closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Zenith Defy models

Master

New Zenith Defy models

New Zenith models announced.

Not sure what to make of them, tbh. Constantly running 1/10th second hand within a 10 second sub dial.

Supposedly references vintage Defy models, but has a distinct hint of AP to my eye.

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb/defy-skyline

Lovely looking watch, but I'd want it with conventional sub-seconds. I do like the white dial though.

Very nice indeed, like the blue and the white.

Agree that is a weird complication though. Got to be unique?

Looks good, however I think that the 10s sub dial would annoy me too much to give one a try.

Will be interesting to see if they subsequently bring out further models with conventional sub-seconds, or centre seconds.

Master
    They think they are being controversial/trolling the state of the watch industry again, but with this one they have over stepped the mark. The zenith CEO must think he is JCB mark 2!

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Very nice indeed, like the blue and the white.

Agree that is a weird complication though. Got to be unique?
    Habring2 with their Foudroyante is the crazier as it moves every ⅛ second and a full rotation is just 1 second. This Zenith one seems rather less exciting frankly!

Master

Nothing comes close to the original. Not my watch or picture.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

Nothing comes close to the original. Not my watch or picture.
    Haven’t they just done a revival version of these?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Haven’t they just done a revival version of these?
    Hadn’t heard of that. I’d certainly like to think so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Hadn’t heard of that. I’d certainly like to think so.
    Yep, thought I’d seen it somewhere:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/zenith-...l-a3642-watch/

I couldn't live with that subdial-it would make me feel like I was in a rush all the time.

Craftsman

New Zenith Defy models

New Zenith models announced.

Not sure what to make of them, tbh. Constantly running 1/10th second hand within a 10 second sub dial.

Supposedly references vintage Defy models, but has a distinct hint of AP to my eye.

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb/defy-skyline

The dial layout reminds me of the vacheron overseas 38mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by optix; 24th January 2022 at 13:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Habring2 with their Foudroyante is the crazier as it moves every ⅛ second and a full rotation is just 1 second. This Zenith one seems rather less exciting frankly!
    I was thinking that - and the JLC duometre.
    I was hoping this was the same, but it is just that the seconds hand goes around that sub dial every ten seconds - seems completely pointless

Zenith out to do something a bit different, but wide of the mark just like the 6 coloured bezel on the el primero

I just don't get it. At all. I suppose the minute track is big enough to make you think you could know the exact time, but it would be a pain in the arse to work it out. Why make a watch that's more difficult to read?

Love Zenith but this looks more like a modern GP Laureato to me than the watch it is supposed to be a revival of and I can’t see why anyone could ever need a constantly running 1/10th second hand.

Zenith having a punt at producing an over RRP model?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I just don't get it. At all. I suppose the minute track is big enough to make you think you could know the exact time, but it would be a pain in the arse to work it out. Why make a watch that's more difficult to read?
    But unless the minute hand is slaved to the seconds hand so that you can actually tell (with difficulty) whether you're at 10, 20, 30 etc. seconds then it is even more pointless!

Craftsman
    I like it & much like the Habring, find the faster moving sub dial an interesting addition to the watch.
    I rarely if ever set my watch to the second so that aspect of some inaccuracy doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Overall I really like the design, and can see it as a really good blend of the old & new Defy models. As a sports watch with integrated bracelet I think it works well & I prefer it over the current modern Defy, which whilst nice, is a bit generic and lacking in the link to past models that this one has.

Like the look of it, but the marketing blurbs on their website are painful.

'The DEFY Skyline is dedicated to those who follow their light and forge their own path on their journey towards their star.'

'Celestial Horizon
    Recalling the seemingly still night sky above a bustling city that never sleeps, the geometrical dial is embellished with a perfectly aligned pattern consisting of engraved four-pointed stars.'

'A constantly running 1/10th of a second hand makes steady jumps in fixed increments, completing one revolution every 10 seconds and reminding the wearer of the fleeting nature of time.'

I can just about go along with the nature inspired Grand Seiko dials, but this is too much.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    ... seems completely pointless...

You just described the world of mechanical watches

Expensive toys for old boys...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    The dial layout reminds me of the vacheron overseas 38mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was going to say 4500V - but your right! Price is not matched though.

I only assume Zenith want to keep the 1rev every 10sec for the second hand because it's an interesting complication and added as a USP and possible because of the 3600 derived base movement.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th January 2022 at 17:57.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    You just described the world of mechanical watches

Expensive toys for old boys...
    True, but most complications have some logic behind them. A second hand that goes around once every ten seconds just makes no sense. Chronograph, ok because you can stop it, but running seconds?

I am no stranger to oddball watches, and just sold my Zenith Defy 21 (1/100 second chronograph - why? Because they can), and have another Defy eXtreme (who would take a zenith chronograph to 1000m under water), but this seems even more pointless than others

Aesthetically I consider this a significant step backward from it's predecessor. This one doesn't appeal to me at all.

I like it but:

It’s too big.

It looks too much like an APRO. I guess there’s only so much one can do with that sort of design.

Also, I like the subdial. It’s the most original thing on the watch.

Master
    I suspect that like the others in the range, it will look like a large Lego model of the watch you really want.

That's nice but for similar style the Hublot Orlinski is nicer

Master
    Blog Entries
    Same story with most of the new Zenith releases, like but don’t love.

If they make a pink cover girl I’d buy one at list, but that’s about it.

Master
    If it had a conventional sub seconds, it would be a winner. With the ten second thingy, total pass. Bordering on ridiculous.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This just shouts GP to me, I want to like it, and I do because I love 70s integrated designs, but I really want Zenith to not be an accessible derivative of something else, if that makes sense. The pilot line stands on its own but defy is such a blend-in with the APRO/Laureato stable.

The one I have had my eye on for a while, and is completely unsuitable for TZ is the womens defy midnight.
    I think the dial is standout, just wish it was bigger!

image uploader

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Same story with most of the new Zenith releases, like but don’t love.

If they make a pink cover girl I’d buy one at list, but that’s about it.

They did, but it was a piece unique for a charity auction. Pretty cool actually:

Master
    Blog Entries
    They did, but it was a piece unique for a charity auction. Pretty cool actually:

As a production model I meant sorry, that was a one off. Getting a spare dial would be hard work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    As a production model I meant sorry, that was a one off. Getting a spare dial would be hard work.
    Yeah, I wonder if they made spares?!

I know Salmon's been done to death over the last couple of years, but this would probably see me dipping into my pocket:

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This just shouts GP to me, I want to like it, and I do because I love 70s integrated designs, but I really want Zenith to not be an accessible derivative of something else, if that makes sense. The pilot line stands on its own but defy is such a blend-in with the APRO/Laureato stable.

The one I have had my eye on for a while, and is completely unsuitable for TZ is the womens defy midnight.
    I think the dial is standout, just wish it was bigger!

image uploader
    I do like the look of that black version. If it weren't for the diamonds I'd wear that in a heartbeat.

Craftsman
    Interesting that they have upped the ante on movement, screw down crown and strap change from the Defy Classic. I still prefer the aesthetics of the Classic though.

Master
    Not sure what to think of it until I see it in the flesh

Mixture of VC, AP, Hublot going on there

Not feeling it.

Handled one of these today (blue dial). Wow! Superb watch and they also come with rubber strap on deployant included in the set (quick release mechanism a la VC Overseas).

Yes it looks like a AP RO although the original defy came out before the AP. Its not as nicely finished as a RO (especially the movement) but I think the bracelet is actually better than the RO as it doesn't have the horrible sharp edges of the RO bracelet or the hair pulling tendencies. RO bezel is better finished

The sub second is a weird complication - not sure what the point of it is. But I'd definitely consider the blue or white dial and at £7100 that's a huge bang for your buck there. I think it for sure holds its own against the Chopard Alpine Eagle and GP Laureato and whilst definitely the VC Overseas and AP RO are finer watches they aren't 3x better given the fact that at RRP the Zenith costs a third (and you have bugger all chance of getting the RO at RRP, and whilst the Overseas seem to be coming through more readily now you are still looking at a wait)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 9th May 2022 at 00:37.

Journeyman
    Zenith have a tonne of left over chronographless el primeros from their failed synopsis/espada lines so I assume this is an attempt to justify the movements continued space on the production line.

The seconds is just ridiculous, neither technically impressive nor useful compared to just a high beat, central seconds hand.

As far as the case goes, it looks like Zenith are attempting to make a H.moser style 'swiss icons' mashup of other brands original designs.

Meh, they should just stick to chronomasters.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Handled one of these today (blue dial). Wow! Superb watch and they also come with rubber strap on deployant included in the set (quick release mechanism a la VC Overseas).

Yes it looks like a AP RO although the original defy came out before the AP. Its not as nicely finished as a RO (especially the movement) but I think the bracelet is actually better than the RO as it doesn't have the horrible sharp edges of the RO bracelet or the hair pulling tendencies. RO bezel is better finished

The sub second is a weird complication - not sure what the point of it is. But I'd definitely consider the blue or white dial and at £7100 that's a huge bang for your buck there. I think it for sure holds its own against the Chopard Alpine Eagle and GP Laureato and whilst definitely the VC Overseas and AP RO are finer watches they aren't 3x better given the fact that at RRP the Zenith costs a third (and you have bugger all chance of getting the RO at RRP, and whilst the Overseas seem to be coming through more readily now you are still looking at a wait)
    How did you find the size, Ryan? In some photos I've seen, it looks pretty chunky. Is the lug to lug length ok? Like you, I like the look of the watch but am not sure about the sub second dial! Will have to track one down to see in person soon.

Craftsman
    Has anyone picked one of these up? I'm really looking the look of the white dial with the green rubber strap as a sportier option, but the versatility alongside the bracelet is also very appealing.

Would love to see some shots on real humans and hear members thoughts! Pics from Google.Photo-Jan-18-1-27-13-PM-scaled.jpgzenith-defy-skyline-models.jpg

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Has anyone picked one of these up? I'm really looking the look of the white dial with the green rubber strap as a sportier option, but the versatility alongside the bracelet is also very appealing.

Would love to see some shots on real humans and hear members thoughts! Pics from Google.Photo-Jan-18-1-27-13-PM-scaled.jpgzenith-defy-skyline-models.jpg

check YouTube - a few reviews there. The lug to lug with the flared bracelet is approx 55mm and with the rubber 48mm.

(Too similar to my VC4500 so can’t see myself getting the Zenith - where I get the same happening on bracelet, so I tend to wear it on rubber or leather)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Last time I looked at a Zenith Defy, as I really like them, there was no micro adjustment on the bracelet and they didn't even make a half link so I abandoned the idea of buying one, anyone know if this has changed?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    check YouTube - a few reviews there. The lug to lug with the flared bracelet is approx 55mm and with the rubber 48mm.

(Too similar to my VC4500 so can’t see myself getting the Zenith - where I get the same happening on bracelet, so I tend to wear it on rubber or leather)
    Thanks Martyn - I've added a few YT videos to my Watch Later so will have a good look. Will see if somewhere local has some in and go try it on too.