closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC RN 1980's bezel question

CWC RN 1980's bezel question

I came across an acrylic bezel which I believe is for a CWC RN Quartz diver issued around 1985-86.
    All the markings and fonts seem to match perfectly with the bezels from the above period.
    I would be really thankful if anyone having an issued quartz from the 80's could confirm the hight of the bezel.
    Mine is 3,65mm and a good fit even on my RN Auto Date from 2004.

Many thanks,
    Csaba

Last edited by witti; 3rd November 2019 at 16:32.

Master
    Terry Andrew's is most likely to help out. Drop him a pm he's a good guy.

Pretty sure this bezel was found on other branded watches (e.g. chrono sport). Or perhaps the bezel itself is specific to the CWC and it’s just the insert that’s common across other brands. Let me take a look.

Edit to add link. Take a look here for example...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/obsc...-2#post-221392
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 3rd November 2019 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Terry Andrew's is most likely to help out. Drop him a pm he's a good guy.
    Thanks, will try that

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    G'Day Csaba,

The bezel looks like its from a 85 - 86 Quartz. The height is usually around 3.60mm +/- 0.10 mm.

The 1980 CWC automatic bezel is around 4.30 mm +/- 0.10 mm high. The crystal is around 2.90 mm thick on the '80 model vs 2.50 mm on other CWC divers
    so the higher bezel protects the crystal better on the '80 auto. Having said that I've seen generic divers of that period with 3.60 mm acrylic bezels with the crystal
    protruding above the bezel.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Pretty sure this bezel was found on other branded watches (e.g. chrono sport). Or perhaps the bezel itself is specific to the CWC and it’s just the insert that’s common across other brands. Let me take a look.

Edit to add link. Take a look here for example...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/obsc...-2#post-221392
    I see. Although Looks like there are minor differences in fonts or simply the quality of production was not constant because I see cropped numbers often.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    G'Day Csaba,

The bezel looks like its from a 85 - 86 Quartz. The height is usually around 3.60mm +/- 0.10 mm.

The 1980 CWC automatic bezel is around 4.30 mm +/- 0.10 mm high. The crystal is around 2.90 mm thick on the '80 model vs 2.50 mm on other CWC divers
    so the higher bezel protects the crystal better on the '80 auto. Having said that I've seen generic divers of that period with 3.60 mm acrylic bezels with the crystal
    protruding above the bezel.

Terry
    Appreciate Terry, that's very informative and precise. Just what I was hoping for. I will keep an eye out on CWCs may an example with incorrect or damaged bezel appear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    I see. Although Looks like there are minor differences in fonts or simply the quality of production was not constant because I see cropped numbers often.

Appreciate Terry, that's very informative and precise. Just what I was hoping for. I will keep an eye out on CWCs may an example with incorrect or damaged bezel appear.
    I've been hunting a bezel for non CWC with similar case type. For example this cheapish watch seems to have similar bezel:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ELV...l/133227795301

Absolutely, there are many similar ones, but still seems to be hard to come by with identical, meaning matching fonts, no cropped numbers and in good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app