closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mexico in October

Mexico in October

Looking to book somewhere for October half term and considering Mexico.

Anyone been at that time of year recommendations for hotels to visit or avoid appreciated?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We go almost every year in October half term, you’ll be fine with most of the 5* places there all decent, we usually stay in hard rock or the grand moon palace, the hard rock riviera maya has epic skate/bike park next to it

I've travelled around Mexico, Guatemala and Belize extensively as I have a huge interest in central American history: Mayan, Aztec, Olmec etc. You'll be fine in any of the major tourist sites but definitely visit some of the ancient sites. I have zero interest in beach or pool based holidays and so tend to do activity based holidays: diving, paragliding, touring sites etc. Tulum has the resort, beaches and stunning (small) ancient site on the doorstep (and clifftop). If you stay in Cancun or that area a day trip to Uxmal will blow your mind.

Last edited by Skier; 27th May 2022 at 19:34.

Its been a while, but I far preferred the west coast of Mexico. Cabo San Lucas or Zihuatanejo are both a pain to reach but fab. If doing the Caribbean side then there are many small resorts much nicer than staying in Cancun. As stated, Chichen Itza is a must visit.

Be aware October is hurricane season - at least that should make it low season cost wise.
    Last edited by Halitosis; 27th May 2022 at 19:57.

I usually go more for the activity based holidays, but after shattering my knee skiing I need to take tings easier apparently!

The ancient ruins look interesting though. I think Cancun might be one to swerve, too many big hotels for my liking, although not sure anywhere else will be much better?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I've travelled around Mexico, Guatemala and Belize extensively as I have a huge interest in central American history: Mayan, Aztec, Olmec etc. You'll be fine in any of the major tourist sites but definitely visit some of the ancient sites. I have zero interest in beach or pool based holidays and so tend to do activity based holidays: diving, paragliding, touring sites etc. Tulum has the resort, beaches and stunning (small) ancient site on the doorstep (and clifftop). If you stay in Cancun or that area a day trip to Uxmal will blow your mind.

That region away from the tourism is fascinating, I spent 4 months in Belize so got to see it intimately. Not meant to be a plug but My cousin has https://pookshilllodge.com/ which gets you away from the beach side of holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

take out life insurance, mexico and brazil have a very bad reputation for brutal crime

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    take out life insurance, mexico and brazil have a very bad reputation for brutal crime
    Yes they do but if you're not into drug dealing and other serious crime you're simply not affected by it. In all my trips to the region I have never seen any crime and, to my knowledge, nor has anyone I've travelled with. I always feel completely safe walking around, for example, Mexico City though clearly stick to major routes. Compare that with Barcelona where (some 20 years ago when last there) I had my camera stolen in the first hour of arriving in the city, a friend had his wallet pick pocketed in a similar time frame and a Bureau de Change tried to rip off another friend a couple of hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Its been a while, but I far preferred the west coast of Mexico. Cabo San Lucas or Zihuatanejo are both a pain to reach but fab. If doing the Caribbean side then there are many small resorts much nicer than staying in Cancun. As stated, Chichen Itza is a must visit.

Be aware October is hurricane season - at least that should make it low season cost wise.
    I worked offshore Mexico for 5yrs, so only saw the predominantly non-tourist areas. But tales from Mexicans travelling back and fore to C del Carmen from their home towns spoke of many bus hijacks where the passengers were left stripped and robbed. If I returned to Mexico - it would be to a resort as I believe the authorities are keen to protect that revenue.

One American working closely with us - went into one of the restrooms at Mexico City Airport, an airport security guard stood at the door, while he was mugged for his Rolex in the restroom. Take a plastic Casio would be my enduring advice.

Hurricanes? Been in a couple out there, and the hurricane 'season' extends each year due to climate change. I'd go for a West Coast holiday just for that reason.

Hurricane season I’m afraid so like blackal said above try for the west coast. If you keep your wits about you and listen to your inner risk accessor you’ll be fine.
    Mexico is beautiful and the people are great, bonkers (maybe) but in the best way.

Last edited by Joe.K; 16th June 2022 at 03:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    Hurricane season I’m afraid so like blackal said above try for the west coast. If you keep your wits about you and listen to your inner risk accessor you’ll be fine.
    Mexico is beautiful and the people are great, bonkers (maybe) but in the best way.

We usually avoid east coast of Mexico, Florida or the Caribbean from late September to October due to the hurricane season, my wife’s birthday is mid November and when we’ve been at that time we’ve often seen the aftermath of a big storm late in the season.

Master
    It also has a very bad reputation for getting the runs etc. You eat out at your own risk.

Craftsman
    Blimey. What a take.

I’d be more concerned about the awful brits you’d encounter when in Cancun than getting murdered whilst in the country.

Isn’t it just like Benidorm but three times the price? That’s the impression I get.

Not quite the tourist area, but we had a Mexican supervisor in the C del Carmen office who was going home along the beach after a night out - Attackers beat him up, stripped him naked, robbed him, and by his own words - he realised that they were not going to let him live, and he ran, naked ........... 'like' his life depended upon it.

Months later (and prob even now) - his face was a total mess.

Some areas - being a 'Gringo', really makes you a target.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Blimey. What a take.

I’d be more concerned about the awful brits you’d encounter when in Cancun than getting murdered whilst in the country.

Isn’t it just like Benidorm but three times the price? That’s the impression I get.
    With you there, and at the wrong time of year the spring breakers - proving some nations struggle with booze, but almost amusing when they are silent on day 2.

Caribbean / the east, it is always someone's 'Spain' cost wise. Bali & Aussies, Americans & Caribbean etc

Mexico in November for us, a small boutique place away from the masses. Seen Chicken Itcher and found it frustrating when I wanted photos but the guide wanted to try and sell stuff through his friends,

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Blimey. What a take.

It’s not the Brits you need to worry about so much, more the Yanks and Canadians. But Benidorm at 3 times the price is a fair description. I lived in Canada for a few years and it is the mid-winter break a lot of people take. My last time I vowed would be my last.
    The resorts are safe though. Playa del Carmen feels dodgy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post

Agreed - Uxmal and Tikal were definitely the highlights of our trip.

Quite a few years since I was there but my 2pence worth:

a) some great places on the Pacific coast from Los Mochis right down to Puerto Escondido
    b) best ruins for me were at Palenque but they're not close to other places you'd be likely to go.

While I had a few things stolen in 4 months there, I always felt pretty safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Agreed - Uxmal and Tikal were definitely the highlights of our trip.
    And Chichen Itzá...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    And Chichen Itzá...
    To be honest, not so much.

Dry, dusty. hot and being within an easy one day coach trip distance for cruise liner daytrips it's too busy and far too many hawkers inside trying to sell you stuff to hang around and enjoy it. See the big pyramid, ballgame court etc and leave.

My general impression for the region is to go far enough away that day trippers from Cancun/PdC/ east coast resorts are less likely. Uxmal (4.5hrs each way), Palenque, Yaxchilan, Bonampak and Tikal were all much more atmospheric and enjoyable as they were quieter.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 20th June 2022 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    To be honest, not so much.

Dry, dusty. hot and being within an easy one day coach trip distance for cruise liner daytrips it's too busy and far too many hawkers inside trying to sell you stuff to hang around and enjoy it. See the big pyramid, ballgame court etc and leave.

My general impression for the region is to go far enough away that day trippers from Cancun/PdC/ east coast resorts are less likely. Uxmal (4.5hrs each way), Palenque, Yaxchilan, Bonampak and Tikal were all much more atmospheric and enjoyable as they were quieter.
    I visited those sites when I was 12, which was about half of century ago. I still remember most of the sites but you are correct the crowds, cruise passengers and hawkers were not a thing then. I know I was more impressed with Chichén Itzá at the time.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.