closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Champions league final

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    So what happened last week was the fault of the Liverpool and Madrid fans? And the French police/residents weren’t at fault?
    I'm sure that if the exact same events occurred but to fans of a French team playing in London there would be much blame here on the British handling of it and the French fans would be automatically be considered totally innocent.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 4th June 2022 at 08:57.

Master
    Trouble with fans getting into Stade de
    France last night for the France / Denmark game. Picture show thousand of people bottled necked outside trying to get it.

Must all be Liverpool fans without tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan, take a look at this and then apologise:

https://twitter.com/le_Parisien/stat...urope-61685718

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Ryan, take a look at this and then apologise:

https://twitter.com/le_Parisien/stat...urope-61685718
    More chance of Salah getting to give up all his personal accolades to replay the Champions League final!

Master
    Always the same in Paris
    Huge gangs of North African youths looking for trouble
    It’s been happening since at least as far back as 98 World Cup
    Brussels is similar for it.
    Just avoid .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Always the same in Paris
    Huge gangs of North African youths looking for trouble
    It’s been happening since at least as far back as 98 World Cup
    Brussels is similar for it.
    Just avoid .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Is it just a Paris problem or a France problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I would say Paris mainly because of the huge estates surrounding the city.

Lots of poverty, little government sympathy, a brutal, largely racist police force and it’s no wonder trouble kicks off. I imagine the police had no inclination to get involved because of the risk of inciting riots.

I’m sure someone French, who lives in Paris, can correct me if I’m wrong.

My now wife worked in Paris for a year back in the 90s and on one visit I vividly remember a young man behind me in a supermarket queue suddenly ranting to us in English about Algerians. I had no idea what he was talking about but over the years I learned there is no love lost between some French and their former colony. Same with their other former African colonies.

This is not an attack on the French btw. I love France and have missed visiting there since Covid. It has the same problems as any large multi-cultural country with a colonial past, especially in the dense urban areas. But can you imagine local youths being able to congregate in numbers, with weapons and get away with beating and robbing fans after a cup final over here? I can’t.

As for blaming fans and ticket forgery. Shameful.

Sorry to break it to you but Brussels is not in France (You know, Brussel, its stadium... rings a bell?)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

If that is indeed what happened and the chaos caused was due to poor policing and organisation then for sure I regret my comments about Liverpool fans and apologies for any offence caused.

Blog Entries
    I went to PSG v Chelsea in 2004 and there were large local gangs looking for trouble then but it seemed mostly football-related, i.e. no gangs simply out on the rob. Didn't have any problem in Bordeaux in 2009.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but Brussels is not in France (You know, Brussel, its stadium... rings a bell?)
    Ha ha yes I am aware of that, I was more interested in the issue in France being a countrywide problem or a Parisian issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I would say Paris mainly because of the huge estates surrounding the city.
    Think similar in other big cities like Marseille, Lyon.

Ha ha yes I am aware of that, I was more interested in the issue in France being a countrywide problem or a Parisian issue.
    I am sure you were aware of it. You may even remember what the name of the stadium was in 1985.
    It’s a football issue, but not only. English fans had a bad reputation before 1985. Not just them of course, but they did. And it was true in the UK as well (Millwall).
    Then there was the Heysel.
    The result was that English fans shouldered the bulk of the blame. As always, it was unfair because it was a bunch of drunken thugs that caused the issue, not «*the fans*» as a whole. But that’s how it was.
    It also meant that international football games involving a British team (I don’t think they differentiate much between UK and England) have been policed ever since with the Heysel in mind. It may be unfortunate but the same thugs made sure to give booster shots to European polices every now and then. So I fully understand that normal, decent English football fans believe they have been treated with undue harshness every time they visited, be it France, Belgium, Italy, etc.
    Now it is obvious that the French authorities were not prepared as they should have been, and improvisation in those circumstances is always likely to go pear shaped. It is also obvious they were not expecting the local thugs to prey upon the fans, with the same prejudices (they’ll be drunk and cannot afford to be armed).
    Again, the ongoing enquiry will hopefully highlight the multiple failings of the security services.
    But do not underestimate the legacy you carry around every time you travel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am sure you were aware of it. You may even remember what the name of the stadium was in 1985.
    It’s a football issue, but not only. English fans had a bad reputation before 1985. Not just them of course, but they did. And it was true in the UK as well (Millwall).
    Then there was the Heysel.
    The result was that English fans shouldered the bulk of the blame. As always, it was unfair because it was a bunch of drunken thugs that caused the issue, not «*the fans*» as a whole. But that’s how it was.
    It also meant that international football games involving a British team (I don’t think they differentiate much between UK and England) have been policed ever since with the Heysel in mind. It may be unfortunate but the same thugs made sure to give booster shots to European polices every now and then. So I fully understand that normal, decent English football fans believe they have been treated with undue harshness every time they visited, be it France, Belgium, Italy, etc.
    Now it is obvious that the French authorities were not prepared as they should have been, and improvisation in those circumstances is always likely to go pear shaped. It is also obvious they were not expecting the local thugs to prey upon the fans, with the same prejudices (they’ll be drunk and cannot afford to be armed).
    Again, the ongoing enquiry will hopefully highlight the multiple failings of the security services.
    But do not underestimate the legacy you carry around every time you travel.
    You make may good and totally valid points made, I am certainly not of those who defends the actions of all Liverpool fans come what may. To a degree I can also sympathise with fans of other teams feeling the actions of Liverpool fans have had a detrimental effect on them following their respective teams around Europe. I concede that the thugish actions of the selfish, often drunk, minority have meant that all British fans are stereotyped and treated somewhat harshly by the rest of the world.

I do not however understand fans from other British teams being quick to jump on to this stereotyping bandwagon and unfairly forming judgements, throwing baseless and slanderous accusations towards all fans of LFC.

It is sadly true that the British football fan, generally speaking, is known by the actions of the foolish few who have defined the kind of perception the majority hold about us, however this is not solely down to the Liverpool fans and your Millwall example is a good point in case.

Master
    Innocent mistake obviously!

Pricks

Quelle surprise!

Are they saying it’s automatically deleted after seven days unless somebody requests the tapes ? The article isn’t clear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Are they saying it’s automatically deleted after seven days unless somebody requests the tapes ? The article isn’t clear.
    Articles on there can only loosely be described as journalism. It's a terrible website I have to admit the quality of articles is horrifying.

Craftsman
    All CCTV is automatically deleted unless there is a reason to keep it such as investigations/criminal investigations. In this case, they are suggesting they have allowed it to lapse/delete because the authorities investigating the event and the individual cases haven’t requested it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/cctv-gerald-darmanin-champions-league-french-stade-de-france-b2097681.html?amp
    Last edited by GMC41; 10th June 2022 at 05:51.

Master
    That is genuinely funny. :-)

All CCTV is automatically deleted unless there is a reason to keep it such as investigations/criminal investigations. In this case, they are suggesting they have allowed it to lapse/delete because the authorities investigating the event and the individual cases haven’t requested it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...97681.html?amp
    OK , makes sense .
    But aren’t Merseyside Police carrying out an investigation into the trouble ?
    Couldn’t they have made a request for it ?
    The interview I saw seemed to suggest that the investigation was still focussing on fake tickets and not the violence outside the ground .
    Seems everyone is too busy covering their own backsides to ever get to the truth which is a very dangerous situation .

Craftsman
    OK , makes sense .
    But aren’t Merseyside Police carrying out an investigation into the trouble ?
    Couldn’t they have made a request for it ?
    The interview I saw seemed to suggest that the investigation was still focussing on fake tickets and not the violence outside the ground .
    Seems everyone is too busy covering their own backsides to ever get to the truth which is a very dangerous situation .
    Not sure how the Merseyside police investigation is structured but given that the French authorities are supposed to be carrying out an investigation and there has been multiple complaints of robbery and assault you would think the first action would be to retain any relevant footage.
    Last edited by GMC41; 10th June 2022 at 12:08.

Not sure how the Merseyside police investigation is structured but given that the French authorities are supposed to be carrying out an investigation and there has been multiple complaints of robbery and assault you would think the first action would be to retain any relevant footage.
    There’s just going to ba a cover up isn’t there ?
    UEFA can’t be found guilty, Liverpool fans can’t be found guilty and the authorities, SDF , local police won’t face any further action. There will be a couple of slapped wrists and the odd recommendation for future use.
    The stadium will be quietly put on the ‘ do not use’ list and football fans will go back to being pariahs .

...you would think the first action would be to retain any relevant footage.
    Or delete it before ineptitude and brutality are exposed.

Craftsman
    There’s just going to ba a cover up isn’t there ?
    UEFA can’t be found guilty, Liverpool fans can’t be found guilty and the authorities, SDF , local police won’t face any further action. There will be a couple of slapped wrists and the odd recommendation for future use.
    The stadium will be quietly put on the ‘ do not use’ list and football fans will go back to being pariahs .
    I like the way you are throwing the Liverpool fans into the mix with UEFA, the French authorities and the local police. I thought that was what you were alluding to when you mentioned Merseyside Police in your previous post.

If there is a cover up then it isn’t to protect Liverpool fans.

I like the way you are throwing the Liverpool fans into the mix with UEFA, the French authorities and the local police. I thought that was what you were alluding to when you mentioned Merseyside Police in your previous post.

If there is a cover up then it isn’t to protect Liverpool fans.
    Eh ?
    On the defensive much ?
    Do you honestly believe there were no fake tickets and /or Liverpool fans jibbing in ?
    I didn’t say the cover up was to protect Liverpool fans did I ?
    Following Ivan’s posts about fans just sitting / standing where they want , I’d be genuinely interested in your POV .

Craftsman
    Eh ?
    On the defensive much ?
    Do you honestly believe there were no fake tickets and /or Liverpool fans jibbing in ?
    I didn’t say the cover up was to protect Liverpool fans did I ?
    Following Ivan’s posts about fans just sitting / standing where they want , I’d be genuinely interested in your POV .
    I’m not defensive, don’t support Liverpool. Just pointing out your obvious bias. It’s been evident throughout the thread.

Re: the fake tickets, if only they’d have saved the CCTV of the 40,000 holding them eh?

I’m not defensive, don’t support Liverpool. Just pointing out your obvious bias. It’s been evident throughout the thread.

Re: the fake tickets, if only they’d have saved the CCTV of the 40,000 holding them eh?
    So you didn’t answer my question then .
    Well done .
    So I’m not a Liverpool cheerleader , great . But I’m a football fan who travels to watch the game . Actions from the other week have consequences going forward , no ? English football fans are badly treated wherever they go ( Germany aside) and there should be a concerted effort to stop this .
    I’m not sure how I can put this across without you pointing out my anti Liverpool bias .

Craftsman
    So you didn’t answer my question then .
    Well done .
    So I’m not a Liverpool cheerleader , great . But I’m a football fan who travels to watch the game . Actions from the other week have consequences going forward , no ? English football fans are badly treated wherever they go ( Germany aside) and there should be a concerted effort to stop this .
    I’m not sure how I can put this across without you pointing out my anti Liverpool bias .
    Blame the French authorities then. I’m not a cheerleader either but the way the event was managed was f**kin disgusting.

Didn’t answer your question, not relevant.

Blame the French authorities then. I’m not a cheerleader either but the way the event was managed was f**kin disgusting.

Didn’t answer your question, not relevant.
    I do blame the French authorities, I’ve not hidden that . I blame the Stadium , the pricks that work the gates and the locals who attacked Liverpool fans .
    I’ll ask again . Are the Liverpool fans who bought and sold fake tickets completely innocent ?
    IsKlopp in any way responsible for thousands of people travelling without tickets ?
    People could have been killed and if questions aren’t answered this time then in the future they will .

Master
    Yes I posted the same from the BBC on the incorrect thread, funny how some were very quick to blame the Liverpool fans.

Yes I posted the same from the BBC on the incorrect thread, funny how some were very quick to blame the Liverpool fans.
    It was the easiest thing to do I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    It was the easiest thing to do I guess...
    Of course
    Now where’s that extra serving of humble pie….

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Of course
    Now where’s that extra serving of humble pie….
    There wouldn't be anything like enough to go around...

Interestingly they mentioned the "outdated" image of English hooligans the police had as one of the reasons behind the way they acted.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    There wouldn't be anything like enough to go around...
    🤣🤣🤣

Master
    I caught this on TV earlier and it's worth a watch - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...hat-went-wrong

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I caught this on TV earlier and it's worth a watch - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...hat-went-wrong
    Clear propaganda, it was the Liverpool fans fault as usual.

Clear propaganda, it was the Liverpool fans fault as usual.
    Has The Sun written an article yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Just watched it on catch up. Mcateer was clearly impacted by it. Must’ve been shocking for him and his wife.

Craftsman
    Just watched it on catch up. Mcateer was clearly impacted by it. Must’ve been shocking for him and his wife.
    Whole thing was shocking

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Whole thing was shocking
    Yes it was. I wasn’t aware of Mcateers experience though which is why I commented on it.

Craftsman
    Yes it was. I wasn’t aware of Mcateers experience though which is why I commented on it.
    Me neither

Craftsman
    Findings of the UEFA investigation have now been published. Numerous failings and attempted cover up reported. Certain members of UEFA, the French police and authorities don't come out of this well at all. Martin Kallen has been called a liar and Liverpool fans have been apologised to.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-main-findings

https://news.sky.com/story/poor-trea...chaos-12810295

Sent from my SM-A137F using Tapatalk

Master
    We won't get an apology from rival fans though.

"Always the victims" will still be sung by 15 of the away ends who visit us every season.

Paris was shocking, I've not been to an away game since and my general interest in football has been massively diminished this season, I know a load of other Reds who were in Paris who feel the same.

For as long as we are treated as just punters rather than the reason the game is as popular as it is this will continue to happen.