closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions league final

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Regarding the entry trouble was it just Liverpool fans that had the issues or was it both sets ?
    Madrid end of the stadium looked full well before kick off. I’ve not seen or heard anything reporting trouble with the Real fans getting into the ground.

We can all come to our own conclusions as to why that might be and why Liverpool fans had all of the problems that has been appearing on various channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champions league final

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    In a general sense, it would be great if our Liverpool and City supporters could partake in the TZ football threads without getting narked all the time. It seriously undermines the discussions.
    In my opinion the proper bile in this thread was spouted by neither Liverpool nor City fans.

Most of the goading it appears by supporters of other clubs.

There is a difference between banter that may be seen on the extreme end of the spectrum, and downright nastiness around propensity for the fans to kill, as spouted by one fella.

Master
    Football reduces grown men to the level of 7 year olds and its not different here unfortunately. Anyone who seeks to minimise the season Liverpool has had can’t be taken seriously, 90 plus points in the league and reached the final of every competition they entered. Disappointing end but if you can’t appreciate them as one of the best club football teams you have seen then football probably isn’t for you.

they found one better in the league, I can’t say city didn’t deserve it they have been magnificent all year and Carlo played his hand perfectly last night.

Craftsman

End of the day Liverpool didn’t create a clear cut chance in 90min while real could of won 2-0.
    No clear cut chances but the Madrid keeper was MOM?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    …and the only time Maine Road had any fans in the stadium was when it hosted the FA cup semi-finals featuring Liverpool back in the 80s.
    Just to pick you up on this point:
    Maine Road's record attendance was set in 1934, when 84,569 people attended an FA Cup tie between Manchester City and Stoke City. It is the record for an English club ground (the 1923 FA Cup Final holds the world record). The following February the stadium recorded the highest Football League attendance. This stood at 79,491 for a game against Arsenal.

Sourced from Wikipedia. No skin in the game as a fan of neither club.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Huge congratulations to Real Madrid, best team in Europe by miles this year beating the champions of France, the champions of England, the champions of Europe and the Carabao Cup winners.
    That’s good banter - some on here could learn a thing or two…

Heysel anniversary today, a date not forgotten by any Liverpool supporter old enough to remember the day it happened, and many who aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Madrid end of the stadium looked full well before kick off. I’ve not seen or heard anything reporting trouble with the Real fans getting into the ground.

We can all come to our own conclusions as to why that might be
    and why Liverpool fans had all of the problems that has been appearing on various channels.

RM fans arrived earlier, fewer fake tickets and better behaved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I’ve brought nothing personal in to this myself. I’ve defended the equivalence of Hillsborough and Heysel as well as challenging statements about fans being killed.

I don’t support Liverpool and wouldn’t want them to win a coin toss. Disappointed to see some of the comments made here though, I’m hoping it was a bit too much drink last night.
    Yes I hope you're right. Despite you not wanting us to win a coin toss, I'm sincerely hoping you guys win the Champs league next year, just so that it gives Ryan some inner peace.
    Last edited by tango; 29th May 2022 at 10:10.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    No clear cut chances but the Madrid keeper was MOM?
    Some amazing saves yes but Liverpool didn’t creat a single chance as clear as the real goal.

I watched the whole game and there wasn’t a single chance where you’d think “how the hell did he miss that” or “he’s got to score” well maybe Salah’s header which he put straight at the keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    I even reckon Spurs could do 'em

Even though City, Liverpool and Chelsea couldn’t?

Err, Ok.

Craftsman
    Some amazing saves yes but Liverpool didn’t creat a single chance as clear as the real goal.

I watched the whole game and there wasn’t a single chance where you’d think “how the hell did he miss that” or “he’s got to score” well maybe Salah’s header which he put straight at the keeper.
    They had some great chances that would have gone in but not for the keeper. Another keeper and it would have been a different scoreline. Courtois was immense.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by GMC41; 29th May 2022 at 10:09.

Craftsman
    Will Liverpool be remembering Heysel today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Will Liverpool be remembering Heysel today.
    Yes Rob, there is a service at the ground mid morning and a remembrance before the parade.

Reading this does make laugh, most of childish hand banging on tables is from grown men who earn good money and probably respect from their piers.

I ask a question, in all the years you have stood up, shouted and supported your club, have any of those words made a difference to the 11 players on that pitch and what happens to that ball??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Even though City, Liverpool and Chelsea couldn’t?

Err, Ok.
    To be fair, we did take 8 points from City and Liverpool last season

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Reading this does make laugh, most of childish hand banging on tables is from grown men who earn good money and probably respect from their piers.

I ask a question, in all the years you have stood up, shouted and supported your club, have any of those words made a difference to the 11 players on that pitch and what happens to that ball??
    Yes. For my last decade (actually, more like couple of decades) at WHL I was located in row 5 on the half-way line. Many a time both players and linesmen acknowledged my helpful contributions and I'd like to think I had a modicum of influence on those occasions
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th May 2022 at 11:22.

Champions league final

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes. For my last decade (actually, more like couple of decades) at WHL I was located in row 5 on the half-way line. Many a time both players and linesmen acknowledged my helpful contributions and I'd like to think I had a modicum of influence on those occasions
    Ahh, so the bad times were your fault :wink:
    I do think Freund sometimes heard our encouragement to shoot

Master
    Blog Entries
    Disappointed both in the result last night and some of the comments on here.

We have a good account of a ourselves and should have put the game to bed in the first half. Something about RM in this competition though and history doesn’t lie.

Terrible from the French authorities ( I’m sure there were some dodgy tickets but not to the level claimed by the French Authorities).

Hopefully I will get some positive comms from family who were there last night.

I will be at the parade later, showing solidarity and support. Two cups is better than nothing.

Absolutely, the most notable I remember was when Scottish striker Gordon (Judas) Dury returned to Stamford Bridge after his summer move because he said he was homesick and missed the North so much he went to Spurs.
    The moment he received the ball after kick off the booing was deafening and remained constant until he was substituted at half time. I’ve never seen a player look so shocked at the reaction of the crowd.

On the days and nights that the crowd at the Bridge are “up for it” the player’s will be too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Terrible from the French authorities ( I’m sure there were some dodgy tickets but not to the level claimed by the French Authorities).
    I was listening to some of the build up to the game on Friday afternoon on Radio 5 Live, they were in the Liverpool Fan Zone.

One guy started saying he’d come to Paris, but hadn’t got a ticket, but wasn’t going to try buying one from a tout either.

He started going on about a ‘blank ticket’ that would get you through the first checkpoints to the stadium and once you were in ‘they couldn’t stop you’.

I wondered what he was on about, and the interviewer did cut him off and move on saying something about not condoning that sort of thing.

Is that what was happening last night to cause all the delays and trouble?

Master
    Andy Robertson has said his mate was turned away because of a fake ticket. This was a ticket given to him by AR, who was given it by LFC/UEFA...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Andy Robertson has said his mate was turned away because of a fake ticket. This was a ticket given to him by AR, who was given it by LFC/UEFA...
    Yes I read that too and it makes thing's very interesting, unless you're one who dismisses what AR says by virtue of him being a Liverpool player.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I was listening to some of the build up to the game on Friday afternoon on Radio 5 Live, they were in the Liverpool Fan Zone.

One guy started saying he’d come to Paris, but hadn’t got a ticket, but wasn’t going to try buying one from a tout either.

He started going on about a ‘blank ticket’ that would get you through the first checkpoints to the stadium and once you were in ‘they couldn’t stop you’.

I wondered what he was on about, and the interviewer did cut him off and move on saying something about not condoning that sort of thing.

Is that what was happening last night to cause all the delays and trouble?
    I’ve just spoken to my nephew who went out there and didn’t get in even whilst having a genuine ticket. He said it was carnage outside when the police started to charge the fans and fire the tear gas.

His account is that all 20,000 Liverpool fans first had to go through a small checkpoint that was manned by 4 people checking tickets, ID and bags. Once through that they were then funnel into a holding area outside their turnstile for 2 hours. Troubled flared when a 100 or so french lads stormed the fences and all ran in. The police swarmed and fired tear gas into the Liverpool fans as they thought it was them who were jumping the fence.

Apparently there is footage of this playing out, I haven’t seen it yet though.

I have heard a lot about Liverpool fans having problems but not about RM fans. Did the same happen but is not reported here? Or was it specifically targeted on the English fans? And if so is it because of their reputation, or because of their behaviour at the last Euros, or just by the police specific dislike of Albion?
    And could the shambles on the M20 and cross Channel services be in part responsible for the whole thing, as English fans arrived on site later than their Spanish counterparts?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I think it all goes back to the 70s and 80s hooligans and the euro clubs still think it’s like that in England.

I’ve travelled everywhere with Liverpool all over Europe and the fans are treated like scum.

Benfica was the last straw for me, I’ve decided I’m not going again. The worst thing for English fans following their team on European aways is going the game.

I don’t think it’s the memories from the seventies. Last year, on local turf, was an absolute disgrace. And it’s a shame for the genuine fans, including those who come with their kids to enjoy the game.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don’t think it’s the memories from the seventies. Last year, on local turf, was an absolute disgrace. And it’s a shame for the genuine fans, including those who come with their kids to enjoy the game.
    You're referring to the Euro's I am assuming and I agree it was disgraceful, it does nothing to dispel the opinions those in Europe hold about us English fans.

It seems that they do.

PS I was at Newcastle's last game of the season at home to Arsenal. You would have to be deaf and blind not to understand that the atmosphere the Newcastle support created did not influence the outcome of game. The performance of the Arsenal players in particular..
    Last edited by raysablade; 29th May 2022 at 14:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I’ve just spoken to my nephew who went out there and didn’t get in even whilst having a genuine ticket. He said it was carnage outside when the police started to charge the fans and fire the tear gas.

His account is that all 20,000 Liverpool fans first had to go through a small checkpoint that was manned by 4 people checking tickets, ID and bags. Once through that they were then funnel into a holding area outside their turnstile for 2 hours. Troubled flared when a 100 or so french lads stormed the fences and all ran in. The police swarmed and fired tear gas into the Liverpool fans as they thought it was them who were jumping the fence.

It does sound more and more like the organisation and authorities didn’t organise or police this to an acceptable standard.

I feel sorry for all those fans who spent a lot of money and were looking forward to what should have been a memorable weekend who through no fault of their own missed out due to the actions of a few idiots.

Just listened to the mayor of Liverpool, saying that it could of happened to any team, not just Liverpool.

But it's always only Liverpool, I was at the 2008 champions League final with Chelsea - no trouble at all. No trouble with real Madrid fans yesterday

Smashing real Madrid's bus last season
    Thousands Breaking lockdown rules in 2020 despite being told not to
    Smashing man city's bus in 2019

I could go on

Always the authorities fault,security was too light, or it was too heavy, never their own behaviour, it's like they are scared to call out their own fans behaviour

I'm sure the authorities don't help but they need to look inwards as well

But they are just harmless scallys....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master

Champions league final

Liverpool have played the most Europe games out of every English side. They’ve played more games that city arsenal and Chelsea combined

We also travel in massive numbers the European games due to us being a global big club.

200,000 fans went to Paris yesterday and there were 64 arrests.

They’ve played more games that city arsenal and Chelsea combined.

Ask any United fans who have been to games in Europe and see how they are treated.

You’ve also ignored the account above from my nephew.

Here’s sky sports news account which matches my nephews account.

But yes ok, just ignore what actually happened it’s just them scousers acting up.

https://youtu.be/0PBu_YTu9wM

Last edited by Ivan Drago; 29th May 2022 at 15:13.

Merseyside Police POV

MERPOL was deployed to this evenings match. Can only describe it as the worst European match I've ever worked or experienced. I thought the behaviour of the fans at the turnstiles was exemplary in shocking circumstances. You were not late 100%

This is Chris’ account too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Is this not part of the problem, 200k going to Paris when they only had 19k tickets.

I have travelled round Europe with united, but never without tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Is this not part of the problem, 200k going to Paris when they only had 19k tickets.

Maybe all had tickets.

Master
    Blog Entries

Many go just for the fan park.

Hey, still two domestic trophies to celebrate.

https://youtu.be/vdLp_lHsLqk

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Many go just for the fan park.
    But with 180k in Paris without a ticket, it only needs a very small amount of drunken scallies to try their hand with fake tickets to then wind up authorities, then all tickets are treated as suspicious

French Police very heavy handed with many foreign teams. My nephew had a bad experience there a few years ago when travelling to a United game. I am sure they were trigger happy

But Klopp encourages fans without tickets to travel. He said they should book their travel for next years final. Surely it’s irresponsible to encourage such numbers to travel. When a fan says he paid £1k for a ticket in Paris yesterday seems mad to think it would be genuine.

My lads went to the Madrid -v- City semi and it was policed firmly but fairly. I’d have been worried for them had City made it to the final in France.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Its a fair point, there were probably a couple of thousand who were trying to actually get in with fake tickets etc.

Solution of the top of my head is to give the clubs a bigger allocation instead of having 40,000 corporate tickets.

Craftsman
    Strange that they had some printed tickets for the champions league final when the Europa league final only had mobile tickets.

Klopp has previous for this, he also told the fans to make it difficult for city, which resulted in the bus incident

Having just watched some of the videos from last night it does look like the authorities where very heavy handed, women and old people getting pepper sprayed is not a great look for uefa or France

Master
    But it is never their fault.

Master
    it's always Liverpool

Always the authorities fault,security was too light, or it was too heavy, never their own behaviour, it's like they are scared to call out their own fans behaviour

I'm sure the authorities don't help but they need to look inwards as well
    Sums it up for me, and after seeing the various pre final interviews with fans it didn't need a clairvoyant to work out that it was unlikely to end well.

Craftsman
    Sky Sports reporter who was at the ground talks about what went on.

https://fb.watch/djobU_qVdP/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Sums it up for me, and after seeing the various pre final interviews with fans it didn't need a clairvoyant to work out that it was unlikely to end well.
    And me.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Hey, still two domestic trophies to celebrate.

https://youtu.be/vdLp_lHsLqk
    Absolutely rocking!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t underestimate how hated ANY ENGLISH CLUBS FANS are in Europe. They are regarded as the scum of the earth irrespective of club colours and are deemed fair game for robust treatment by officialdom and Uncle Tom cobbly and all.

I was on on holiday in Majorca in 1982, yes 40 years ago when Brighton were playing a friendly against Real Mallorca. I went along to see the game with a group of English lads, who on the holiday were decent ‘normal’ guys. Pre game saw a completely turn about face. They became animals looking for anything that moved to be abusive towards and scream at with threats of all sorts being made. Blood was their desire and they wouldn’t back down to anyone, even parents shielding their children from the bile and hate.

Eventually we were chased by fans, locals and anyone who’d had enough of the bile they spewed. Cornered by Police we lined up to be dealt with. I can speak Spanish and when addressed by the police, who were fuelled by the locals demand to sort the English fans out, I explained who I was, where I was from and why I was at the game. The police let me go as I wasn’t English and they only wanted them for all they had done to the locals in Majorca pre-game. They asked why I had even associated with them as they felt Scottish fans were a different breed (that’s a wrong assumption) from the English who the Police felt simply want to fight and cause carnage, abusing everyone and everything.

It was not pretty that night.

So from 40 years and beyond, has the European opinion of English fans changed or had cause to? I’ll leave it there.

It wouldn’t have mattered if last night had been City, Chelsea or Wycombe Wanderers, the French police would have seen it as game on, just as they do in Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland or wherever an English club visits and leaves a trail. English fans are simply hated, everywhere.

Jim

Journeyman
    No trouble with real Madrid fans yesterday.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-61622874

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    3 finals. 330 mins of open football . 0 goals .
    Mentality monsters. The Quad Squad . Best ever . Etc etc etc.
    Not fit to be named as a rival to the dirty oil money state owned club .
    Enjoy your parade .
    Mind you, City had such a great season that Pep took them to within 15 minutes of winning nothing all season....

3 finals and 2 trophies is what a 66% successful rate, or 50% win rate from 4 competitions entered.
    Man City a 25% rate....