closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White as a car colour - thoughts?

Master

White as a car colour - thoughts?

I need to replace my stolen car with a used but low mileage replacement. White seems to be quite common for resale. Would it be a poor choice? Thoughts welcome.

Depends if you like white cars . Personally apart from a few models, not for me.

IMO the "white moment" has gone now - some cracking colour palettes around - the new green on the new audi S5 diesel as an example

I think the market will become flooded with older white cars - grey, silver or black the best for resale IMO

Master
    Depends on your taste, I had a metallic white one and thought it was fantastic, have a metallic black now so what do I know!

My guess: white's time has passed, and in three or four years white cars will look as dated as silver ones do now.

I wouldn't go grey, because it is the new white, and fwiw I reckon burnt orange (not brown) will be fashionable in a year or two, along with my preference (and what I bought recently) emerald green. And not flat, obviously.

Master
    I agree with the above, white was "en vogue" for a couple of years, personally I'm not sure why, as i don't think it does a nice looking car any favours.

En vogue?
    Is that like in fashion?
    White is fine...wouldn't put me off...never been a fashionista anyway.
    How a manufacturer can charge an additional £500 for a colour is a mystery to me.
    Not talking fancy metallics containing unobtainium here either...just plain old school colours.

Well it was the third most popular car colour for new registrations last year, so hardly had its day, and as for green WTF (note I'm in a minority and actually like a few shades of green and have owned four green cars over the years).
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well it was the third most popular car colour for new registrations last year, so hardly had its day, and as for green WTF (note I'm in a minority and actually like a few shades of green and have owned four green cars over the years).
    lots of cars are on lease - and white is a "free" colour - so leasers don't wish to over pay - it's cheap - its free - its not my thing

Craftsman
    I think white looks good on some cars and will still remain in fashion as those models filter down the supply chain, so it all depends on how long you plan to keep it. I wouldn't be buying a diesel now though and hunted high and low for a manual petrol CRV when I was looking for a used one last year.

When I had a car business, I would actively discourage customers from choosing green, even if it did have a fancy name like "Goodwood Green" or "Ultimate Green".

https://www.autoglym.com/blog/2017/0...c-car-colours/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    En vogue?
    Is that like in fashion?

Yip. Like all consumer products, trends come and go. I think white has gone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    UN.........

Craftsman
    Mrs R was in the market for new car recently, ended up with another Mini but...
    We looked at a white Audi A1 which the salesman informed us was a premium colour. I had to LOL as the kids say.

I'd have a white car again, no problem. Its appeal is hugely enhanced by black trim, (handles and roof rails, if any) and dark tinted windows. Like the look of it.
    I'd even push for black painted alloys too.
    Keep it clean all round and it's a winner for me.

Blog Entries
    Most popular the year before, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    lots of cars are on lease - and white is a "free" colour - so leasers don't wish to over pay - it's cheap - its free - its not my thing

Quoted for posterity.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    This is a bit of a soapbox subject for me. I'm an automotive bottom feeder, paying 1-4k for circa 10 year old cars. The stock at the moment is nearly all resale white, resale grey or resale silver (i.e. metallic grey) or occasionally resale black. Buy the colour you want, live a little, buy a slightly cheaper car and have it in a colour that makes you smile for goodness sake.

Whenever I see a new car in an interesting colour I feel like going up and shaking the owners hand. You occasionally see BMW M3s in that lovely RAFish blue, well done that man (or woman, but lets face it, less likely).

I've already got my eye on the current Mazda 6 estate, a lovely looking car, especially in red and there seem to be plenty that colour.

On the right car, the most unlikely shades of green work:

Last edited by Jeremy67; 24th September 2019 at 15:00.

I never clean a car enough, and who would going to a construction site everyday.. So never liked white. The burnt red/brown I see a bit is nice though.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Green works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I don’t mind white cars, it’s red I dislike for some reason. Safest bet is always black or gunmetal grey I’d say but as with watches, buy what you like the best!

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I don’t mind white cars, it’s red I dislike for some reason. Safest bet is always black or gunmetal grey I’d say but as with watches, buy what you like the best!
    Black is the worst colour if you like a clean looking car!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Black is the worst colour if you like a clean looking car!
    After 50 yrs in the Funeral business i can only agree with the above i really hate black cars they are murder to keep clean we have a white car and i have absolutely no problem with the colour as the missus mentioned why are all cars now grey?
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I quite like white cars, I had a white A4 and my current CC is white, suits them both I think.
    If Im honest, I don't really care what colour my car is, when I had company cars, I always let my kids pick the colour, they loved it! Luckily, there isn't really a 'bad' choice these days.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    White always reminds me of the old ex police cars you used to be able to pick up for next to nowt in the auctions.

I agree that some cars look good in white but it would be the last choice on my list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Quoted for posterity.
    Oh well done.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Some of the metallic whites look really smart. I would be happy with a white car. My wife’s got a white A3 and looks good imo. I had a black car years ago and never again

Grand Master
    I dislike white cars intensely, some look like bloody fridges on wheels (SUVs) I was surprised when white became fashionable again. I’ve owned 3 over the years, all bought second- hand, so I didn’t choose the colour, but I’d never have another. My enthusiasm for cleaning cars is very limited thesedays, I prefer a colour that can wear a layer of dirt without looking dirty, my current car is dark metallic blue and that fits the bill.

What does surprise me is re-emergence of flat dowdy greys and beiges, a real eyesore especially with black alloy wheels.

I’ve never owned a black car, I like black but it has to look clean, it doesn’t pass my ‘wear a layer of dirt’ test so it wouldn’t be my choice.

Just buy the colour you like. If it's an unpopular colour presumably will be cheaper to buy now.

White as a car colour - thoughts?

Depends on the car really. Think it looks good on the new Corolla. And at no extra cost :)

Last edited by Toshk; 24th September 2019 at 19:50.

It totally depends on the car I think. Some look great in white, and others look awful...Discovery 4 for example looked like an ice cream van.

Craftsman
    Wouldn’t be my first choice but have owned a couple in the past.

Very much depends on what model of car whether you can get away with white or not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Green works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I saw this at MB World last weekend...awesome colour the pic doesn’t do it justice

I think it depends on the auto. I own a couple of Range Rovers, one of which is white ( my old P38) my new L405 on the other hand is green. My daughter has a white Genesis G90. White is IMHO an elegant color but not for everyone.

Craftsman
    We just got rid of our white car..... it looked great when clean but it annoyed me that we had to clean it so often.

As other have said it very much depends on the actual car. Sometimes white looks great however sometimes it just looks to plain and boring.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Poverty spec.

Craftsman
    On an Audi Q7 the only free colour is flat black . White is £650 extra ....!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A blast from the past on this very topic. And when white cars were all the rage.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=white+cars

My opinion: white is NOT a color, but the absence of color. I would never, ever own a white car...a car without color. It is the ultimate in 'blah.'

Craftsman
    White cars were nice about 20 years ago when it was unusual. The only white car I've owned was my 1998 Honda Integra Type R which was a beaut with white wheels too.

If you have a white car now it just looks like you lease it!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My opinion: white is NOT a color, but the absence of color. I would never, ever own a white car...a car without color. It is the ultimate in 'blah.'
    Surely black is the absence of colour, white is all the colours

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Surely black is the absence of colour, white is all the colours
    Not with paint.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Not with paint.
    If your talking pigments, then yes, but colour is perceived by the light reflected
    Black has all the pigments, absence of colour
    White has no pigments, all the colours

Anyway, my new (leased) car is gonna be blue, cos it's the free colour, white and black were extra, not that i'd want either. If i was choosing, i'd go for grey or brown

Don’t think you can go wrong with black or white,they never really go out of fashion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    UN.........
    lol every time I see white Land Cruiser 200..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    White is usually the no cost option. Says it all really.

Mine is an off white metallic with a black roof. Very nice especially as my previous cars have all been Black (awful to keep clean) and Silver/Grey.

Not sure I would go for a flat brilliant white though.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Lots of nice colours out there but I’m a big fan of white on certain cars...and it’s not always a free option anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    White is usually the no cost option. Says it all really.
    Or red.

Generally flat colours are free and metallics are extra.

A huge amount of people buy white cars in hotter countries - Oz for example it's hugely popular and the first choice for many buyers.
    It's just a matter of time...

White will minimize the reflections and highlights on a car’s body, thereby making the car look bigger. In contrast, colours (and particularly darker ones) will pick up highlights, emphasize curves and swage lines, and break up large expanses which don’t add to visual flow. For this reason, I prefer darker colours (the deeper reds, darker blues, darker greens).

Blog Entries
    Or red.

Generally flat colours are free and metallics are extra.

A huge amount of people buy white cars in hotter countries - Oz for example it's hugely popular and the first choice for many buyers.
    It is true that darker colours get hotter in the sun. One reason I'm looking to get a lighter colour interior.