)
    -- GO Panoreserve (cal. 65-01)
    -- GO Senator Excellence (cal. 36-01)
    -- GO Sport Evolution Panoramadatum (cal. 39-42)
    -- Nomos Zürich Braungold (cal. Epsilon)

Craftsman
    So simple but for me one of the best around when you factor in the price.