closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Hybrid View

Master
    I love those Scott Endorphin's and have had them on my Ebay watch list for years. They only ever come up in medium though and sometimes large and I suspect a medium would be slightly too big for me looking at the specs.

Here's my slice of 90's nostalgia, a Merlin XLM from 1996 -

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I love those Scott Endorphin's and have had them on my Ebay watch list for years. They only ever come up in medium though and sometimes large and I suspect a medium would be slightly too big for me looking at the specs.

Here's my slice of 90's nostalgia, a Merlin XLM from 1996 -

There's something about a titanium bike that I really like

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    There's something about a titanium bike that I really like
    Yup Croix de Fer Titanium here, no cleaning or polishing, just lovely welds to look at. However not as light as I expected but soooooo compliant on the trails.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Yup Croix de Fer Titanium here, no cleaning or polishing, just lovely welds to look at. However not as light as I expected but soooooo compliant on the trails.
    Runs like it's on rails. This is my holiday bike. It permanently lives in the south of France. I bought it from eBay as a box of bits & had it built up. The seller said that her brother had bought the components but had become ill & had subsequently died before being able to enjoy it. It might not be true but I like to think it is & it makes me enjoy it all the more. Reminds me to appreciate being alive all the more:

Master
    Looking for a bit of advice, as considering buying a bike - I have been inspired by the number of cyclists I see around, and my son is getting more confident in his cycling so will go out with him too.

I think a hybrid will suit my needs best as likely to do a some on road, and some down a disused railway line.

Thinking of spending around £500, but would up the budget if there is a good justification. Would be happy with second hand (if anyone is selling) - I also put up a WTB for a Large hybrid (I am 6 foot, and would not describe myself as an athlete, but relatively active)

Any advice welcome on what to avoid, and any particular recommendations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Looking for a bit of advice, as considering buying a bike - I have been inspired by the number of cyclists I see around, and my son is getting more confident in his cycling so will go out with him too.

I think a hybrid will suit my needs best as likely to do a some on road, and some down a disused railway line.

Thinking of spending around £500, but would up the budget if there is a good justification. Would be happy with second hand (if anyone is selling) - I also put up a WTB for a Large hybrid (I am 6 foot, and would not describe myself as an athlete, but relatively active)

Any advice welcome on what to avoid, and any particular recommendations
    Hope you don't mind me shoving my oar in. When people say 'hybrid', they are normally referring to basically a flat bar road bike with tyres that can take a towpath. I'd always encourage people looking for a bike that can handle mixed terrain to go for something that is classed as either a CX / gravel / adventure bike (the terms change with current fashion). Drop handlebars are generally better as they allow you to mix up hand positions, which helps stave off what you might term 'position fatigue'. And the geo / tyre clearances of these bikes just make things a bit more efficient and flexible for more uses.

All IMHO of course!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Hope you don't mind me shoving my oar in. When people say 'hybrid', they are normally referring to basically a flat bar road bike with tyres that can take a towpath. I'd always encourage people looking for a bike that can handle mixed terrain to go for something that is classed as either a CX / gravel / adventure bike (the terms change with current fashion). Drop handlebars are generally better as they allow you to mix up hand positions, which helps stave off what you might term 'position fatigue'. And the geo / tyre clearances of these bikes just make things a bit more efficient and flexible for more uses.

All IMHO of course!
    Thanks - I hadn’t considered drop handle bars as I had assumed these were all road bikes, but opens up another type to look at

Master

Bikes on the road due to CV 19

I dont know how many other people have noticed the number of classic 90’s bike appearing on the roads recently. On my daily exercise walk Im seeng Marin’s Treks and Giants from the 90’s all being ridden by somewhat red faced slightly portly men.

You can spot the bikes as the tube profile are round and super thin , denoting steel frames compared to our hydroformed Aluminium or swooping carbon steeds.

The thing is these bikes are immaculate, they must have been pushed up against the wall by their owners in the early 90’s and left there. I even saw a Raleigh in the 1970’s blue headstock and white and yellow frame, the other day stunning condition. Unlike its owner who was pushing it up the hill. Strange times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Thanks - I hadn’t considered drop handle bars as I had assumed these were all road bikes, but opens up another type to look at
    There will be equivalents from different brands but to give you an idea you can look at the following Specialized models: Sirrus, Sirrus X, Diverge.

The Sirrus is a hybrid that is more road focussed, the Sirrus X is the same but a bit more 'do it all', and the Diverge is similar to a mountain bike but in the frame of a road bike. It's meant to be very good as a first road bike did to the forgiving position. If none of their float your boat the Crosstrail is worth a look.

Merida are meant to be made in the same factory as Specialized so are a good option if trying to keep the cost down.