closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Loughborough 3D Printed Jet Suit!

Master
    Blog Entries

Loughborough 3D Printed Jet Suit!

Master
    I was watching that during my lunch time, crazy loud when he flew over us.
    He wanted to fly over the Design building to the right of this area, H&S freaked out.

Blog Entries
    I wonder how long before the military get hold of these? Or have they?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I suspect they have similar. I read something in Focus magazine years ago about a glorified pogo stick used to leap tall buildings, and a jet suit would allow similar capabilities.

How has this moved on from the rocket pack in the LA Olympics though?

Grand Master

Seems completely pointless for military use at present, too heavy, limited range, noisy, etc, etc.

These things are great for youtube videos, but very little practical use until someone manages to increase the efficiency and simplify the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Seems completely pointless for military use at present, too heavy, limited range, noisy, etc, etc.

These things are great for youtube videos, but very little practical use until someone manages to increase the efficiency and simplify the system.
    Could be used to reach top of tall building cross an obstacle (minefield?) etc.

Grand Master
    Pointless for the military,they be flying targets,how would they defend themselves in flight or as they land,their focus would be on flying and then landing safely,and with all that they'd wouldn't be carrying any weapons,and the range isn't or wouldn't be worth having a platoon of guys having them either.

I just see these as a "fun" application in the main.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Could be used to reach top of tall building cross an obstacle (minefield?) etc.

Don't know the ceiling for these, but it doesn't look great, doubt they'd use it to get to the top of a building rather than using the stairs, same with any minefield or the likes, you'd clear a route otherwise it's a bit pointless, the only use would be recce, but it's a bit noisy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Pointless for the military,they be flying targets,how would they defend themselves in flight or as they land,their focus would be on flying and then landing safely,and with all that they'd wouldn't be carrying any weapons,and the range isn't or wouldn't be worth having a platoon of guys having them either.

Much of the above could be said about parachutes but they seem to have been effectively adopted by the military. I imagine if these had existed during either of the world wars the fighting would have been very different. Imagine being able to “leap” over no mans land or sea defences.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Don't know the ceiling for these, but it doesn't look great, doubt they'd use it to get to the top of a building rather than using the stairs, same with any minefield or the likes, you'd clear a route otherwise it's a bit pointless, the only use would be recce, but it's a bit noisy!
    Don't see why there would be such a ceiling, probably didn't go too high on safety grounds.

https://youtu.be/yBe9bucYPcY

https://youtu.be/xL02e4L-RQo
    Last edited by Bravo73; 31st December 2019 at 11:53.

https://youtu.be/DeFFrHQxQVc

also looks pretty good fun

Grand Master

Non military venture by an ex marine i believe, those videos and others are more about press and publicity than any benefit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Much of the above could be said about parachutes but they seem to have been effectively adopted by the military. I imagine if these had existed during either of the world wars the fighting would have been very different. Imagine being able to “leap” over no mans land or sea defences.
    Parachutes are only used in small covert rolls, they learned the lessons of Arnhem and even though on paper they are a good asset strategically there are far to many risks to do a mass drop.

It’s just another gimmick that will break but someone will write a big cheque out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

Imagine a 2-man fly-board which fits into a suitcase and its potential rescue capabilities e.g. rescuing a secret service agent. Might already exist.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"