closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2840

Thread: Things you'll never understand

I still think lanes 1, 2 and 3 should be set as 60, 70, and 80+

Also if a lorry is limited to 56mph why is it on a 70mph road? Go do that nonsense during unsociable hours like they do in other countries. Absolute clowns on the two lane M11 taking 19 mins to overtake a different lorry doing 54mph.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I still think lanes 1, 2 and 3 should be set as 60, 70, and 80+

Also if a lorry is limited to 56mph why is it on a 70mph road? Go do that nonsense during unsociable hours like they do in other countries. Absolute clowns on the two lane M11 taking 19 mins to overtake a different lorry doing 54mph.
    Agree, the overtakes are stupid for anyone else. Even worse on a DC uphill, love becomes painful then.

Agree on lane speeds, although hard to move from 2-3 possibly. I find it strange that in a car that can do 100mph over limit, that 85mph could get me the same points as someone driving their car at maximum capacity with no margin for error, handling or brakes not up to the task.

Oh well, isn’t going to change.

M4 by us is now all smart motorway filled with dumb drivers. Used to find the quickest lane on the M25 when I commuted was lane 1 at a steady speed, none of the 80 to 20 random braking moments - how do these even happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agree, the overtakes are stupid for anyone else. Even worse on a DC uphill, love becomes painful then.

Agree on lane speeds, although hard to move from 2-3 possibly. I find it strange that in a car that can do 100mph over limit, that 85mph could get me the same points as someone driving their car at maximum capacity with no margin for error, handling or brakes not up to the task.

Oh well, isn’t going to change.

M4 by us is now all smart motorway filled with dumb drivers. Used to find the quickest lane on the M25 when I commuted was lane 1 at a steady speed, none of the 80 to 20 random braking moments - how do these even happen?

Tesla range is killing me. Never knew how difficult driving slow would be. Went to Norwich and back on Monday - should have been able to do it on one charge but of course on the way back it said I’d get back home with -22% so had to pull in and charge. Can’t go over 70 in the damn thing.

Probably concertina effect caused by dumb drivers cutting in and out of lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Do you honestly think that dodging in and out of lane 1 is a safe way to travel?

You say 'lane 1 is clear' - I would say that it has a gap in it that is simply not worth moving into, just to try to come back out in short order.
    I don't think anyone is talking about people who can see a car in the inside lane ahead and are closing on it.

It's the people who sit in the middle lane with nothing in sight, closing on no-one at all and forcing those in the inside lane to pull out two lanes to pass the moron asleep behind the wheel.

If you fall into the latter category, you're the danger on the road, not people who are aware enough to know the inside lane is clear and they're not gaining on other traffic fast enough to justify staying out of it for a few moments.

These people are exactly like the lorry drivers who pull out at the start of a hill. Simple situational awareness is absent.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think anyone is talking about people who can see a car in the inside lane ahead and are closing on it.

It's the people who sit in the middle lane with nothing in sight, closing on no-one at all and forcing those in the inside lane to pull out two lanes to pass the moron asleep behind the wheel.

If you fall into the latter category, you're the danger on the road, not people who are aware enough to know the inside lane is clear and they're not gaining on other traffic fast enough to justify staying out of it for a few moments.

These people are exactly like the lorry drivers who pull out at the start of a hill. Simple situational awareness is absent.

M
    Most people in the U.K. don’t appear to know, you are supposed to travel in the left lane on the motorway and use the other two for overtaking - it’s the same as a normal road, you drive on the left of it.

On the continent, the lack of passive aggressive cretins sat at exactly 70mph in the middle lane is refreshingly low, they seem to have consideration that others wish to travel faster safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    On the continent, the lack of passive aggressive cretins sat at exactly 70mph in the middle lane is refreshingly low, they seem to have consideration that others wish to travel faster illegally.
    FTFY ;)

I’d say half a mile is a long distance & you are not exactly gaining rapidly. So pulling in would be better especially on a busy motorway.

If you can use your mirrors, there is no risk to safety in pulling in & out, that’s just stupid to think that. If you fear there is a risk, I fear for you being on a motorway to be honest.

What is the half mile distance? Is it the gap in the traffic or is it the distance I would travel before having to move back out, at my constant speed? Those two distances are different - you do see that?

M

Your first sentence is exactly the scenario I described - maybe I didn’t make that clear, or maybe you read something that wasn’t said. I’ll go back and check.

I reckon my lane discipline is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Ooh, calling it the 'fast lane'. I'll grab some popcorn.
    Nomnomnom
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Nomnomnom

Blog Entries

M
    Amuses me when people keep pulling in and out of lanes all the time. You can almost hear them saying look at me I'm pulling in. They see a gap and pull in and you know they're going to pull out again in 30 seconds time. Almost as funny as the guy who roars up behind you and sits on your boot, when you're in the outside lane passing cars in the middle lane, like you're going to get out of his way or speed up.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    M4 by us is now all smart motorway filled with dumb drivers.
    Or maybe a dumb motorway filled with dumb drivers. The M4 is a nightmare since they spent a fortune ‘improving’ it, journey times are worse and it’s less safe. The moment it goes to four lanes, everyone panics and completely forgets how to drive, you have cars at random speeds in all lanes, overtaking on the left everywhere, total chaos. And added to that, the ever present feeling you might get a ticket if you don’t keep track of the changing speed limits, or killed if your car has a problem. I can imagine someone writing a poorly thought out paper proposing this, but it’s a national scandal that it actually happened.

Things you'll never understand

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Amuses me when people keep pulling in and out of lanes all the time. You can almost hear them saying look at me I'm pulling in. They see a gap and pull in and you know they're going to pull out again in 30 seconds time. Almost as funny as the guy who roars up behind you and sits on your boot, when you're in the outside lane passing cars in the middle lane, like you're going to get out of his way or speed up.
    Better to just sit in the middle lane, no confusion about when to overtake or what the rules of the road are - just sit there at 70mph or a bit less, all good - have a nap maybe.

Master
    Most people in the U.K. don’t appear to know, you are supposed to travel in the left lane on the motorway and use the other two for overtaking - it’s the same as a normal road, you drive on the left of it.

On the continent, the lack of passive aggressive cretins sat at exactly 70mph in the middle lane is refreshingly low, they seem to have consideration that others wish to travel faster safely.
    This. 100%

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Or maybe a dumb motorway filled with dumb drivers. The M4 is a nightmare since they spent a fortune ‘improving’ it, journey times are worse and it’s less safe. The moment it goes to four lanes, everyone panics and completely forgets how to drive, you have cars at random speeds in all lanes, overtaking on the left everywhere, total chaos. And added to that, the ever present feeling you might get a ticket if you don’t keep track of the changing speed limits, or killed if your car has a problem. I can imagine someone writing a poorly thought out paper proposing this, but it’s a national scandal that it actually happened.
    Why doesn't someone in these meetings stand up and say "hold on a minute, this is stupid and we should be doing this"...

Blog Entries
    Better to just sit in the middle lane, no confusion about when to overtake or what the rules of the road are - just sit there at 70mph or a bit less, all good - have a nap maybe.
    Nah, too busy whacking along in the BMW lane.

Master
    Scarily true. I used to drive 30k a year in my youth, so glad I don’t have to these days. Behaviours, disciplines all scare the daylight from me. National motorway refresher course required.

No way am I sitting in my car if there is an issue with it & can’t get to the parking area or whatever we call them on these things.

I came back from Heathrow on it yesterday. i haven't used it for years but it looks completely different now, if it weren't for the signs I wouldn't have known it was the M4.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    All this talk of Thor. So much interest in Norse mythology here.
    I tried to use Norse in Wordle & it didn't accept it as a word

Things you`ll never understand.

Boat-in-a-garden.
    Specifically, unproportionally-large-sized-for-the-garden boats that are miles from the nearest body of water or coast languishing under a tattered tarpaulin in a suburban front yard that have seemingly not moved or been worked on for years.
    C`mon owner, we all know that you are never going to finish that boat so do all your neighbours a huge favour and get shot of that omnipresent eyesore and relieve yourself of the burden and self-delusion that it will one day be set afloat and transport you on your dream voyage toward the sunset. It`s never going to happen.....
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 29th March 2022 at 00:01.

Master
    Not to be confused with the Scottish village:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_of_Garten

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Boat-in-a-garden.
    Specifically, unproportionally-large-sized-for-the-garden boats that are miles from the nearest body of water or coast languishing under a tattered tarpaulin in a suburban front yard that have seemingly not moved or been worked on for years.
    C`mon owner, we all know that you are never going to finish that boat so do all your neighbours a huge favour and get shot of that omnipresent eyesore and relieve yourself of the burden and self-delusion that it will one day be set afloat and transport you on your dream voyage toward the sunset. It`s never going to happen.....

Boat-in-a-garden.
    It is not just boats and front gardens.
    The view from the house into their rear garden must be amazing....

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0921...7i13312!8i6656

Master
    Why people f*ck up, make asses of themselves, lose money, then come on a public forum to tell everyone about it?

Why so many British men now dress as if they are going to climb the Matterhorn when they pop to the shops for a pint of milk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Why so many British men now dress as if they are going to climb the Matterhorn when they pop to the shops for a pint of milk.
    Because it's cold? :-)

And why do so many women wear pyjamas when popping to the shops? Not that I should complain really.

Big men walking little dogs. I mean guys who are well over 6 foot walking a rodent on a washing line that’s zig zagging all over the place. Then you see women walking along with something that looks like Spike out of Tom & Jerry who looks like she off to a dog fight.

All very strange.

Blog Entries
    Boat-in-a-garden.
    Boat on a farm. Gloucestershire. Not anywhere near open water.

z

^ It’s all those 1980s ‘Bullseye’ prize winners that lived miles from water I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    And what's with all the 'Giant Haystacks' beards.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ^ It’s all those 1980s ‘Bullseye’ prize winners that lived miles from water I guess.
    Super, smashing, lovely!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Boat on a farm. Gloucestershire. Not anywhere near open water.

z
    Prepping for sea level rise?

Why people on grand designs spend a fortune and many years of sweat and toil building a house with massive windows yet dont seem to think to put up curtains, blinds or something to prevent people from seeing in. How do these people get a cup of tea in the morning or even just sit and watch TV in the evening? Must be like living in a goldfish bowl.

Why do people queue 3 or 4 deep (as I noted earlier today) to park up on the "right" side of a petrol pump when there are vacant pumps on the "wrong" side?

Still, it worked in my favour today. I'd pulled up, filled up and driven off whilst others were still waiting their turn...

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Why do people queue 3 or 4 deep (as I noted earlier today) to park up on the "right" side of a petrol pump when there are vacant pumps on the "wrong" side?

Still, it worked in my favour today. I'd pulled up, filled up and driven off whilst others were still waiting their turn...
    They don't want to damage their ceramic coating with the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They don't want to damage their ceramic coating with the hose.
    I like your style, Sir.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

I do that. But then I'm never in a hurry so it doesn't bother me to wait. Those who are in a hurry are probably grateful to fill up quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Big men walking little dogs. I mean guys who are well over 6 foot walking a rodent on a washing line that’s zig zagging all over the place.
    That's me then Ken 😂. Sometimes I have to look after a friend's little foxy looking thing.

Physics in Bollywood movies.

This sort of behaviour at airport security

I do that.
    Even when you`re on the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why people on grand designs spend a fortune and many years of sweat and toil building a house with massive windows yet dont seem to think to put up curtains, blinds or something to prevent people from seeing in. How do these people get a cup of tea in the morning or even just sit and watch TV in the evening? Must be like living in a goldfish bowl.

The type of people who voluntarily go on national TV, and have millions of people see every detail of their homes, inside and out, aren’t concerned about privacy, quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    OMG!

Blog Entries
    That's insane!

Why the security people even allowing that to develop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    And why aren't there ever any possessions or anything else on show? Not a pair of shoes at the door, no magazines lying around nothing.

Blog Entries
    Even when you`re on the bike?

Black Widows don't queue!

They sell Blaunkput TVs and MoonSwatches at airport security now?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    They sell Blaunkput TVs and MoonSwatches at airport security now?
    Black Friday everyday, everywhere for some.

Black Widows don't queue!

Right turn Clyde

What caused the pile-up though? Big bottleneck at an understaffed security gate?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Right turn Clyde

(apparently Clyde's trainer was less than kind to him it emerged some years later, unfortunately)