closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inheritence watch for a woman

Craftsman

Inheritence watch for a woman

Hi all,

Please excuse my request for help on this but I have no idea where to start and wondered if anyone here had any pointers or suggestions.

A friend at work knows that I have an interest in watches so assumed I might be able to help him decide on a watch to buy his daughter. As it happens, I'm a fan of vintage Seiko chronographs so am at a loss for what to suggest to him. He says he has a budget of around £5k (with a bit of wiggle room up to £7k, if needed) and wants to buy his daughter (mid-twenties) a watch that he hopes will become something she treasures for life. He's thinking that she will want a ladies watch but would rather the money was in the watch itself than on diamonds stuck onto the case, if you follow me!

As I said, I know this is a really vague question but if anyone has any constructive help they could offer in what to suggest, it would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Leon

Mint green Rolex Datejust 31

This

Got to be a date just at that money. So many sizes I'd suggest taking her to a shop to try one on. If you can find a shop with any stock.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Got to be a date just at that money. So many sizes I'd suggest taking her to a shop to try one on. If you can find a shop with any stock.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Tell him to ask her. 5k would be an expensive mistake.

Given the trend for ladies to wear oversized watches currently I’d start by not assuming the size of the watch. Ask what diameter watch she likes and start there.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the tips. I think taking her along will be the best bet but will see what he says.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Mint green Rolex Datejust 31

This
    Great suggestion.

Mostly likely to be a LadyJust28 or DateJust31.

Can't go wrong with jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel, everything else is preference.

The white dial with Roman numerals is a classic IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Tell him to ask her. 5k would be an expensive mistake.
    This ^^^^^^^^^ I took my wife to buy an OP, her choice was nothing near what I would have bought as a “ suprise”

Let the lady choose.

Steve.

I’d agree with taking her in to see what she likes. I was dead set on buying my wife a datejust with fluted bezel… took her in and she hated it. She ended up choosing an aqua terra with diamond dot dial, wasn’t even on my radar.

Craftsman
    Wise words and I have to agree. I can't imagine anyone buying me a watch!

I've passed on your tips but also suggested that he does indeed spoil the surprise and take her in with him. If he makes a day of it with lunch etc, it'll be part of the memory.

Thanks again,

L

From what I can see, only elderly women seem to wear tiny ladies watches now? My wife has small wrists and a 40mm dive watch looks great on her. The added bonus is they’re large enough to read the time on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    From what I can see, only elderly women seem to wear tiny ladies watches now? My wife has small wrists and a 40mm dive watch looks great on her. The added bonus is they’re large enough to read the time on!

This. My wife just wears men’s watches now, has sold all of her ladies rolex. Currently wears a Daytona and Explorer 2 and desperate for a 5711... slightly irritating as it eats into my watch budget

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’d suggest a Cartier - plenty of design choices that all scream elegant sophistication and come in a range of sizes. I always think of them as jewellery, but with a horological twist, as opposed to just a watch. Should be plenty of choice within the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I’d suggest a Cartier - plenty of design choices that all scream elegant sophistication and come in a range of sizes. I always think of them as jewellery, but with a horological twist, as opposed to just a watch. Should be plenty of choice within the budget.

Ditto

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Elderly women and a lot of TZ-UK members, although they probably qualify for the old woman category anyway 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post

It's a bit harsh on Cartier, one of the originators of the wristwatch, to categorise them as jewellery first. They're now a 'manufacture', but in the past have used movements by V-C, Piaget, Piguet and JLC in their watches.

But yes, they do make watches that will fit that budget, but might be seen as a bit old-fashioned (Roman numerals etc) for a young-ish lass.

JLC Reverso

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would suggest a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in 28 or 31mm.

Both are a classic size which is classy, available in a variety of modern and more traditional colours and will last a lifetime.

Craftsman
    36mm Explorer

Master
    I think this larger watches for women is a fad and something she may grow out of I think the women’s Rolexes always look good and will never go out of fashion

Master
    Blog Entries

Inheritence watch for a woman

Investment wise you can’t go wrong with a datejust. Green normally does well or the grey seem popular. I will say those colours are not necessarily the nicest if buying as keeper /wearer. Cartier is another shout or JLC reverso.

OP prices have gone mad and are on a huge waitlist.

Ladies aqua terra is nice, not an investment though.

Price wise datejust 28 £6250 , 31 £6,400. Both on fluted with jubilee bracelet. The jubilee has the hidden clasp. Top of my head it’s £150 cheaper on an oyster.

Domes bezel is circa £900 cheaper.
    Last edited by Middo; 19th June 2021 at 12:02.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think this larger watches for women is a fad and something she may grow out of I think the women’s Rolexes always look good and will never go out of fashion
    Agreed 28 mm is a fair chunk bigger than the outgoing 26mm lady datejust. The 31 mil seems to cover all bases.

I was surprised at omega offering 38mm AT in the women’s range.

Master
    Blog Entries

This is 34mm

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think if you visited a High Street jewellers over the last 10-15 years ladies watches have clearly increased from ‘tiny, how can you tell the the time on that? ‘ size to what used to be more of a ‘boys sized’ watch. Not huge, but not tiny. And I include the ladies date just in the ‘tiny’ category. Some of the smaller sized yachtmasters, the mid sized Seamaster that Prince William wears for example, the blue bay 36 - are probably all ‘unisex’ watches. My wife is a Uk size 8-10 so quite petite but a slim 39mm divers watch doesn’t look silly or manly on her. All the watches I’ve mentioned would look daft on me - not because I’m a man, but because with close to 9 inch wrists a mid sized watch on me looks like a tiny ladies watch on a regular sized male wrist. I think legibility is the key for a ‘keep forever’ watch. As an aside, I have noticed ladies Rolex seem pretty poor at value retention compared to the ‘regular sized’ models.If that isn’t a sign that tastes have changed I don’t know what is!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    It's a bit harsh on Cartier, one of the originators of the wristwatch, to categorise them as jewellery first. They're now a 'manufacture', but in the past have used movements by V-C, Piaget, Piguet and JLC in their watches.

But yes, they do make watches that will fit that budget, but might be seen as a bit old-fashioned (Roman numerals etc) for a young-ish lass.
    This stems from Louis Cartier originally being a jeweller by trade and the jeweller of choice by the royal houses of Europe. He was known as the “King of Jewellers”.

It was only later that he detoured into watches, using his jewellers skills to create some of his iconic case designs.

Craftsman
    Thanks so much for all of your thoughts. It’s really appreciated. I’ve been passing your tips onto my colleague who’s really happy to have the guidance!